Code of Conduct

Default Scents heavy on incense AND tonka/vanilla?

Hi,
    the search by notes in the directory doesn't work (at least here), so I have to ask: What fragrances are there that have a big PUNCH of incense (like Gucci ph, CdG 2 Man), and at the same time have some creamy, vanillic tonka? The gucci and CdG ones have a certain appeal, but smell a bit too much like sunday morning

I know there is probably a number of orientals with incense and tonka or vanilla, but I really am talking about LOTS of incense and (maybe?) LOTS of tonka/vanilla.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scents heavy on incense AND tonka/vanilla?

Guerlain Winter Delice would be my favorite for this description, perhaps heavier on the incense. Chopard Wish is heavier on the vanilla, but both notes still quite detectable. And then there's good ol' Guerlain Habit Rouge, although that has plenty of other notes too...

Thanks, I guess the Winter Delice is too hard to come by for just trying it. Wish by Chopard, is there a male version of that? The scent I have pictured in my mind is definitely manly. I have a vial of Habit Rouge, and it doesn't have the masculine spiky incense that I would wish for.

Any more suggestions?

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess you just need to step up to the Incense series from Comme des Garcons. Both Avignon and Ouarzazate have vanilla in addition heavy doses of incense. Neither is particularly feminine.

Signature (DuPont)
    Opium for Men (though I don't like it)
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Body Kouros! While it isn't "heavy", it is strong and features benzoin and incense.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second signature by ST Dupont. Moreoover, you might wanna check Padparadscha which has a good dose of incense and vanilla.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

You can find, what you want in:
    Hugo Boss Soul:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123782.html

or Allure Chanel

Maybe I'll check that CdG series.
    I have never seen DuPont, have to look for that, same goes for Padparascha. Opium - I bought this days ago and LOVE it, but it isn't that smoky churchy incensy. If I remember Body Kouros correctly it is very nice, but also not quite what I'm looking for.

Allure and Soul neither have incense in them according to the directory.

What I had in mind was essentially Gucci ph with additional tonka. Not just a fragrance that, while having incense and tonka in it, really smells very different due to a lot of other notes.
    Ah well, maybe there is no such thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Hoggar by Yves Rocher!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Something that came to mind immediately was Dolce & Gabanna PH. One time when I was wearing it around a friend it was driving him crazy 'cause he was trying to find out where the incense was coming from. And I think it has a pretty creamy drydown. It's been awhile since I've worn this, though. My memory may be off.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I can completely sympathise with your desire to find something like Gucci pH with tonka. Believe me, if I had a penny for every time I wished they had made the amber in the base just a touch sweeter, I would be a gazillionaire by now. That said - one of the things I do when I needed to satisfy this craving is to layer Caron pour une homme and Comme des Garcons Avingnon on it. I start with Caron - wait 5 minutes and after the lavander starts to fade and the amber and vanilla start coming through, I add several spritzes of Avingnon over it.

This is one of my all time favourite smells to fall asleep to. Hot shower, and this combination, and soft pjs - ah the sleep of angels

Please try it and let me know if you like it.

Another option - although it might be totally off the mark is Jicky - which after hours of moving through lavander, herbs, flowers and iris comes to end on a leathery incence note that has huge dollops of Tonka in it. This was the smell that got me hooked on to the idea and the - so far futile -search for a pure vanilla and incense perfume.

How about throwing in some Gaultier˛ (Amber, Musk, Vanilla) into the mix?
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

There seem to be different kinds of incense around, the Gucci one is the churchy sharp olibanaum, while there are sweeter, less spiky incenses used in Asia (correct me if I'm wrong), and in many (quasi)orientals. While the latter smell good also, I really need that cathedral feel for this one.

paranoidandroid: That layering suggestion sounds interesting, for lack of your two scents I am trying Burberry Brit on Gucci ph. So far it seems rather close to what I had in mind, and I feel somewhat reminded of Body Kouros.

EDIT: DAMN that was too much Brit. Maybe I'll mix in a vial rather than splashing out of two small vials..
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 1st October 2006 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    There seem to be different kinds of incense around, the Gucci one is the churchy sharp olibanaum, while there are sweeter, less spiky incenses used in Asia (correct me if I'm wrong), and in many (quasi)orientals. While the latter smell good also, I really need that cathedral feel for this one.

paranoidandroid: That layering suggestion sounds interesting, for lack of your two scents I am trying Burberry Brit on Gucci ph. So far it seems rather close to what I had in mind, and I feel somewhat reminded of Body Kouros.

EDIT: DAMN that was too much Brit. Maybe I'll mix in a vial rather than splashing out of two small vials..
    Yes - you are correct. Olibanum or frankincense is the churchy incense in Gucci pH. There are many other kinds of incenses - Myrrh, Oppoponax and myarid balsams. Even resinous woods like Cedar and Oudh and also pure resins like labdanum can sometimes smell incensy. What you are looking for is Avingnon - believe me - it is the smell of a roman catholic mass. It is not terribly expensive either - you should definitely invest in it when you find yourself with a spot of cash.

Oh yeah - easy on the trigger with Brit.