Code of Conduct

Default Searching for Leathers

All,

For some reason, I can't find any threads recommending Leather based scents so I must start one myself. I really have tried only two to my knowledge: Daim Blond (yum!) and Lonestar Memories (yuck!). The other leather I am aware of is REL, yet to try and not sure if its worth trying. Are there any others out there?

References to previous threads would be just as valuable.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Default Re: Searching for Leathers

I didnt like Daim Blond at all. Cloyingly sweet, poor longevity, and I could hardly smell any leather in it.

Recently, Cuir D'Arabie by Montale has been getting good reviews from basenoters (I have yet to try it) - it seems to have that new car smell.
    -

Here are some leather fragrances worthy of sampling IMO.

1. Knize Ten (Citrus, leather, and tobacco)
    2. Etro Gomma (almost a clone of Knize Ten though it has subtle differences)
    3. Cuiron Pour Homme (Plum and leather/suede)
    4. Caron Tabac Blond (Floral leather)
    5. Dzing! (Leather, sawdust, and vanilla)
    6. SMN Nostalgia (motor oil that evolves to leather car interior)

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog

Excellent list!

I second the lot and would add:
    Robert Piguet Bandit (leather, tobacco, civet)
    Balmain Jolie Madame (leather and violets)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Great recommendations! I will have to try most of them. I dont smell any leather in Dzing!..I do love that cardboard smell in it though. And is knize ten similar to Cuir De Russie ?
    -

Where the heck does one get knize ten though?

TNMA

Knize Ten
    Yatagan
    Cuir Mauresque
    Patchouli 24
    Last edited by pluran; 1st October 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher

TNMA
    any one of several online stores

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    any one of several online stores

I'm looking to no avail...they all say out of stock! Please PM if you have suggestions.

TNMA

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I didnt like Daim Blond at all. Cloyingly sweet, poor longevity, and I could hardly smell any leather in it.

Recently, Cuir D'Arabie by Montale has been getting good reviews from basenoters (I have yet to try it) - it seems to have that new car smell.
    Yes, Montale's CdA is hardcore leather. A wee bit of fruit as a topnote, but that quickly disappears.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Cuiron and Knize Ten are fantastic, but my favorite by far is REL.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I will be the first to suggest Bel Ami. It's on the spicy/heavy side, so if you want something that's more subtle, maybe it wouldn't work so well. Try it first.

Dzing! is good. Take the overall feeling of Bulgari Black and place leather and caramelized sugar in the base instead of vanilla, if you can picture that. A bit sweet for me, but i'm really sensitive to sweetness, so it may work for you.

Dior Homme is supposed to have some leather in it, but i don't really smell much of it. It's really good though.

I reeeaaallly want to suggest Lonestar Memories, but you don't like it. Alas!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I do not know how you started your search for leather, thenmarcher. Because it does result in 20 pages of threads mentioning it.

This page has several colored bars (green, in my setup) with options, two of these are for searches. If you choose the top one (right under 'basenotes') you'll have to search (leather) in 'community'. I you choose 'search' from the top bar of the 'male fragrance discussion' (here) you already are in 'search forums' (which seems to mean the same thing). Enter 'leather' and you will get those pages! Page 10 will show a thread called 'Milambers Notebook', a good one to start your journey from the past into now...
    Again, look for the early entries in Milambers Notebook. The way I am set up this is on page 11. http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=leather

Someone recently said good bye to all his leather scents after sampling Montales Cuir D'Arabie. I wouldn't go quite as far, but it also shattered my own preferences, and seems to be made for those men who dislike sweeter leathers, like Lonestar. Tigrushka is a lady, otherwise I wouldn't understand her mentioning Santa Maria Novella, but omitting Peau D'Espagne with its strong medicinal start (a reference to a specific older way of leather treatment and scenting in Spain).

edit: oops, I apologize, tigrushka! You only cited the enumeration of best leather scents. And while I am at it, just remembering Giraffe on Sept 30th: "If it slapped you in your face, kicked your ass and stole your lunch money, it was Cuir d Arabie. Otherwise it was the other one."
    Never mentioned as a leather, but a good, in the sense of ladies' handbag: Hermes Amazone, a forgotten gem.
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd October 2006 at 10:09 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

"not sure if its worth trying"

On its face, this is one of the most unfathomable statements I have ever seen on this board. Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    I will be the first to suggest Bel Ami. It's on the spicy/heavy side, so if you want something that's more subtle, maybe it wouldn't work so well. Try it first.
    I second Bel Ami! It has also a gorgeous vetiver note. Dreamy stuff.

also see my thread of today about profumo.it on Cuoio Tartaro (possibly similar to Cuir d'Arabie ?)

TNMA
    They have it here:

http://www.perfumebay.com/men-s-k-kn...e-for-men.html

Knize Ten, Daim Blond and Creed Cuir de Russie! But defintely Knize Ten.

