Code of Conduct

Question Tea for Two - A dark scent?

Fall has come, at least in Germany. Thoughts are getting attracted to the dark side...

Would you describe Tea for Two (L'Artisan Parfumeurs) as a dark scent, i.e. a scent evoking melancholy, resignation, renunciation, "Weltekel"?

Thanks for your opinions.

Default Re: Tea for Two - A dark scent?

Nope. I would describe as cosy, warm and spicy. Like a pot of tea with honey and ginger.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Definitely not melancholy. The ginger makes it especially uplifting.

It's not dark and not melancholic. Iwould say Chanel Antaeus in the bottom and base notes becomes melancholic. Very nice for autumn - warmth of a burning candle

I would say Tea For 2 is vivid. It's good for autumn as well, but not for the melancholic mood. Tfor2 is wild, earthy, rainy, windy...
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Definitely not a dark scent. As the others ponited out it´s more a very smooth, spicy and warm scent that to me evokes images of a cosy and inspiring sunday afternoon tea get to gether with good friends. I am still in search for the dark melacholic and sad "weltekel" scent.....

Christian
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

To me, spicy yet dark and melancholy is FM's Noir Epices. It's a great fall scent. For lavender-based fall scents that are quite Northern-Europe autumn-melancholy, I like Gris Clair by Serge Lutens, it feels like standing on an Alpine hill in the mist, watching the clouds blow by and feeling the chilly damp air, utterly alone...(okay, it's quite a poetic scent to me, very Goethe).

I see it as dark... But melancholy? No!
    It's a refreshing, dry spicy smoked tea scent. I think it's perfect for fall exactly for those qualities.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

I don't see it as too dark. Possibly a little dark because it is mysterious but it is a very comfortable scent. It's deffinately appropriate for Fall/winter though.

As prior posters, I also do not think that it fully comes off as you have described in your question. Being that the smoked tea top note seems to disappear quickly on me, any chance of "darkness" in t42 is too fleeting, and shows its true nature as a rather smooth, yet provocative drydown. Nevertheless, I just purchased a full bottle for this latter quality.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

I wouldn't say it's dark, but I wouldn't call it bright either. It's a scent that implies warmth with its smokey characteristics. I think it's the perfect scent for cuddling by the fireplace on a winter night. It's quite tranquil IMO.

Smile Re: Tea for Two - A dark scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    (okay, it's quite a poetic scent to me, very Goethe).
    Well, you know he's looking at you right now...

Thrax

I got something sour out of it that I just didnt like. Could have been my decant though. It was'nt to my liking.

Theres nothing dark, mysterious, complex, or enchanting about T42 - its pretty simple really; it smells like good tea. If you like that smell, and want to smell of one, there is no better fragrance out there for it than Tea for Two.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    . . . I think it's the perfect scent for cuddling by the fireplace on a winter night. It's quite tranquil IMO.
    That's the very reason that I bought my bottle, but I was thinking more in lines of it being "perfect for watching a movie at home" w/ my SO.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

The smokiness of the tea and the warm spices make T-4-2 a dark scent in my mind, but dark as in warm, cozy, brown. It's not what I would call a melancholy scent. For dark and melancholy, Iquitos is the first one that comes to mind. Also, for some reason I find Luten's Encens et Lavande to be melancholy, but I'll take a guess that I'm in the minority with that opinion. Montale's Black Aoud is also dark and melancholy. Come to think of it, I find many of the men's rose scents to be a bit melancholy.