Code of Conduct

Talking Where have all the 'knock em dead' frags gone?

Does anybody else crave a new 'in your face', totally 80's frag that is right at home with 2 inch fringes, thick eyebrows and pink lipstick?
    I'm talking the ones that came out - I guess 80's and 90's and everyone knew what you were wearing. Some examples:
    Red Door Elizabeth Arden Samsara Guerlain Amarige Givenchy Opium YSL You seriously know when someone wears the above. Have any come out lately that can also take centre stage? I know the new sweet, fruity ones are all the rage, along with the subtle aquatics, but heavens to betsy - give me nose canal openers anyday!!

Default Re: Where have all the 'knock em dead' frags gone?

I personally love big, strong scents! I had quite a collection of nice, light niche scents that did absolutely nothing for me and now I'm in the process of replacing them with good old-fashioned nose slapping sillage makers.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    nose slapping sillage makers.
    Heavens to betsy indeed!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Insolence is one of those IMHO. Unfortunately, it is terrible for me. Definitley in your face (or is it just MY face?).

But thinking of new ones along these lines - and I can come up with nothing. Many of the Montale and Serge Lutens scents are quite strong and can be in your face though. They do have a lot of silage.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Lutens' Mandarine Mandarin is quite big. Not violently so, but big. Reminds me a bit of the original Joop! fragrance.

They all relocated right here, into my perfume drawer. Still wear them, still love them. Today is not a very happy day: squeezed out three last drops of Paloma Picasso EdP, will look for replacement.

Seriously, Agent Provocateur is about the only one coming to mind. Have not tried Betsey as of yet.

Blog Entries

Sadly the oldies are the best and luckily are still widely available!!

however if you definitely do want to find some modern descendents of y our beloved 80's powerhouses, may I humbly recommend:

Serge Lutens Un Cedre
    Serge Lutens Arabie
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Bvlgari Black
    Agent Provocateur (Classic)
    Vivienne Westwood Boudoir
    Alexander McQueen Kingdom
    Dinner by Bobo
    Boucheron Initial
    Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon
    Boucheron Trouble
    (anything) Bijan
    Guerlain Shalimar Light
    Moschino Classic (1987 but very modern and little known)

There are quite a few more, I'm sure. I do hope this list helps.

Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I would no more wear spike heels to the beach than I would wear Opium, which I had when it first came out and lived in the city, but I do crave the older style scents too and think we are defining a reversal in trends, here. Right now, I'm into Apres L'Ondee and just ordered a sample of Nocturnes by Caron. As far as newer scents go, I Coloniali's Javanese Cananga is great, I'd like to try their Lotus fragrance and am also interested in Bath and Body Works new Sensual Amber.
    Last edited by beachroses; 27th September 2006 at 12:22 PM.

Funny you should mention Red Door - sat (as far away as possible) from a lady wearing it last night. I guess the aldehyde(s?) had their say and it knocked me right off my feet in a not good way. I'd been happily enveloped in a sample of Garcon Manque sent me by Wolf Lady in TX and was truly offended!

But back to your question - I was going to put for the Revlon's Ciara and Cabochard's Casmir or (was it Dior or YSL?) Poison or almost anything Lauder (was with the ad agency that did her stuff for a while and she was famous for the saying "If you can't smell it - you can't sell it") 'til I noticed the word "recent" in your post, so am backing off.:

Am a newie here and basking in admiration of all these knowledgable persons - sniff on!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm all good with current rage of delicate, fresh, fruity, floral, aquatic for summer. For cold weather, I still don't care for amber/spice heavy orientals.

I love my Fumerie Turque, though!!! It's hard to miss, but not that many people have smelled it so can't recognize it. It may become somewhat better known when it comes to the export line--has that happened yet?

KM Loukhoum is distinctive and has good long-lasting sillage.

Chinatown is distinctive(up to the point that cedriceccentric says it smells just like Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant, I suppose) and also is a sillage queen.

These are all vanilla tinged to greater or lesser degree, so that's the other raging trend I'm good with wearing. I guess my answer is no, I don't miss or want a 80's powerhouse again, cuz I didn't like them in the first place.

