Code of Conduct

Default Musty fragrances

After some thinking it suddenly hit me that I love musty fragrances.I love the woody,earthy feel in them.I used to love rather sweet fragrances,but lately I've found out that the fragrances I don't like,is often because they are too sweet....So,any suggestions on musty fragrances?
    Currently wearing: Ta'if by Ormonde Jayne

Default Re: Musty fragrances

Mitsouko has some dry mustiness. I think patchouli can be musty, too. Look at the patchouli thread, lots of suggestions there.

I'll second that. Mitsouko. And Patchouli. Lots of good suggestions in the patchouli thread. Ineespenes, what fragrance made you realize that you like mustiness? Perhaps we can tear it apart and analyze the contents.

I found out I'm drawn towards earthy smells like soil and the smell of leaves in the autumn...So,musty fragrances,I guess. I love Angel...(The patchouli,I think), Agent Provocateur and Narciso Rodriguez. Not sure if hey're concidered "musty",but for me they have a musty quality somehow

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    I'll second that. Mitsouko. And Patchouli. Lots of good suggestions in the patchouli thread. Ineespenes, what fragrance made you realize that you like mustiness? Perhaps we can tear it apart and analyze the contents.
    And I third it! I just tried Mitsouko (after reading about it on here) and I had a very violent reaction against it...it IS musty, but that is why I didn't like it. So, it's definitely musty!

Better days are coming

Blog Entries

I adore musty, too (but not a fan of Mitsouko). A portion of Guerlain's With Love gives me some musty from its basenotes (Pink Pepper, Quince, Mandarin Flower, Wild Rose, Freesia, Wild Lily, Cedar, Sandalwood, Powdery Notes, Blond Amber). I get some mustiness during Jicky's later phases, too.

MUA reviews indicate Etro's Messe de Minuit is musty--credit is given to its incense, which is not my favorite note.

Every time we let our dog out the back door to go potty, I'm left standing next to the open window of a garage containing vintage lumber salvaged from our renovation. The old wood contained in the sand-floor building gives off a wonderful, dusty, resinous funk. The best match I've been able to come up with is Ginestet Le Boise, a cedary scent with white wine overtones/undertones (depending where you're positioned along the drydown).

Demeter put out a scent called Paperback. I'm sure it's musty, but not necessarily attractive.

I'm still in pursuit of the ultimate musty, so if you make some headway in your research, ineespenes, I'd sure like to know.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
    The second best time is now.
    Currently wearing: Sel d'Azur by Yves Rocher

Blog Entries

You must definitely try Etro fragrances! Most of their scents have a most lovely kind of "mustiness", the feel of a museum, library, archives...

http://www.etro.it/
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I only have internet access away from my home, consequently I never have my perfume notes with me, so unfortunately when queries like this come up I can't always remember which perfumes pertain :-(
    That being said, many of the Goth Rosary line are quite musty but kind of cool. I don't remember which of her line were mustiest - it might have been Crypt or Graveyard (one smelled like a cellar, which I couldn't abide), but her sample kit is very reasonably priced ($5), and available online.

http://gothrosary.com/index.cfm

If you're looking for musty, you *will* find musty in this line...
    Currently wearing: Futur by Robert Piguet

Better days are coming

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn
    I only have internet access away from my home, consequently I never have my perfume notes with me, so unfortunately when queries like this come up I can't always remember which perfumes pertain :-(
    That being said, many of the Goth Rosary line are quite musty but kind of cool. I don't remember which of her line were mustiest - it might have been Crypt or Graveyard (one smelled like a cellar, which I couldn't abide), but her sample kit is very reasonably priced ($5), and available online.
    Thanks for the promising-looking lead, flathorn!
    Last edited by Quarry; 1st October 2006 at 02:10 AM.

Le Baiser du Dragon seems musty to me, in the nicest possible way!
    I'm using the hair and body spray at present and loving it.

As a fellow musty lover, I adore Jasmine de Nuit by the different company. And you must try MH's L'air de rien.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart
    Le Baiser du Dragon seems musty to me, in the nicest possible way!
    I'm using the hair and body spray at present and loving it.
    I have to 2nd Le Baiser du Dragon for SURE! I'm wearing it right now, and as I'm reading this I smell this incredible, such beautiful... well I guess it's mustiness LOL

I love it!!!

Mitsouko I just can't do... not sure which one of us like the other less

BUT:

Quote Originally Posted by annickaddict
    As a fellow musty lover, I adore Jasmine de Nuit by the different company.
    Maybe that's why I so adore Jasmine de Nuit, it's my ultimate HAPPY fragrance
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 3rd October 2006 at 07:59 PM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Better days are coming

Blog Entries

Need to add Guerlain's Terracotta Voile d'Ete to the list. I forgot that's what I like about the scent (it surely isn't the carnation or clove top notes--bleh).

For me, I think the word chalky better represents the quality I favor, and that's slightly different from musty or dusty or powdery.

Etro Patchouli is quite musty as is Zoologist`s Sloth.

Basenotes Plus

What does musty smell like? I think of earthy as that petrichor note that is so delightful. Or patchouli. But when I think musty I think of stale, maybe with mold and dust; no air flow. Not really dry or simply dusty. Is that what you're looking for?
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: Lost Cherry by Tom Ford

From a personal viewpoint alone, also adding among the unisex niche choices especially ADP Colonia and even more so its Colonia Assoluta flanker
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

Fun to see this thread being brought back to life. At the time I was a lot less familiar with notes and how to describe a scent. I guess I meant that slightly "cold", dry smell. Like old books and leather, the smell of soil and some types of incence and also patchouli. I found that Messe de minuit fit the description, also Mitsouko (espesially the vintage extrait).Hope others find this thread useful too Oh, and Tigrushka, I should defenitely try more Etro scents. Not sure why I haven't...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Fun to see this thread being brought back to life. At the time I was a lot less familiar with notes and how to describe a scent. I guess I meant that slightly "cold", dry smell. Like old books and leather, the smell of soil and some types of incence and also patchouli. I found that Messe de minuit fit the description, also Mitsouko (espesially the vintage extrait).Hope others find this thread useful too Oh, and Tigrushka, I should defenitely try more Etro scents. Not sure why I haven't...
    Agree. Fun thread.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: Lost Cherry by Tom Ford

In love musty fragrances too! They smell so ancient and dusty. Any of the classic chypres are musty. Aromatics Elixir is a superb example of one. It has a mysterious dry-rustling feeling that is simply stupendous.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

For me, musty has a still/stale, damp or slightly humid quality, so wet autumn leaves and definitely Mitsouko. I quite like that smell too. Some florals have a warm musty character that I refer to as swampy, say Hiram Green's Moon Bloom in a positive sense (lush tropical rainforest), and Mugler's Angel in the negative sense (putrified dish rag patchouli). I never considered dry scents to be musty, but thinking about it, I can see how some dryer note such as incense can fall into the musty category too, as they sometimes recall stone catacombs; dry, yet musty.

Patchouli Nobile is particularly musty. It has that old bookshop smell. It opens that way and stays like it for a long while after. Not my favourite part though. It eventually dries down to a very moreish oakmossy skinscent. Great coming back to it on a sweatshirt after a day or two as well.

This one goes back to my teen years, but is the first scent that pops to my mind when you mention "musty". Windsong by Prince Matchabelli. I had a friend who wore this a lot, and every time she was around I would immediately think "what's musty here?". Then I'd see her and think "Oh. Yeah." Not in a bad way. Still available and still cheap as dirt!