Code of Conduct

Default Hello!...I'm new here and looking for a recommendation

In the developing world of Internet forums, this is the first truly international community I've ever joined and I am proud to be part of it. I've been visiting the site for a while and find it very interesting. There is much to be learned here and perhaps someday I might even be able to contribute.

At 46 years of age, I've only dabbled in the world of fragrances and am looking for a true signature fragrance. My current wardrobe consists of Romeo Gigli, Chanel Egoiste, Chanel for Men, Obsession, Gigli Sud, Versace Black Jeans and assorted cants of Bvlgari, Prada, Cartier and even several Bay rums.

Powder and sandalwood are my least favorite base notes (even worse at the same time), but they seem to dominate the market. I think the fragrance I'm looking for would likely have cedar, balsam, patchouli and/or musk base notes. The fragrance should also only be detectable to someone within my personal space or if I were to invade there's...subtle yet distinctive and provocative.

As a General Contractor in the construction industry, most of my day is spent around other men so sweet flowery notes won't work, but evenings are usually spent with women of various relationships from friendships to courtships. While I can't say cost is not a factor, I do however, expect to pay a premium price for such an elusive request.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Serpent

Default Re: Hello!...I'm new here and looking for a recommendation

Immediately, Déclaration, Terre d'Hermès, Kouros, Givenchy Gentleman, Rush for Men, Eau d'Hermès, and Rive Gauche pour Homme come to mind. You say you hate sandalwood, yet you own Égoïste, which is sandalwoody; I take it you can handle vanilla. Opium pour Homme - which is vanilla and cedar - might work.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I own Egoiste, but seldom wear it, when I do it's just a walk through.

I second Terre d'Hermes.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Immediately, Déclaration, Terre d'Hermès, Kouros, Givenchy Gentleman, Rush for Men, Eau d'Hermès, and Rive Gauche pour Homme come to mind. You say you hate sandalwood, yet you own Égoïste, which is sandalwoody; I take it you can handle vanilla. Opium pour Homme - which is vanilla and cedar - might work.
    I'll go with Serpent on the Opium. But if you get the EDT instead of the EDP you will be getting a peppery blast that may be a bit hard to take. I suggest the EDP. Its a bit more expensive, and a bit harder to find. But by god its worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Givenchy Gentleman recommendation but we warned it sometimes takes a little time to really start appreceating it. Try it for a few days before you make your final judgement on it. I didn't like it much the first time I tried it, now it is easily one of my favorites. Lady friends regularly compliment me on it. It will also last a full day on me, 10 to 12 hours.

Working around wood all day? Then perhaps Gucci pour Homme by Gucci - cedar/pencil shavings are predominant.

Terre D'Hermes can be quite citrusy on some (on me for example), and might come off as a bit "odd" around "the guys".

I'd step it up and go for Creed's GIT - clean, green, and not mean, very satisfying to many noses of both sexes; thus, as in your current lifestyle, may be appropo for both of your described "day" (men) and "night" (women) situations. If Creed's are too $$$ for your budget, many knockoffs are around these days (although I've never smelled any of them).
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    I think the fragrance I'm looking for would likely have cedar, balsam, patchouli and/or musk base notes. The fragrance should also only be detectable to someone within my personal space or if I were to invade there's...subtle yet distinctive and provocative.
    Sounds like Dzing by L'Artisan.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Ah, Dzing - the barnyard smell. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeram1
    Ah, Dzing - the barnyard smell. . . .
    Dzing is a perfectly good recommendation, going by the notes he's looking for. On the other hand, I have to completely disagree with your GIT recommendation. The original poster clearly stated that he didn't want a frag with sandalwood in the base. Here are GIT's notes, from the BN Directory:
    Top Notes
    Lemon, Verbena,
    Middle Notes
    Iris, Violet Leaves,
    Base Notes
    Mysore Sandalwood, Ambergris,
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I would suggest you try Loewe Esencia.

Hard to describe, but it is a kind of unsweet herbal aromatic - with a leathery & musky drydown.
    Like many of the Spanish fragrances, it is very masculine.
    Can be a bit much at first spray, but given half an hour to settle, it is magic - and lasts well.
    It's a bit pricey at the Loewe boutiques, but you can get it at a great price from internet stores.

[QUOTE=DJB]Dzing is a perfectly good recommendation, going by the notes he's looking for. On the other hand, I have to completely disagree with your GIT recommendation. The original poster clearly stated that he didn't want a frag with sandalwood in the base. Here are GIT's notes, from the BN Directory:
    Top Notes
    Lemon, Verbena,
    Middle Notes
    Iris, Violet Leaves,
    Base Notes
    Mysore Sandalwood, Ambergris,[/QUOTE]

Can you really pick out the sandalwood from all of the other wonderfully blended "notes"?