I recently reviewed Oud Cuir d'Arabie for Columbina's blog and as mentioned earlier...it's the purest leather I have ever smelled in a fragrance. To me, it opens with a wonderful black tea accord but that is almost instantly gone, to be replaced by the most clean leather smell. This smells like a leather coat or the inside of a new car (with leather seats). There aren't any other notes mixed in...no spices, no fruit, no musk...just leather. This, in my book, is a must try!

I know Vijay has samples...

www.suravionline.com

I love NOSTALGIA (but not exactly leather)

Sixcats' thread is informative: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ockout+leather

To Teflondog's wonderful list:

I would add Cuir Mauresque (leather, myrrh, nutmeg, cinnamon) and Richard James (suede and rose). I'll third or fourth Cuir d'Arabie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    "not sure if its worth trying"

On its face, this is one of the most unfathomable statements I have ever seen on this board. Please explain.
    Haha, since I own 4 other creeds, not sure if I really wanted another one. I imagine REL still has the creed drydown, which I'm not sure if it would match up very well with leather.

Furthermore, REL has only garned two recommendations, including yours...

TNMA

Quote Originally Posted by narcus

This page has several colored bars (green, in my setup) with options, two of these are for searches. If you choose the top one (right under 'basenotes') you'll have to search (leather) in 'community'. I you choose 'search' from the top bar of the 'male fragrance discussion' (here) you already are in 'search forums' (which seems to mean the same thing). Enter 'leather' and you will get those pages! Page 10 will show a thread called 'Milambers Notebook', a good one to start your journey from the past into now...
    Again, look for the early entries in Milambers Notebook. The way I am set up this is on page 11. http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=leather

Thanks Narcus; I finally figured it out!

TNMA

Haha, since I own 4 other creeds, not sure if I really wanted another one. I imagine REL still has the creed drydown, which I'm not sure if it would match up very well with leather.

TNMA
    I'm sure the small number of recommendations had something to do with you writing: "The other leather I am aware of is REL, yet to try and not sure if its worth trying. Are there any others out there?"

You specifically weren't looking for a recommendation of REL, and got few of them. I also suspect relatively few people have tried REL, which might keep them from recommending it but shouldn't lead you to rule out trying it.

In my opinion, the only thing REL has in common with the four recent Creeds you own is the name on the bottle. I really think it is unwise to think it is not "worth trying" this one based on what you "imagine."

I'd suggest you read the reviews in the directory and then decide if this is one you might want to try.

TNMA
    Another recommendation for the classic REL here. If you want a slightly sweet buttery leather, REL it is - Daim Blond cant compete.
    -

Buttery leather? Does it come with toast?! Not too worry, I'll give REL a try the next time I drop into Neiman's. That is, if I don't get accosted by the Clive Christian folks again.

TNMA

Buttery leather? Does it come with toast?! Not too worry, I'll give REL a try the next time I drop into Neiman's. That is, if I don't get accosted by the Clive Christian folks again.

TNMA
    If you like fruity leathers, then Daim Blond is the way to go - although I cant smell much leather in it.
    -

If you like fruity leathers, then Daim Blond is the way to go - although I cant smell much leather in it.
    If you can smell even the slightest hint of leather, then I envy you. All I get from Daim Blond is fruit and heliotrope.

If you can smell even the slightest hint of leather, then I envy you. All I get from Daim Blond is fruit and heliotrope.
    I was being quite generous there - I could only smell a faint note when I wore it with the a/c turned all the way down. In moderate to hot temperatures, its all apricot and other fruits. I wouldnt classify it as a leather fragrance.
    -

I was being quite generous there - I could only smell a faint note when I wore it with the a/c turned all the way down. In moderate to hot temperatures, its all apricot and other fruits. I wouldnt classify it as a leather fragrance.
    I'm really surprised here, all I smell in Daim Blonde is suede. The fruit (apricot?) is a quickly fading topnote and the rest is leather. Unfornately, the gf vetoed it so I'm back to square one and hence, the reason for my thread.

TNMA

Why So Serious?

Yes, Daim Blond smells more like suede than leather. If you really like fruit and leather then here are the two i think you must try:

Cuiron pour homme - plum and leather
    DK Fuel - Pineapple and leather

I know the latter is impossible to find so i might be not much of a help at all. Also the DK Fuel minis going around i found to have less of a pineapple burst. The juice from the original bottle has a much stronger pineapple burst and still retains it throughout the day. If you want to test this, someone actually has a bottle of this on the swapboard right now, i'm sure he'll sell you a decant.
    Also forgot to mention that if you can find some DK Unleaded, try this one as well, it's more lemony plus leather.
    Last edited by HackerX; 5th October 2006 at 06:38 AM.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese