Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Infusion by Bombay Sapphire

Bombay Sapphire is one of the biggest makers of the alcoholic drink Gin in the world. Gin in many ways is a very close relative of cologne. In fact one can very legitimately think of it as a drinkable cologne.

The way Gin is made is you start with a pure neutral alcohol and then you infuse botanicals for scent and flavor. Water is added to reduce the alcohol content to a drinkable level. Really not that much different then a cologne.

I got a bottle of Infusion, which is the cologne version of the Bombay Sapphire Gin, today and gave it a try. The botanicals used in both the Gin and the cologne are Almonds, Lemon, Liquorices Root, Juniper Berries, Orris Root, Angelica, Coriander, Cassia Bark, Cubeb Berries and Grains of Paradise. If you want to know how it smells, just sniff some Bombay Sapphire's Gin. It does not evolve as a scent, you get the same scent from start to finish, it just fades. The scent is fresh, crisp, upbeat and best of all unique. As with cologne, after a moment you don't smell the alcohol, only the botanicals. I’m very impressed the fragrance, I find it a step above most of the fresh, crisp scents out there. Unfortunately it is not that easy to find.

Default Re: Infusion by Bombay Sapphire

...eenteresting, vedy, vedy eenteresting.

This is the first I've heard of such similarities. I like the idea of it all and find it plausible. I'd like to give Bombay a try sometime. Where'd you get it out of curiosity?

Really cool post Oolong. I wasn't aware that gin and cologne were so similar. Unfortunately I don't really like gin, but I think I'ma try aquire the taste because the way it's made is pretty cool.

I found a bottle on Ebay. They only show up occationally so I would recommend a saved search. I had a saved search for "Infusion Bombay" and a bottle eventually showed up. Because it is not well known I got it for minimum bid.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    ...eenteresting, vedy, vedy eenteresting.

This is the first I've heard of such similarities. I like the idea of it all and find it plausible. I'd like to give Bombay a try sometime. Where'd you get it out of curiosity?

It´s a good fragrance. I believe it was only made for airport retail. Very refreshing and icingly masculine. Would love to find a bottle.

MMM

Check out the past threads about O'Boticario's Malbec, an excellent wine-based frag.

Guerlain Coriolan has a lot of juniper and always reminds me of gin.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

As I was laying in bed last night this thread had me thinking of one of my other passions, movies. I remember in several older movies from the 30's and 40's seeing men and women use Gin as an inexpensive cologne. Can't think of any specific movies to toss out as an example but it was done often enough that if you watch for it, eventually you will see it. The fact that I've sceen it in several movies suggest to me anyway that it was relatively common practice to use gin as a low cost cologne.

On a different subject, this is Bombay Sapphire's web site:

http://www.bombaysapphire.com/

They have a really nice discussion on how Gin is made.

Bill

I got some Sapphire infusion votive candles on ebay for $2 after reading this. they look really cool!

also got a $1.63 Coty Musk for men to go with my musc ravageur and kublai kahn lol $13 bucks all together with shipping.

I think gin smells great.

also, I invented once a drink: gin and grapefruit juice

I never did christen it. any ideas ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky

How about "Cologne in a Glass" for a name for your new drink?

I also got the Infusion candles. Have not burned them yet but they smell like the Gin and the glass that they come in will be great shot glasses.

If you like Gin you should LOVE the Infusion cologne. They really did a great job with it.

I also saw a short film recently in which a mentally unbalanced woman drinks her cologne.

"basenote martini"?

Im curious about the guerlain too

I got some Sapphire infusion votive candles on ebay for $2 after reading this. they look really cool!

also got a $1.63 Coty Musk for men to go with my musc ravageur and kublai kahn lol $13 bucks all together with shipping.

I think gin smells great.

You should ask Snoop.

Btw, I'm definately gonna try using gin as cologne. If it doesn't smell good I'll just drink my dissapointment away.

I am sampling anvers right now and in a way it makes me think of what a in based scent might be like, only anvers, well so far, it's too harsh, I'm not liking it much. . . but it's only been on 30 minutes or so. . . they say it is "second hand smoke". . . I'm sure I'd prefer gin straight!

Blog Entries

Hmmm...that sounds good. I used to drink gin & Fresca (grapefruit soda) in college.

One time my friend & I were @ a bar & we were drinking greyhounds (vodka & grapefruit juice). My friend got a bit tipsy, & went back to the bar to get another, but she blanked on the name of what we were drinking! She ended up calling it a "Chipmunk" lol. No clue where she got that one. So, maybe your gin & grapefruit juice could be a Chipmunk
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Hugh Parsons Blue always reminds me of gin and tonic. It has juniper berries and coriander in it, I believe. Of course, every brand of gin is slightly different in its choice of botanicals, and not being myself a connoisseur of gins, I haven't tasted Blue Sapphire. Still it's an odd coincidence that the Hugh Parsons is named Blue. I wonder if they didn't try to capture that particular formula before Infusion was thought of?

Does anybody know for sure? Does anybody else who knows both the Hugh Parsons and the Bombay Blue Sapphire care to hazard a guess?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

i would like to test this scent

i found at eBay 1.02 oz Bottles

anyone knows where can i get a Bigger Bottle?

and if anyone had tried this
    how aBout sillage/longevity?

Wow, old thread!

Anyway, it reminded me of a Gin I recently purchased called Roadhouse Gin, it is made in Longmont, CO, just a few miles from where I live. When I popped it open, I thought it reminded me of perfume. It has traditional botanicals plus green tea, lavender, hibiscus and chamomile blossoms. Highly recommended if you like gin.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post
    i would like to test this scent

i found at eBay 1.02 oz Bottles

anyone knows where can i get a Bigger Bottle?

and if anyone had tried this
    how aBout sillage/longevity?
    I have never run across a bigger bottle myself, although I suspect some were made. As for sillage it is low to average on me. Certainly not a sillage monster. longevity is about 5-6 hours and yes, it is almost completly linear. What you get in the beginning is pretty much what you sniff as it fades later.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I bought this for my brother-in-law for Christmas. He's not massively into fragrances, though I think he appreciates them in a normal (as opposed to BNer) kind of way, but he does like his gin, and Bombay Sapphire in particular. He didn't give me very detailed comments beyond saying it made him feel "like an old soak" (he meant this in a positive way), and I think overall he liked the present.