Code of Conduct

Default How long can a frag last on the shelf?

I was wondering how long a frag stays good unopened,sealed on a department store shelf.The frag could be 2,3 or more years old.Does this matter?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How long can a frag last on the shelf?

It really depends on the condition it's kept in. A frag that's on a shelf were light isn't directly on it for 10 hours a day will last considerably less than a frag that's on a shelf where light isn't directly affecting it.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Under ideal conditions, virtually indefinitely. The best is just to keep your fragrances away from light/heat sources.

Dept stores usually have plenty of light which is placed very high on the ceilings.So theres no neat.Indeed there is airconditioning.

Light shouldn't be a problem if the article is still sealed, should it? I mean they almost always come boxed so they won't catch any light. Besides, my bottle of Armani White went bad within two or three years, and that's one of those metal tubes - totally opaque.

Actually I'd like to have the manufacturing date on the packages. Those SAs (yeah yeah) always tell you that it's only good for this long, or that long, I even once had one who said that summer editions always were without alcohol (which is either incompetence or lying) and thus only were good for six months. So how come there is no "best before" on the package?

It really depends on the frag. I've had some for 20 years that smell perfect and others a few years old that seem "off." Few go truly "bad" (as opposed to subtle changes) in less than 10 years if stored properly. Some even improve, at least in my opinion -- Kouros is in that camp. My decade-old bottle smells MUCH better than new stuff, softer and more mellow. I've recently started using a mini frdge, and I fully expect them to last under that condition indefinately.