I was trying to get the original poster to "see the light" of other possible scent combinations that weren't already in his arsenal.

He did say "subtle" (and I think "distinguishing") - so the fresh barnyard smell w/ strong sillage still applies?
    It seems that not only on this board, but many others as well, that Dzing has lots of detractors, whilst GIT appears
    to be seen as "classy" (albeit not by all noters, but what fragrance has been a 100% hit with everyone).

Thus, I chose to mention GIT, not in least due to the fact that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

How many knockoffs of Creed's are there? How many for Dzing (and L'artisan's line in general)? Sure, L'A is, at times, unique/interesting; but I've read many more times that others think that while some of their stuff may smell good, they just couldn't figure out an appropriate situation to wear such odours. GIT, on the otherhand . . . .

Nevertheless, I shall remove GIT from the recommendations. Happy now? Feel vindicated? A better human being?
    Last edited by zeram1; 23rd September 2006 at 08:36 AM.

I recommend GIT over Dzing twenty times out of ten. Good for day and night, any situation, non offensive.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Caron Third Man would be my top recommendation. It's got most of the notes you like and none that you don't plus it's just a very well made, classy fragrance. Another option might be Gucci Envy for Men, a perennial favorite around here, but for good reasons; although it may have more sillage than you want. If you must wear a green, consider Aramis Devin which also has several notes you like, but no sandalwood, and at a much more reasonable price than that Tweedy stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

From what you have said, I recommend you check out Creed Tabarome Millisime.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Perhaps I should clarify a few things first.
    Working around wood all day?
    As much as I miss doing the physical building, my role in the business is primarily administrative...non the less, construction is largely still a man's world...in mid-west America anyway.

I think the fragrance I'm looking for would likely have cedar, balsam, patchouli and/or musk base notes.
    The operative words here are and/or, not necessarily all.

I read the reviews on Dzing and never laughed so hard, some very witty observances. While it certainly sounds distinctive, I'd hate for someone to think I live in a trailer with a traveling zoo. I understand the qualities of a developed nose, but realistically, most people who will be exposed to the fragrance will not have one. As opposed to tasting a wine during dinner, when you take a sip, not everyone in the room tastes it.

I'll likely seek out Dzing just because of the range of opinions.

Also, as I've stated earlier...I've only dabbled with fragrances and I don't know the Mfr's of many of the names some of you have recommended and they don't show up in the reviews. I ordered Rush, Gentlemen and G.I.T., but would like to review and obtain additional recommendations.

Who makes Terre D'Hermes, Declaration, Kouros?
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 23rd September 2006 at 01:25 PM.

Welcome! May I suggest:
    Zino
    Lalique Pour Homme (Lalique Lion) [Equus would also work - lots of wood in that]
    Latitude Longitude (quite woodsy)
    New York - PdN

I'm tempted to put Z-14 but it is too strong, and Lauder for Men (very masculine), but it has a bit of florals in it which you might not like. Dunhill '34 showed up, but IMNSHO there's no way it doesn't have sandalwood, I don't care what the pyramid says.

You might do a search in the directory against the notes "patchouli cedar musk", and limit it if you want to masculine frags. Quite a bit showed up. You''l have to look by eye for sandalwood in the pyramid, but sandalwood is pretty much everything.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    I read the reviews on Dzing and never laughed so hard, some very witty observances. While it certainly sounds distinctive, I'd hate for someone to think I live in a trailer with a traveling zoo.
    I've never understood the whole "Dzing! smells like a zoo/circus" thing. I'll be crucified for this, but it's largely true: That's the power of marketing. L'Artisan tells people it smells like a circus, so it must smell like one, right? It actually starts off smelling like corrugated cardboard, and it dries to something not unlike Shalimar - that is, vanilla and sandalwood. If you don't like that particular wood note, you won't like Dzing!

Who makes Terre D'Hermes, Declaration, Kouros?
    Terre d'Hermès = Hermès
    Déclaration = Cartier
    Kouros = Yves Saint Laurent

Post Thanks / Like

CuyahogaJoe, three recommendations for an individualist:
    Dior: Eau Noire
    Knize: Knize ten
    Montale: Aoud Cuir d'Arabie

Dior is the safest, unless a light sweetness is tabu!

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

You may smell "barnyard" but that doesn't mean everyone else will. I agree with Serpent's comment on the power of marketing and suggestion. Dzing doesn't have strong sillage. On me, after the first few minutes, it stays close to the skin. I don't get any sandalwood from it, just cedar...although it's possible sandalwood is in there, and if it is it's very subdued.

