Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a fragrance with the following qualities: (quite specific)

Hey everyone!
    Here's one to test everyone here: Im looking specifically for a scent that will fit a set of characteristics. I am quite specific with what I'm looking for, but there is definitely room for opinion on what could work! I'm very interested to see what could be recommended, and I think that the list will be much shorter than usual frag searching threads.
    Please use these keywords as guidelines; it is hard to put feelings into good adjectives in order to convey as closely as possible what im thinking!

Firstly, Im looking for a scent that is large, warm, showy (but not in-your-face), and full of character.
    Secondly, this scent must be well balanced, elegant (though not necessarily formal), sensual, smooth, and refined.
    Finally, it should not be too sharp, and spicy-ness is to be avoided. Earthy-qualities can be good though.

Totally open to suggestions, I'd love to see where this goes.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by LushLife; 7th October 2006 at 09:28 AM.

Default Re: Looking for a fragrance with the following qualities: (quite specific)

This requires some thought, but spontaneously Crown Perfumery's Sandringham came to mind.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thrax

Default Re: Looking for a fragrance with the following qualities: (quite specific)

I just got a bottle of Rochas Lui today. I feel it meets your criteria extremely well!!!

Chanel Égoïste (not Platinum!!!) or Antaeus might be worth a try.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Kiton.
    Renato

Vintage Tabarome, in moderation

- Musk Ravageur - large, warm, showy, well balanced, elegant, sensual, smooth, and refined.
    - both Boucherons (Homme, Jaipur) - large, warm, showy, well balanced, elegant, sensual, smooth, and refined.

(neither is earthy, sharp or spicey)
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Guerlain L'Instant
    YSL M7
    FM Musc Ravageur
    Chanel Egoiste

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I would second Musc Ravageur, Jaipur and Tabarome and add Lutens Douce Amere. Extremely suave, attention-getter, as well-rounded as it gets, sensual & warm, not spicy, but of course not earthy either. Very unisex, some may think of it as feminine. Vetyver Oriental by Lutens could also fit the bill, though its is spicier, I seem to recall. Daim Blond might fit too, if you have the right skin and get a nice suede note, but it's very fruity and feminine on some people (like me).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Miracle Aquatonic. Of all the scents I know that's the nearest. Jaipur is good, but is a bit 'in your face', Miracle is shy compared to it.

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a fragrance with the following qualities: (quite specific)

Polo Crest,no doubt
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Brit Burberry? Great warm scent... the ladies just cant get enough of it. It seems very elegant to me, refined fits the bill. Enjoy!

Overcome By Fumes

Consider Caron Le 3e Homme or Lalique pour Homme (lion bottle).

These are both elegant, but not snooty, have a sweet sensual touch of vanilla, as well as the earthy patchouli note tastefully blended in. Neither is overly spicy, but both are bold without being overbearing. No rough edges.

Rochas Lui, Tabarome by Creed, Black Jeans by Versace, Antaeus by Chanel, Gentleman by Givenchy, Égoïste by Chanel, Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle

Boss No.1 maybe, its warm and earthy, is also a pretty big scent and isn't expensive or very common. You could easily pick it up at Shoppers DrugMart for about 30 bucks depending on where in Canada you live.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

That is Vétiver Extraordinaire from Frederic Malle to me.

Basenotes Plus

Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain is extremely warm with a touch of spice.

Signoricci by Nina Ricci (1976)
    Bois du Portugal by Creed (1987)
    Bel Ami by Hermès (1986)
    Iquitos by Alain Delon (1987)
    Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (1988)
    Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi (1995)
    Nicolaï pour Homme by Patricia de Nicolaï (2003)
    Daim Blond by Serge Lutens (2004)

I might be off on some of these but maybe
    you can scratch out something here and
    then again maybe not...
    Last edited by caboose; 7th October 2006 at 05:53 PM.
    CG

Vetyver Oriental by Lutens is a great recommendation. I'd also suggest Santal Noble from MPG.
    ..."net", not "naut".