They are still available!
    if you mean where are the "new" 'knock em dead' frags', there are plenty but not as many as there were in the 80's of course:
    apart from what moondeva said:dali's ruby lips,the reworked version of bahari, or just overspray a bit with kenzo amour ,elixir de merveilles, avon's extraordinary, allure sensuelle, par amour, baby doll candy pink, baby phat goddess (this one is as strong as is nasty!).

I love the knock-em-deads, too. My skin takes those strong scents really well; Paloma Picasso smells yummy on me. I just tried Ambre Sultan and it was perfect. Oh, yeah, bring 'em on. New 80s scents. I'll even haul out my New Wave music on vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh
    Red Door Elizabeth Arden Samsara Guerlain Amarige Givenchy Opium YSL You seriously know when someone wears the above.
    Thank HEAVEN that kind of scent has become less popular. These are why I didn't like perfume when I was a child. Strong shouty scents make me ill and headachy, and it seems so rude to wear them. I mean I love perfume, but I don't expect everyone else to have to breathe me in. What if they have allergies? It's just like being forced to walk through the cloud of smokers that congregate outside my office.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    elixir de merveilles, avon's extraordinary
    Oh, funny you should say that. Because I really like EDM, it would only overpower if, as you say, it was used too much. And looking at the notes for it, Extraordinary is the scent I'm going to try next- it sounds really interesting. How would I know aldehydes- they get mentioned a lot in "headachy" smells.

I think Lolita Lempicka qualifies as a nose slapper. That green/licorice/grape/vanilla combination is big and sweet enough to give you a cavity.

What about Versace BLONDE? That's a big,strong tuberose.

Hi everyone -

I am new to posting but not new to lurking.

I have my 3rd bottle of (the original) Samsara stashed away in a safe, special place while Addict helps me (somewhat) smell a little more contemporary (I am only 35yrs old!). Anyway, in my attempt to shift away from the 80's and 90's fragrances, I have lost my fondness for Dune and Dolce & Gabanna. Samsara I still love, but I know it can only be worn at special times in this new fruity era.

I will post on the swap sheet if someone is interested in the Dune and D&G. They are mostly unused, and they are big bottles. I would be happy to swap with someone who could help me bridge even further into this "new era" of fragrances, while allowing me to keep my fondness for gouramond and sandalwood/tonka. I don't care for flowers or citrus scents much, but I am interested in those ivy/fig scents I have read about on this community board. But my dislike for flowery-fruity sccents has made me avoid even ivy and grassy scents, so I could use a little prodding in that direction.

If no one is interested, please don't be irritated that I saw the post topic as an opportunity - I just thought that it made sense.

Enjoy your fragrances!

You should definitely try Premier Figuier, then.

Tubereurse Criminelle by Serge Lutens is at the top of my big bold voluptuous, totally-in-your-space list. A deep, daring temptress with way too much sillage :0. For seduction only, as far as I can tell. It's what Jessica Rabbit would have worn.
    Cashmere Mist (is that new enough to qualify, or is it considered older now?). This one is just so pleasingly 80's warmth, bigness, and sillage.
    I second Musc Ravageur by Malle.
    Un Cedre by Serge Lutens, or Idole De Lubin - deep, boozy, sweet and warm.
    Le Baiser Du Dragon is a deep, rich but not sweet or voluptuous oriental.
    Wanderlust by Jeffrey Damme sort of fits this bill. Very Woodhue smelling at first (which is not bad!), it becomes its own thing at the end.
    Madness by Chopard is a hot oriental which I love, but it has more of a contemporary transparent fruit note with the animalics, instead of the classic vanillic base, so I'm not sure it totally qualifies. But it *is* big and great.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses
    am also interested in Bath and Body Works new Sensual Amber.
    Yes, I've had a chance to sample their Sensual Amber lotion and splash (they were OUT of the fragrance; not a bottle in sight!). It is gorgeous, wow! I would get this one!

deafdrummer

I bump up this tread; as some of us have problems with staying power and sillage with many newer scents.
    I have bookmarked it; and use it as guidance when I consider buying a perfume.

