Code of Conduct

Default Are these designer knock-off scents worth a shot?

I was at the drug store today looking around a little bit, and I noticed that they have these different bottle of cologne that will say on the front something like "Our version of XXXXXXXX's XXXXXXXX". They have a similar box design to the original but just a different name of something.

I saw they had Acqua Di Gio, A*Men, Polo Black/Blue/Green, various Calvin Klein scents including Eternity, Obsession, One, Kenneth Cole Black and so on.

I'd seen examples of these before but never so many. And the best thing is that they are all only around ten dollars Canadian each.

I was thinking of grabbing the A*Men one which they call "Radiant" it has the exact same looking box, just the different name. I sprayed the tester on a card and honestly, it smelled to me pretty much exactly like A*Men does.

I'm worried though that maybe these are really poor quality scents and ie. it's going to turn on me after a couple months in the bottle, smells nice on top notes but the longevity/development of the scent are weak.

Basically, does anyone have any experience using any of these knockoff versions? I believe some of them go by a brand called "Classic Match". At a price like this, are they worth a shot or would I be better off to save my money for quality genuine stuff? Thanks.

Default Re: Are these designer knock-off scents worth a shot?

I would never use a knock off. I don't think it will ever turn out good for you. You save money but get crap so really you are just wasting money in the first place. I don't have any actual experience but I have been to Canal Street and seen some of the crap they have made.

I'd save my money if I were you...

Blog Entries

I use a knock-off Polo Blue, actually. It was only $11 for 3.4oz. It smells pretty decent, but it doesn't last very long. Heh, kind of like the original .

In a discussion about knock-off threads here once, someone (I can't remember who) brought up the good point that a knock off of a simple scent (like Polo Blue or AdG) would be better than a knockoff of a more complex scent. A*Men to me is a very complex scent, and there's no way some designer imposter brand could duplicate that, IMHO.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

The clones might smell similar to their mentors but the character is usually lacking in the long term. Better to get a few great scents that will be happily worn rather than tolerated. Its usually cheaper in the long run to sample the real deals, wear them for a few days and buy a few bottles of the ones you really like.

If you are new at this, you might like them.
    After you've developed some expertise at smelling and judging scents, you'll wonder "What was I thinking?", and throw them in the rubbish bin.

You are far, far better off scrounging sales for good designer scents that weren't successful, and which are thus being cleared for 10 or 20 dollars - they usually smell very much better than any copy scent.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    If you are new at this, you might like them.
    After you've developed some expertise at smelling and judging scents, you'll wonder "What was I thinking?", and throw them in the rubbish bin.
    That was my experience, and its still not so bad for starting out. I think the knock-off oils are a great way to get exposed to a wide array of frags. Some of them are quite good.

My wife still thinks the knockoff oil I got her of Shalimar blew the real thing out of the water. (She got a lot of compliments on the knockoff but none on the real deal for some reason.)
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I actually just bought Black Classic Match today by Belcam (belcam.ws to see their knock offs). It smells pretty similar to Polo Black. I actually enjoy it for what it is.. a cheap scent that smells relatively good. It was $7 for 2.5oz. If anything, it will be an excellent room freshener (actually already spritzed the room).
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

I have never bought a knockoff in lieu of the real thing; my purchases have always been for sheer laughs (e.g., "Macho" instead of Brut, "Spice Man" instead of Old Spice, "Crest" instead of Creed). Every knockoff I have smelled has either been very synthetic (obviously), or the similarity wore off very quickly.

That being said, I have heard that Classic Match does make some nice "inspired" creations.

Smile Re: Are these designer knock-off scents worth a shot?

No.I would Never use a knock-off. That's my Final Answer.

The biggest problem with the knock-offs is longevity. However, many people seem to like some of the knock-offs. You usually can take these back if it isn't up to snuff, so if you want to give it a shot, give it a shot.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Blog Entries

I got a knock off of Armani Code called "Smokin' Hot" from Target. It smells just like Armani Code (I've worn the real stuff before) and oddly enough, it holds the same. I just wore it around the house just in case the peppery spice turns into horse crap later on. At least I can shower it off. It's not bad, it just seemed a "bit" stronger than the real deal. I wouldn't SERIOUSLY add it to my rotation though. For me, it's almost like wearing fake Air Jordans out of the house. LOL. I suppose it's a slight upgrade from the Axe/Bod/Tag crap, not by much however.

Has anyone actually compared any particular one side by side .... on either wrist lets say ?

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    For me, it's almost like wearing fake Air Jordans out of the house.
    Or fake Nikes, with the upside down swoosh!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    Or fake Nikes, with the upside down swoosh!
    For sh*ts and giggles, I got a pair of fake Air Jordan 13's from a friend who went to the Philippines. Instead of a dunk, the Jordan logo looked like it was doing a layup.

I've bought a sample set of 40 vials of available perfume copies in Germany/Austria/Switzerlandf. I still haven't sniffed them out completely (Feminines most). Some just smell wonderful, and I remember that they copied Carven's Ma Griffe very well. I didn’t know it would be so easy for the industry to do it.

In 'The Perfect Scent' C. Burr lets Ellena tell a few details about it, and his own little tricks to fool the spectographs even. Nobody will get closer than 98% of the original formula, he says. That is a lot already. According to Ellena, all of the big players spy on each other, and analyse new perfumes as soon as they are released. None of them wants to talk about that, though. Of course they will never copy each other, but they can detect new chemicals and resources used in fragrance components. (Remember 'oranges' getting into more and more new fragrances in recent years ?)
    Last edited by narcus; 12th February 2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.