Code of Conduct

Default which cartier is the best to try

any suggestions on which one truly has a place in anyones heart. I want to try santos, but all i read up is that it's not the original formula. How much worse can the the new formula be. Declaration sounds good also, but not a lot of talk about this brand at all, so i was wondering if it would be the choice to go. Otherwise i'm just going to have to test out Antaus...

my next choice of fragrance is Santos, Antaus, or body kouros.... any suggestions on the winner up? thanks, JOE

Default Re: which cartier is the best to try

I love the harsh opening of Santos, and then a little after that as it warms up, but I find it loses a lot of its character in the drydown. Because of this I cannot fully recommend it though.
    Body Kouros is a pretty good scent. I smelled it on someone else last time, and it did a good job of having monster sillage distance wise but not being too heavy. This scent isn't amazing or anything but it's certainly good.
    Antaeus is the best of the three you are considering, hands down. The opening is really odd, as it almost smells like a feminine scent, but it quickly settles down into a beautiful masculine scent. I find this one to be quite difficult to describe, but you should defintaely try it.

To answer your first question, I think Santos and Pasha are both lovely scents. Santos is a bit hairy chested 80s warrior, I can't tell if the formula has been changed. Pasha is a minty version of Safari - not rated that highly here, but 've got a lot of compliments from it.

The alternatives you are thinking about, Body Kouros and Antaeus, are both pretty good too. Body Kouros is younger and sexier, Antaeus very unique and a bit formal.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Santos Concentrée is (new version) is much better than the new regular Santos.

Definitely Santos (original, not the sport version). I haven't tried the concentree though.
    Pasha would be next but not very close.
    Antaeus is incomparable. Of the ones you mentioned, if you must choose one, make it Antaeus. It's my number one/two--a tie with Egoiste.
    RM

Must de Cartier is my personal favorite. For some reason (its probably the anise), this one always makes me think of Christmas when i smell it. Looking at the notes one would think its heavy, but just the opposite is true. Its a warm, easy to wear, "lite" oriental with a buttery sandalwood dry down.

I want to second the recommendation for Must de Cartier, as well as its Essence version. The cinnamon of Must is its defining note for me, and the addition of mint of the Essence really is a nice touch, although they are not that different (try them both and pick one.) If I recall, there was a formal poll on this board picking the favorite Cartier - can't remember which one won, but it was a two horse race (Must and another - Declaration?).

Santos (original) was the quintessential great macho frag; very confident, hairy-chested, tough stuff. Love it (can't wear it myself, unfortunately...)

Declaration is totally awesome cool and wamr combo with lots of cardamom at top and fit for all seasons.

Pasha I didn't like as much. I think it's the only miss in Cartier's stable. Maybe that's just me though.

Antaeus is also very manly and lovely and on a par with Egoiste. Good choices both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy
    Santos Concentrée is (new version) is much better than the new regular Santos.
    I agree. I recently got Santos Eau de Sport in a swap and that it pretty good and outstanding duration for something with the word "sport" in it. Very nice sandalwood drydown.

Pasha is a pretty good all-around frag, but it doesn't work magic on my skin. Lots of siliage (I tested it on my wife.) It smells amazing on paper.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I love Must.
    I hate declaration.

Santos Concentree is my favorite--green, spicy woody, potent, very masculine.
    Pasha is excellent--a light citrus / herbal mint slightly dominant, with a smokey transparency and a sandalwood base
    I don't care for Declaration, but I find Declaration Essence both edgy and elegant with its well done prominent bitter orange note
    Must doesn't do much on my skin--rather neutral.

Antaeus is classic--if you like the strong, masculine classics, you can't go wrong with it.

Body Kouros is nice--sweet, gourmand-- but not at all like the Cartiers or Chanels.

You must try Must. I normally aviod orientals because they are so gosh darn sweet on me. But Must keeps it classy, comfy, and in control at all times.

Never smelled Santos, but I tend to like it's type and people seem to like it, so it can't be a bad bet.

Not a fan of Declaration.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I like Declaration Essence despite my usual dislike for cardamon. It has a lovely orange and cumin accord at the top and into the middle and has some excellent silage and duration. Just a light application though as it could be a bit too much if used heavilly.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Must smells of money, literally and figuratively! Very, very rich scent on both accounts.
    Last edited by stuigi; 2nd October 2006 at 11:12 PM.

i'm a fan of must de -- its a warm, sweetish anise frag that wears incredible for cool nights out.

For the very hot days , you might want to give Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe a try!.