Code of Conduct

Smile Perfume for the Fall Season / Winter

Hello,

Can someone recommend a good perfume for the Fall season and colder weather? I'm looking for something that is not tooo strong and light with some good staying power and smooth on others nose? I've been using Coolwater and Kenneth Cole Black and would like to have few more added for the Fall and also the colder winter season. Thanks.

Default Re: Perfume for the Fall Season / Winter

Do you have an idea of what sort of scents you like: woods, smoke, tobacco, floral - things like that? Also, do you want it to project so that others might be apt to smell it, or do you like something close to the skin? Do you want something that you might find available at a large department store, or would you be willing to search it out, say by paying for samples?

I ask these questions because I could tell you what I like, and you might not be willing to search out my suggestion. If you are wanting department store fare such that you can go there and smell them on a card or wear them for testing, well, Armani Code would work, and so would things like JHL, Devin, Obsession, Escada, and those are just ones I like.

Sam

Hello and welcome to basenotes!

I would suggest answering Finsfan's questions because that will help a lot. I'll throw some out there just for fun anyway.

So, we have:
    M7 from YSL
    John Varvatos from John Varvatos
    Angel men from Thierry Mulger
    Animal Animale from Animale perfumes
    Envy from Gucci
    Lolita Lempicka au masculine from Lolita Lempicka
    Gucci pour Homme from Gucci

many more...

Thanks finsfan and EnvYuS for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    Do you have an idea of what sort of scents you like: woods, smoke, tobacco, floral - things like that?
    Definitely no floral and not sure how tobacco might smell on my skin. Not sure what smoke means but I've tested Gucci Envy and it smells good. Is that woody?

Also, do you want it to project so that others might be apt to smell it, or do you like something close to the skin?
    Well would be nice that if the person could smell the sillage if they are very near to me like adjacent to each other and I don't want my sillage to leave a lasting impact like you walk and people who walk behind you some distance away can get the sillage. That certainly is not my kind.

Do you want something that you might find available at a large department store, or would you be willing to search it out, say by paying for samples?
    I would most probably try and buy online and if needed to smell it out personally can head to a departmental store.

How about spices? There is a number of nice orientals out there.

Gucci Envy is considered a woddy oriental.

You want some kind of sillage. If it smells to you it smells to others. Sometimes low sillage and low longevity coincide. I would get something not too powerful. No EDTs

You should get an idea for what you want to go find in the stores ( i listed all department store frags) and go snniff out the ones that really interest you. Get samples for what you can and try them out more than once. Try them on your skin too. Tester strips for immediate elimination and skin for round two evaluation.

Armani Code, Allure PH, John Varvatos

This winter I'm going with John Varvatos / Trussardi Uomo for the most part, but with Guerlain Heritage for the more casual / fun times.

For me, fall and winter frags require a moodiness, a smokiness, and a sort of ... umm ... the way a sweater smells after you come in from the cold and sit in a dark-wood-panelled room with a fireplace in it.

Last year I went with MPG's Centaure or Helmut Lang's Cuiron for the daytime, and mostly stuck with Tea for Two or New Haarlem for nights.

To be honest, I much prefer the cooler weather in this. I haven't found many frags suitable for warm weather / summertime vibes that I really like. When it comes to the spicy, smoky, woody scents there are just so many that I find aggreable and which also suit me.

Cristobal by Balenciaga is a light oriental, pleasant but not overpowering.
    You might aso try Burberry Brit, which is a great year round fragrance.

Casran by Chopard may also be up your alley - although I personally do not like it, many here think of it as distinctive yet subtle.

I have to mention Cacharel pour Homme, which has a beautiful heart of nutmeg, perfect for fall, so warm and refined.

In the luxury department I would try, if you can find it, Baie de Genievre from Creed and Lutens Ambre Sultan in the Eau Fraiche Parfumee version, as well as Sandalo by Villoresi (my favorite)

If you want to experiment with a little more spicy woodiness, try these head-turners: Creed's Bois du Portugal, Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Eau du Gouverneur,

Enjoy the search
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Gucci Pour Homme
    YSL M7
    Caron Yatagan
    Frederic Malle's Noir Epices
    Czech and Speake Cuba
    Montale's Black Aoud
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS