Code of Conduct

Default What a disappointment...GIT (and assorted ranting)

After reading all of the glorious praise in various threads, I anxiously awaited my precious parcel. Finally it had arrived. Like a little boy on Christmas morning, the package was disemboweled. Oh my God, just the site of it made me grin from ear to ear. I trembled...Be careful, remove the cap with the hands of a Saint as not to spill a drop of this rare Liqueur. FINALLY, I am going to smell the absolute nectar of the gods...the tears of Aphrodite herself. What do I do? How do I put it on?..Where? A little on my wrists, that will do it...and then the moment of moments, the one I'll remember like my wedding, my first born son, my Grandparents Golden anniversary...all wrapped up into one ceremonious moment..."The Moment of TRUTH"

What the hell? There MUST be some mistake...NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I got robbed, that dirty S.O.B. refilled the bottle with....Coolwater???? I accidentally bought that stuff years ago and tossed it in the trash a few days later. Oh No, it can't be true, but alas, it is true. The sharp, piercing opening notes remind my of toilet bowl cleaner, after 10 minutes a musty background emerges with a now stale cut lawn finally overtaking the bathroom cleaner. later the clumps of overgrown cut grass are rained upon, left to bake in the sun and then raked over the white mold and bacterial digestive secretions which finish this dime store paperback romance novel...aren't they all alike?

Very disappointing to say the least. The one positive thing I can say though is, it is multi-dimensional and after hours of distress, there is the faintest note of a freshly bloomed flower somewhere amung the acres and acres of sod.

I've been in business for many years and at times while discussing a contract or designing a job, I have experienced fragrances on women that just absolutely made me forget everything I was talking about. Jaw dropping amazement where all I can do is think about was "what kind of perfume is she wearing". Yes, it's quite embarrassing, but a totally involuntary reaction all the same.

I think the 5 star rating here is seriously flawed...not by design, but by abuse. Relating it to women, your Wife is 5 stars (how many do you have?), your mistress is 4, the chick with a nice ass is 2 and the one who won't let you buy her a drink is....

Perhaps part of the learning process is to become completely confused first, but I think it's rather odd that I've received more compliments with a simple classic aftershave than with any top end cologne...puzzling to say the least.

Wearing a niche fragrance isn't a badge of courage....is it?
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 30th September 2006 at 04:22 AM.

Default Re: What a disappointment...GIT (and assorted ranting)

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    later the clumps of overgrown cut grass are rained upon, left to bake in the sun and then raked over the white mold and bacterial digestive secretions which finish ...

Thats the best part of GIT ! You wont find that accord in Cool Water.
    -

After reading all of the glorious praise in various threads, I anxiously awaited my precious parcel. Finally it had arrived. Like a little boy on Christmas morning, the package was disemboweled. Oh my God, just the site of it made me grin from ear to ear. I trembled...Be careful, remove the cap with the hands of a Saint as not to spill a drop of this rare Liqueur. FINALLY, I am going to smell the absolute nectar of the gods...the tears of Aphrodite herself. What do I do? How do I put it on?..Where? A little on my wrists, that will do it...and then the moment of moments, the one I'll remember like my wedding, my first born son, my Grandparents Golden anniversary...all wrapped up into one ceremonious moment..."The Moment of TRUTH"

What the hell? There MUST be some mistake...NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I got robbed, that dirty S.O.B. refilled the bottle with....Coolwater???? I accidentally bought that stuff years ago and tossed it in the trash a few days later. Oh No, it can't be true, but alas, it is true. The sharp, piercing opening notes remind my of toilet bowl cleaner, after 10 minutes a musty background emerges with a now stale cut lawn finally overtaking the bathroom cleaner. later the clumps of overgrown cut grass are rained upon, left to bake in the sun and then raked over the white mold and bacterial digestive secretions which finish this dime store paperback romance novel...aren't they all alike?

Very disappointing to say the least. The one positive thing I can say though is, it is multi-dimensional and after hours of distress, there is the faintest note of a freshly bloomed flower somewhere amung the acres and acres of sod.

I've been in business for many years and at times while discussing a contract or designing a job, I have experienced fragrances on women that just absolutely made me forget everything I was talking about. Jaw dropping amazement where all I can do is think about was "what kind of perfume is she wearing". Yes, it's quite embarrassing, but a totally involuntary reaction all the same.

