Code of Conduct

Default what to do if sold non authentic on ebay

It looks like this my first really bad experience, sold a bottle that smells absolutely nothing like what it is supposed to. Can anyone list some dos and don'ts when attempting to get money back. I only ask because I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is. To point out, the seller has 100% positive feedback, sent the package very quickly and genuinely seems to be a nice guy answering a question before the purchase. I'm not sure what his reaction will be when I do contact him, and wanted some advice before I do.

Default Re: what to do if sold non authentic on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    It looks like this my first really bad experience, sold a bottle that smells absolutely nothing like what it is supposed to. Can anyone list some dos and don'ts when attempting to get money back. I only ask because I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is. To point out, the seller has 100% positive feedback, sent the package very quickly and genuinely seems to be a nice guy answering a question before the purchase. I'm not sure what his reaction will be when I do contact him, and wanted some advice before I do.
    Easy.

Tell him its not the riht one, the contents is different. Ask for a refund.

See how he reacts, then act accordingly.

If he doesn't respond or sends verbal abuse then go direct to ebay - if you paid with paypal you can claim a refund through them, ebay will then look to banning him.

If he denies the claim, suggesting you don't know what your talking about, push further for a refund saying it still not what you ordered. Then go to ebay.

Either way, claim your money back via ebay if he doesn't co-operate. I'd avoid using the word 'fake', instead 'bottled incorrectly' and that you need to buy it at the high stree ttoday cos its for a birthday present and so a refund is the only option.

Good luck, let us know wo it is so we dont make the same mistake

Default eBay, received wrong item

Recently I won perfume on eBay for like $5. It was sent promptly but what Iíve got is women variant not for men. I sent e-mail to the seller, he said he does not have men version, may be it will be available in couple weeks, so I asked for refund. Got reply that I have to ship it back to get the refund. So, I have to package it, label, go to post office waiting in line (mornings are busy and thatís only time I can do)Ö Iíd better swallow that expense. But what a heck, why should I be uncomfortable for somebodyís error? Besides there is a low, if you got something and it turned out is not what you ordered, you may keep it and consider as a gift.

It is not that I would like to get rich on that small perfume bottle. I already spend sometime efforts buying that fragrance and do not want bother further on that matter, taking into account that it is not my fault.

What do you think? What would you guys do, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by RugbyPete
    Easy.

Tell him its not the riht one, the contents is different. Ask for a refund.

See how he reacts, then act accordingly.

If he doesn't respond or sends verbal abuse then go direct to ebay - if you paid with paypal you can claim a refund through them, ebay will then look to banning him.

If he denies the claim, suggesting you don't know what your talking about, push further for a refund saying it still not what you ordered. Then go to ebay.

Either way, claim your money back via ebay if he doesn't co-operate. I'd avoid using the word 'fake', instead 'bottled incorrectly' and that you need to buy it at the high stree ttoday cos its for a birthday present and so a refund is the only option.

Good luck, let us know wo it is so we dont make the same mistake
    Thanks for the helpful info Pete. This has never happened to me before. I sent him a message and he quickly replied that he would send a refund after receiving everything back. He really does seem like a good guy that didn't know he was selling the wrong stuff. I do have 2 follow up questions though.
    #1 Is it normal to send the stuff back before getting a refund. What keeps him from receiving the package and then ignoring me in the future? (I just want to cover all the bases, because it is for a whole lot of money)
    #2 Should I ask if he will send me a FULL refund? What if upon receiving it, he doesn't send me the full amount? Again, every impression that I get from him, is that it was an honest mistake, but like I said I want to cover all the bases here.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Gentlemen,
    I merged Markc's and Yuri's threads into this one since they ask almost the same question.

I want to point out though, that these threads are about trading/exchanging items that happen to be fragrances, they are not about fragrances. Basenotes is part fragrances, part life, but the questions seem to be ones eBay might have a FAQ or something else to answer, and short of that, it seems the questions and worries might best be asked of the sellers in question. I ask rhetorically: why not work it out directly counting on their and your good communication?

Thanks.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: eBay, received wrong item

If the issue is clearly the other person's fault then I totally agree with you that they should pay to have the item shipped back. There are things that you can do to get this resolved but since it sounds like an honest mistake on the seller's part, that being that there was no attempt at fraud, they just didn't do a competant job, plus the cost seems relatively low, just a few dollars to ship it back, you may want to think long and hard at how far you would want to go with this.

I would likely tell the seller that they should pay the cost to ship it back or you will leave negative feedback. Since Ebay is a trust driven market, most Ebay sellers don't like getting negative feedback and so will spend a few dollars to avoid it. You can also bring up the threat that you would tell the Basenotes community that you had problems with this particular Ebay seller and thus likely impact their Ebay sales from the Basenotes community. That is likely as far as I would go. The seller will either pay the few bucks to ship it back or the damage their reputation will cause them several times that in lost sales.

If you want to take this a step further you can file a dispute with Ebay and if you paid via Paypal you can file a dispute to stop payment. Either of these would end up taking far more time and effort then I would consider worth it for a few dollars.

Bill

Default Re: eBay, received wrong item

Quote Originally Posted by oolong
    You can also bring up the threat that you would tell the Basenotes community that you had problems with this particular Ebay seller and thus likely impact their Ebay sales from the Basenotes community.
    I know Bill is very helpful in his post and offers thorough advice, but the above quoted advice cannot happen at Basenotes. Rule number six includes:

"The Basenotes Community is not a venue for personal or private vendettas. Keep your personal business as just that – personal. This forum is not a venue for the resolution of personal disputes with members or companies."

EBay has its own feedback system and Basenotes is not an alternative or additional one. We had a thread about this two or three weeks ago in which Grant explained the policy. I'll find the link.

(Here it is: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...2&postcount=11)

Thanks,
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 5th October 2006 at 05:19 PM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Thanks for the helpful info Pete. This has never happened to me before. I sent him a message and he quickly replied that he would send a refund after receiving everything back. He really does seem like a good guy that didn't know he was selling the wrong stuff. I do have 2 follow up questions though.
    #1 Is it normal to send the stuff back before getting a refund. What keeps him from receiving the package and then ignoring me in the future? (I just want to cover all the bases, because it is for a whole lot of money)
    #2 Should I ask if he will send me a FULL refund? What if upon receiving it, he doesn't send me the full amount? Again, every impression that I get from him, is that it was an honest mistake, but like I said I want to cover all the bases here.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    A refund is a refund, if he has 100% feedback and a reasonable amount of sales, this isnt the first time someone has requested a refund. If for some reason he stiffs you, make sure to save your email conversation and eBay/Paypal will look into the situation. However, I would be extremely surprised if you have any problems. Good luck!

EDIT: And yes, generally speaking you send the item back before receiving your money.