Code of Conduct

Default Miller Harris L'Air de Rien

I just had a chance to smell this one today at my local Harvey Nicks.

This scent is the one that Lynn Harris has created on behalf of Jane Birkin. It really is a very nice spicy oriental. It is so reminiscent of Nag Champa incense sticks. Lovely!!

Default Re: Miller Harris L'Air de Rien

Oh, how I wish our stores in the Midwest carried Miller Harris. Nag Champa fascinates me. The local headshop has a brand of incense called Super Hit, an amazing heady, sweet nag champa, and I wished it came in perfume.

For some reason this is one "celebrity scent" I have been very anxious to sample.
    Thanks for the postive heads up! Does it last long?

I only sprayed it on my wrist Helg, but it lasted about 4 hours before I showered and even after my shower, I could still smell it faintly on my wrist.

Thanks Barry for the info. This means lasting in my books :-)

A few of the Miller Harrises have almost won me over, but not quite. I wonder if this will be the one?

Vanille, this one doesn't smell like a typical MH scent, it doesn't appear to have the 'murky' MH drydown.

Let us know what you think if you get a chance to try it.

Well, on my skin LīAir de Rien lasts all day - itīs staying power is rather incredible!
    Itīs possibly the best MH fragrance Iīve ever smelt, but itīs extremely sweet on me: orange blossoms & musk, rather linear but nevertheless lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Malena
    Well, on my skin LīAir de Rien lasts all day - itīs staying power is rather incredible!
    Itīs possibly the best MH fragrance Iīve ever smelt, but itīs extremely sweet on me: orange blossoms & musk, rather linear but nevertheless lovely.
    Malena, did you get the Nag Champa note from it?

No, not at all! Iīve an original sample directly from MH so I think it canīt be a mislabeled...

Crikey! I had better sniff the tester in Harvey Nicks again at the weekend and make sure that what I sprayed was the L'Air de Rien. I will feel such a fool if it was something different....LOL!

I read some reviews on LīAir de Rien & it seems that nobody - besides me -is getting such a sweet fragrance.
    So actually I was wondering which sample I got...but as I said before, itīs directly from MH & moreover, I know almost all of their fragrances & none of them smells like this one...
    Well, if you tested it again, please let me know, Iīm really curious now!

I read some reviews on LīAir de Rien & it seems that nobody - besides me -is getting such a sweet fragrance.
    So actually I was wondering which sample I got...but as I said before, itīs directly from MH & moreover, I know almost all of their fragrances & none of them smells like this one...
    Well, if you tested it again, please let me know, Iīm really curious now!
    I will make sure that I spray some on again on Saturday and let you know as soon as I get home. It's intriguing me now.

This is the first MH fragrance I loved so much I bought a bottle as soon as I sniffed it. In fact, at the minute I have to force myself into wearing other fragrances. I have to say though, I get no nag champa from it at all. On me, it's a deep, resinous but clean fragrance. It reminds me of waxed wooden floors, but in a really, really good way!The other fragrance it reminds me of is Jicky, which I wore for years and years as my sole, signature scent. The name is perfect - it might seem "nothing", but it so much more than that! Love it.

Oh, I am getting so excited about this one! This is when I wish I lived in London so I could get my hands on it NOW. The more I read, the more I want it.

Malena, you ARE the only one I've heard who gets blown away by the sweetness. I wonder what it is about your skin's reaction with the juice that makes it so sweet on you?

Must. Try. SOOOON.

Post Re: Miller Harris L'Air de Rien

rockinruby: Iīve no idea why it is so sweet, but when I smell at the little sample vial, it smells exactly the same: sweet!
    I think itīs really a bit strange that everybody else seems to talk about a completely different scent...
    The notes are (according to MH): French oak moss, Tunesian neroli, sweet musk, amber & vanilla.
    Normally I donīt have any problem with fragrances getting too sweet on me. I really donīt understand whatīs going on...?! Iīd love to purchase "LīAir de Rien", but what if I get a totaly different scent?!
    I donīt live in th UK, so there isnīt any possibility to get another sample or smell at a bottle...oh well...

This is having me on my toes!!

On a side note: amber and vanilla and sweet musk are all sweet notes. Surely if one refers to it in the manner of -say-orange blossom is a sweet smell (in which case cotton candy is tooth cavities), it wouldn;t be surprising to call it sweet? It's a relative term, I guess.

Anyway, when I sample it I will know for sure.

orange blossoms donīt have to be sweet, normally I refer to them as fresh/refreshing smelling & well, not really sweet, but this one is definitely very sweet - at least on me !
    Iīd be interested in other opinions for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    Oh, how I wish our stores in the Midwest carried Miller Harris. Nag Champa fascinates me. The local headshop has a brand of incense called Super Hit, an amazing heady, sweet nag champa, and I wished it came in perfume.
    Purplebird,

Some stores carry a Nag Champa oil. I am not sure if it is for using on the skin or just for environmental fragrance, but I can check into this for you (if the store I've seen it in still has it).

I love many of the Miller Harris line. My favourite being Feuilles de Tabac (on eof my favourite leather/tobacco scent too), and I also like a lot Citron Citron (one of the very few citruses that don't bore me to freshness) and Noix de Tubereuse.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Nag Champa does come in solid perfume form, and spray I think still. You can get it on the NagChampa website. Am I allowed to say that? I had a solid perfume of it in a soapstone but it's been gone for a long time. Boo hoo. I have like 5 boxes fo the incense left if you want a box? I will never burn it all and so it sits here.
    peyote ain't no coyote
    i love fumes

orange blossoms donīt have to be sweet, normally I refer to them as fresh/refreshing smelling & well, not really sweet
    I agree that it is a refreshing note, but it has an underlying sweetness, it's not bitter or dry.(which would be antithetical to sweet).
    When I say sweet I don't mean dessert-sweet.
    See, it's relative? I find jasmine very sweet to bring another floral example.

I am going to be spraying some on again today when I visit Harvey Nicks and I will make sure that it is the Rien that I try. I will post what I think and make sure that I did get a Nag Champa note from it.

I sprayed some more on today. Don't think I sprayed as much as last week, but there is a definate Nag Champa note there. Very sweet and oriental smelling with a touch of spice.

But you do think itīs sweet, too, donīt you???
    - Please, tell me that Iīm not the only one

But you do think itīs sweet, too, donīt you???
    - Please, tell me that Iīm not the only one
    Yes Malena, it is definitely sweet, no doubt about it my dear.

Thank you, Prince Barry, Iīm feeling better now - I really started thinking somethingīs wrong with my sample
    Iīm testing it again today & I like it even more...sounds like Iīll "need" to purchase it...!

I say go for it Malena! It is a tad expensive though. It's a pity that it's not made in a 50ml bottle instead of 100ml.

Wearing a sample of this today. When I sprayed it on a card in Selfridges I thought it was truly, amazingly awful. On me, it reminds me of the smell of the wooden floor at school, when they polished and re-waxed or lacquered it over the half-term break. There is a strong moss note at first, which I quite like, and a faint haunting soft sweetness, rather like La Perla, or Y, mixed with a tiny dash of menthol. However it gets even less sweet as time goes on, and stays smelling of old, musty, but freshly scrubbed wooden desk drawer. It isn't one of those smells-ghastly-right-on-the-skin-but-great-sillage perfumes either, (the mark of certain aldehydes to me), it smells the same at all distances.

Sometimes scents smell sweeter than other times, so I will try this again in a couple of weeks, but for now, I don't really like this.