I think the 5 star rating here is seriously flawed...not by design, but by abuse. Relating it to women, your Wife is 5 stars (how many do you have?), your mistress is 4, the chick with a nice ass is 2 and the one who won't let you buy her a drink is....

Perhaps part of the learning process is to become completely confused first, but I think it's rather odd that I've received more compliments with a simple classic aftershave than with any top end cologne...puzzling to say the least.

I'm sorry to hear a fellow NE Ohioan had this experience. Did you buy a bottle blind or was this a decant? I wouldn't write off all niches because of 1 bad experience. I just found basenotes 6 months ago, and they were all new to me then. I'm sure you will find one that moves you and is 5 stars like your description above, if you're willing to be patient and spend some bucks on samples and decants. I certainly have, but it has been very expensive. Don't lose all hope and let's beat Iowa tomorrow.

I got a decant of GIT from a generous basenoter and was unpleasently surprised. It did absolutely nothing for me. From top to bottom it felt soggy and leaden to me.
    m

I had the same experience with Gucci Envy.The ppl here on BN go ballistic over this fragrance.I dont think there is one average review of this frag.I bought it blind,and i was so so disappointed.I just think its ok...nothing unique.
    I feel your pain.
    Im pretty new here and the greatest lesson ive learned is that you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to try it on your own skin.The reviews are subjective and if 100 ppl give a frag a 5 stars,there is a good chance youll hate it.The same goes for badly reviewed frags,youll get 100 negative reviews,you try it and think its the greatest gift to mankind.An example here is the Hugo Boss frags.They constantly get bad press and reviews here,but i LOVE most of them!

On average, niche fragrances are more complex than the Hugo Bosses, and Ralph Laurens of the world, and need extended periods of wear to "get".

But if you still dont like them after a month or two of wear, its still cool.
    -

Thumbs up Re: What a disappointment...GIT (and assorted ranting)

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    I wouldn't write off all niches because of 1 bad experience
    Absolutely not, I'm sure the 5 star is out there and most likely in a niche, but it almost seems as if it's somehow impolite to tell the truth about some of these offerings. Maybe I just don't understand the whole frag thing.

When an ordinary woman wears something sensually attractive, she appears extraordinary...to me anyway. I've never been taught this, it's just something I've always felt. Am I totally off on the whole "wearing fragrance as an accessory" thing? Do I have to re-think my entire theory?

Thanks for the feedback and GO BUCKS!!!

Saflyfish, I agree and I think I'm going to use that exact reverse-psychology in searching for the next series of samples I assemble.

ZZ, I've been reading your posts and I respect them to the point I read all of your reviews the other day, but I guess I don't "get" why someone would wear something they didn't like for a month or two just to understand the intentions of the house from which it was created...unless it's just for the appreciation of the effort.

ZZ, I've been reading your posts and I respect them to the point I read all of your reviews the other day, but I guess I don't "get" why someone would wear something they didn't like for a month or two just to understand the intentions of the house from which it was created...unless it's just for the appreciation of the effort.

Thanks a lot for reading my reviews. For expensive niche fragrances, its always better to try out decants first. A few fragrances that I warmed up 2-3 months after trying them out for the first time:

Caron Pour Un homme
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    YSL Kouros
    L'artisan Dzing!
    Bulgari Black
    FMalle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Creed Acier Aluminum
    -

Yes, the question you have to ask is are you wearing the frag for yourself to enjoy, or for others, or both?

But then the whole idea that "what makes you feel good is what you should wear" does not, of course, always work (i.e. A-men) The reverse as well (A-men again). You did want a frag that had the chance to work in all situations though, right?

Have you tried it outside yet and are you sure you purchased the real deal?

Maybe you want to let the sod grow on ya a bit more than just the 1st application.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

I had a similar reaction five years ago, and immediately came and wrote something here about it, along the lines of what you wrote, as I owned a bottle and a half of Cool Water at the time.

But times change. I still own that bottle and a half of Cool Water, but I also own three bottles of GIT.
    Renato

GIT smells very very similar to Cool Water at first but the real magic is in its drydown... Give it a few more tries!

Those who dislike their GITs can always sell it off to me cheaply! Hehe....

Quote:
    He was asking for a frag suitable for both day (around the guys) as well as for night (around the ladies) - oversimplification
    In all likelihood, I'll not wear the same sig frag for day and eveningwear, perhaps not on a regular basis either.
    No, I am not looking for an all encompassing application. Maybe I worded my original post incorrectly.

