Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What a disappointment...GIT (and assorted ranting)

where did you get the GIT? it's possible it actually was cool water. not that the difference is megasize, but still . . . if you paid 75 for a 4 oz bottle on ebay it was probably fake

CuyahogaJoe,

I too would like to know where you got your GIT?

The offer still stands about sending you samples.

Wolverines moving up towards ya
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

I too find GIT not for me. Right after joining BN, a female friend at work noticed my scents(just got my Creed's OV) that were coming in and we talked about them. Turned out that her DH uses GIT so I asked her if she would bring it to work so I could smell it as I too had read the glowing reviews of this Creed scent. She did, I sampled it and did not like it. It reminded me of another scent that I can't remember the name of but it was not for me even though my lady friend loved it on me and on her DH .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    The sharp, piercing opening notes remind my of toilet bowl cleaner, after 10 minutes a musty background emerges with a now stale cut lawn finally overtaking the bathroom cleaner.
    OMG! I got the same first impression with Cool Water...
    MikeD on Chaz by Revlon: "I knew a lady who took one sniff and said "bug spray." I never told the guy what she said, but the termites disappeared, oddly enough."

From one Joe to another:

It might be a question of excessive expectations, and a big emotional build up. I bought Chevalier d'Orsay because of what I read on this Site, and boy was I disappointed too. Now, many months later, I have pulled it out from the Drawer of Neglect, where all my disappointing fragrances go to linger on and on..., and I am trying it again, and liking it more.

I was expecting too much at first.

Joe
    Currently wearing: Benedictus by Excelsis

OK, I sent 17 samples to allow the op the chance to test some of the "popular" frags around here, and here are the results (please bear in mind that everyone has their own sense of smell, as well as opinions):

TOPNOTES, MIDNOTES, BASENOTES, SILLAGE (strong-medium-poor), LONGEVITY (long-medium-short), RATING (1-5 stars), COMMENTS, THE REVEAL

01 ???, sweetish, spicy, s, long, 4.25, reminds me of a cross between Hanae Mori and Gucci PH -> Bulgari Black
    02 urine, vanilla, musk, m, m/s, 4.00, dzing???? -> Rochas Man
    03 pepper, wood, evergreen/powder, m, m, 3.50, reminds me of CK obsession until drydown -> Floris Santal
    04 cardboard, sandalwood, burnt hair, s, m, 2.50, more GIT -> Victoria's Secret Very Sexy
    05 vanilla/cherry, powder, sweet/chocolate, m, m/l, 3.50, B*Men (???) -> Helmut Lang Cuiron
    06 citrus/clean, sandalwood, sandalwood/musk, m, m, 2.50, no comment -> Dior Homme
    07 civet, sandalwood, civet/insence, m, long, 3.50, creed (???) -> Kenneth Cole NY
    08 musty vanilla, sweet/rose, rose/patchuli, m, long, 3.00, A*men -> A*men
    09 soap, cloves, spicy/musk, s, very long, 4.25, 12 hrs ++++ -> Creed Bois du Portugal
    10 green, clean/soap, sour/musk, s, m/l, 3.25, GIT!!!!! -> Victoria's Secret Very Sexy 2
    11 sweet/bakery, flowery, fruity, s, m, 3.50, can't place it but I know it -> L'Artisan Tea for Two
    12 clean, green, no comment, m, m/s, 3.50, reminds me of GIT -> Kenneth Cole Black
    13 cherry cola, powder, sweet/powder, s, m/l, 4.00, my girlfriend's inner thigh -> YSL M7
    14 flowery, little spicy, sweet cherry/chocolate, m, long, 3.00, "a little girlie, but nice" -> Laura Biagiotti Roma Uomo
    15 roses?green, GITish, more GITish, m/s, m/l, 3.75, "nice, but I couldn't wear it" -> GIT
    16 vomit, ick, floral/sweet, m, s, 1.50, short lived..thank God -> Creed MI
    17 cumin, pepper, peppery/spicy, p, s, 3.00, Smokey Cantinaware -> Creed Tabarome Millsime

Hmmm, 1 out of 17... with that kind of accuracy, perhaps I should change careers to a weather forecaster

Fun experiment, thanks for not throwing in any Avon or Mary Kay frags zeram1

I might have to rethink my distain for sandlewood.

