Code of Conduct

Thread: Rose scents

Default Rose scents

What is your favorite rose scent?

Default Re: Rose scents

I like you, Loukoumi. My favorite rose is Penhaligon's Elisabethan Rose. It is a true white rose, fresh with morning dew. I have the nerve to think of it as Creed's Fleur de the Rose Bulgare's younger sister, every bit as complete and lovely. FdtRB is a full blown deep red rose of the evening, and quite wonderful and lovely, especially nice for fall. FdtRB is also what I use to add more rose to KM Loukhoum and SL Fumerie Turque, as it can stand even with anything.

I like Paris EDT as well. I have the EDP but I seldom reach for it. Of the three Eau de Printemps versions I have I like Paris Premieres Roses the best. I haven't tried the Rose de Bois yet. That's on my to do list.

I'm very fond of Bulgari Rose Essentielle, but I think of it as a violet/rose scent, and I'm aware of the patchouli in the base. Uhm, uhm, good.

Another one not to be missed by any rose lover is Guerlain's Nahema. It is more complex, having a true perfume development which is just incredibly lovely from beginning to end. It's a sultry, eyes half closed kind of rose.

Hmmmmm.

Annick Goutal Rose Absolue, a soliflore of six kinds of roses: May, Turkish, Bulgarian, Damask, Egyptian, Moroccan. A true Sleeping Beauty!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

No.88 by Czech & Speake

Stella Rose Absolute. I also like Goutal Ce Soir ou Jamais, but it is quite different to Stella. And I have KM Damascena (bright, fruity rose) as well, and three Rosines. Would like to find an earthy rose without a leathery accord.

Surprisingly, near-unanimous favorite FdTRB bores me.

Joy is probably my favorite but I also like it because it has a good dose of jasmine and that shows up very nicely on my skin, especially in the EdT.

Paris- but my favorite part is the cool, dry, mossy/dusty dryout. This is as close as I get to chypre.

Sudanese Black Rose by Attar Bazaar- the deepest red rose ever. Almost incense-like. A winter time fragrance or just a drop on a sultry summer evening.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Paris by YSL

I got my first bottle as a present from my parents back in the late 80s. I haven't own another bottle ever since. Sometimes I will take a trip to the YSL counter when I need some instant flashback. The scent brings back a lot of memories from school as well as the time I spent at home with my family.

My favourite roses are not soliflores. I like roses when they are a bit dark and spicy...
    My favourites are -
    Parfum Sacre
    Agent Provocateur
    Nuit de Noel
    Ta'if
    Fete d'Hiver
    Megumi

I also like Lipstick Rose and Bvlgari but only sometimes as they are so sweet...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Un Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine smells as close as any to the orange "Tropicana" roses that I grow in my garden. I grow five different roses, each selected on the basis of scent. The Tropicana is citrusy but sweet. I couldn't believe it when I smelled Un Zeste--it was like having my favorite rose in a bottle. As an added bonus, the perfume dries down to what people have described as an "iced tea with lemon" scent, which is wonderful.

bvlgari pour femme and tea rose. i see red.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Like Ayala, I too love deep and a bit darker roses in my perfume... and like her, I adore Agent Provocateur!

But my favorite rose is the Chocolaty Indian Rose that is in Deep Night! I adore it. It reminds me of the lovely, velvelty, plush, petals of Black Baccarà Rose.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Czech & Speake's DARK ROSE; Shiseido's NOMBRE NOIR; tragically, both discontinued. LE MAROC POUR ELLE by Andy Tauer; ROSE MUSKISSIME by Maitre Parfumier & Gantier; ROSE DE NUIT by Serge Lutens - three marvelous and interesting roses that are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Accord
    Czech & Speake's DARK ROSE; Shiseido's NOMBRE NOIR; tragically, both discontinued. LE MAROC POUR ELLE by Andy Tauer; ROSE MUSKISSIME by Maitre Parfumier & Gantier; ROSE DE NUIT by Serge Lutens - three marvelous and interesting roses that are available.
    Isn't Rose de Nuit the one that is only available in Paris?

Explorator Dumpsterorum

One of my favorites that gets overlooked and that -- to me -- suggests a vintage 40's-50's fragrance is Irma Shorell Rose Perfume. Its rose accord is that of Turkish rose.

Post Re: Rose scents

I have to say Lorenzo Villoresi Musk. While No. 88 is absolutely unique and ravishing fragrance, Musk is a fragrance I actually wear time to time

Ahhh - my obsession with roses is what got me addicted to fragrance in the first place! Rose is definitely my favorite fragrance and I love many of its moods. I don't like very powdery rose scents, and some smell mildewy on my skin (to my horror), but here are a few I'm just mad over: (Most are staples in my wardrobe)

Stella Rose Absolute (I love Stella as well, but the rose is heavier in the absolute)

Yves Saint Laurent Paris

L'Occitane Eau des 4 Reines - gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. This one really surprised me.

Lancome Mille & Une Roses (shockingly beautiful)

Jo Malone Red Roses (this smells very, very true to the flower, to me. I have 30 rosebushes and I can compare it to several of them!) It's like inhaling every bush in my garden at once!)

