Code of Conduct

Default Caron Third Man. Holy Mother Of *****!!!!

Sorry...let me compose myself here.
    OK, here we go...

I just got this one in a swap, blind. Simply put...one of the greatest smells that have ever graced my nostrils, and that includes some niches that i've tried. Sweet but not too much, with such a velvety smoothness and flow from top to base. So elegant and mysterious, rich and deep. Rich and subtle at once. Not a single discordant note here, it's all smooth sailing with this baby. Wish i'd discovered this years ago, but better later than never. Will take time in the next few days to experience this further.
    What are your thoughts on Third Man, my fellow scent addicts?

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Default Re: Caron Third Man. Holy Mother Of *****!!!!

I agree. I like it a great deal as well.

I need to actually get a bottle instead of my 10ml decant though...

Blog Entries

Caron happens to be one of my favourite houses!

I love so many of their perfumes that it is positively obscene. Male or female doesn't matter - they are all sublime.

The 3rd Man is wonderful - exactly as you said, smooth, warm balsamic / ambery perfection.

*sigh*
    Last edited by moondeva; 8th October 2006 at 12:09 AM. Reason: formatting glitch
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Sounds interesting knightowl. Which bottle do you have ... this or this?

I finally smelled Le 3me homme lately chez Caron in Paris and I've been surprised to discover such a nice juice! But like for others Carons I find also in it quite challenging notes: the sparkling whole mandarine, flom the juicy pulp to the slightly bitter touch of the peel, together with atouch of bergamot contrasting with a sweeter, more rounded luscious heart with touches of sweet almond and carnation spiced up with a coriander whiff. The drydown also impressed me turning woodier but never loosing the balance between sparklyness and sweetness. I've been strongly impressed also by the lasting power which was good!
    My only regret is: what a pity they don't do smaller bottles than 125 ml!

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    The second one. The "old school" bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    The second one. The "old school" bottle.
    Damn ... I hope the new one smells like the one you have. The newer one seems to be all over ebay and some online retailers for a reasonable price.

Sorry to be the naysayer here, but I found this one to be too smooth. I like my frags a little rough around the edges (notwithstanding Dunhill '03 & Yang). It is amazingly well done and a high quality frag just not for me.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

An intriguing scent to say the least. I like it a lot. I purchased a bottle only recently so I'm still mystified/perplexed when I spray it on. Awesome stuff. One that Luca Turin recommended (along with Rive Gauche PH and Gucci PH) for women to prepare them for their riskier corporate missions dealing with men.

Michael Edwards classifies The Third Man as a rich aromatic/fougere along with another one of your (knightowl) favorites, Equipage.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th October 2006 at 11:37 AM.

What are your thoughts on Third Man, my fellow scent addicts?
    1. Very high quality
    2. Unbelievable drydown
    3. Pure masculine power with slightly animalic vibe
    4. Chunks of green soaps
    5. Most definitely a bit dated scent

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    ... I've been strongly impressed also by the lasting power which was good! My only regret is: what a pity they don't do smaller bottles than 125 ml!
    No regrets about that here, and you can always get rid of surplus like that! Just ask me, Magnifiscent .

I too tried H3 in a french boutique recently. I may end up ranking it higher than Yatagan which I love. I first have to buy it though. The whole Caron line of scents is really excellent. Only L'Anarchiste has not been made for me.

During that same visit I got a drop of Tabac Blond on my skin. I think there are a few precious experiences in the scent life of each of us. This new acquaintance was one of those moments for me! Now, I am not the type to follow scent impulses immediately. I was dizzy headed during hours that followed, and TB stood in the way of buying anything that day. I wouldn't spend 200$ without a second check. But then I could not have bought any 'lesser' cologne either (Xerius Black and Jules had been scheduled). I shall thus be back in France, unless a community member wants to share his bottle with me . With an extrait like Tabac Blond, 50 ml, or less, would certainly do!
    Last edited by narcus; 8th October 2006 at 09:54 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thoughts on this one? Bought this one blind too and I wanted to get rid of this one quickly. Dated strong 80's smell , and a major stinker! Tried Pour un Homme and Anarchiste also. Caron's mens fragrances are really bad to me man, Yugh!

I can't wait to try the Third Man...mmm. I am wearing Yatagan as I type this and I am so fond of this scent. Yatagan is walking through a dark forest with the smell of fresh dirt and pine and herbs. It is very masculine.

Overcome By Fumes

It's hard not to praise Le 3e Homme.
    All I gotta say is go and get some!
    Of all the 'fumes out there, this is a plum.
    Any bad notes? Not even a crumb.
    Sex analogy? It'll make you come.
    Lasts much longer than Bazooka gum.
    So if you want a scent that will make you hum,
    Don't be dumb
    Get off your bum
    And pick up a bottle of Le 3e Homme!

Apologies to Caron.