Hmmm, 1 out of 17... with that kind of accuracy, perhaps I should change careers to a weather forecaster

Fun experiment, thanks for not throwing in any Avon or Mary Kay frags zeram1

I might have to rethink my distain for sandlewood.
    The idea behind this study was not based upon your ability to match the samples with the actual fragrances, but rather a chance for you to try a range of frags for you to determine an alternative to GIT.

You did at least pick out GIT again as not one of your favourites in this blind study. I found it interesting that the somewhat highly touted MI was your lowest scoring frag though. It does appear that anything that seemed "flowery" was not appealing to you. You probably like a more "woodsy, spicier" accord. Have you tried Montale's Woods & Spices (it doesn't get any more obvious than this frag- well, at least in name)? Would you agree with this type of analysis?

Once again, good luck on your quest!
    Last edited by zeram1; 23rd October 2006 at 03:48 PM.

Scentemental sent me a wonderful sample atomizer of Caron's much discussed Third Man. At first, to be honest, I was NOT a happy camper. I kept smelling almost nothing BUT lavender (the "Third Man," as it were) and I was QUITE crestfallen. I put the sample away and didn't wear any of it for another week or two. Lo and behold, the zztopp approach worked this time 'round -- I gave the scent plenty of time to "settle" over the course of the day, and I then began to appreciate the complexity of the scent.

Some fragrances I still don't "get" -- no matter how hard I try. (For example, Zanzibar still bores me in spite of my love of spice, and A*men still wants to make me regurgitate yesterday's dinner.) Still, I find that it truly DOES help sometimes to take some time to give a fragrance the chance to make its magic happen.

I found it interesting that the somewhat highly touted MI was your lowest scoring frag though.
    My initial reaction to # 16 was "vomit"...I see in the directory MI has a note Bergamot. I've read reviews about the smell of bergamot being associated with "whale puke"...coincidence?

Have you tried Montale's Woods & Spices
    No, but it sounds good.

Would you agree with this type of analysis?
    There probably isn't a more non biased way to get a truly accurate response to a test like this. More experienced basenoters would use more perfume vernacular and true noses would know the notes, but perhaps not the frag's name.

It was interesting to say the least. Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

My initial reaction to # 16 was "vomit"...I see in the directory MI has a note Bergamot. I've read reviews about the smell of bergamot being associated with "whale puke"...coincidence?
    Can't say that I've been around a piss-faced drunk whale lately. Maybe on my next outing though

There probably isn't a more non biased way to get a truly accurate response to a test like this. More experienced basenoters would use more perfume vernacular and true noses would know the notes, but perhaps not the frag's name.

It was interesting to say the least. Thanks for the opportunity to participate.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I just hope that you've got a better understanding of the correlation of "notes" to what you've actually smelled.

Forgot to mention the extra tubes, not numbered but rather labeled as "BdP", were of course Creed Bois du Portugal.
    Last edited by zeram1; 23rd October 2006 at 09:40 PM.

CuyahogaJoe,

Any new revelations on your 2nd round of testing?
    So can you discern any more of the stated/claimed notes?
    Have your final ratings changed and or are any real keepers?
    Was it all worth the time/effort (and at a cost of only qtips and coffee beans)?

Anything beyond Geir or Cartier to your likings?

I also forgot to mention that Montale's Greyland is similar to Gucci's PH (but maybe a bit too similar). You can get samples from maisonstinky (Vijay of Suravionline).

BTW, thanks for the bottle. I was thinking that it would be some Buckeye-related item, or a dead wolverine kind of thing. I'll pop it open in 16days 14hours 55mins 39secs (kickoff).

Cheers,

zeram1

You're a nut, OPEN IT NOW!!!!!!!!! F the buckeye's and wolverwhimp's

Glad to hear it was received in good order.

Cheers
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 2nd November 2006 at 05:16 AM.