Rosine Rosa Flamenca

Rose Un Zest de Rose

Brosseau Ombre Rose l'Original

Mariela Burani (smells a lot like Ombre Rose)

Perfume of Life Wanderlust (a unique and fascinating rose)

YSL Paris Springtime versions - esp. Vergers and Enchantee

Lancôme Trésor and its versions

Grès Cabaret

DSH Perfumes des Beaux Arts Beach Roses - this doesn't smell like the beach in the least to me, but it's an interesting take on rose. It's a "dark" rose to me.

Serge Lutens Sa Majesté la Rose (it's ALIVE!)

Rochas Tocade

Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn Rose is nice, but not one I enjoy wearing. I'm not at all fond of their Rosewater, even though ordinarily I love rosewater.

The beauty of Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare is NOT an urban myth. If you haven't tried this you simply must. It is very true to fresh, just bloomed roses. It's an amazing fragrance that I someday hope to own. I just haven't been willing (or able) to buy a full bottle yet. *sigh* Someday!

I'm really wanting to try Penhaligon's Elisabethan Rose. Especially after Shycat's reviews!
    Last edited by Tovah; 11th October 2006 at 03:17 AM.

I adore Czech & Speake's DARK ROSE. Unfortunately it is not being made now and was on the market for only a short time. C&S has said for quite some time that they will be offering it again. It is frustrating that they haven't done so. It is very deep. It is sweet but balanced by a tannic saffron note that is just thrilling.

Thank you all! I love roses!
    I have heard so much about Mille et Une Rose. I REALLY want to try it.
    I also want to try the YSL special edition roses., Tested at Neimans today the Rose Verger-VERY nice. I have heard rose de bois is a great on too but they didn't have it....
    My current rose faves are
    Like Tovah and Purple Bird, I love Rosine Zest de Rose and also Ecume de Rose
    Also, Sa Majeste de Rose sometimes, but this is the limit of my collection!

I used to own Ce Soir Ou Jamais but it didn't work on my skin, a first for me.

Artisankey, my neighbor loves Joy too, so I went to Neimans to try it today and I am afraid its not for me.
    Also, I used to own Nehema EdP but I didn't love it as much as some folks who rave about it so I swapped it away.

So apparently, not all roses work for me, which surprises me totally since I love all rose flowers, each unique and different but all delicious.

Ayala, my next venture is to your site to check out several that I have read about there before.... Interested in Fete Hiver and Finjan and well thats another thread....

Thanks all!

I tried a great on the other day: Montale Black Aoud. I starts off medicinal and repugnant--but wait. The oud has a preternatural ability to ramp up the rose fragrance until it is glowing like a neon sign. It isn't realistic like Un Zeste de Rose, but a person must appreciate it for different reasons. Remember the intense, rose-scented face cream in the heavy, white glass jars in the old days? It is creatively rosey like that, only much more beautiful. It gets in your memory forever. If you don't like Black Aoud (and lots of people do) other people have recommended Aoud Rose Petals and Aoud Queen Rose in the Montale line.

Today I'm trying a sample from Beautyhabit called Calypso "Candy" Rose, which is by Christiane Celle Calypso. I don't know why Beautyhabit calls it "Candy" rose...but, in any case, this is a lovely, deep rose fragrance along the lines of Fresh Bulgarian Rose. It's pure rose so I guess it's a soliflore, but it smells deep - almost like wine or liqueur. It's slightly reminiscent of Une Rose in that sense, but it's really much "cleaner". There was a fragrance by Avon eons ago called Roses, Roses. Calypso Rose reminds me of this. Very fresh and pretty.

Keep us posted on your rose finds!

Ombre Rose, Rose de Nuit, Tea Rose

Voleur de Roses

Dan

Swaps on the marketplace, please.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 13th October 2006 at 06:18 PM.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

I'm not very fond of scents with rose notes, but Lorenzo Villoresi Musk is absolutely divine. It's an oriental scent with a powdery rose note.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    I'm not crazy about my Voleur de Roses, even though I like it.

Swaps on the marketplace, please.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 13th October 2006 at 06:18 PM.

Dan & Martin: please keep your swaps on the market place or deal through IMs, this is NOT the place for them. Thank you.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Dan & Martin: please keep your swaps on the market place or deal through IMs, this is NOT the place for them. Thank you.
    Whoops, my bad. Sorry about that.

Gantiers Jardin du Nil. Geranium Rose and Mint with a slightly musky base........I could swear there's a touch of Saffron too........

Love it, Love it.........

Quote Originally Posted by John.com
    Gantiers Jardin du Nil. Geranium Rose and Mint with a slightly musky base........I could swear there's a touch of Saffron too........

Love it, Love it.........
    i thought this was a Hermes fragrance. Do you mean Maitre Parfumiers...Gantiers?

I'm with Purplebird about Black Aoud, only she described its appeal much better than I ever have. The rose in this one is georgeous.

For more of a soliflore, my favorite is the well-loved Fleurs De The Rose Bulgare. It's longevity is a real plus.

I also like Rose D'Ete by Rosine. It smells like a yellow summery rose. It has an apple note I didn't translate as apple, but which makes it kind of juicy and summery.

Eau Rosee by Mariella Burani is a light rosy fragrance I like, but heard was being discontinued?

- Kathy -