Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quasi-review on 4 CB I hate perfume fragrances

A couple weeks back, I ordered 4 CB I Hate Perfum fragrances. I just checked my inbox and a fellow basenoter asked me for my take on the 4 CB fragrances. I replied and decided to also post that reply here for you all to enjoy. Well, enjoy : ) (Oh yeah, the four fragrancesI bought were Black March, Burning Leaves, Gathering Apples, and CB Musk)

Have you ever crawled through a thick garden, snapping branches and ripping leaves, after it rains? That's what Black March smells like. It's very, very earthy and green with a prominant CB Rain note. Not fresh green but not an old green either.. just a broken stems/leaves type green. Do you know what I saying? I don't see myself actually wearing this fragrance - it's more of something I'd keep around during the winter to remind me what raw plantlife smells like.

Burning leaves.. Mmm now this one is much more wearable. It actually does smell like burning leaves but only the smoothest, warmest leaves in the world - there's none of that acrid smoky note that some leaves produce when burned. There's a carmelized sweetness in the background, as well as a hint of fruits/apples. I really like this one.

Take a barrel full of fresh Macintosh apples, cut them all up into wedges, and take a deep whiff - that's what Gathering Apples is all about. This stuff smells very, very authentic and real, albeit it's only made up on one note: apples. But what a great apple it is! Richly red, crunches in your mouth, dripping juices, and deeply satisfying.

I was showing my roommate my new fragrances. I put Gathering Apples on her left hand, she smelled it and immediately went "Mmmmmm, smells so yummy!" On her right hand, I put on a little Burning Leaves and she gave a similar response. I then told her to place both hands together and take a deep whiff, her respond was "MMMMMMMM! OMG these smells SOOO good together!" Haha.. very funny response from her but it was exactly how I felt after I smelled the two together. Burning Leaves and Gathering Apples are both nice. But that's it. I don't think I'd wear either on it's own just ... because. However, wear them together and they are absolutely SPECTACULAR. It's like Fall in a bottle - or in this case, Fall in two bottles. If you're going to try a couple of CB's fragrances, I suggest these two. Essentially, buying these two is like buying 3, you can wear each on their own or combine the two to get something completely amazing.

Now, onto CB Musk. Ahhhh, don't know if you've been keeping up with the popular scent blogs (Perfume Smellin Things, Perfume Posse, Etc.) but there have been many claims that CBMusk is the muskiest of the musk and the skankiest of the skank - even moreso than Muscs Koublai Khan. More musky AND skanky than MKK? I HAD to find out for myself. When I first received my package of samples, I quickly tested them in the order of my descriptions (Black March, Burning Leaves, Gathering Apples) - I wanted to save CB Musk for last. It was funny because even after testing the other three, I held off from testing CBMusk for the longest time - maybe 30 minutes haha Anyways, I finally built up the courage to test it --- and so I put some on. And died.

No, I'm just kidding. Is this scent musky? Hell yeah. Is it skanky? To a certain degree. Is it dirty? Kind of. Sexual? In a way, I suppose. The best word to describe this fragrane is... primal. Or maybe animalic. For some reason, whenever I'm wearing this (either alone or layered with something else), the image of a horse's hind leg pops into my mind. I don't know why but that's what I get - not that it smells like a horse. It's a powerful scent. It's engaging. It's ... so... I don't even know.. PRIMAL! Musk, musk, musk, musk. It's full of it. Okay, the best way to describe it is if you take a horse, clean it up, completely, clean it so it doesn't smell like a horse, and then make it go into heat (is there a way to do that? probably not but this is all hypothetical anyways), make it go so deeply into heat that it oozes pheremones and musk, collect that smell and bottle it. There you go. CB Musk.

I love the stuff. It's so primal. Makes me feel like a... gorilla or something - perhaps a really horny gorilla. That or the horse from above. The only gripe I have about this musk is that there's this strange menthol/camphorous note in it. It doesn't SMELL like menthol. You don't smell mint or anything but do you know that cool feeling that menthol gives your nose? CB Musk has that same quality. O don't know why it's there but if it was cut out, this would be THE ultimate musk scent ever! In fact, even with that mentholic quality, it still is THE musk of musks.

