Code of Conduct

Default i need an advice

Hi guys. I've registered on this site for some while. I can say that this forum made me more aware about scents. Before this i was quite superficial regarding this matter. So i've spent a lot of time reading your posts and learning. And now i've put up a list of frags that i would like to own. Since i can't afford to buy more than one, i'm asking for an advice. This frag should be a long-lasting one with a lot of personality.

This is my list:

1. Givenchy - Gentleman
    2. Givenchy - Pi
    3. Montale's Black Aoud
    4. Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
    5. Escada - Magnetism for Men
    6. CK - Obsession for Men
    7. Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    8. Yves Saint Laurent - Kouros
    9. Yves Saint Laurent - Rive Gauche pour Homme
    10. Chanel - Egoiste / L'Egoiste
    11. Czech & Speake No.88
    12. Guerlain Vetiver
    13. John Varvatos - John Varvatos
    14. Joop! - Joop! Homme
    15. L'Artisan Parfumeur - Tea for Two
    16. Paco Rabanne - Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    17. Romeo Gigli - Sud Est
    18. Christian Dior - Dior Homme
    19. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    20. Creed - Bois D'Argent
    21. Gucci - Gucci pour Homme
    22. Gucci - Envy
    23. Lolita Lempicka - Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    24. Aramis - Havana
    25. Rochas - Rochas Lui
    26. Hermes - Equipage
    27. Hermes - Terre d'Hermes
    28. Shiseido - Basala / Basara
    29. Thierry Mugler - Angel Man/ A*Man
    30. Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    31. Carolina Herrera - Herrera for Men
    32. Geir Ness - Geir
    33. Jean Patou - Patou pour Homme Privé
    34. Jil Sander - Sander for Man
    35. Lanvin - Lanvin L'Homme
    36. Tiffany - Tiffany for Men
    37. Trussardi - Trussardi Uomo
    38. Caron - Yatagan
    39. Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male

PS: if you think that i sould add something else to my list, feel free to express your opinion.

Default Re: i need an advice

Welcome!
    My first piece of advice: trytrytry. In stores or via samples/decants from Basenoters or online stores. If you only have one shot financially - DO NOT BUY BLIND! In fact, considering the size of your list, might it not make more sense to invest in a number of good-sized decants? That way you will have a little collection to start with and the opportunity to experiment, compare and develop your personal preferences.

I, for one, could offer you decants of
    4. Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
    12. Guerlain Vetiver
    17. Romeo Gigli - Sud Est
    22. Gucci - Envy
    24. Aramis - Havana
    30. Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    38. Caron - Yatagan

Send me a private mail, if you're interested

Cheers
    the_good_life
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quite a list!

Test, test, test before you purchase anything. If you can get decants from other members, great; most stores selling fragrances will have samples for you (if they're worth their salt).

That said - long lasting, personality - M7

Welcome!

You have an incredibly long but distinguished list there! You really should try ten or more of those on your list and settle on the one you like most. However, these are my personal favourites from your list:

EXCEPTIONAL

9. Yves Saint Laurent - Rive Gauche pour Homme
    12. Guerlain Vetiver

VERY GOOD

1. Givenchy - Gentleman
    21. Gucci - Gucci pour Homme
    22. Gucci - Envy

Most of these are easily available at department stores, except maybe the Creed. Try them, settle on your favourite. You've clearly researched Basenotes well and none of the frags you've listed are bad. Maybe find the top 5 or 10 in all the responses you get, and pick your favourite out of those. Don't buy on the first day you test - you can test 4-6 per day (back of hand, wrist and elbow), decide over 6 hours, come back the next day and purchase!

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Welcome.

Like everyone said. Test everything out. If you are short on loot then you don't want to go chancing it. Plus you have some that will cost you quite a bit and some that are dirt cheap.

My first two to get would be Tea for Two and Geir. They are both very versatile but some argue that Tea for Two doesn't last. I have never had a problem with it. Geir lasts super long! M7 is another great choice. Go find out what you like the most.

I agree with Envyus, TfT lasts a really long time! A little weird at first, but an awesome scent. Worth trying.
    Beyond that, my two favorites on your list have got to be Geir and Angel Men. Both FULL of personality, very long lasting (especially the A*Men), and VERY liked by others.
    Fumerie Turque is one that I wish I could recommend, but I haven't tried it yet. Within mere days (or if I'm lucky, hours) I should be able to recommend it.

Anyways, I agree, you should get decants of these. Just pick the six or so scents that you're most interested in and get decants. Then you already have a good little collection going! Btw, your list is generally excellent. Lots of Basenotes darlings, but that's ok cuz they're great scents.

Hi 3IV1 and welcome aboard first of all!
    Indeed you've made a huge list for a starter and with many good choices... But for starting I suggest you to avoid maybe the most expensive ones, the most hard to find and the less versatile and the most difficult to appreciate at first. But however to choose a distinctive one, so my suggestions are:

12. Guerlain Vetiver
    22. Gucci - Envy
    23. Lolita Lempicka - Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    25. Rochas - Rochas Lui
    32. Geir Ness - Geir
    35. Lanvin - Lanvin L'Homme

Cutting down more this selection implies a better knowledge of your tastes to focus more on what kind of scent could better suit your style...
    my 2 cents...

Thanks guys for all your help. Just yesterday i went to a parfumerie and i've tested A*Man , YSL - M7 , Christian Dior - Dior Homme, Gucci - Envy, Rochas - Rochas Lui. I can say that i really liked A*Man. So i'll just keep testing until i'll be sure what fits me the best.