I'm not blaming anyone for the performance of GIT or even that it had been recommended. It's a learning process and I'm enjoying it.

I agree with the A-men theory too, If it wasn't so sweet, I'd wear it often.

There are many factors to consider and when wore the GIT the second time, I did learn more about about it. It really is multi-dimensional which is more than I can say for many designer frags...I will give it that.

What about if I offer to
    take it off your hands for
    say...
    $56.99
    By the way have you tried the
    Aniversario No. 2
    CG

Quote Originally Posted by caboose
    By the way have you tried the
    Aniversario No. 2
    No I haven't, is that another Creed product? I looked up Aniversario No. 2 in the directory and nothing matches the name.

Did you try it "outside" and either ask anyone else what they thought about it or perhaps someone may have approached you about it, or is it just that "not for me" and thus not even worth it in your opinion?

So it was definitely an authentic Creed sample? Have you tried their BdP yet? I'd be willing to send you some (I own 3 flacons of my fav juice), if you don't mind the fact that I'm a Wolverine supporter
    Last edited by zeram1; 30th September 2006 at 07:21 AM.

I'm beginning to understand that it IS a learning process. Perhaps it is in the application. I've been doing a general mist after I get out of the shower and not a spray concentrated on a specific spot i.e. wrist, inside elbow, neck etc. It definitely has a different effect when applied in a small area as opposed to a walk though spray.

In a sense, I'm lucky with my skin type. I've never worn more than one spray of anything and most frags last for hours (except Vercase Black Jeans), That might be why I'm so oversensitive to some notes...like sandalwood. Most cologne has a sharp harsh irritating burning sensation on my sinus and it's probably been my fault the whole time.

I haven't tried it outside nor have I requested an opinion from anyone. Nobody has commented either positively or negatively and I'm learning the difference form coolwater, so I believe is the real stuff.

No GIT is my first Creed, I'm guessing BdP is Creed also? Sorry, I can't accept a gift from a MEEECHIGIN fan

I'd be honored to accept a sample. PM sent

What I don't understand is, in regards to your GIT purchase, it seems you read all the hype but seemed to also ignore all the reviews indicating the similarities between cool water and GIT...not sure that makes much sense.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Sure can't argue with that, you're right. I did read 84 reviews and still bought it. It doesn't make sence, but I think by the time it's all said and done, I'm going to be happy I did....does that make sence?

Reading all the rave reviews about certain frags you tend to buy stuff blindly, it's so tempting - I gotta have that miraculous nectar no matter what! Avignon is one such example - I don't smell any medieval churches and whatnot in it, just cola mixed with brandy kinda thing. Not bad but not what I expected. Just yesterday I had another similar experience with Fumerie Turque which is sold in the UK finally and seems to be among top 5 most beloved and praised frags here on Basenotes. While it's a pleasant frag it didn't blow me away at all - smoky rose sweetened by honey..a dark romantic oriental i'd say. (I'll give it a few more tries though). So one of the most important lessons I learnt on this great site is try before you buy a full bottle. Test it first and if you're not hugely impressed, well, try not to buy it. ('cause I'll buy FT anyway, I guess)

As for GIT, I've never found it very interesting or unique either, however, if you haven't tried BdP, you def. should, that's a different story!!

I only brought it up because I bought the creed hype as a newbie myself. If I went solely on reviews alone, I never would have discovered Erolfa, OV, or MI; everyone seems to hate these ones for one reason or another.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Sorry you didn't like it, but I'm not shocked. I've sampled GIT a number of times, have never been wowed, and can't really recollect what it smells like (I can readily call to mind the Creeds I own and quite a few of those I don't). That's why I don't own it. The fact that it's got a following here and has many positive reviews is merely of interest to me.

I'd offer the following thoughts:

- Buying blind is always risky. You have seen why.

- This isn't rocket science, or even science. If you like or dislike something, it doesn't matter what people on this board think. This is true no matter how new you are here.

- Reading the reviews is an acquired skill. No one is being paid to review things here, and most people mostly choose to review favorites or things they really don't like. Some reviewers are regular board participants and others are random people with limited track records (this is especially true for heavily reviewed fragrances). In time, you will decide whose views to credit the most. As with eBay, it's often wise to pay disproportionate attention to the negative comments.

- There's a 5-star rating system here? Not one that anyone pays attention to. Not one that is standardized in the slightest. Everyone is bound to apply a personal standard to rating the fragrances in their wardrobes.

