Code of Conduct

Default Clive Christian X

All,

After reading the hatred for Clive Christian for a multitude of reasons (most of which I find hilarious), I was in no rush to try the scents. I was at Neiman's today where I was accosted by the CC rep and virtually held prisoner. In the end, I definitely took a liking to X, especially since it was rainy here in So Cal; it was a good day to try it. I'm the worst scent describer on the planet, so I won't even make an attempt.

I'm not one to gripe about a scent when it comes to bottle shapes, marketing tactics, etc when it comes to appreciation. With that said, why is there so much animosity towards this scent? It doesn't smell like hot dog water or bad breath, like most would want you to think. I could care less if CC bought out another company, that doesn't mean the scent is less beautiful. Indeed, the price does seem ridiculous, but I'm not sure any of the above reasons to not fully appreciate the SCENT.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Default Re: Clive Christian X

Clive Christian X:

Price of fragrance: $3000

Cost of bottle: $2850

Cost of actual juice: $150
    -

If you were given a FREE bottle of this, would you reject it? If price were not a factor, if at a test stand in the middle of the mall, would you hate it? Let's not kid ourselves. Especially coming from you, its not like Creed can be found at CostCo. I can get the 1.7 oz version at the Perfume House in Portland for $200 something, not too different from Creed, SL, or Malle.

My point being: cost aside, bottles aside, marketing aside, whatever factor you want to throw in,...X is not as bad as most BNers make it to be.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 2nd October 2006 at 03:30 AM.

No one said it was bad. Its just not worth the milloin or so dollars they charge for it. Are you offering me a free bottle of this? Even a decant would work (throw in one of those jewels from the bottle cap too...looks snazzy!)
    -

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    I can get the 1.7 oz version at the Perfume House in Portland for $200 something, not too different from Creed, SL, or Malle.

TNMA
    I wasnt aware of that. $200 sounds reasonable enough.
    -

Ah yes, CC does have the ridiculous versions of the fragrances, handmade bottles this and that, I'm just talking the regular 1.7 oz bottle. The guy at Neiman's was pimping it for a $320; other's sell it for less.

I like the scent but cannot justify the price tag to make the purchase. Sometimes I dream that I'm at the duty free and it's a real bargain and I buy two bottles.

Maybe Santa will bring me a bottle of the edp for Xmas?

I think X has the best cedar dry down of any fragrance i have tried thus far.

But, even though it smells "expensive" and is made with top quality ingredients, i still think its over priced.

it's cheap compared to patou pour homme

X was the only one that I liked out of the Clive Christian line. From what I remember, it was clovey with cinnamon undertones. Also, X lasted more than an hour, which is more than I can say about 1872.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just that it isn't original enough for that price-tag.
    As I've stated before, it must be one of the fragrances that develops the most;
    starts out sweet like G.F.T.'s Sandalwood Cologne, and dries down to an OJ Isfarkand/Cartier Declaration base...But the fact that it is too similar to those fragrances, makes it not worth a buy, IMO, and this is the pure perfume-version I am talking about (which I guess is quite more expensive than $200)

I completely agree. I really like X a lot. It's a very nice scent but it is not very original. For example some of the CdG Incense frags are equally good if not better for a fraction of the price.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"