Code of Conduct

Default Viktor & Rolf Antidote

What do you guys think about this one?

- Brad

Default Re: Viktor & Rolf Antidote

I recently sampled it and liked it. Is it being marketed to women or is it unisex?

As far I know, it's being marketed to men, although I'm sure V&R would not object to it being classified as unisex.

Talking Re: Viktor & Rolf Antidote

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan
    As far I know, it's being marketed to men, although I'm sure V&R would not object to it being classified as unisex.
    It is marketed as mens and I can't wait! I won a bottle off eBay UK!

Will post more when it arrives, should be Saturday.

http://www.iconique.com/flash/style/antidote.html this is cool!
    Last edited by CoL; 4th October 2006 at 05:57 PM.

Angry Re: Viktor & Rolf Antidote

I think you'll like it. I am insanely selective when it comes to fragrance, especially designer scents which I pretty much hate, but this may the rare one that transcends that level and has the honor of making it into my wardrobe.

Tell you what - I'll be your U.S. supplier for Antidote and in return you can provide me with a steady stream of Pepsi Max. I was just in London this past week and I love that stuff - best diet drink ever! For some reason, we don't get it in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan
    I think you'll like it. I am insanely selective when it comes to fragrance, especially designer scents which I pretty much hate, but this may the rare one that transcends that level and has the honor of making it into my wardrobe.

Tell you what - I'll be your U.S. supplier for Antidote and in return you can provide me with a steady stream of Pepsi Max. I was just in London this past week and I love that stuff - best diet drink ever! For some reason, we don't get it in the U.S.
    Pepsi Max eh? LOL I detest the stuff! LOL

Me thinks the shipping would'nt make it worth it

I've sampled this twice now at Saks when I was passing through and as much as I wanted to like it, so far it is only so-so to me. I do like the top notes very much but wish they held throughout more. It dries down to something quite chaotic and hard to describe. I'm not really a fan of lavendar scents in general and with this one that note seems to stick to the inside of my nostrils and won't let go. I asked friends to give me their opinion after about 20 minutes on my arm and they all seemed to like it, however.

It's my SOTD today and strongly reminded me of some cologne from the distant past. I don't know what it is. Antidote opening is bitter-ish and green and drydown is woody-vanillic. It smells a little old school to me.

Some more info via www.moodiereport.com

10/04/2006
    FRANCE. L’Oréal Produits de Luxe International will present Antidote, the first masculine fragrance from Dutch design duo Viktor & Rolf, at this month’s TFWA World Exhibition in Cannes.The scent will be launched in spring 2007 in European, US and Asian travel retail markets. The recommended domestic price will be €63 for the 75ml.Flowerbomb, Viktor & Rolf’s debut feminine fragrance, was unveiled in October 2004.
    According to the designers, “Antidote is a magic potion that transforms negative into positive and evokes joy, wonder, love and success”. Importantly, it is described as a true couture fragrance: the perfect olfactory expression of the original concept behind Viktor & Rolf’s “Monsieur” clothing line, launched in 2003.
    The fragrance therefore defines a one-of-a-kind style and contemporary look, claims L’Oréal. “A fragrance – especially this one – is a gift and a message,” explained the designers. “It says who we are and what values we uphold.”
    The structure of the Antidote juice is compared by the company to the architecture of a tailor-made suit, richly expressing a new masculine identity, complete with multiple facets.
    The scent – coloured emerald green – opens on a burst of mint, cardamom and citrus notes (compared in fashion terms to a white shirt), leading to a layer of jasmine absolute, French lavender, geranium essence, nutmeg, cinnamon bark extract, freesia, orange blossom and violet (the cashmere sweater).
    The base (the tuxedo) is a blend of amber, patchouli, vanilla, iris, woods, tree moss, leather, white musk and Tonka bean.
    The flacon, designed by Fabien Baron, features bevelled edges and mirror-like reflective facets. The front bears a silvery, medicinal-style plate; the cap is black wax, and designed to evoke a top hat.
    The outer carton is white, berobed in black ribbon and sporting Viktor & Rolf’s signature black seal.
    The advertising campaign was shot by two photographers, Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, under the artistic direction of Fabien Baron.