Caron pour un homme is quite classy
    While Yatagan comes on as sassy
    Homme troisieme
    is a sweet refined gem
    for the gentleman, like Caswell Massey

P.S.: L'Anarchiste ... isn't missed

(Johann Wolfgang von good_life)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321

I have both of those bottles or 3rd Man, and I don't detect much of
    any difference. They are both great!

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    I have both of those bottles or 3rd Man, and I don't detect much of
    any difference. They are both great!
    Trumpet_Guy, does your old-style bottle say "homme" on it? Mine just says "Le n#3 de Caron".
    Both the bottle and box are retro-cool. I'm definetly keeping 'em long after the juice is gone.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    It's hard not to praise Le 3e Homme.
    All I gotta say is go and get some!
    Of all the 'fumes out there, this is a plum.
    Any bad notes? Not even a crumb.
    Sex analogy? It'll make you come.
    Lasts much longer than Bazooka gum.
    So if you want a scent that will make you hum,
    Don't be dumb
    Get off your bum
    And pick up a bottle of Le 3e Homme!

Apologies to Caron.
    - And all this time I've been thinking that I love to wear it 'cause it smells good... Clever ode!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I like this fragrance and is a wonderful aromatic. Love it but on my skin, it does not last as long as I want it to. I have this one and Yatagan. I find the latter more compelling on my skin.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Trumpet_Guy, does your old-style bottle say "homme" on it? Mine just says "Le n#3 de Caron".
    Both the bottle and box are retro-cool. I'm definetly keeping 'em long after the juice is gone.
    The bottle just says Le no 3 de Caron,
    but the box adds "eau de toilette pour homme natural spray."

I expect our bottles are identical.

Thanks for the idea, Knightowl.
    I don't have any Caron scents yet, but somehow it seems like I would like them. Your timing is good for me, because I just saw The Third Man, a real masterpiece of filmmaking! I don't think I've ever seen a film with so many amazing shots, just one after the other. (not that I'm susceptible to cross-marketing or anything).

And with TrumpetGuy adding the musical note of approval, resistance may be futile for me!

I'm bringing this thread forward 'cause I decided to order another bottle. It's actually been at least half a year since I tossed my last bottle 'cause it went bad, just kind of faded...I think it was on the old side, partly 'cause it came in the old box with the multi-colored design. Can't wait to get the new bottle! Third Man is one of my favorites of all time. Hey you guys, I liked the poems you wrote earlier on this thread!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Found it 'early'..

Wear it often..

Still on my current Fav 5 list and IMO an amazingly warm and inviting scent.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Sorry to be the naysayer here, but I found this one to be too smooth. I like my frags a little rough around the edges (notwithstanding Dunhill '03 & Yang). It is amazingly well done and a high quality frag just not for me.
    K
    You have it listed in your signature as one of your current top 5, though...

**just realized this thread was started 10/06, guess you've changed your mind about it!

I just smelled this a few days ago for the first time. The sales person must have thought I was crazy. At first sniff, I said "wow!"....and then I repeated a few more times, sniffing, and saying wow, wrist to nose, as she chuckled.

It's an absolutely beautiful fragrance. I expected it to be a strong, ultra spicy, overpowering, old school frag, but this isn't the case at all. It's velvety smooth,multilayered, with just a touch of sweetness, and just the right amount of spiciness. The drydown is amazing. Sillage and longevity is superb. If you haven't tried this already, definitely do!
    Last edited by DJB; 2nd February 2007 at 01:44 PM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I asked about Caron men's scents just a few days ago and was told overwhelmingly "3e Homme!" Now my interest is really piqued. Where can I go sample this? Does anyone know what department stores in NYC have a Caron counter? I know there is a Caron boutique on Madison Ave. Has anyone had any luck getting samples at the boutique?
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Is there a difference between these two bottles as far as what's inside???

Last edited by asleep; 2nd February 2007 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mochi227
    I asked about Caron men's scents just a few days ago and was told overwhelmingly "3e Homme!" Now my interest is really piqued. Where can I go sample this? Does anyone know what department stores in NYC have a Caron counter? I know there is a Caron boutique on Madison Ave. Has anyone had any luck getting samples at the boutique?
    Dear Mochi,
    There are tons of people here who will decant it for you. But maybe that's not in time for your gift purchase.

This is quite good. My wife loves it on me. The opening's a bit jarring though.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Third Man is okay, but a bit tame. I like L'Anarchist, Pour Un Homme and Yatagan more, as they have a certain edginess about them which is totally missing in Third Man.
    Renato

I'm happy to hear all of the positive reviews on this frag. I decided to buy it blind last week, and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail!

I guess a way to describe Third Man are the words 'fruity musk'. I'd say you have to like musky frags in order to enjoy this one. I certainly do.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I guess a way to describe Third Man are the words 'fruity musk'. I'd say you have to like musky frags in order to enjoy this one. I certainly do.
    Heavenly will also do..

I really enjoy it.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Talking Re: Caron Third Man. Holy Mother Of *****!!!!