I know that when you look on the site, the samples look expensive. I mean, hell, they are expensive. $15 for 2ml of CB Musk? WTF! ... The thing is.. these are absolutes. They're oils. They're thick, they're concentrated. In other words, they last a long, long time. I've worn CB Musk around 4 times already and I can't even SEE a difference in volume in my little vial. If it was any other EDT fragrance, I doubt a vial would give you 3 wearings before it was empty. Considering some companies chare $3 - $6 for a sample vial that lasts only 3 or 4 wearings, I'd say $15 for a 2ml vial that will last AT LEAST 30 wearings is a STEAL. Heck, it'll probably push out 40 or 50 wearings. I'm not even kidding. CB Musk is some POWERFUL stuff that makes a presence even with a DAB.

Anyways, that's my take on the 4 CB fragrances I tried out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quasi-review on 4 CB I hate perfume fragrances

Great reviews! I am lusting after the CB Musk. Do you get a berry note in it? I have read that it has some kind of a fruit note that might be blackberry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Great reviews! I am lusting after the CB Musk. Do you get a berry note in it? I have read that it has some kind of a fruit note that might be blackberry.
    I'm actually on Perfume Smellin' Things right now, rereading that post about the blackberry note and I can't seem to find it! Not explicity, at least. There is the slightest trace of a sweet/fruit/berry note (don't know which because it's so faint) in it but I can't pick it out - kind of hidden behind all the layers of, well, musk. Yup, it's full of thick, thick musk.

I just put some on. I feel like a musk monster! Rawr

That was a great read, many thanks! The samples are pricey yes, but I think I should still get a few of them next month. I've only tried CB Narcissus so far.

Post Thanks / Like

i was the person who wrote about the blackberry note. It wasn't that it smelled precisely like berries, that's just what came to mind. I smells to me like something beyond musk- more than just animal.

It's amazing layered with other things- even other musks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00
    i was the person who wrote about the blackberry note. It wasn't that it smelled precisely like berries, that's just what came to mind. I smells to me like something beyond musk- more than just animal.

It's amazing layered with other things- even other musks
    I layered this with Fendi Uomo and it was insane.

You know, after wearing CB Musk, going back to Kouros seems like the "clean" option.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey myaccolades, great post! I'd been wondering about CB IHP since I saw your original post. Thanks for the PM and the excellent info.

This is the best review I have ever read! Thanks!

I hate that Mr. CB I Hate Perfume has now cloaked his samples as a bona fide quantities of perfume (i. e. not samples) that he charges a fortune for. This makes sampling some of these things an exercise in . And he charges seven dollars (???!!!!) for shipping a single small vial? To me, 2 ml is not a hell of a lot larger than 1.5 ml or whatever size a traditional sample is. This ended any interest I had in trying this line, and I regret not ordering the samples when they were available. I also find it suspicious that this sudden (slight) increase in size and occurred at around the time these products were being discussed on the blogs and forums. I can see him sitting around his studio thinking, Gee, some woman wrote about me over on I SMELL GREAT, YOU REEK and then, holy cow, some dude comes along and writes about me, and I've been getting lots of sample orders, so I'll just do away with those samples and give them a little bit more for twice as much money. Am I smart or what? Self-congratulatory pat on back on way to bank.

Mind you, I could order six of his 2 mls for my sampling pleasure instead of getting some a full SL or some other hundred-dollar bottle, but I'd rather keep my sampling sprees less than the cost of a bottle of something I know I like. Unless I want to purchase forty samples of other things.

He is far too clever with this conceit, for my blood anyway. I hate him. He hates perfume. We can hate each other at a distance. I loved your review. That was not a quasi-review, dude. It was the real damn deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    That was a great read, many thanks! The samples are pricey yes, but I think I should still get a few of them next month. I've only tried CB Narcissus so far.
    Hey shifts,

how is narcissus?

Great reviews! Thanks very much!

I would recommend to try out Wet Pavement London (available in the gallery only).