Code of Conduct

Talking scents with civit

I detect a strong basenote of civet in Tabarome Milliseme. Are there any other scents that have this. I really like the Newer Tabarome. I could bathe in it. It is sweet but quite animalistic IMHO.

Thanks

Rick
    Last edited by DOCPSYCHO; 27th September 2006 at 01:15 AM.

nearfantastica

Default Re: scents with civit

Ungaro II has a strong Civet note... that I find quite sexy, if the fragrance is used lightly..

a.

You mean "civet", an excretion scraped from near a civet cats gonads.

Kouros has it.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp

Kouros has it.
    Thanks for the correct spelling. Yeah I ment " civet". The smell of the south end of a north bound tomcat.

Rick

Many options. These immediately come to mind as ones where I have noted civet aplenty:
    Ungaro II
    Romeo Gigli Per Uomo
    MKK
    H.O.T. Always
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Rose Poivree

eau d'hermes
    La Science des Rêves

I'd bet $100,000 dollars that there is no civet in Tabarome Millesime. There is a lot of patchouli and ginger in it though.

Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Narcisse Noir are a few others to add to the list.

Doc,

I am just glad to see you posting again . Missed ya
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

The civet monster in my collection has got to be Kingdom.

Now........THAT'S animalic!!

Nothing else like it.

jicky parfum de toilette

ok, who does the "scraping"??
    NoNonScents!! Getting Ready to Retire....

Kouros has it.
    I would say that there is Civet in UII and Romeo Gigli but I don't think I detect any in Kouros.

How about Givenchy Gentleman, I haven't sampled this but the Basenotes pyramid lists Civet.

Edit: I see that Gentleman had already been mentioned.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I do not like this note, or castoreum either. They both repulse me. But civet is so foul I cannot comprehend how anyone can like it.

Jicky, when I sampled it at Selfridges here in London, practically knocked me out like the worst fart I've ever known. Yuk!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    I would say that there is Civet in UII and Romeo Gigli but I don't think I detect any in Kouros.
    Its that piss-note many refer to.

Kouros notes: Aldehydes, Artemesia, Bergamot oil, Clary Sage oil, Coriander, Laurel, Carnation, Cinnamon, Geranium, Jasmin, Orris, Patchouli, Vetiver, Amber, Civet, Honey, Leather, Moss, Musk, Tonka, Vanilla.
    -

Its that piss-note many refer to.

Piss, farts, well exactly - what would one expect the arse-scrapings of a wild animal to be like I wonder.

If I see civet in a note pyramid, that's it for me. No ways.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Blog Entries

I am a perfumer... some of you know me already...
    I would be honored to design a civet fragrance for some of you for free... just as an experiment to see what I can come up with. I'm going to make it very animalic with some other notes. Just make sure you really know what civet smells like!

I'll take the first five guys who respond to me with a P.M.

This will be fun... Unfortunately it will in a plain amber bottle if that's ok.

Michael Storer
    Michael Storer, Inc.
    Los Angeles
    maker of Monk, Djin and Il Giardino

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    I do not like this note, or castoreum either. They both repulse me. But civet is so foul I cannot comprehend how anyone can like it.

Jicky, when I sampled it at Selfridges here in London, practically knocked me out like the worst fart I've ever known. Yuk!
    I agree 100%.

I find Civet and Castoreum replusive.

I almost got sick when I sprayed on Mouchoir after receiving a decant - luckily the civet wore off really quickly leaving a pleasant scent, something like Zizanie (which thank goodness does not have civet!). Romeo Gigli was horrible and I had to wash it off. Smelling Givenchy Gentlemen was also repulsive to me.
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 28th September 2006 at 12:58 AM.

I don't know if anyone should automatically ditch a scent without trying just because it has civet in the composition. Gendarme V lists civet as a heart note, after all. And that is just as pleasant as can be and my favorite of the Gendarme line. After Gendarme who would ever have guessed that civet would be introduced to the product line?! :P

I think I read that Dzing! has castoreum, the beaver musk. Now Dzing! does have an animalic 'circus animal' vibe to it. But I don't find it unpleasant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceFan255
    I don't know if anyone should automatically ditch a scent without trying just because it has civet in the composition. Gendarme V lists civet as a heart note, after all. And that is just as pleasant as can be and my favorite of the Gendarme line. After Gendarme who would ever have guessed that civet would be introduced to the product line?! :P

I think I read that Dzing! has castoreum, the beaver musk. Now Dzing! does have an animalic 'circus animal' vibe to it. But I don't find it unpleasant at all.

FF255, to me there is a clear distinction between V and the original Gendarme - that civet/vetiver note in V bothers me. Have you tried Kouros ?

Dzing! doesnt contain any such dirty smelling notes - its more like Bulgari Black, with a core focus on a "Cardboard" smell.
    -

FF255, to me there is a clear distinction between V and the original Gendarme - that civet/vetiver note in V bothers me. Have you tried Kouros ?

Dzing! doesnt contain any such dirty smelling notes - its more like Bulgari Black, with a core focus on a "Cardboard" smell.
    Believe you misunderstood me ZZ. I'd agree there certainly is a distinction between V and Gendarme. I definitely smell the vetiver in V, just nothing that I would call animalic. My statement regarding the original was one of irony. The idea that arguably the most universally easy on the nose scent would have a sequel with civet in the mix. Now I still think that V is entirely pleasant and good natured. Just more interesting than it's progenitor. I do realize you disagree though. :P

And I disagree on Dzing! There is an animalic accord. Another comparison that plays less to Dzing!'s marketing would be 'zoo' smell. It's pretty behaved, but much more animalic than whatever civet is part of Gendarme V.