Code of Conduct

Default What is the definition of a "gourmand" fragrance?

I think I have a pretty good idea from the characteristics of the different scents that fall into this category.

But, and I searched and couldn't find an answer, what exactly constitutes a gourmand cologne?

Default Re: What is the definition of a "gourmand" fragrance?

Welcome to Basenotes! A gourmand fragrance is one that contains significant amounts of food-based notes such as vanilla, chocolate, coffee, berries, cinnamon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    Welcome to Basenotes! A gourmand fragrance is one that contains significant amounts of food-based notes such as vanilla, chocolate, coffee, berries, cinnamon, etc.
    Ah ok, that was what I was thinking, I always see it referring to ones that have a lot of almost "edible" notes. I appreciate it thanks.

my fave gourmand frag is thierry muglers angel innocent w/honey.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Mugler's A* Men

Bond Street New Harleem

Serge Lutens' Borneo would be fine examples of goumand scents.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I don't think this is a "gourmand" scent really, but I get a lemony, custardy smell out of Boucheron Trouble. Can a frag be partly gourmand?

Are there gourmands that aren't predominately sweet or dessert-like?

I smelled A*Men in the store the other day and was blown away. I wanted to eat it. As a cologne, it's not for me, but I could definitely see the appeal. It made me wonder though - are there colognes that smell more like savory food? Or would these be in a different category or tend to go with less gourmand-y notes, possibly wood or leather or __?

Apologies if it's bad etiquette to raise this thread from the dead <enter Quiet Riot's "Bang Your Head" here>. I guess I too am trying to figure out what can count as a gourmand. Thanks!
    Last edited by blipd; 15th March 2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by blipd View Post
    Are there gourmands that aren't predominately sweet or dessert-like?

I smelled A*Men in the store the other day and was blown away. I wanted to eat it. As a cologne, it's not for me, but I could definitely see the appeal. It made me wonder though - are there colognes that smell more like savory food? Or would these be in a different category or tend to go with less gourmand-y notes, possibly wood or leather or __?

Apologies if it's bad etiquette to raise this thread from the dead <enter Quiet Riot's "Bang Your Head" here>. I guess I too am trying to figure out what can count as a gourmand. Thanks!
    I never cared for A*Man much, but I LOVED Pure Malt. Got it as a blind buy, based on everyone raving about it online, and was not sorry about it. Not a good one for the Spring/Summer months, but hands down my favorite gourmand.

For me, if there is anything that comes across as edible or something I'd like to drink, it's a gourmand. Many frags have vanilla, for example, but very few of those I ever think would be good food or drink.

Bump for the good

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    A gourmand fragrance is one that contains significant amounts of food-based notes such as vanilla, chocolate, coffee, berries, cinnamon, etc.
    So many scents I enjoy would fall under this definition.
    (1776)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Stuigi said it best