P.S. It's already widely available in the US ( Saks, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales )

I tried this when it first came out at Saks. It has that "cologney vibe" upon initial spritz that i dislike about so many mens scents. However, it does dry down quite nice. I remeber the day i went to try it i had spritzed on some of the new Betsey Johnson fragrance for women on in Parisian and then i walked over to Saks and spritzed on some Antidote. I then went to get a cup of coffee at a coffee shop in the mall and as i was ordering i kept smelling flowers and fruits. As it turns out, i was smelling the Antidote. I am on the fence about buying this.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    I tried this when it first came out at Saks. It has that "cologney vibe" upon initial spritz that i dislike about so many mens scents. However, it does dry down quite nice. I remeber the day i went to try it i had spritzed on some of the new Betsey Johnson fragrance for women on in Parisian and then i walked over to Saks and spritzed on some Antidote. I then went to get a cup of coffee at a coffee shop in the mall and as i was ordering i kept smelling flowers and fruits. As it turns out, i was smelling the Antidote. I am on the fence about buying this.
    Yes,that initial "cologney vibe" is not the best part of the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by breeze11
    Yes,that initial "cologney vibe" is not the best part of the fragrance.
    Tested this on my hand at the mall today. Top-notes are nothing special, but what a drydown!! Very classy and sophisticated, and it's still going strong almost four hours later. Also tested new Burberry London on the other hand, it's also really nice but i was more impressed by the V&R Antidote. Quality juice!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

A friend who was at the Rufus Wainwright concert in Philly this past Friday evening says she was wondering what the delicious smell was in the front of the auditorium (she was in the fourth row), and then RW announced that it was the new Viktor & Rolf Antidote he was wearing. How's that for sillage (or over-applying!)?

Quote Originally Posted by Minty S
    A friend who was at the Rufus Wainwright concert in Philly this past Friday evening says she was wondering what the delicious smell was in the front of the auditorium (she was in the fourth row), and then RW announced that it was the new Viktor & Rolf Antidote he was wearing. How's that for sillage (or over-applying!)?
    A couple of sprays seems quite enough with this baby. Definetly a front-runner on my list of future purchases!

Edit-I forgot Christmas is just around the corner. hehe-hee!
    Last edited by knightowl; 9th October 2006 at 02:21 AM.

One of my Faves for sure....can't wait for the after shave spray and balm.
    Gary

I want this one badly but it's not out till the end of Februari in my country. I have to find another way to get this cause I can't wait so long!

Yawn....

Why So Serious?

My brother sent me a sample of this. This scent did not wow me at all. In fact, it reminded me strongly of another fragrance, as i was banging my head on the wall trying to remember what it was, it just didnt come to me, but the smell is just so familiar. Aside from that, this one reminds me of lots of other frags such as Narziss, Boss Soul, Egoiste...........and the smell lingers for a really long time i got a headache from it. It smells classic and modern at once, a little fruity, a little ambery sweet, a little woody, a little floral, it could qualify as anything out there, a total mess, yet totally mesmerizing as if looking at a Picasso's abstract painting. I really cannot decide whether or not i like it, but i dont hate it. But because i loved Flowerbomb so much i really had my expectations sky high on this, end result is yet again unsatisfactory. However, compared to many of the recent mainstream releases, it is still quite acceptable. The new Prada Ambre for men is still my favorite release this year though.

3.5/5
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Well it finally came to me what this reminds me of! Its Richard James with a hint of Lolita Lempicka! Very complex and well made mind you.

When I first smelled this it reminded of a fresh version of Burberry Brit. If you look at a list of their notes ther is a lot in common. Something like 7 out of 10 similar ingredients.
    To me A*men is to B*men as Burberry Brit is to Antidote.

Why So Serious?

For some reason, i get quite a bit of Gucci Envy instead, especially the drydown.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    For some reason, i get quite a bit of Gucci Envy instead, especially the drydown.
    Funy things noses arent they! I have to say I don't any GE. Its not a ground breaking scent but well made and very nice. Got loads of compliments in work.

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    Funy things noses arent they! I have to say I don't any GE. Its not a ground breaking scent but well made and very nice. Got loads of compliments in work.
    Yeah sir it really is. Maybe that is the reason why this one is so special, it really plays tricks on the noses, it might smell like something else completely different a few days later, then different again a week later. So far it's releasing more poison than dote. The only compliment i got thus far is from myself, "gosh, i really smell like a mess, but dang, i smell too sexy for myself".
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    Yeah sir it really is. Maybe that is the reason why this one is so special, it really plays tricks on the noses, it might smell like something else completely different a few days later, then different again a week later. So far it's releasing more poison than dote. The only compliment i got thus far is from myself, "gosh, i really smell like a mess, but dang, i smell too sexy for myself".
    LOL!

I've noticed that too! It does seem to reveal different facets on different wearings or even different times of the day!

I grabbed a bottle before the weekend. I had been thinking about it for a few weeks, and Bloomingdale's was doing a big "intro" thing for it with free mini sampler bottles (that look just like the real thing, even with it's own tiny box that mirrors the fullsize one), and I was in there to pick up Varvatos Vintage anyway... so I broke down and bought the 2.5fl of Antidote as well.