- There can be a bias here toward the latest new thing, especially if it is a Creed. For a time you would have thought Himalaya cured most human diseases, but its reputation has settled to a level where it's seldom mentioned (this is another Creed I would put in the nondescript category).

- Only buy things you have positive feelings about at first sniff. There ought to be enough like that. Your tastes may evolve over time, but you're unlikely to start loving something that didn't make much impression initially. You will notice new things with multiple wearings, but your basic "take" on the fragrance is unlikely to change.

Looking at your original brief, I think you might consider trying Creed Cyprès-Musc and L'Artisan Timbuktu. It might be hard to source a sample of the first.

......but I think it's rather odd that I've received more compliments with a simple classic aftershave than with any top end cologne...puzzling to say the least.

Ok, what was it, the "classic aftershave," that is?

Overcome By Fumes

I looked back at your thread originally stating what you were looking for in a fragrance, and I still have no idea why someone would think GIT would be the one. Sure it is popular here, but it barely met any of your criteria. Even the one originally suggesting it withdrew the recommendation after some discussion. Just because a fragrance is "well made" does not ensure someone will enjoy it.

Better luck with your other tries!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson

- There can be a bias here toward the latest new thing, especially if it is a Creed. For a time you would have thought Himalaya cured most human diseases, but its reputation has settled to a level where it's seldom mentioned (this is another Creed I would put in the nondescript category).

I think that phase has passed - Creed has been usurped by L'Artisan and/or Serge Lutens as the darling house here. Infact, recent discussions on the Lutens' scents Chergui, Fumerie Turque etc. have have led me to believe that if I dont atleast try these, I would be considered a perfume illiterate on the forum

Creed is also rarely discussed at any other perfume blog (try finding Creed reviews anywhere other than Basenotes or MUA).
    Last edited by zztopp; 30th September 2006 at 04:19 PM.
    -

I totally agree with you on GIT. I find it boring as well, and the longevity is pitiful. I still say you should give Dzing a shot ; )
    Last edited by DJB; 30th September 2006 at 04:30 PM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

. . . No GIT is my first Creed, I'm guessing BdP is Creed also? Sorry, I can't accept a gift from a MEEECHIGIN fan

I'd be honored to accept a sample. PM sent
    Just because a scent is not heavily reviewed anywhere else, does not mean that it's not a good/great scent.
    Just because a frag doesn't make "the most complimented frag" list, does not mean that it was even tested/utilised (unless duly noted as such).
    Also note that while some think that Creed's been upsurped by other "newer kids on the block", you are looking for "wearability".
    Everyone has their own opinion, and as the saying goes "opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one" (and around here that may be in the plural, myself included).

Yes, BdP is a Creed collection fav (and not just in my opinion). Check out this thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=187071

Ayala is a great "perfume designer" whose kindly lent all of us her "nose" and analyzed all of the notes of BdP.

I also recommend the BN directory (there are 29 reviews): http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120233.html

Finally (as I like to put it), the mainly "women's perspective" at: (EDIT - I removed the makeupalley link due to possible rules issues, you'll have to find it yourself)

But remember that their "would buy it again" is a lower score because the ladies are basing their opinion on a more "masculine" frag, which they wouldn't generally find appealing on them, but MUA does have a lot of women that say that (for example) that "fragX smelled wonderful on their DH (dear husband)", etc.etc.

I'd also suggest that you can find 2 good frags and carry them around. I use two long and skinny 5ml pen-like applicators (w/ caps) that easily/unobtrusively fit in my bag/pocket. You can also find dual (2-in-1) sprayers that are also "mobile" (I can point you towards them as well, if you'd like). I personally carry GIT and BdP around for "rescenting", or "changing" while on-the-go.

I do believe that you may want to restate your desires/wants on this "GIT"-bashing (just joking - for we're all allowed our own opinions - you say Buckeyes and I say Wolverines) thread though, for you may get other suggestions as well.

Let me know what you think and get back to me.

Good Luck
    Last edited by zeram1; 30th September 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Just speaking from my perspective, but I would never wear anything merely to understand the intentions of the scent's creator. I would, and have, worn fragrances I didn't originally like because there was something compelling going on that I wanted to get my nose around, and it has almost always been rewarded, often resulting in appreciating some scents so much that I never want to be without them. Challenging your senses is a big part of what makes this hobby fun. It's the BORING fragrances that I don't have time for.

