Code of Conduct

Question Question for those that believe Green Irish Tweed = Cool Water

We've seen compelling arguements for both sides of the debate as to whether they are the same exact fragrance. Personally, I believe GIT is much better and obviously different.

My question is to those that believe that they are the same exact fragrance...

Theoretically speaking, would you trade some one your bottle of GIT for an equally-sized Cool Water? Do you believe they are the same to that extent? I've seen a few quite militant posts claiming that they are are the exact same scent. I'll be surprised if any GIT owners would support their claim to that extent.

In the mean time, I'll be ordering a (another*) bottle of GIT to make a respectable upgrade to my collection.

* Got a fake the first time I ordered! Ooops, lesson learned!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 2nd October 2006 at 01:36 AM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Thrax

Default Re: Question for those that believe Green Irish Tweed = Cool Water

No one is going to be silly enough to trade a $100 bottle for a $50 bottle, even if they do smell the same.

I'm not asking if they SMELL the same, I'm asking If anyone actually thinks they literally ARE the same. Keep in mind this is all theoretical.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 2nd October 2006 at 01:35 AM.
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

In my opinion they share some notes and have a certain similitude, kind of evident during the top notes. Other than that, heart and base notes are another story. I think GIT is far superior overall.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I recently tested Cool Water and to tell you the truth i wasn't really impressed by it. Does this mean that I will not like Green Irish Tweed?
    MikeD on Chaz by Revlon: "I knew a lady who took one sniff and said "bug spray." I never told the guy what she said, but the termites disappeared, oddly enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Smoth_007
    I recently tested Cool Water and to tell you the truth i wasn't really impressed by it. Does this mean that I will not like Green Irish Tweed?
    Maybe, maybe not. Tell you the truth, I wasn't into Cool Water either when I tried GIT. And I wasn't into GIT when I first sniffed it. But I grew to love GIT and in turn respect Cool Water (though my fondness for CW has more to do with nostalgia.)

If you were totally put off by Cool Water, Chances are you won't like GIT, but if you liked CW in the slightest, give GIT a try for sure! I see GIT like a richer, deeper, more resolute version of the same theme. Cool Water seems 2-Dimensional, whereas GIT is 3 - Dimensional (Which makes absolutely no sense, but hopefully a point.)

The reason why I don't like Cool Water is because it smells very fake and synthetic.

Green Irish Tweed, though I doubt is PURELY natural, has a more natural vibe to it.

Also, no I don't think anyone would trade considering the price difference. I think someone who thinks they're the same might BUY cool water for the cheaper price but I doubt they'd every buy a 100-200$ bottle and give it up for a bottle that can be had for 25$. Besides, if they think it's exactly the same thing, what's the point in the trade?

If I bought a bottle of GIT for $25 on ebay, then I would certainly trade it for a bottle of Cool Water of the equal value. Many say that CW is synthetic, one-dimensional, harsh, etc. However, I've received way more compliments wearing CW than I have when wearing GIT. Of course, everybody is different. But CW on me has better longevity and produces more sillage than GIT without a doubt. And yes, I own both.

EDIT: Double post

They don't smell the same, not even initially. So no.

EDIT: They do on paper, just not on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    I'm not asking if they SMELL the same, I'm asking If anyone actually thinks they literally ARE the same. Keep in mind this is all theoretical.
    Is this your idea of the Socratic method?

They are definately not the same! Unless you bought yourself a fake GIT. Coolwater has a synthetic drydown compared to GIT - which is smooth and natural with a dry tea-like tone.

Overall they are in the same category, if you don't like fresh green scent then you will not like either. However, if you like Coolwater, theres a good chance you will like GIT. If you tried GIT first, you may be turned off by Coolwater. If you are new to fragrance, both will smell exactly the same to you.

This is a debate thats been discussed for many years here at Basenotes. Its like MI and Unforgivable - they are not exactly the same but shared similar characteristics. It really depends on the 'dynamic range' of your nose to sense their differences.