Code of Conduct

Question Buy Cologne for you or others tastes?

I love a lot of the unusual scents, Gucci Pour Homme is very aquired, however I will be buying lots of it and don't care (it sort of puts you in that fram of mind I found anyway - a scent for Directors who can fire anyone who opposes!)
    However i find many people, including myself once time ago, buy fragrances because others like it not because the wearer does. I feel this is why a lot of the new male scents have gone light and girly, because they are aimed at women to solely enjoy and feel attracted to the male.

Dolci and Gabbana is one I used to wear, got compliments all day, but personally didnt care for it. Eternity for men also attracted attention, it made me feel gay if I'm honest.

The new manly leather, woody, smokey fragrnaces put me back in my place, supporting my role as a man in modern society but without any '80's pimpdaddy' about it. Masculine, but strong, someone who knows what they want and will get it

Who wears scents for themselves or for others?

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Buy Cologne for you or others tastes?

I would not wear a fragrance I did not like except to test it out. Admittedly I might test it a few times if there was a strong enough feeling that I just didn't get it yet (eg. the 4 or 5 wearings of Jicky, nope, still not for me). Now there is a great variety of fragrance that I like, so if I know someone has a fondness for a certain one that I like too, I might consider wearing it to please both of us. Mostly though, I wear what I wear for my own personal enjoyment. There are so many fragrances; I really think life is too short to be wearing fragrance that you don't like.

I wear fragrance for myself. Still waiting for those compliments that other members here have reported...in which case, I might wear a fragrance for a sweetie.

I wear them for myselve almost exclusively. I wore a few that I already liked more often for someone else if I knew they appreciated it (mostly girlfriend).

I usually don't recieve compliments so there is no need to wear for others anyway. I wear whatever I want and am satisfied with no one else caring. I enjoy smelling it on myself. That is the real joy.

I find that when I'm really groovin' out to a great scent that other people seem to like it too. So at least for me, the two aspects go naturally hand in hand, but everything starts with me liking the scent.

Dude, if wearing a scent makes you feel gay, you might want to check which way your pecker's pointing. I AM gay, and no scent I wear makes me feel straight...

I'd just like to say we have to be careful with implicit homophobic/sexist/racist assumptions in what we type. And a gay man can certainly be "Masculine, but strong, someone who knows what they want and will get it" (though only of course if who they're getting it from is consenting...)

Post Re: Buy Cologne for you or others tastes?

I wear fragrances exclusively for other people, with no exceptions whatsoever. Personally I hate everything smelly.

me, me, me! occasionally my wife gets veto power, if i'm wearing something she can't stand, but even that is rare. (she doesn't like frags much, so i don't really wear anything *for* her...)

baald

Blog Entries

I, too, won't wear anything I don't personally like. But I do admit that a lot of the time if I'm going out, I take who I will be around into account. I'll wear something I think will be pleasing to that person(s). Granted, most of my frags are pretty mainstream, so I don't really have to worry about it that much.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I only ever wear fragrance for myself. If I wear something that my partner really hates with a vengeance, I will not wear it when they are around.

The only thing that i've been told explicitly not to wear is Gucci PH, and I love it . I wear it anyway, but in very small doses. Bel Ami isn't exactly a hit with females, but I get good responses from male friends with it, and I wear it often.

Whatever, people will get over it. Not that many scents smell downright BAD. People just like some more than others, and if they aren't wholely attracted to a smell, that doesn't mean they hate it. Wear what you want.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldo
    Dude, if wearing a scent makes you feel gay, you might want to check which way your pecker's pointing. I AM gay, and no scent I wear makes me feel straight...

I'd just like to say we have to be careful with implicit homophobic/sexist/racist assumptions in what we type. And a gay man can certainly be "Masculine, but strong, someone who knows what they want and will get it" (though only of course if who they're getting it from is consenting...)
    No offence intended, you gay guys smell better than any of use hetros', period

I'm just jealous

Yeah, my point isnt that I'd wear something just for the other person of course, but I've definately been bought scents because others liked it.

I have to admit buying Le Male because it drove my now fiance crazy, but i never bought another bottle once I 'bagged' her

I just wanted to see who, even if others hated their 'smell' still wore what they liked. I get the feeling Gucci PH wont be anyone elses bag but mine...

I wear stuff because like it. however, if I discovered that people went totally nuts over me wearing "Unforgivable," I would be too weak not too...Who doesn't want to be loved, even for the wrong reasons
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Well, first off, I despise Eternity for Men and I am very, very gay.
    That said, I guess it all depends upon the fragrance.

For example, I don't care for Benetton Colors myself, but wear this inexpensive scent just to garner the million and one compliments I get every I time I wear it. Another example: I used to wear Jean Desprez's Versailles religiously. Well, IT gave me migraines from HELL, but the migraines were well worth it (again, given the compliments I got).

Now, there are other fragrances that I never really get compliments on, but I don't care. For example, I hoard Leonard Pour Homme now that it's been discontinued. I'll wear it 'til I croak simply because it's so wonderful. Same with JHL. Same with Creed's Millesime Imperiale and Green Irish Tweed. Same with a great many fragrances, come to think about it.

Now, here are the fragrances I can always count on garnering compliments with:
    Escada Pour Homme
    Erolfa by Creed
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves St. Laurent
    Paul Sebastian for Men by Paul Sebastian
    Benetton Colors Uomo by Benetton
    Trussardi L'Uomo by Trussardi
    Fendi L'Uomo by Fendi
    Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle
    L'Instant Eau Extreme Pour Homme by Guerlain
    Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld
    Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene
    Perry Ellis for Men by Perry Ellis
    Himalaya by Creed

I'll admit it: my girlfriends opinion matters a lot to me, so if she finds something repulsive, I'm not going to get it. There are scents that I had before we got together, which she doesn't like, and I won't wear these around her. That being said, we have similar tastes, so i don't really have a problem with that.

Other peoples opinions don't concern me.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 4th October 2006 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbyPete
    I have to admit buying Le Male because it drove my now fiance crazy, but i never bought another bottle once I 'bagged' her
    I can completely relate (not the fiance part mind you, but the going bonkers part), as that scent for me was Creed Original Santal. I'm a fan of the scent, however I wasn't initially, but after watching someone continually smell your arm for an hour and remark "Wow," I caved in and bought my bottle the next day. It's served me well, and I don't regret the purchase. I think part of a nice cologne is "playing the game," driving that person who likes it to the "tipping point."

Now if it was a godawful scent that I couldn't stand, well I'd be a little more leery of picking it up, but if it was just an OK scent, then I'd likely give it a try.

Well, my wife is pretty picky about what she likes on me. Most she'll tolerate and only a few that she detests. But when I'm looking to appeal to her lusty side I'll happily reach for one that foots the bill. Cool Water, Armani Code, GIT, even Eau de Merveilles she loves.

As for other non sexual situations where I wouldn't feel comfortable to risk offense you can't go wrong with something like the Gendarmes, Mugler Cologne, or Bulgari PH. There's certainly others I'd brave even in sensitive situations, but those are the most obvious.

I always wear fragrances for myself.
    It's only a bonus if someone like whatever i am wearing, but it's not something i would seek out actively.

I admit that I wear some fragrances solely because they get me compliments and people like them on me; some of these are :

Original Santal
    One Man Show
    Allure
    -

I have my preferences for scents, but ultimately, my gf also has to approve, otherwise, what's the point?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

For me, definitely.

But naturally it's a bonus if hub likes my choice, too. Luckily he almost always does.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."