So far my man has two frags in his collection (both given to him by moi)
    Antaeus and Third Man
    Both are WONDERFUL

btw, nice poetry, gentlemen!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Your man must be smellin' swell. Two masculine, deep, rich fragrances
    that say, "I'm not afraid to be smelled." Excellent choices.

Now, as for a previous poster's question:

Quote Originally Posted by asleep
    Is there a difference between these two bottles as far as what's inside???

I have both. There is no significant difference. The second one is the
    newer one. The atomizer on the newer bottle is of poorer quality
    than that on the older bottle. I'd probably just get the newer bottle
    so that the juice will be fresher.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 3rd February 2007 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Damn, was the old 3rd man bottle and packaging freakin' fugly or what ! Whats with the extreme use of the brown color ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Damn, was the old 3rd man bottle and packaging freakin' fugly or what ! Whats with the extreme use of the brown color ?
    The box is kinda ugly, but the bottle's not that bad...
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Thoughts on this one? Bought this one blind too and I wanted to get rid of this one quickly. Dated strong 80's smell , and a major stinker! Tried Pour un Homme and Anarchiste also. Caron's mens fragrances are really bad to me man, Yugh!
    yeah, I second that. I wanted to love 3rdMan but couldn't. Traded it after the second spray.

LeAnarchist...didn't mind the "orange," but the "metallic" note was a major turn-off.

PUH--yeah, great, gone in 60 seconds.

As far as Yatagan goes, rub yourself with a celery stick and save the money.

The winner--PUH Intense/Concentree/whatever. Expensive and worth every penny.
    Last edited by Rebelwithoutaclue; 3rd February 2007 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    Your man must be smellin' swell. Two masculine, deep, rich fragrances
    that say, "I'm not afraid to be smelled." Excellent choices.

Now, as for a previous poster's question:
    I have both. There is no significant difference. The second one is the
    newer one. The atomizer on the newer bottle is of poorer quality
    than that on the older bottle. I'd probably just get the newer bottle
    so that the juice will be fresher.
    why, thank you, trumpet guy. In fact, those were his words as he gave his virgin try to these fragrance beauties. This is all new for him, my obsession is slowly sneaking over to him, by osmosis. (hee hee hee) He has a "special" application technique, also. As a lefty, he gives one spritz to the left side of his neck, and one robust squirt to his "package" , over the jeans, mind you. I find this to be utterly charming.

I bought the older bottle from oolong. The packaging is unremarkable but the bottle has a dark sleek look about it that is nice. But then, I like the Serge Lutens bottles for their minimalistic efficiency. I like that you can easily have your choice of cap or spritzer without any problems. Give me a beautiful scent in a simple bottle and I am happy.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I got my new bottle in the mail today. I pulled the trigger about four times, which was probably one too many, as the sillage was plentiful and I later got a headache from it...I'd forgot it was so potent! And it sure lasts. It's been over half a year since my old bottle died (and it did die...it was of much older vintage and just lost its potency, including all the fruit notes); it's a lot of fun to rediscover a scent you used to wear, especially one as classic IMHO as this. I'm sure I'll wear it for the next couple days in a row.

One thing I was intrigued by was the fruit note or notes. No, it's not apple, or orange, or strawberry...it's a real middle-of-the-road fruit, whatever it is. Or maybe it's the fruit in combination with the rose, jasmine, and anise. Or maybe it's just a generic lab-concocted fruit note. Whatever it is, it works as part of the overall effect...like milamber said, "Trust me...it's fabulous."

I just HAVE to pipe in here...this thread was my sole reason to spontaneously buy 3rd man....This MAY be my best blind purchase next to Rose 31....I mean this stuff is remarkable...I got home last night and there the package was...I sprayed 1 tiny spot on my hand....5 minutes later my wife walked by and said "WHAT IS THAT?" you smell really good....I said....for $28 bucks....I get a sexy look and compliment...but for $180 I get a turned up nose ? HAHA....Anyway, this stuff just works for me...Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DJB View Post
    You have it listed in your signature as one of your current top 5, though...

**just realized this thread was started 10/06, guess you've changed your mind about it!
    With the top 5, one day I'll like something and another decide it deserves to be castigated.

I used to have an older splash bottle (I prefer the looks of that old bottle, now they just seem to have those boring rectangular ones with the rounded edges), but it just didn't do it for me. So I swapped it.

For whatever reason I decided to get another bottle. Carons (usually) come cheap so this was no big deal.

It wore a bit better on me than when I wore it before, not quite so smooth, good duration, and the complexity came out. Chances are in the bottle I had some of the notes were gone. Really like the base in this.
    Last edited by MisterK; 27th April 2007 at 01:08 PM.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

If you like the Third Man, you should consider giving Vendetta (by Valentino) a shot as well.
    They both have quite similar structure, with Vendetta being the more sour of the two.
    In fact, I would state that the two are close cousins of one another.

Smile Re: Caron Third Man. Holy Mother Of *****!!!!

The 3rd Man is extraordinaire!