Code of Conduct

Default I dont understand this question

You know how you'll see some posts that say something like "tell me a scent that smells exactly like kouros or joop or drakkar" or ________ (insert whatever scent you like). Why not just buy the original scent if you want a scent that smells exactly like it???? It seems to me it is kind of like saying "i dont like milk but tell me something that tastes exactly like it".
    Awesomeguy

Default Re: I dont understand this question

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    You know how you'll see some posts that say something like "tell me a scent that smells exactly like kouros or joop or drakkar" or ________ (insert whatever scent you like). Why not just buy the original scent if you want a scent that smells exactly like it???? It seems to me it is kind of like saying "i dont like milk but tell me something that tastes exactly like it".

I've often wondered the same thing. Plus I don't believe in substitutes anyway.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I have asked this question more than once, and here's why I did it:

I don't know all fragrances available on the market. And while I may have found something good, I still like to ask for scents quite like the one I found. Maybe someone knows one with more longevity/sillage or for a cheaper price? Or something not _exactly_ similar, just with minor changes? I would have LOVED to have someone to tell me of a scent EXACTLY 100% like M7 Fresh. With more longevity.

I honestly don't see why I shouldn't continue this practice. It's really about asking for alternatives, not searching exactly the same product.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 5th October 2006 at 03:56 PM.

In this form I can see just one obvious reason: if the original is too expensive. I myself don't remember questions of this kind (exact match), but if one would seek for a similar scent, another obvious reason could be that he/she does love the concept (or anything in it) very much and would try to see it in other reincarnations.

Am I naive?

I think there can be several different reasons for the question, and some of them good ones and others innocent ones. Fore example, one might be asking for other scents in the "fragrance family" of the first scent. Maybe the tar note in Amen bothers someone and he doesn't know that Rochas Man is available at a different counter somewhere.

Or say I like the lavender in Jicky but not in Pour un Homme (I like both scents very much). Maybe someone could thus help me learn about the existence of Laveande Velours.

That said, I often ask Rosberg's thread starting question when I read posts here too. If a thread starter likes X and wants something that smells like it, damn, what's the hang up? Is it that X doesn't have a "cool" reputation anymore? I'm thus often tempted to reply X smells like X. Stick with it.

Of course it's easier to ask the question when one knows little of the scent market, recognizes it, and also knows that the board here is filled with people who converse easily about hundreds of scents.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have asked this about Bvlgari Black. Not because I want a cheaper alternative, but because I know there are tens of thousands of different fragrances out there that I haven't sampled that many on here have. I have usually posted though, the things I like about Black rather than saying smells like Black. I would want to know similar ones mainly because it emboidies smoke, rubber, vanilla combo that I love and feel is unique. I am a sucker for darker stranger fragrances, so I guess I wanted to know similar types because that is the type I love. Someone with completely opposite tastes might ask what is similar to acqua di gio because that is the type they feel comfortable with.

There are reasons out there to justify these kinds of posts, but every time I see one, I still think just like you. I remember one guy about a year ago loved Fierce, but didn't want to go into an A&F store to buy it, so he bought Hollister Drift and Platinum Egoiste, based on BNote members' recommendations, instead. I remember this guy revived the post about a week later saying, "The ones I bought smell good, but weren't exactly what I was looking for, so I ended up buying Fierce anyway LOL."

*Shrugs*

Anyone know a frag that smells exactly like Very Sexy II for Men by Victoria's Secret?

I hate the name and i'm embarrassed to tell people when they ask what i'm wearing - especially the fact that it's a sequel.

Anyone know a frag that smells exactly like Nicole Miller for Men? It's discontinued and i'm gonna run out eventually and it's ridiculously expensive now (if you can even find it).

A while back I was looking for something similar to Fierce but with a little more intelligence in it, because it was way overpriced and everyone had it. I didn't want something that smelled exactly like it(in fact, I don't think anyone has ever asked for a fragrance that smells <i>exactly</i> like another - that was an exaggerated imitation you did), but I wanted other options around that type of idea. That way I'm more my own thing and not having to pay as much. Dig? Gave up on the idea, but still.
    MadScientist - when they ask you about VS, don't tell them. Think of a really clever thing to say that relays the message "that's for me to know." You'll be a man of mystery, nearly every girl's secret(sometimes even to themselves) desire.

Actually, while we're on this topic, does anything smell similar to Very Sexy I? I can't stand it anymore for some reason.. too fruity, and too purple. Maybe Magnetism is what I'm looking for, but I've heard that's a pretty fruity purple fragrance too. VS needs more.. woods, or something, I dunno, it just doesn't suit me anymore. The girls love it.. but I don't.
    Last edited by genvy5; 6th October 2006 at 06:13 AM.

I think there are multiple valid reasons for asking such a question. Maybe I can't afford Creed o SL, so what's 2nd best given price considerations? Or if I don't like the earthy G. Vetiver, what else is there? I don't believe people are asking for clones, just variations.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    I don't believe people are asking for clones, just variations.
    If they want something that smells "exactly" like something else (like they often do), then they are definitely looking for a clone.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Still don't know what's wrong with that. Fragrances have decisive features that have been named in this thread apart from the smell itself, like longevity, price, and for some the reputation of the house. Availability could also be a factor.

There is a thread with 17 pages about similar fragrances, so there definitely are possibilities to find something very close at maybe a better price.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 6th October 2006 at 09:26 AM.

Actually, I get a bit puzzled when the question is asked about "similar" scents as well as the "exactly the same" ones.
    Fair enough if the scent in question is discontinued or very expensive.
    But quite often I get the impression the person just wants a drawer full of very similar scents.
    What's the fun in that?
    Renato

I ask the question all the time because i cant get that scent in my country.
    I asked the other day about the scents that smelled similar to Creeds,because i cannot buy creeds in my country.
    Also like mentioned earlier,i may smell a frag that i love,but it doesnt last on me,so id like to try scents that smell the same,which may i fact have the longevity im looking for

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish
    I ask the question all the time because i cant get that scent in my country.
    I asked the other day about the scents that smelled similar to Creeds,because i cannot buy creeds in my country.
    Also like mentioned earlier,i may smell a frag that i love,but it doesnt last on me,so id like to try scents that smell the same,which may i fact have the longevity im looking for
    That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that one as when scents don't have longevity on me, I tend to get cheesed off with them.
    But it's a very good point.
    Renato