Code of Conduct

Default Shalimar parfum: too feminine? Not at all!

This weekend past I wore Shalimar in parfum strength at a very dear friends' wedding and received a battery of compliments, most of them from women, but admittedly also one from an avowedly heterosexual man who said 'I'm very worried that I feel like saying this, but you smell fantastic!'

It may be that their hearts were all softened by the occasion - it was a truly splendid, beautiful wedding - or it may just be that, worn with confidence, Shalimar really isn't that feminine at all - simply radiant, bold, inviting, and gorgeous, even - or perhaps especially - in the parfum with its more prominent powdery notes.

And yes, I did get some phone numbers for my trouble

Thrax

Default Re: Shalimar parfum: too feminine? Not at all!

Oh man I love the way this stuff smells to. I'd wear it.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

A lot of the Guerlains and some of the Creeds that are marketed to women could be worn by men without raising too many eyebrows.

Creed Irisia is very green and not particularly masculine, but not so feminine that most people would notice. Legend has it the original was created for Sophia Loren.

Chamade got me positive reactions at church, of all places.

Angélique Noire is also beautifully green; perhaps a bit lush for a man, but not overly so.

Guerlain has also recently re-released Philtre d'Amour, which quickly dries down to a patchouli-accented guerlinade that wouldn't make any man blush.

The old distinctions between masculine and feminine fragrances are dying out. Serge Lutens Miel de Bois is listed in the Basenotes Directory as a shared scent. If a man can wear that (and I have), then a man can wear almost anything.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 27th September 2006 at 07:15 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I bought it - for my ladyfriend - it doesn't smell the least bit masculine to me.
    Renato

I´ve worn L´Heure Bleue before, no problem. With light application it´s just a warm, inviting powdery scent. Shalimar is way too "peachy" for me, but I´m sure it could work on the right guy in the right context.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    I´ve worn L´Heure Bleue before, no problem. With light application it´s just a warm, inviting powdery scent. Shalimar is way too "peachy" for me, but I´m sure it could work on the right guy in the right context.

MMM
    Peachy? Are you sure you don't mean Mitsouko?

Shalimar is wonderful, but it's my mothers favourite so I do feel weird wearing it.

Aaaah, you´re right, sorry!
    Yepp, Shalimar is even more easily worn by guys, I can´t see the problem, unless you OD of course.

M

I own the Eau de Parfum version and I only spray my happy pillow once in a while. LOL!

Teehee! I think I possibly was ODing, but then, I love that stuff.

Just to clarify, I'm not massively into the whole masculine / feminine thing - which is exactly how come I own Shalimar in the first place . (I imagine like most of us I have rather enjoyed sending withering glances at SAs who've shooed me away from a particular scent - 'Sir! These are for women only!' ... oh, please.) But I have seen the debate raised quite a bit on this board about Shalimar and whether it can be worn by men, with some people recoiling in horror at the very idea. So, I just wanted to add my 2c, and not just to say 'I'm a guy and I like it' but also point out that it got me my best ever evening of compliments.

(Of course, even if I hadn't got any compliments I would still wear it cos it makes me feel good - but it would be churlish to deny that compliments make me feel even better )

Anyway. I'm intrigued by wearing Chamade. I shall give that one a go. Has anyone tried wearing Nahema? That seemed to me to be the strangest and most mysterious of fragrances and could quite possibly work. Mitsouko I'm still working on - I have a feeling I'll get there one day.

Angelique Noire is fascinating and one of the very few really good Creeds (IMO!) and a guy could definitely wear this if it suited him.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningOil
    Angelique Noire is fascinating and one of the very few really good Creeds (IMO!) and a guy could definitely wear this if it suited him.
    You mean Angélique Encens by Creed?
    Angélique Noire is by Guerlain as far as I know.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 27th September 2006 at 12:58 PM.

I don't think this is surprising; Habit Rouge is "clearly" (IMNSHO) derived from Shalimar. (And Shalimar is derived from Jicky.)
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    You mean Angélique Encens by Creed?
    Angélique Noire is by Guerlain as far as I know.
    Good catch. I do. I haven't tried Angelique Noire.

