Code of Conduct

Default Montale Oud's REAL or SYNTHETICS ?

Earlier this month there was a thread started by Narcus about this line and a good discussion was started whether Montale uses the real Oudh or synthetics.

Here is the link to the thread started by Narcus:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...86536&page=all

A lot of members gave their opinion and Rockford also posted some links to perfume bloggers sites where the reviewers opinion pointed that they possibly used synthetics. I personally did not think that they used synthetics. Since I was not a 100 % sure I promised everyone that I will find out for sure.

I have been hounding the USA distributor for Montale since then. He promised me that he would find out directly from them and get back with me.

He just called me, and said he spoke to them in Paris about this discussion.

Their answer:

Our Oud line uses real oud, no synthetics.
    Last edited by maisonstinky; 26th September 2006 at 10:25 PM.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Default Re: Montale Oud's REAL or SYNTHETICS ?

Do you know whether the oudh in M7 is natural as well ? Smells darn good to me.

As for the Montale aoudh line, at $210 for a 3.4 Oz bottle, it better be the real thing
    -

Oh and Vijay, I am slowly making my way through the Montale samples you sent me - so far, I have tested Oud Lime and full Jasmin.

Didnt like the Oud lime a whole lot - but Full Jasmin was great.

Why isnt Full Jasmin listed in the Basenotes directory ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Do you know whether the oudh in M7 is natural as well ? Smells darn good to me.

As for the Montale aoudh line, at $210 for a 3.4 Oz bottle, it better be the real thing

Z I don't know about M7 , but yeah you are right about the price for Montale Oud, it better be real for that price .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Didnt like the Oud lime a whole lot - but Full Jasmin was great.

Why isnt Full Jasmin listed in the Basenotes directory ?

Oh Oh Paintrman will not like you for that Oud Lime comment you made .
    Just kidding, every body has a different taste and viewpoint, that is what makes this board fun, does'nt it .

I don't know why Jasmin Full is not in the directory .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Didnt like the Oud lime a whole lot -
    What`s wrong with it? To me it is one of the most finest "fresh" type of blends I have discovered in a loong time!! Yep, I looove Oud Lime a lot!

I am with you PigeonMurderer...Oud Lime is wonderful. I am saving my pennies Vijay for a whole bottle of that one...or maybe the Royal Aoud.

Kelley

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    What`s wrong with it? To me it is one of the most finest "fresh" type of blends I have discovered in a loong time!! Yep, I looove Oud Lime a lot!
    The lime is a bit sharp, and in my opinion, contrasts sharply with the smooth agarwood (which, with time, grows stronger and more prominent). For some reason, the way Montale has conjured this, these two dominant notes never flow along smoothly. After 1-2 hours, the lime note has nearly all but disappeared, and what you are left with is an excellent but boring base of aoud and sandalwood.

The longevity is excellent, but Aoud Lime doesnt do much for me except for providing a slight variation on the agarwood note
    -

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    ...Our Oud line uses real oud, no synthetics.
    Best news since returning from a one week trip to Germany and France! Thank you for finding out, Vijay!

Meanwhile I have received personal opinions from two independent persons which I consider experts of Arabian fragrances. There are other reasons to assume genuity: (1) Royal Oudh, I think, has been on hold for unavailability of the particular oudh oil used. 'Unavailability' can also mean that the price for subject oil has risen astronomically because of shortage. Maybe PM is waiting until the price is right. (2) If you read details of the various perfumes, you will notice that oudh origins are sometimes specified, other times not. It seems PM uses various kinds of oudh in different Asian regions. It does not make sense to go through such (fake) procedures, if his main raw material comes from Givaudan or Firmenich. Western customers know little, if anything, about oudh. So why create a story? It should also not be forgotten that PM has worked with the real stuff in the Emirates. The whole line may have been tested and proven high quality during his prior activities in one of the Emirates.

Rose fields in Anatolia, Bulgaria, Persia, Africa, and wherever else - are they all just there for a 'perfume image' and foreign tourists? Good rose oil is not a cheap component. But are L'Artisan, Malle, Lutens, C&S, and Patou liars when it comes to rose perfumes? I do think that a certain amount of scepticism is justified and the proper attitude when it comes to perfume manufacturers and traders. But I also believe it is still possible to buy perfumes with costly natural ingredients. I do not see how it could possibly make sense for any newcomer on the world perfume market to start a whole line of rather unique and expensive rose fragrances (seven at one strike !), straight from chem labs! Montale has to yet conquer a market for the thirty plus perfumes he offers. The marketing, so far, seems to be rather selective also in France. No surprise, they are hardly known by French consumers and even the staff in most perfume shops give you a blank face when you ask for a Montale frag!

A question for the experts: am I all too naive assuming that a soliflower perfume like Jasmin Full must be based on jasmin blossoms? Tauer is a professional chemist claiming natural ingredients. Are his Moroccan winds and roses just a romantic fantasy, or would you believe flowers may indeed have been plugged for them in some oasis? In terms of dollars, Tauer scents are almost cheap!
    Last edited by narcus; 30th September 2006 at 08:59 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Best news since returning from a one week trip to Germany and France! Thank you for finding out, Vijay!