General impressions so far:
    I actually like the cologne topnotes to it.. it reminds me a bit of Mugler Cologne, very fresh, very clean. The floral midnotes are quite nice. I was originally worried that it was going to go very powdery, but it doesn't on me, it stays floral (with a hint of fruit). It's also not a "girly" floral, more of a unisex floral, strong notes of neroili (flowery orangey). It's probably my favorite 'phase' of the frag, and I think it projects more in the midnotes than in the topnotes or basenotes. The basenotes for me are a bit of a mystery. I get vanilla, a touch of amber, and a touch of incense. This phase stays *very* close to the skin on me, and I like it, but the drydown seems strangely "weak" in comparison to the rest of the scent.

It's nothing jaw-dropping or completely revolutionary, but I quite like it. It's very well put together, flows from phase to phase nicely, and while I normally am not a big fan of "sweet" scents, this has the right balance of sweet to make it very, very wearable.

This really shouldn't matter but I *love* the packaging. The box is a classic, with the "wax" seal and the imprinted black ribbons... and the flacon is really nice as well. It looks extremely classy.

Anyone here have a bottle for swap?

I recently bought this one blind and I'm happy with it. A good one for the Autumn and Winter. Like people have said it isn't ground breaking but it's well made. It seems to remind everybody of different fragrances so I'm going to throw another name in. The drydown reminds me of Armand Basi Homme (the 2-tone bottle one) all be it less sweeter, more smooth and like Nvrlnd mentioned I pick up a touch of incense.

The finest riff on Le Male to date.
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

I just recently received some samples and was able to try a few squirts from the bottle at my nearbye Nordstroms. My first initial reaction was "WOW" and than about fifteen minutes later I was getting a "smokey" scent with a hint of Vanilla. As time went on about 2 hours later I'm getting a clean soft vanilla drydown with a very so slight hint of incense. I asked a few female co-workers on what they thought about it and there initial reaction was "Smooth I like it". So with all that being said and done I'm still on the fence with this and I still need more time with this "Antidote". If anyone of you try this please don't over apply because it does linger and i can see this giving "yourself and other's" a headache. As someone said from another post "it can stick to the nostrails".

Well, I finally got a sample of this one ( thanks Col.!) and I must say it's a very nice and comforting scent. Will have to wait for it till next years release.
    Something is bothering me though. It stronly reminds me of another scent from the past, but I can't figure it out..., yet. It's not Lanvin L'Homme, not Lolita Lempica, not Richard james and not Lanvin, no Envy. I thought of Nicolai's Baladin for a sec, but now I'm not sure..
    One day I will find out.
    Last edited by eric; 19th October 2006 at 03:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Trying a sample of this tonight. It's very nice scent.

Does anyone else think this is kinda reminiscent of Himalaya? Or is my nose playing tricks on me? I put a little of my Himalaya sample on the back of one hand, and Antidote on the other. I think they have some similarity (especially in the topnotes), except of course for the absence of the Creed house note in the Antidote . They "hit my nose" in the same way, if that makes sense.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Don't know what I was thinking. sampled it again; smells nothing like LeMale
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Well, I finally got a sample of this one ( thanks Col.!) and I must say it's a very nice and comforting scent. Will have to wait for it till next years release.
    Something is bothering me though. It stronly reminds me of another scent from the past, but I can't figure it out..., yet. It's not Lanvin L'Homme, not Lolita Lempica, not Richard james and not Lanvin, no Envy. I thought of Nicolai's Baladin for a sec, but now I'm not sure..
    One day I will find out.
    Darn! I think I've got it! It's "What About Adam"for men, by Joop!
    This is what it reminds me off!!
    Not a bad thing perse , cause I used to like that one too. Must be the citrus, vanilla combo. ( to those who own both, please compare!, cause I don't have W.A.A anymore!). It had a green colored juice too! ( weird, this fragrance was still in my mind).

I have to say, I like Antidote a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Darn! I think I've got it! It's "What About Adam"for men, by Joop!
    This is what it reminds me off!!
    Not a bad thing perse , cause I used to like that one too. Must be the citrus, vanilla combo. ( to those who own both, please compare!, cause I don't have W.A.A anymore!). It had a green colored juice too! ( weird, this fragrance was still in my mind).

I have to say, I like Antidote a lot!!
    Hmmm, I don't get that either!

LOL

I do get the Envy/LeMale vibes. Should've got a sample at Nordstorm but I was in a rush.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976