These are all serious power scents IMHO

Gucci-Rush
    Thierry Mugler-Angel
    Jean Paul Gaultier-Jean Paul Gaultier Classique and Fragile
    Dolce&Gabbana-By Woman
    Prada-Prada EDP

Scents that have slapped me in the nose recently: Angel, Prada, Euphoria, Flowerbomb, Narciso Rodriguez (for some reason people always over-apply this one), Youth Dew Amber Nude, The Body Shop Patchouli and Amorito.

Newer scents seem to have less longevity than the older ones.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

My favorite Le Baiser Du Dragon smells mild to me, maybe because I'm so used to it. I could sit in a tub of it.
    Prada Intense and Angel are pretty potent in a good way. Malle's Carnal Flower nearly knocked me down. I was expecting a light delicate flower and took a huge whiff. It was nice once I got used to it. The nose slappers are still there, just have to look a little harder. Maybe they are a little more refined. And don't throw out the idea of some men's frags. Some now-a-days are really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    My favorite Le Baiser Du Dragon smells mild to me, maybe because I'm so used to it.
    Interesting, because me, too, find Le Baiser du Dragon a mild fraganse. I have never thoughted of it as a strong perfume. Actually, I would like it a bit louder. Perhaps this has to do with skin-chemistry.

My strongest perfumes, to my nose, on my skin, are Prada, Shalimar, Cristobal, Roma, Rive Gauche, Samsara, Insolence (and I really like it!), Gucci EdP and Coco by Chanel.
    Last edited by Margareta; 26th February 2007 at 05:52 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Default Libertine, and Angel, and Lolita Lempicka, and...

I think I could go on for quite a bit, but I also have to confess I was never a fan of those big sillage fragrances (spent th 80's in Bowling Green and Cabochard).

On me, at any rate, these three fragrances just up and grab me by the tonsils.

Flowerbomb, too... after I sampled it, I felt more conspicuous than I would have had I been stark naked except for red rubber boots

you might want to try going completely exotic with the Amouage fragrances. I haven't smelled any of the womens' but the mens' when worn are definitely present and accounted for!

I find the Amouage range is an aquired taste. I have a box of samples (generous sizes in a nice presentataion box, from the Amouage web site), and one day I accidentally spilled some Eau d'Amouage on my keyboard when trying it out. It hung around on my laptop for days afterwards. It is lethal stuff.

Someone once described me as "about as subtle as being crapped on by a flying elephant."
    Unsurprisingly, I like big scents. I don't favour all...but Poison, Hynotic Poison, Angel, Aromatics Elixir and (my latest passion) Ambre Sultan all ring my bells.
    I do have a few more subtle fragrances but they tend to die on me after an hour or so, unfortunately.

I keep thinking about another Lutens I sampled, Chypre Rouge - it's quite possibly the oddest scent I've ever inhaled, but I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist, and now I keep thinking about it. I may have to go back and get some. It has definite staying power.

Default Re: Libertine, and Angel, and Lolita Lempicka, and...

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousmongoose
    ...stark naked except for red rubber boots
    Now there's an image to behold.
    Should be a perfume ad.

Default those special moments

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    Now there's an image to behold.
    Should be a perfume ad.
    Not that I'd know, or anything, of course...

Someone mentioned male frags... L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme is a loud and unusual scent and will even stay on your skin after a shower. Its on my wishlist, I'm female and it smells great on me but maybe not a must buy for anyone scared of headaches/being masculinely smelly!

you guys have goooottt to try west side by bond people follow me when i wear this fragrance talk about knock em dead!they are swooning around me.

I think perfume has become very trendy in the past few years, so alot of the classic or exotic fragrances of the past decades are still around, but not as popular with some people. I believe like with most industries, there will be a return to the perfumes of the past, with regards to the more sultry notes, instead of the fruity, sugary ones. I think there is something for everyone tastes, thank goodness. Most of the celebrity scents are reflecting what is popular today & the Etro's, L'Artisans, SL, and other designer houses, are reflecting the more exotic, different, scents of the past, with an updated flair.