Here's another vote for Chanel's Egoiste (not platinum).

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Rochas Lui, Tabarome by Creed, Black Jeans by Versace, Antaeus by Chanel, Gentleman by Givenchy, Égoïste by Chanel, Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle

I would second the "Gentleman by Givenchy" suggestion.

Cool Re: Looking for a fragrance with the following qualities: (quite specific)

Quote Originally Posted by LushLife
    Hey everyone!
    Here's one to test everyone here: Im looking specifically for a scent that will fit a set of characteristics. I am quite specific with what I'm looking for, but there is definitely room for opinion on what could work! I'm very interested to see what could be recommended, and I think that the list will be much shorter than usual frag searching threads.
    Please use these keywords as guidelines; it is hard to put feelings into good adjectives in order to convey as closely as possible what im thinking!

Firstly, Im looking for a scent that is large, warm, showy (but not in-your-face), and full of character.
    Secondly, this scent must be well balanced, elegant (though not necessarily formal), sensual, smooth, and refined.
    Finally, it should not be too sharp, and spicy-ness is to be avoided. Earthy qualities can be good though.

Thanks!

Dunhill '34. Right on the money.

Tigs offhand suggestions of Egoiste (not platinum) and Antaeus are superb. The question is whether you would consider Antaeus too 'sharp/woodsy' in the opening? Or would it fit your 'earthy' qualities to a T?--my guess is the latter. Antaeus is amazing . . .

Vinatage Tabarome AND Jaipur PH!--- LOL!
    -But, really, they probably fit the criteria, don't they? Even if they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Jaipur is very well blended-- but hardly earthy, I suppose one could call it warm but the word is sweet. Vintage Tab is certainly 'earthy' and in the small doses suggested could be warm, rather than 'in your face'
    Still, my sister could wear Jaipur PH and have the men fall at her feet, my grandfather could have backed down a lynch mob wearing Vintage Tab.

Your question is quite specific but leaves enough latitude that one can recommend a great deal.

Habit Rouge's warmer cousin, Le Roy Soleil---if you don't mind a bit of citrus throughout the accord.

( Some would argue that despite the 'refreshignly cold' opening HR is a warm scent as well, int the sense of in embracing, soothing, comforting, etc.)

Then there are Jaipur's sexier, bad boy cousins Bulgari Black, Minotaure and Roma--for some, masterpieces in blending--for others cheaply overdone and 'Too Italian. '

See the reviews.

My sympathy is with the first group--if applied in small doses, otherwise they put Vintage Tab to shame by being really 'in your face'.

Finally, I'd recommend Prada PH as the good and safe PG choice and Salvador by Dali as the great R rated romantic one.

What have you started in this thread? I bow to you, sir! This may turn out to be one helluva roschart test.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Chanel Antaeus: earthy, sensual, woody, deep, mysterious, elegant
    Givenchy Gentleman: warm, magnetic, animalic, woody
    Rochas Lui: warm, comforting, creamy
    Malle Musc Ravageur: warm, sensual, encircling, daring
    Dior Eau Noire: earthy, deep, rich, luscious

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    That is Vétiver Extraordinaire from Frederic Malle to me.
    I 2nd that.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Antaeus all the way. A *huge* and expansive smell that occupies volume without feeling heavy, bulky or weighted down. Smells so ridiculously rich - it is impossible. A large dose of labdanum and a rich beeswax ending give it a bit of sweetness. Feels like being showered by the softest powder of dried pot-pourri in the middle of cool dark night. It reminds me of a black opaque crystal orb - the feeling is dark, dramatic, smooth, suave and intelligent.
    Last edited by paranoidandroid; 7th October 2006 at 11:50 PM.

Caron's Third Man fits perfectly.

A lot of people have been suggesting Egoiste, but I almost feel like its too light for what you're after. Antaeus is a good suggestion though.