Quote Originally Posted by scentinell
    Ok, what was it, the "classic aftershave," that is?
    Dominica Bay Rum

There is no doubt that during the past 20 hours, I've learned more about the art of perfume than I've ever know in my life. In an ironic twist, I have GIT to thank for that.

Nearly ever reply has had a wealth of knowledge within it's comments and now it's up to me to not only try to understand it, but to apply it.

The cost has now been justified.

Thanks for all the feedback

Why would scents be different from girls? We don't always see the angel in them. Perhaps hate them at first sight. We never can tell the moment from which we find something in them which would make them so special.
    I don't agree that if I don't love a scent the very first minute then no more chance for it. Be patient.
    I'm glad that these arguments take place the first week of my having GIT. Not every minute do I love it with the same enthusiasm - which is an understatement. But apart from any Cary Grant, Woody Allen and Julius Caesar hype (sorry for not enlisting all), this is a scent worth to discover.

where did you get the GIT? it's possible it actually was cool water. not that the difference is megasize, but still . . . if you paid 75 for a 4 oz bottle on ebay it was probably fake

CuyahogaJoe,

I too would like to know where you got your GIT?

The offer still stands about sending you samples.

Wolverines moving up towards ya

I too find GIT not for me. Right after joining BN, a female friend at work noticed my scents(just got my Creed's OV) that were coming in and we talked about them. Turned out that her DH uses GIT so I asked her if she would bring it to work so I could smell it as I too had read the glowing reviews of this Creed scent. She did, I sampled it and did not like it. It reminded me of another scent that I can't remember the name of but it was not for me even though my lady friend loved it on me and on her DH .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

The sharp, piercing opening notes remind my of toilet bowl cleaner, after 10 minutes a musty background emerges with a now stale cut lawn finally overtaking the bathroom cleaner.
    OMG! I got the same first impression with Cool Water...
    MikeD on Chaz by Revlon: "I knew a lady who took one sniff and said "bug spray." I never told the guy what she said, but the termites disappeared, oddly enough."

From one Joe to another:

It might be a question of excessive expectations, and a big emotional build up. I bought Chevalier d'Orsay because of what I read on this Site, and boy was I disappointed too. Now, many months later, I have pulled it out from the Drawer of Neglect, where all my disappointing fragrances go to linger on and on..., and I am trying it again, and liking it more.

I was expecting too much at first.

Joe

OK, I sent 17 samples to allow the op the chance to test some of the "popular" frags around here, and here are the results (please bear in mind that everyone has their own sense of smell, as well as opinions):

TOPNOTES, MIDNOTES, BASENOTES, SILLAGE (strong-medium-poor), LONGEVITY (long-medium-short), RATING (1-5 stars), COMMENTS, THE REVEAL

01 ???, sweetish, spicy, s, long, 4.25, reminds me of a cross between Hanae Mori and Gucci PH -> Bulgari Black
    02 urine, vanilla, musk, m, m/s, 4.00, dzing???? -> Rochas Man
    03 pepper, wood, evergreen/powder, m, m, 3.50, reminds me of CK obsession until drydown -> Floris Santal
    04 cardboard, sandalwood, burnt hair, s, m, 2.50, more GIT -> Victoria's Secret Very Sexy
    05 vanilla/cherry, powder, sweet/chocolate, m, m/l, 3.50, B*Men (???) -> Helmut Lang Cuiron
    06 citrus/clean, sandalwood, sandalwood/musk, m, m, 2.50, no comment -> Dior Homme
    07 civet, sandalwood, civet/insence, m, long, 3.50, creed (???) -> Kenneth Cole NY
    08 musty vanilla, sweet/rose, rose/patchuli, m, long, 3.00, A*men -> A*men
    09 soap, cloves, spicy/musk, s, very long, 4.25, 12 hrs ++++ -> Creed Bois du Portugal
    10 green, clean/soap, sour/musk, s, m/l, 3.25, GIT!!!!! -> Victoria's Secret Very Sexy 2
    11 sweet/bakery, flowery, fruity, s, m, 3.50, can't place it but I know it -> L'Artisan Tea for Two
    12 clean, green, no comment, m, m/s, 3.50, reminds me of GIT -> Kenneth Cole Black
    13 cherry cola, powder, sweet/powder, s, m/l, 4.00, my girlfriend's inner thigh -> YSL M7
    14 flowery, little spicy, sweet cherry/chocolate, m, long, 3.00, "a little girlie, but nice" -> Laura Biagiotti Roma Uomo
    15 roses?green, GITish, more GITish, m/s, m/l, 3.75, "nice, but I couldn't wear it" -> GIT
    16 vomit, ick, floral/sweet, m, s, 1.50, short lived..thank God -> Creed MI
    17 cumin, pepper, peppery/spicy, p, s, 3.00, Smokey Cantinaware -> Creed Tabarome Millsime

Hmmm, 1 out of 17... with that kind of accuracy, perhaps I should change careers to a weather forecaster

Fun experiment, thanks for not throwing in any Avon or Mary Kay frags zeram1

I might have to rethink my distain for sandlewood.