The guy threw out some notes he likes, and immediately Dzing came into my head. Give him a chance to decide for himself if he likes it before you say it smells like a barnyard. Although you may not care for it, many people like it, and it's highly rated on this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why not some dry woody scents?
    Dzing!
    Rive Gauche
    M7
    Gucci pour Homme

Dzing! is your best bet.

As I previously stated, several other boards have claimed the "hay/barnyard" concern. If you'd like mainly a women's perspective, check out (for one example) makeupalley.com (predominantly women rating/discussing frags over there). Also boisdejasmin, or NST, or PST (all excellent sites as well).

My bad for he did initially state "distinctive" but never said "distinguished" - so, once again remove my suggestion of GIT and replace it w/ Dzing!

he did initially state "distinctive" but never said "distinguished" - so, once again remove my suggestion of GIT and replace it w/ Dzing!
    Based on other recommendations and reveiws, I have ordered the GIT and I'm going to preveiw the Dzing next time I go to Nordstroms or Saks (if they have it).

Thank you EVERYONE for your contributions. I've got 26 recommendations so far and have only reveiwed 6 or 7 as of the time of this post, but fully welcome others or seconds on existing.

I very much appreciate all of the input.

Have you considered XS? I find that would be I scent I would consider in your circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

As I previously stated, several other boards have claimed the "hay/barnyard" concern. If you'd like mainly a women's perspective, check out (for one example) makeupalley.com (predominantly women rating/discussing frags over there). Also boisdejasmin, or NST, or PST (all excellent sites as well).

My bad for he did initially state "distinctive" but never said "distinguished" - so, once again remove my suggestion of GIT and replace it w/ Dzing!
    I'm aware of those sites and do visit them occasionally (thank you for the suggestion)but I do much prefer Basenotes over those, as the reviews on the other sites definitely are feminine perspective.

But the recommended websites were for the op, not any followups.

He was asking for a frag suitable for both day (around the guys) as well as for night (around the ladies) - oversimplification, but I hope that we all get the point. Thus, the best way to get a women's perspective of how certain frags smell, I would believe that the reviews on discussion websites dominated by females would not only be suffice, but more appropriate as well.

I personally have (almost) given up on BN'ers claims of "I got a compliment . . ." as my primary source for the opinion of the opposite sex.

Finally, you sometimes just have to go w/ what you want to wear (as I usually do). As long as you like it . . . .

Found another possible GIT ripoff - Quimbaya Homme by Jean Pascal

Post Thanks / Like

He was asking for a frag suitable for both day (around the guys) as well as for night (around the ladies) - oversimplification, but I hope that we all get the point. Thus, the best way to get a women's perspective of how certain frags smell, I would believe that the reviews on discussion websites dominated by females would not only be suffice, but more appropriate as well.

Those blog sites that you mention, while good, usually just contain one review of a fragrances (the blog owners' point of view) - Basenotes provides a wider perspective on fragrance reviews, with many users contributing their opinions and experiences. A similar site would be Make Up Alley (MUA).

And no, I dont think Quimbaya homme is a GIT rip off.
    -

Quimbaya smells in no way, shape, form, thought, or spirit like GIT.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Those blog sites that you mention, while good, usually just contain one review of a fragrances (the blog owners' point of view) - Basenotes provides a wider perspective on fragrance reviews, with many users contributing their opinions and experiences. A similar site would be Make Up Alley (MUA). . . .
    Yes, MUA is another one that I follow (I just didn't have the time to mention all of them). While you're correct that the (initial) post are the reviews of the primary bloggers, I'm more interested in the followup comments, of all the other people who've also tried/experienced such fragrances.

Zeram1 you are way off on this one , my friend .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Just tryin' to "stir up the pot"

I know, I know, for I have a falcon of GIT

Post Thanks / Like

You must give Azzaro pour homme a try!
    Another suggestions:
    - Alfred Sung pour homme
    - Michael Kors

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Hello!...I'm new here and looking for a recommendation

I would highly Divine's L'Homme Sage. It somehow came to mind immediately after reading your post.

For more information of the mentioned - and other - fragrances, check out the directory section of Basenotes (as you have probably already done).

The reviews at Make-up alley are certainly insightful as to a woman's perspective of men's fragrances and worthy of consideration. A little tough to tell what they are comparing their opinions too, but still insightful.

I somewhat agree with zeram1's comment regarding the reviews here. While likely the most complete directory on the web, the reviews seem to be a bit auto-generated. A wild guess would be 90% of the frags get thumbs up. I admit I've only read reviews on 40 -50 products, but I would think there would be a little more criticism in the reviews, but again, I've only read reviews on 40-50 products.

He was asking for a frag suitable for both day (around the guys) as well as for night (around the ladies) - oversimplification
    In all likelihood, I'll not wear the same sig frag for day and eveningwear, perhaps not on a regular basis either.
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 26th September 2006 at 02:29 PM.