Code of Conduct

Default Two Fragrances: Help Me Pick One

Trying to decide between buying a bottle of Arpege Pour Homme by Lanvin or The Third Man by Caron. (It's not about money, as neither is expensive. It's about space, and also about learning to tame the perfume beast, as it were.)

Either would be a blind purchase for me. I've heard so many of you rave about both of these here on Basenotes that I'm now anxious to try at least one of them out. I have a somewhat decent idea of Arpege Pour Homme smells like (or at least I think I do, as two or three strongly compared it to Burberry Touch, the only Burberry I like outside the discontinued "blue box" original), but have no earthly idea what to expect of Caron's Third Man. Does it smell even remotely like anything I might be familiar with?

Advice?

Default Re: Two Fragrances: Help Me Pick One

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    have no earthly idea what to expect of Caron's Third Man.
    The reviews in the directory do a great job of describing Third Man. I have a bottle on the way and can't wait to know what it smells like.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I would pick the 3rd man - while it may not live up to the lofty expectations, its a great fragrance.

Its what would be the result if L'Anarchiste and Pour Un Homme hooked up and had a baby - a bit of traditional lavender mixed in with the evolution and variety of L'Anarchiste.
    -

Both are nice fragances, even if for sure Le 3me homme is the most particular: Caron has always a very particular and not for everyone touch in its frags, sort of contrasting balance in their house style... Arpège PH is for sure safer as a blid buy, a nice juice for sure with its lavender/violets/iris blend refreshed by orange blossoms and green-woody undertones. On the other hand Le 3me homme has a sooo tasteful mandarine-almond accord in it that makes it sparkling and intriguing at the same time. But as I told ya, I understand it's not for everyone...