Hmmm, 1 out of 17... with that kind of accuracy, perhaps I should change careers to a weather forecaster

Fun experiment, thanks for not throwing in any Avon or Mary Kay frags zeram1

I might have to rethink my distain for sandlewood.
    The idea behind this study was not based upon your ability to match the samples with the actual fragrances, but rather a chance for you to try a range of frags for you to determine an alternative to GIT.

You did at least pick out GIT again as not one of your favourites in this blind study. I found it interesting that the somewhat highly touted MI was your lowest scoring frag though. It does appear that anything that seemed "flowery" was not appealing to you. You probably like a more "woodsy, spicier" accord. Have you tried Montale's Woods & Spices (it doesn't get any more obvious than this frag- well, at least in name)? Would you agree with this type of analysis?

Once again, good luck on your quest!
    Last edited by zeram1; 23rd October 2006 at 03:48 PM.

Scentemental sent me a wonderful sample atomizer of Caron's much discussed Third Man. At first, to be honest, I was NOT a happy camper. I kept smelling almost nothing BUT lavender (the "Third Man," as it were) and I was QUITE crestfallen. I put the sample away and didn't wear any of it for another week or two. Lo and behold, the zztopp approach worked this time 'round -- I gave the scent plenty of time to "settle" over the course of the day, and I then began to appreciate the complexity of the scent.

Some fragrances I still don't "get" -- no matter how hard I try. (For example, Zanzibar still bores me in spite of my love of spice, and A*men still wants to make me regurgitate yesterday's dinner.) Still, I find that it truly DOES help sometimes to take some time to give a fragrance the chance to make its magic happen.

I found it interesting that the somewhat highly touted MI was your lowest scoring frag though.
    My initial reaction to # 16 was "vomit"...I see in the directory MI has a note Bergamot. I've read reviews about the smell of bergamot being associated with "whale puke"...coincidence?

Have you tried Montale's Woods & Spices
    No, but it sounds good.

Would you agree with this type of analysis?
    There probably isn't a more non biased way to get a truly accurate response to a test like this. More experienced basenoters would use more perfume vernacular and true noses would know the notes, but perhaps not the frag's name.

It was interesting to say the least. Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

My initial reaction to # 16 was "vomit"...I see in the directory MI has a note Bergamot. I've read reviews about the smell of bergamot being associated with "whale puke"...coincidence?
    Can't say that I've been around a piss-faced drunk whale lately. Maybe on my next outing though

There probably isn't a more non biased way to get a truly accurate response to a test like this. More experienced basenoters would use more perfume vernacular and true noses would know the notes, but perhaps not the frag's name.

It was interesting to say the least. Thanks for the opportunity to participate.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I just hope that you've got a better understanding of the correlation of "notes" to what you've actually smelled.

Forgot to mention the extra tubes, not numbered but rather labeled as "BdP", were of course Creed Bois du Portugal.
    Last edited by zeram1; 23rd October 2006 at 09:40 PM.

CuyahogaJoe,

Any new revelations on your 2nd round of testing?
    So can you discern any more of the stated/claimed notes?
    Have your final ratings changed and or are any real keepers?
    Was it all worth the time/effort (and at a cost of only qtips and coffee beans)?

Anything beyond Geir or Cartier to your likings?

I also forgot to mention that Montale's Greyland is similar to Gucci's PH (but maybe a bit too similar). You can get samples from maisonstinky (Vijay of Suravionline).

BTW, thanks for the bottle. I was thinking that it would be some Buckeye-related item, or a dead wolverine kind of thing. I'll pop it open in 16days 14hours 55mins 39secs (kickoff).

Cheers,

zeram1

You're a nut, OPEN IT NOW!!!!!!!!! F the buckeye's and wolverwhimp's

Glad to hear it was received in good order.

Cheers
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 2nd November 2006 at 05:16 AM.