(2) If you read details of the various perfumes, you will notice that oudh origins are sometimes specified, other times not. It seems PM uses various kinds of oudh in different Asian regions. It does not make sense to go through such (fake) procedures, if his main raw material comes from Givaudan or Firmenich. Western customers know little, if anything, about oudh. So why create a story? It should also not be forgotten that PM has worked with the real stuff in the Emirates. The whole line may have been tested and proven high quality during his prior activities in one of the Emirates.
    You are welcome Narcus, I promised everybody I would, and I did. Regarding your second point , I pointed that out in your original thread, but some members were sceptical about it, then.

By the way Aubrgene was in Paris, and he PM'ed me from there. He went to the Montale showroom and met Pierre Montale there. He said he will write more when he gets back from vacation . I did ask him to call them, if he was still there to reconfirm what I found, maybe some people won't believe me because of my profession, but they will certainly believe him, I hope.

On a side note our own Paintrman (Kelley) just did a review of Oud Cuir d'Arabie at perfumesmellinthings. Here is the link:

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by maisonstinky; 29th September 2006 at 11:22 PM.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Its entirely possible that Montale uses a mix of natural and synthetic ouds.
    -

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Its entirely possible that Montale uses a mix of natural and synthetic ouds.
    The distributor did tell me that no synthetics are used, I don't see any reason for him to lie to me, and I don't see any reason for the Montale people to lie to him. I do wish Aubrgene had time to reconfirm this from them.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Vijay,

Thank you for the clarification that Montale is in fact using real Aquilaria spp. in their fragrances. I hope they are sourcing from the TRP plantation project in Viet Nam...so far the only project I've heard of that is producing oud in a sustainable framework, thus protecting this critically endangered and overexploited species from total disappearance in its natural habitats.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

The distributor did tell me that no synthetics are used, I don't see any reason for him to lie to me, and I don't see any reason for the Montale people to lie to him. I do wish Aubrgene had time to reconfirm this from them.
    I just got back from Paris last night and here's the deal. Montale uses pure, natural Oud on his Oud line. I had the wonderful oppportunity to meet him on my visit to his boutique at the Place Vendome 3 days ago. Monsieur Montale is a very nice gentleman and he had me sample the pure Cambodian Aoud that came in small vials. I'd like to add that at the Paris boutique, they can apply more Oud ( fifty percent more ) upon request from their entire Aoud line. I did mention Basenotes to him and he is very aware and knows the site. I told Montale about Vijay as well and I'm sure he'll will be delighted to meet him!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    I just got back from Paris last night and here's the deal. Montale uses pure, natural Oud on his Oud line. I had the wonderful oppportunity to meet him on my visit to his boutique at the Place Vendome 3 days ago. Monsieur Montale is a very nice gentleman and he had me sample the pure Cambodian Aoud that came in small vials. I'd like to add that at the Paris boutique, they can apply more Oud ( fifty percent more ) upon request from their entire Aoud line. I did mention Basenotes to him and he is very aware and knows the site. I told Montale about Vijay as well and I'm sure he'll will be delighted to meet him!
    Thank you for communicating this quickly. I am very pleased with your report. Would you know, if PM has more information in writing for people interested? I had a few questions concerning his oudhs but am not sure whether or not my mails have been received. It seems as if they had not looked at their public mail box for months - or just a case of unresponded love .

Originally posted by Jaelyn: I hope they are sourcing from the TRP plantation project in Viet Nam...so far the only project I've heard of that is producing oud in a sustainable framework, thus protecting this critically endangered and overexploited species from total disappearance in its natural habitats.
    It says they use wood/oils from various sources, for example: Kambodian for Black Aoud, and Aoud D'Arabie for Damaskus.
    Last edited by narcus; 30th September 2006 at 11:55 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Thank you so much for reconfirming this, yes he did find out about Basenotes, because of the link I sent the Montale USA distributor to forward to him. I sent them the link to the thread NArcus started, so they knew that we were discussing if the Ouds used by them were real or synthetics. And thanks for mentioning me to him. I would be glad to meet him in person, he makes some damn good scents .

Jaelynn you are very welcome .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

The distributor did tell me that no synthetics are used, I don't see any reason for him to lie to me, and I don't see any reason for the Montale people to lie to him.
    I would be more inclined to believe the "Montale people" if they would not try to hoodwink and deceive their prospective customers with their absurd and spurious claims that Montale oud is a ”mystic aphrodisiac”, and that Montale oud is ”preserved in a cave for several years by a secret process”: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...617#post901617

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    I would be more inclined to believe the "Montale people" if they would not try to hoodwink and deceive their prospective customers with their absurd and spurious claims that Montale oud is a ”mystic aphrodisiac”, and that Montale oud is ”preserved in a cave for several years by a secret process”: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...617#post901617
    Your point is well taken.

I promised everybody I WILL find out whether the real oud or synthetics are used in their products, and that is exactly what I did.

I am not asking anybody to believe me, I think everybody can use their own judgement on this .
    Last edited by maisonstinky; 1st October 2006 at 03:40 AM.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"