MPG Santal Noble would be best of all if you're willing to the niche route.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    I would second Musc Ravageur, Jaipur and Tabarome and add Lutens Douce Amere. Extremely suave, attention-getter, as well-rounded as it gets, sensual & warm, not spicy, but of course not earthy either. Very unisex, some may think of it as feminine. Vetyver Oriental by Lutens could also fit the bill, though its is spicier, I seem to recall. Daim Blond might fit too, if you have the right skin and get a nice suede note, but it's very fruity and feminine on some people (like me).
    I have Douce Amere on my right wrist and Daim Blond on my left at the moment, and Daim Blond quickly turned into a "Tide powder laundry detergent/carpet freshner scent (took a while to figure it out, but now I'm certain of it); while Douce Amere softened, losing all anise scent, and turned into a soft light cocoa/more prevalent vanilla. I must scrub off Daim Blond right now!
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

all I can say is WOW - I was expecting mabye a couple responses, but this is fantastic!

Where to begin: I currently have tried Antaeus, Egoiste, Eau Noir, and Daim Blond. I really really liked Daim Blond, and Egoiste is one that I also really enjoy wearing. Antaeus- wow this one is deep. There's a creamy texture to it that is just amazing, very well done fragrance. I really enjoy the opening notes in Daim Blond; im not even sure what notes they are but they are absolutely sensual and smooth to my nose. Eau noir seems to be so complex and well blended, I do enjoy wearing it but only on occasion.

Musc Ravageur: After all I've been hearing about this one, and the responses here, this one is now a must-try.
    MPG Santal Noble: very interesting, I'll look into this one
    Boss No.1: really?
    Dunhill 34: have not ever looked into this one, will have to get on it...
    Le 3ieme homme, Signoricci: these two I've been dying to try, so I'm excited to hear that other Basenoters would put them in the classification of exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks everyone, I look forward to more responses!

Quote Originally Posted by LushLife
    Hey everyone!

Finally, it should not be too sharp, and spicy-ness is to be avoided. Earthy-qualities can be good though.

Thanks!
    Frederic Malle's NOIR EPICES comes to mind. Check it out!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Dior Bois d'Argent

Earthy, warm, and full-bodied. Sensual, yet elegant.
    Last edited by Carlos; 8th October 2006 at 04:07 AM.

i 3rd 3rd man...

First choice: Chamade by Guerlain
    Second: Attrape Coeur (formerly Guet-Apens)
    Third: Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle
    And a 'maybe' for VIP Room (just a little bit of soft smooth leather)

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Frederic Malle's NOIR EPICES comes to mind. Check it out!

Noir epices...
    It could be the unisex standard of elegance...
    I can not decide what to buy in the future... Musc Ravageur or noir Epices

Musc Ravageur is ,,dirty"...
    And Noir Espices - very correct
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Consider Caron Le 3e Homme <snip>
    These are both elegant, but not snooty, have a sweet sensual touch of vanilla, as well as the earthy patchouli note tastefully blended in. Neither is overly spicy, but both are bold without being overbearing. No rough edges.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    Caron's Third Man fits perfectly.
    If I'm counting correctly, I will enthusiastically fourth the suggestion for Le 3e Homme de Caron! This was the first thought in my mind after reading your criteria. It is everything that you've asked for a scent to be, and more. Be sure to read the current parallel thread on this scent.

The other thought in my mind, and I'm very surprised not to see it already mentioned, is Hermes Equipage. This is also a large, warm, smooth, masculine fragrance that imho nearly fulfills your criteria as well as Third Man.

Finally, have you experienced A*men? While I think the two above are closer to that which you seek, it strikes me that A*men might fulfill your criteria, in addition to being somewhat avant garde and a peerless cool/cold weather scent.

Please do report back with your experiences trying these various suggestions and your ultimate decision!

Jeff