Code of Conduct

Default Sandalwood epiphany

I just got my 10ml flask of certified original Mysore Sandalwood. I unscrewed the bottle, inhaled deeply, and suddenly it all made sense. It's as if all the sandalwood fragrances I've tried respresented individual aspects (blended with other elements) of something bigger. Regarding "sandalwoodness" they are like the tusk, the foot, the tail of the elephant which made each blind sage exploring them mistakenly believe that he had grasped the nature of the elephant (and consequently disagreeing about it). Well, I've smelled the elephant now and it is fascinating to see how there is in here the refined warm sweetness of Villoresi's Sandalo I so adore, a ruby brilliantly set in a ring of rosewood and balsamic notes, the cool unmediated medicinality of Santal Impérial, the off-putting "food" note I hated about Art of Shaving Sandalwood...
    This has been a quantum leap experience for me, even more so than smelling Vetiver oil. Wow. Love to hear your thoughts on this.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Sandalwood epiphany

IMO the best sandalwood is Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore. Are you talking about that or just "Mysore Sandalwood"? The 100% original Mysore Sandalwood from Primavera is quite expensive, but the real deal.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 16th November 2006 at 02:03 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I'm talking about actual sandalwood. I'm dying to try SL Santal de Mysore, as well as CSP Roi Santal, unfortunately my perfume store didn't have them in stock to try.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

so good_life, with your new-found perspective on the elephant in the room, which commercial frag have you experienced to be the fullest, closest representation of sandalwood?

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    I just got my 10ml flask of certified original Mysore Sandalwood. I unscrewed the bottle, inhaled deeply, and suddenly it all made sense. It's as if all the sandalwood fragrances I've tried respresented individual aspects (blended with other elements) of something bigger. Regarding "sandalwoodness" they are like the tusk, the foot, the tail of the elephant which made each blind sage exploring them mistakenly believe that he had grasped the nature of the elephant (and consequently disagreeing about it). Well, I've smelled the elephant now and it is fascinating to see how there is in here the refined warm sweetness of Villoresi's Sandalo I so adore, a ruby brilliantly set in a ring of rosewood and balsamic notes, the cool unmediated medicinality of Santal Impérial, the off-putting "food" note I hated about Art of Shaving Sandalwood...
    This has been a quantum leap experience for me, even more so than smelling Vetiver oil. Wow. Love to hear your thoughts on this.
    I've also received some Mysore oil recently, and I personally find that, among all the sandalwood EDTs I've tried, the one that smells closest to it is the Floris... yes, the one I just sent you , Floris Sandalwood, not Santal, so I'm very curious of your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    so good_life, with your new-found perspective on the elephant in the room, which commercial frag have you experienced to be the fullest, closest representation of sandalwood?
    I do not know nearly enough of them yet, and it is a tricky question because I find Sandalwood itself to be an impressively complex scent (and obviously my litle sample is by no means THE representative sandalwood - others here have written about their 30 year+ old "VSOP" Mysores, e.g.). Santal Imperial really is quite close, I would say. As is AOS. But I'll have to do some indepth comparing here before making any final pronouncements
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    I do not know nearly enough of them yet, and it is a tricky question because I find Sandalwood itself to be an impressively complex scent (and obviously my litle sample is by no means THE representative sandalwood - others here have written about their 30 year+ old "VSOP" Mysores, e.g.). Santal Imperial really is quite close, I would say. As is AOS. But I'll have to do some indepth comparing here before making any final pronouncements
    I would be interested to read how Creeds' Bois De Santal compares to the real Mysore Sandalwood.
    -