Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heliotrope/almond recommendations?

Hi,

yesterday I used my last drop of my Heliotrope shower gel by Etro and later then I applied the last drop of the EDC (or was it a EDT?). I don´t estimate heliotrope based scents as very complex frags but I love the note and I wonder if anyone has a recommendation of a rather inexpensive but good smelling heliotrope (or almond) based frag. To be honest I am not willing to spend another 80 EUR for another Heliotrope by Etro.

Thanks in advance,

Christian
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Heliotrope/almond recommendations?

I can't think of any that are particularly cheap. SMN's Eliotropio is excellent as is Mazzolari's Alesandro.

nearfantastica

Boucheron's Jaipur EDP/EDT has a very strong heliotrope presence and instantly comes to mind at the mere mention of the note. You might want to give it a go?

If you aren't familiar with the fragrance, it's a rather spicy, golden warm vanillic based fragrance that doesn't come off as too sweet. The heliotrope is quite prominent in the scent and helps round out the blend.

Hope this helps?

a.
    Last edited by nearfantastica; 8th October 2006 at 12:32 PM.

Dior`s Hypnotic Poison. Very A. Menardo like fragrance. Great.

It is completely wearable for men who can take a quite strong jasmin note.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Etro's Heliotroe a lot and if you don't want to spend lots of money, you can find the EdC most of the time on eBay germany as well as the fantastic Shower Gel. I read that there's a L'Artisan that smells almost the same, but that surely isn't quite that easy and cheap to get. I think it was Jour de Fete and scenteur7 made the connection.

Last year I fell in love with LT. Piver's 'Heliotrope Blanc', sold at Roja Dove's Urban Retreat in Harrods. You can say a lot about Mr. Dove but he has an impeccable taste. But: big surprise...they sell this also on the website of escentual.co.uk. 100 ml. e.d.t. at GBP 22,50. Shipping worldwide. Search under LT Piver, not under Piver!
    I used a lot of Etro's Heliotrope but I find Piver's a lot nicer.
    Happy hunting!

I love Jour de Fete, but it's more of a sugared almond than a 'raw' almond, and leans towards the feminine more than most of the l'Artisans. As Barry says, the Mazzolari is superb, but probably even more expensive than the Etro, I think? Profumum Antico Caruso dries down to a lovely almond, but that's spendy too. Of course, there's always Demeter's Play-doh, which should be cost-effective ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    Boucheron's Jaipur EDP/EDT has a very strong heliotrope presence and instantly comes to mind at the mere mention of the note. You might want to give it a go?

If you aren't familiar with the fragrance, it's a rather spicy, golden warm vanillic based fragrance that doesn't come off as too sweet. The heliotrope is quite prominent in the scent and helps round out the blend.

Hope this helps?

a.
    I can send you a decant of Jaipur EdT if you don't know it
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Dior`s Hypnotic Poison. Very A. Menardo like fragrance. Great.

It is completely wearable for men who can take a quite strong jasmin note.
    I second Hypnotic Poison - a very sexy frag, IMHO.

Christian,

Sorry I can't offer anything cheap nor particularly similar to Etro's Heliotrope (simply because I haven't sniffed it yet). But the most surprisingly amazing almondy scent I ever smelled is Caron's Farnesiana. The reason I say surprising is not because I am surprised Caron came up with yet another genius perfume, but rather because I would have never expected a perfume named after the cassie flower (a type of mimosa) to smell so almond and gourmand like. This is one of the finest fragrances ever!
    I think it's only available from the Caron urns, and I don't think there is a shower gel thouhg. But if you get a chance, try it by all means!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for all these very helpfull recommendations. I will try to test at least Jaipur, Heliotrope Blanc and Hypnotic Poison. I would die to get my hands on Farnesiana but unfortunately I will not make it to go to Paris this or the next year. After testing them I will share my thoughts on the board.

Thanks again,

Christian

P.S.: I had once a sample of Alessandro and you are right, it´s excellent. Unfortunately I gave it away....
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Post Thanks / Like

The only heliotrope/almond fragrance I'm familiar with is L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain for women. Some men wear this. I only wear a tiny dab before I go to sleep just to enjoy it for myself.