Code of Conduct

Default Vile Cedar? - What's that ugly lingering note?

I've discussed before that certain colognes start to "break down" and get really ugly after a few hours (http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=186710) - as if they had a basenote of having forgotten to take out the garbage for three weeks.

The prior theories had been along the lines of cheap synthetics, or stale liquid, but could the culprit actually be .... the vilanous Cedar?

As everyone knows cedar is an evil and dangerous wood. It causes brain damage if slammed against the cranium, as well as causing splinters in innocent young children and blocking out the sun without which all life on earth would cease to exist.

But seriously, I've noticed this garbage basenote (which invisible at first and only comes out as the other notes disappear) in Opium PH very, very strong after an hour or two, in Xeryus Rouge a bit less so, and in Cool Water Deep less still, but still present after a longer pleasant period. It's very hard to wash off incidentally and it hangs around for a long time.

These three are quite different experiences in terms of scent, though they all have a sharpness to them. The *only* note they all have in common, is Cedar. Opium which reeks the worst of it and the soonest, has cedar in both middle and base notes.

XERYUS ROUGE
    Top Notes
    Kumquat, Cactus Flesh, Tarragon.,

Middle Notes
    Cedar Leaf, Red Pepper, African Geranium.,

Base Notes
    Sandalwood, Cedar,

OPIUM
    Top Notes
    Star Aniseed, Blackcurrant.,

Middle Notes
    Chinese Galanga, Szechwan Pepper.,

Base Notes
    Fresh Bourbon Vanilla, Tolu Balm, Atlas Cedar.,

DEEP
    Top note:
    Kiwi, Mandarin Orange, Cactus Sap

Middle note:
    Elemi, Sclary Sage, Cedar Needles

Base note:
    Gaiac Wood, Hinoki Wood, White Musks, cistus/Rock-rose

Nothing else in my wardrobe does this, and nothing else has cedar.

Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone have experience with this foul flora?
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 3rd October 2006 at 05:27 PM.

Default Re: What's that ugly lingering note?

The only thing I can say is that they surely have other notes in common....It is that among the notes "officialy" written on the back labels of testers, and the "official" frag description, there are other hundreds of ingredients that are not mentioned...
    I find for example that BelAmi, Aramis and Antaeus are very similar to its nature....but sometimes it is the blend that creates a hole new "similar thing" to it...and not one particular note....

I am not sure though, which element or combination of notes can resermble rotting garbage.

cheers

Too much cedar definately turns me off, although I like some. If Visit makes you sick from the git-go, then cedar may be your culprit.

I think that given how many scents there are that have cedar, it is a bit hard to pin it as a culprit. Many scents that have cedar don't get nasty in the drydown. However, I have heard that every type of cedar is different so it's possible that a certain type of cedar is the culprit. Opium has Atlas Cedar in it. Maybe check and see if the other ones that go bad have specifically Atlas Cedar?
    It is also worth noting that Deep supposedly has cedar needles, not cedar itself. For a number of reasons, I think that this problem is much more complicated than just one note that is causing problems.

Atlas Cedar smells like aged smegma. Virginia cedar smells like woods.

Our downstairs storage room is lined with Cedar. It is quite an unpleasant place to be in for any length of time!

Quote Originally Posted by deepthought
    Our downstairs storage room is lined with Cedar. It is quite an unpleasant place to be in for any length of time!
    You wouldn't perhaps be related to "The Tick's" sidekick? You know, the little guy in the moth suit?

Back to the question at hand, have you tried any Gucci Homme and have had a similar effect? If so, then it may, in fact, be your skin reacting with the cedar.
    Last edited by zeram1; 3rd October 2006 at 03:16 AM.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I think that given how many scents there are that have cedar, it is a bit hard to pin it as a culprit. Many scents that have cedar don't get nasty in the drydown. However, I have heard that every type of cedar is different so it's possible that a certain type of cedar is the culprit. Opium has Atlas Cedar in it. Maybe check and see if the other ones that go bad have specifically Atlas Cedar?

It is also worth noting that Deep supposedly has cedar needles, not cedar itself. For a number of reasons, I think that this problem is much more complicated than just one note that is causing problems.

Yes, the Deep has cedar needles rather than wood. THe Deep incidentally has the least problem with the bad "aftertaste". Actually, aftertaste is a good word, because it leaves a weird film in my mouth. Maybe I'm allergic or something. I suspect Opium may have another ingredient that irritates me becaause it also gives me a bit of a sore throat if I use too much. Actually Zino also gives me that too, but it smells wonderful with no ugly aftertaste.

THe Xeryus has "cedar leaves".

If it's not just the cedar, what do you think it might be? I'm curious as I'd like to avoid it!

Thrax

I love all three of those that you listed. I do love a good cedar! Hey, got wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    I love all three of those that you listed. I do love a good cedar! Hey, got wood?
    Yeah I love those three too - that's the problem! With Opium I have to wash my neck after an hour! Xeryus maybe two hours. Deep usually doesn't get ugly until late enough in the day that it doesn't matter. Maybe it's just gross to me - I should ask someone to smell me when I start smelling just the gross notes. It might be an olfactory adjustment thing when I stopped smelling the rest.

But speaking of got wood - when the jazz musician art pepper met his later to be wife, it was love at first sight for him. He went straight up to her and said "Hey, I got wood for you baby!" When she made a face and stored off he didn't understand why!