On a side note, I've never really got the Jicky+vanilla=Shalimar thing. They are both lush and rich, but smell rather different to me, the lavender and civet of Jicky miles - okay, a few metres - away from the sharp bergamot and opoponax of Shalimar.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I bought it - for my ladyfriend - it doesn't smell the least bit masculine to me.
    Renato
    My favorite lady's signature scent is Shalimar. I agree - it doesn't smell the least bit masculine to me either. And it's easily recognized on the street by many people as one of the classic woman's fragrances of all time.

There is no possible way I would wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    A lot of the Guerlains and some of the Creeds that are marketed to women could be worn by men without raising too many eyebrows.

Creed Irisia is very green and not particularly masculine, but not so feminine that most people would notice. Legend has it the original was created for Sophia Loren.

Chamade got me positive reactions at church, of all places.

Angélique Noire is also beautifully green; perhaps a bit lush for a man, but not overly so.

Guerlain has also recently re-released Philtre d'Amour, which quickly dries down to a patchouli-accented guerlinade that wouldn't make any man blush.

The old distinctions between masculine and feminine fragrances are dying out. Serge Lutens Miel de Bois is listed in the Basenotes Directory as a shared scent. If a man can wear that (and I have), then a man can wear almost anything.

I so agree - but also most of these classics are older style scents - since then
    mens scents have become much closer to womens scents - this could be the reason.

laurent
    Invisible Power

As a guy that enjoys wearing any type of fragrance regardless of whether or not its marketed to women, i'm gong to have to try Shalimer. I've tried it before but i dont remember anything about it. I'm going to the mall tomorrow to get a couple of new pairs of pants to wear so i'll try it then, along with the new Donna Karen scent Gold.
    Awesomeguy

I think Joop! pour Homme smells alittle like Shalimar, but It also reminds me of another women's frag: Emeraude. In fact, I think Emeraude smells more masculine than Joop. I have Joop PH, but I only wear it when it's cold....and apply it under the clothes.....WAY under!

I've never considered wearing Shalimar. I do think it's more refined than the other two frags mentioned above.

I've never owned any Guerlains, but Jicky may end up on my list of future buys.

S

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution
    I've never owned any Guerlains, but Jicky may end up on my list of future buys.
    Neither have I and Jicky well definately be one of them when I get around to it. Resampled Mitsouko today and I really enjoy it. Powdery sandalwood finish that really attracts me, don't get much peach overload (as mentioned earlier in this thread) from it actually. I'm contemplating wether I should go for the $400 suit I found today or pay the $70 for the Mitsouko EdT. I realize how absurd it might seem that if I get one I can't get the other and maybe even more absurd that I can't decide.

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing this today - having become accustomed to the biting bergamot in the top notes of the Eau de Cologne version of Shalimar, I was a bit taken surprise by the animalic, powdery facets of the fragrance in the parfum version (and I am wearing the vintage juice from the 1960's).

Nonetheless, it's just beautiful.

I'm not sure if I would wear it out to a wedding or some formal occasion, not because I'd be ashamed to have someone smell something feminine on me (I could care less what people think about my SOTD) but because to me, it feels so comfy and plush soft it would be the fashion equivalent of wearing pajamas to a wedding.

Love this stuff. I must source more vintage extrait soon - my tiny bottle will be used up soon.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st January 2010 at 06:17 PM.

I have a new-ish bottle of Shalimar extrait and I love it dearly, the civet note is outrageously gorgeous. I had the new version of the cologne, which I found to be extremely medicinal and not very long lasting.

I tested Shalimar in some stores a while back and really wanted to buy it however it just didn't fully do it for me. I'm more inclined to Tobacco Vanille as a Vanilla scent now.

mmm maybe I may go and try it again soon.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Basenotes Institution

It's so great men are using Shalimar parfum too. I personally love it and it is smells wonderful on men . Good for you !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    My favorite lady's signature scent is Shalimar. I agree - it doesn't smell the least bit masculine to me either. And it's easily recognized on the street by many people as one of the classic woman's fragrances of all time.

I have to agree that it is easily identifiable by many as a feminine fragrance. I have not arrived at the point where I am ready to start testing the classic female oriented fragrance, but hopefully I will find my way there if the scent is one that smells good on me. Notwithstanding, if you like it, wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    I agree - it doesn't smell the least bit masculine to me either. And it's easily recognized on the street by many people as one of the classic woman's fragrances of all time.

Totally Agree.

Blog Entries

I have worn Shalimar Leguere for some time, then the edt and soon I will acquire the edp. It just keep getting better.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 1st September 2010 at 04:55 AM.

Shalimar has been a classic for ladies in Europe for almost 100 years now. Many men and women love its smell and most of them connect it with a lady Anonymous or a woman in their family or environment ( age 20 - unlimited). I love it too ! Shalimar may even have a firmer spot in peoples memories than Chanel No. 5, partly due to the vanilla components. I read somewhere that it's still Guerlain's best selling perfume, and the fact that the present market offers it in four variations seems to confirm this.

It's our own smell experiences and associations which ultimately make a perfume neutral, feminine or masculine for us. Would I want to share a perfume with my sister, mother or grandma? - Not even with a partner, I assure you! After all, fragrances have a function in the game of love, too. Lovers are not twins, and differences do matter! Also: think of the confusion that ambiguous messages can cause. Fine, if my Boss likes 'my' Shalimar, but what if his wife adds 'Yes, honey, you used to like it on me too, ten years ago'...

Last edited by narcus; 2nd January 2010 at 09:38 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Shalimar is my top perfume definitely i usually wear this and never anybody told me you smell like a woman
    maybe because in italy nowadays this perfume is completely forgotten by women i wondered why in usa is still so famous ..and very well sold

My mother has Shalimar eau de cologne. Can a man pull it off with the eau de cologne version?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I own a small 8ml of Shalimar extrait, not too sure of its production year but it could be from the late 1970s-early 80s. I save it for special occasions. Smoky, resinuous, powdery, a little animalic, not femininely sweet. IMHO, a guy has a better chance of pulling it off with Shalimar than with No.5. I actually foresee my future spouse raiding my wardrobe for fragrances...LOL.

My newly-arrived 0.5 oz of Shalimar parfum from the late 90s has a 'stuck' stopper. Any ideas how to open it?

I could smell something the moment I undid the wrapping. I put my nose to the stopper & smelt smoke, smoke & smoke.

A bit scared.

it's too feminine for me, but then again arpege pour homme is feminine for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    Any ideas how to open it?
    Good advice can be found here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    I could smell something the moment I undid the wrapping. I put my nose to the stopper & smelt smoke, smoke & smoke.
    Yes! Smokey vanilla! Hope it didn't leak...
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Thanks for the links.

Some of the methods sound a bit delicate to me, and I'm such a klutzy person too!

Actually, I ONLY smell smoke, which is a bit off-putting, and that's why I want to open it to give the scent another chance.

Today, I received an unlabelled EDC bottle that could be Shalimar, but it smells almost totally different : cake-y and nutty vanilla that smells good enough to consume!

I own Shalimar EDT and still can be worn by men!

Just adding my voice to the many who are pro wearing it. Smell it an hour before you apply it and see if it's going to suit YOUR mood. If it does, wear it with pride and enjoy it. Life's too short to classify things regidly. It's all our making. Be fragrant.

i recently sampled the parfum version at a Guerlain counter here in mumbai. The SA sprayed one full bodied spray on my wrist and jeez, i literally gasped for breath for about an hour or so... civet accord is mighty in this one, i couldnt enjoy it. however, i do enjoy it's PdT, EdT, EdP and Cologne versions..
    Last edited by jenson; 1st September 2010 at 10:16 PM.

I've never tried Shalimar in any strength, but I love Jicky....just that I can't find it anywhere.

The only parfum I have is Bandit. It's way more wearable than the edt. It's very clean and nice. Makes the edt seem like a knock off.