Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Black Nail Polish

Since Chanel brought out their Black Satin polish, which sold out in a blink and now goes for mad prices on ebay. Black polish is really the big trend.

So would you go black or is it too goth for you?

Have to say I really like the look with a top coat you get the black glass look.
    I didn't buy the Chanel but OPI Black Onyx,cheap on ebay of course!! LOL
    So far I have only done toe nails, but I have seen women with short nails and black polish looks very classic actually!
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Black Nail Polish

I've been wearing black nail polish since I was fifteen... my first nail polish was Cutex Jet Black!

I like the short-black-nails look, always have.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore black polish back a long time ago ... I have really short nails and I'm thinking of giving it a try again. I'm not going to buy the Chanel brand, though ... and I'm liking the black that has a bit of shimmer to it.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a good tip: first black nail polish, then any nacre shade on top, as thin layer as possible. The impression is still black but when the light hits your nails, there's a lovely glimmer.

to me black nail polish = french manicure for other women.

it's my signature polish specially on my short nails.

to spice it up add a layer of platinum or silver colored polish on top.

amazing effect.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

funny how the black polish look got trendy but there's women who have been doing it forever. i love the look. used to do it as a teenager, doing it again now but going for variation on the black: black with a lighter final layer (silver or irridescent), very dark wine color, dark dark blue. I look at all the colors to see what I like, then choose.

I agree short dark nails looks very chic. In fact today I got mine done with Opi's "Lincoln Park After Dark"
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

I love black polish on short nails. I wear my nails very short and as I have pale skin I think the dark dramatic colors, including black, look best, especially as I have rather squarish shaped hands with long fingers. Dainty colors don't always set them off to best advantage. I love some of the ideas for a shimmery coat on top of the black. Festive for the holidays.

Talking Re: Black Nail Polish

LOL. I have always liked wearing dark burgundy, navy or black nail lacquer because I can never grow my nails long! Also i have pale skin and the contrast looks good, i think. very dramatic and striking, which is the look i am drawn too i guess. I have been told i should wear pastels, but i feel more myself in deeper colors. I just like showing my dark/sexy side. All the trendy fashion obsessed people i knew thought the dark nail colors were gross, goth, tacky, or only for freaks. But now i am sure all those people are wearing it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought OPI Black Onyx but didn't like it at all. It went on looking semi transparent and took forever to dry. Didn't look good more than a few hours after application. I happened to win a bottle of Chanel Black Satin and wow, that's a good nail polish! Looks perfect after one application and lasts forever with a top coat.

Try OPI Lincon Park after Dark wich is a gorgeous dark wine-plum colour, looks almost black but a little less goth. Strangely this colour dries fast and lasts for ages

Post Thanks / Like

you wear what feels good. black nails done right are hard to beat on the right hands.

"you have to paint things black in order to make future possibilities more vivid."

Post Thanks / Like

I never have cared for dark nails on me or other people. I've always thought it was distracting and detracted from a person's face. I like a bright red with red lipstick though, and I think a black satin on short nails would be very good with a face very natural except for a lipgloss, three coats of mascara and liner. I have to say I only am attracted to the satin/matte black nail concept. It seems enough contrast without the shine......unless I had a black patent leather head band.
    Dear God, I really think like this. That a person's appearance is a bit like composing a painting, there should be a focal point-the face, IMO, and interesting accents for the eye to follow pleasantly, but always echoing back to the face. That's my gripe with too much cleavage, it's all people can look at, and there's not a woman in the world without something better to offer.
    Anyone concerned with "too Goth" can wear yellow gold jewlery and I think the Goth bubble will burst.

I just about have my Southern Baptist self talked into this!

Lincoln Park After Dark is gorgeous. It also has a great lacqeur look to it. Looks black from afar but the red shows up close.
    yummm,
    m

I haven't tried black, but I think it's a good idea. I like deep purple with lots of glitter, stars, moons etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I am wearing Lincoln Park after Dark on my toes
    It is as good as Chanel's "Vamp" in 1994!

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been doing black polish since I was in my teens, and well, I turn 40 this year. I have a lot of very dark polishes. Face Stockholm is my favourite black black – it is still nice and runny after several years and I only need two coats. I also have a Boots No 7 polish (no longer made, sadly) called Black Tulip, which is black shot through with iridescent midnight blue and a hint of gold; a L’Oreal black with glitter, and Chanel Ciel de Nuit, which came out not long after Rouge Noir/Vamp, and is a deep midnight blue with very fine blue and silver glitter in it.
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 1st February 2007 at 10:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    I haven't tried black, but I think it's a good idea. I like deep purple with lots of glitter, stars, moons etc.
    LOL! Me too! If I ever go, definately the manicure of choice---perhaps with purple streaks in my hair, and dangle earrings of ten gold stars!
    Last edited by Shycat; 31st January 2007 at 06:55 PM.

I like the short-black-nails look too,
    but hubby thinks it's too goth.
    So I wear dark purple, dark burgundy
    and brown. He loves those, even though
    they look black
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are nice with the new shorter lengths; long ones look like Addams family, IMHO. That being said, as a tax accountant, I couldn't imagine wearing black nail to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally going to try it the idea of layering black with other colors, thanks!

I love that Chanel is trying to bring black nail polish into the mainstream. Unfortunately, it seems wrong with my light-olive skin tone unless it's with The Perfect Outfit for it. I mostly go for black-reds instead.

Skin tones that I think it looks best on are either really pale or rather dark. Plus, you've got to have panache to pull it off.
    Last edited by bernat; 28th November 2007 at 11:19 PM.

I have worn black nail polish since I was a teenager. I think it can be very elegant. Also if its topped with a thin layer of burgundy with some sparklies in it, it looks very festive! I also enjoy a French manicure type application of another color such as silver or gold along the top. Try adding some glitter over that part for a pretty look.
    *Vintage Perfume Bottle Identification & Appraisal Services Available.
    **Author of over 250 eBay guides on vintage perfumes & vanity accessories.
    **Proud member of the International Perfume Bottle Association

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wearing Chanel's Blue Satin, which looks black at first glance but is really a super dark blue. When I want black, I wear Chanel's Ceramique Noir, which has a bit of shimmer to it. I only do my toenails though, since painted nails on guys still don't fly, even in the cosmetics industry.

Post Thanks / Like

I just can't get into black polish...on me or on others...it never looks "right" to me! Maybe I'm too old fashioned, or simply despise dirty fingernails!!! I do like dark (not black) polish on the toes...like OPI's Lincoln Park after Dark...very fun & trendy!

Black nail polish always comes out looking either ghoulish and/or affected in a "sullen Goth kid" kind of way (think Winona Ryder 20 years ago at the beginning of "Beetlejuice") -- avoid this look at all costs.

As for this Chanel shade, I dunno -- how black does it look when dried?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th March 2008 at 01:16 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

i don't like Black... but i like the new Chanel Blue Satin hahaha. it's dark, without being all out BLACK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just got OPI Midnight in Moscow, a great almost-black with a reddish shimmer that shows only in bright light. Love it!

I used OPI Onyx for about three weeks, then I quit. I got the "omg, you're a goth" reaction one too many times.