Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up IN AWE: Tauer's Lonestar Memories

I'm rather surprised that Andy Tauer isn't gathering more of a following around here. After reading some glowing reviews on other sites, I decided to get some samples of Lonestar Memories and L'Air du Desert Marocain.

I have Lonestar Memories on right now and I can't believe how much imagry this scent is capable producing. To me, it smells like an old hut in the middle of nowhere. Allow me to explain: I recently lived in New Zealand, and being the fan of the outdoors that I am, I went on some backpacking trips. Some of the huts here basically avalanche shelters. Some were so big they could almost have been hotels. And some were literally abandoned trappers' huts. In them were rusted old wood stoves, dented up ash buckets, some half burned wood, maybe a few wool blankets, lots of dirt, and the smell of decades of use by weary, dusty travellers. After tramping through mountains, sleet, rain, mud, rivers, grasslands and snow (usually all in the same day), the sight, smell, and feel of those huts caused a combination of emotions that I still can't totally identify. For dinner, we usually made some variation of vegetable soup and baked beans. Soon, that aroma mingled with the background smell of the hut, and THAT is what Lonestar Memories smells like. If our backpacks had been made of leather, it would impossible to tell the two smells apart.

I've always appreciated the added quality of niche scents, but this is the first that has truly shocked me. I didn't know scents were capable of this kind of depth. Andy Tauer puts some real soul and emotion into his creations.

If you like leathery, natural, rustic, and "unplugged" scents, Lonestar is going to absolutely blow you mind. Even if you aren't a fan of richer leathers, you will appreciate the sheer artistry of this one. Incense and leather sound like an overpowering combo, and usually they are, but Lonestar's leather is comforing and old, and the incense is gently smouldering birchtar laying in a bed of myrrh and tonka. The effect is warm and soothing yet assertive and very manly.

Top:
    Geranium, Carrot seed, clary sage

Middle:
    Birchtar, cistus, jasmine, cedarwood

Base:
    Myrrh, tonka, vetiver, sandalwood

I'm looking forward to trying L'Air du Desert Marocain tomorrow. Anybody else have experience with Tauer's fragrances? Have any other scents, Tauer or not, given you this strong of a reaction?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 25th September 2006 at 10:34 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: IN AWE: Tauer's Lonestar Memories

I feel like Tauer actually does have a good following on this site.
    Anyways, about his scents, LM didn't do it for me atll but then again I don't like leather scents. However, I LOVE L'Air. It is one of the best scents I've ever smelled. Sexy as hell, beautiful resinous woods. I feel like L'Air, Heritage, and M7 all share something in the feel of their woods but I like L'Air by far the best of the 3. You're in for a treat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I feel like Tauer actually does have a good following on this site.
    Well, i'm sure many people think they're good and all, but I just see relatively little discussion of them. But I could just be missing it I guess.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Lonestar Memories and Maroccaine are both fantastic and it's great news that he is going to go ahead and produce Orris- and I can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry LJ but LM almost made me gag I spread some on the back of my hand after receiving a sample....... .....no mas!

On the other hand, L'Air moves me like few other scents. It's warm, spicy, and 'sexy' with great longevity!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Yeah, Tauer's LONESTAR MEMORIES was my instant and sole response to the recent thread, "What scent makes you feel sexy?"

Had to get up and spritz some of his L'AIR DU DESERT on my forearm to go on with this post -- it's really different from the birchtar / myrrh thing in LONESTAR, but also deep and evocative.

Tauer's work is original, not just another dupe of an already crowded shelf of cloned, smell-alike frags. Very reasonably priced samples of his three scents so far are available from his web-site. Tauer also writes a blog about his work in scent (and related matters) that's a pleasure to read.

I've actually only tried Orris, which might seem unfair to followers of his fragrances (and hasn't been given the chance to try it), so I can't really compare it to any of his other fragrances. But it is great and I'm getting a bottle whenever it is ready. It is a meat packed iris fragrance. I'm not sure if people are familiar with the german tar/smoke fragrance Kölnisch Juchten, but they share some similarities. It is heady and in your face and absolutely fascinating.

I could very well see myself buying all his releases blind really. I shouldn't and probably will not, but I'm fairly certain I'm gonna find at least two I love out of the three released.

Oh almost forgot: Vétiver Extraordinaire evokes very strong memories and imagery in my head.
    Last edited by shifts; 26th September 2006 at 06:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lonestar Memories is my scent of the day. What an incredible fragrance. To me it's not that strange. I get sage and myrrh and birch tar. There is also a very calming clean laundry thing going on which I am guessing is the jasmine. It's beautiful.

Kelley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Sorry LJ but LM almost made me gag I spread some on the back of my hand after receiving a sample....... .....no mas!
    Dan
    Yeah it's a little strange at first (maybe the carrot seed?), but if you stick with it past the top and early heart, it calms down to a very natural smoky sweet leather that I can't imagine would be offensive. I implore you to give it another go!

Post Thanks / Like

I love all of Andy's fragrances. I am the person who came up with the name Lonestar Memories for his fragrance.

It's true. He did. Clever ole Barry. How you doing, buddy boy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    I love all of Andy's fragrances. I am the person who came up with the name Lonestar Memories for his fragrance.
    REALLY!? Do you do know him? If so, tell him he's a genius. Do you know any other perfumers?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is Andy's blog. He is a very nice person and as you said, a genius!

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/blog/

I call lonestar memories "lonesome cowboys": leather turning to rubber. It's ok. . . I'm not wild about leather fragrances, thought maybe this one could do it for me, but I'm not. . . obsessed with getting it or anything.

morrocain is nice. . . tasty scent. but in a way maybe it's not weird enough for me. is it really that unique? I guess I would say that maybe it's too cloying, but I'm willing to give it more chances! but it seems a little too complicated for me.

carrot seed: a nod to the Malle/Bourdon collaboration, Mark Birley? could be!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    REALLY!? Do you do know him? If so, tell him he's a genius. Do you know any other perfumers?
    Andy is a very good friend. If you visit his blog, you can email him, he speaks and writes perfect English. I am sure that he would be pleased to hear from you. Linda Pilkington from Ormonde Jayne is also a friend of mine. Others who I am quite friendly with are Pierre Guillaume and also the boys from Le Labo.

Post Thanks / Like

Right at the moment I have Lonestar Memories on my left hand and Black Aoud on my right. I'm looking foreward for my Oud Cuir d'Arabie decant to arrive. Ha!

But something I forgot it seems! Sometimes it's hard to get the connection! Lonestar Memories ..... Oud Cuir d'Arabie ..... Black Aoud ..... .....

Gaultier˛!

No!

Hermes - Un jardin sur le Nil!

No!

Yes, it's Santa Maria Novella's Acqua di Cuba!! Some call it a stinker, but wait, the drydown is exquisite in tabacco, leather and masculinity! :brolly: