Code of Conduct

Default Deodorants for Young Guys

What deodorants are recommended for young, college guys? Do all edts have a similar smelling deodorant version, or are they completely different. I'm currently looking for scented one as my previous deodorant made my skin sting.

Default Re: Deodorants for Young Guys

If you are wearing cologne best to get an unscented one.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Either get an unscented one, or get one that's labeled "sensitive", those most often have less perfume.

I sometimes use normal deodorants as well, I have found one that's matching JPGs Le Male (and, to some small extent, Opium) quite okay, and there are some lemony deos that go well with M7 Fresh, for instance.

I have made the experience that deodorants which are sold complementary to a scent (e.g. Bvlgari pour homme) do not work very well. Maybe one should stick to those brands which are specialized in making deo-sticks, e.g. Nivea (at least in Germany). They make very effective unscented deodorants (effective = neutralize sweat etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    I have made the experience that deodorants which are sold complementary to a scent (e.g. Bvlgari pour homme) do not work very well. Maybe one should stick to those brands which are specialized in making deo-sticks, e.g. Nivea (at least in Germany). They make very effective unscented deodorants (effective = neutralize sweat etc.).
    Nivea is my favorite brand when it comes to deodorants. Highly effective, cost almost nothing and smell very very good. I think my favorite is called Dry, comes in a white bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I think my favorite is called Dry, comes in a white bottle.
    Exactly. "Dry" is what mine is called, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    Neutralize sweat? Are they deodorants or anti-perspirants? Coz I heard that you shouldn't use anti-perspirant as they stop the release of perspiration and sweat, which contain toxins. Toxins are supposed to be excreted out of the body.

I use Mitchum unscented roll on. Tis very effective and doesnt have any smell at all. Some unscented deos have a dreadful chemical smell.

I sometime use some of my colognes as deodorants, esp. those of which I have a 100ml+ bottle and don't like so much any more so I want to use them up quickly.. They are usually very effective. Don't use anti-perspirants as most of them contain aluminium salts which plug the sweat gland - no good for you, some say.

In addition, "Aluminium is a neurotoxin, it adversely affects the blood-brain barrier, it is capable of causing DNA damage and it has epigenetic effects... Aluminium salts are thought to have a role in causing breast cancer by interfering with the function of oestrogen receptors..." Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by reking
    Neutralize sweat? Are they deodorants or anti-perspirants? Coz I heard that you shouldn't use anti-perspirant as they stop the release of perspiration and sweat, which contain toxins. Toxins are supposed to be excreted out of the body.
    Thanks for this. I said "neutralize" because I meant: You don't smell sweat - which is of course "there" - when using this one. It is actually a deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess
    I sometime use some of my colognes as deodorants [...] They are usually very effective. [...]
    Maybe it's a question of "skin chemistry". Being here at basenotes.com I have learnt that "skin chemistry" is the deus ex machina. Just for the case any other explanation fails. ;-)

Default Re: Nivea Deodorants

The huge pity is that these aren't generally available in the US. The one time I did find them, they were in Marshall Field's Merz Apothecary section - and priced like gold ingots.

Every time I'm abroad, I stock up on a few. But in my experience, most deodorants (not antiperspirants) have a very weak sillage. They smell strong when you put them on, but the scent dies down very quickly. If I don't have Nivea, I use Adidas "Dyanmic Pulse" with no clashing problems with any fragrances.

That said, I do like to layer frag, so I also use L'eau d'Issey and CH 212 Men deodorants when I wear those scents.

Default Re: Nivea Deodorants

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line
    Every time I'm abroad, I stock up on a few. But in my experience, most deodorants (not antiperspirants) have a very weak sillage. They smell strong when you put them on, but the scent dies down very quickly. If I don't have Nivea, I use Adidas "Dyanmic Pulse" with no clashing problems with any fragrances.
    The Nivea Dry I'm talking about costs somewhere around $2.40 for 50ml. Using it everyday it takes about a month or so to finish one. Should be available online, but I haven't looked around...

the crystal stick or something similar. it's unscented, contains enzymes that kill the bacteria that make your pits stink. no aluminum or other assorted chemicals, just natural harmless enzymes. nothing else even comes close to its effectiveness.

I have an old spice original scent stick but it is antipersperent so it's the white one. It smells powdery, which works with many of my scents. I like to not sweat rather than have a deodorant that smells like the frag I am wearing...

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I have an old spice original scent stick but it is antipersperent so it's the white one. It smells powdery, which works with many of my scents. I like to not sweat rather than have a deodorant that smells like the frag I am wearing...
    I do exactly the same thing. I've found the original scent actually has a bit of a note pyramid itself, as it has a very sweet/gourmand accord by the end of the day. It has been more effective than any other antiperspirant/deodorant I've tried.

I also use the Crystal Stick with great success. I use it in the shower and let it air dry before applying Mitchum unscented antiperspirant.

I'm currently using a Mitchum unscented antiperspirant/deodorent. It works pretty well. I didn't realize it was a gel when I bought it though; I used to use only solid sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by reking
    I think not having sweaty stains on your armpits is worth have a little extra toxins in me. Your body is constantly releasing vapor, whether you're actually sweating or not, and the amount that comes out of your armpits is probably negligable.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    I think not having sweaty stains on your armpits is worth have a little extra toxins in me. Your body is constantly releasing vapor, whether you're actually sweating or not, and the amount that comes out of your armpits is probably negligable.
    I am not aware of any research that indicates any detrimental effects of using antiperspirant versus deodorant. I think it is most likely an urban myth, and doesn’t hold water at all scientifically. Sure, sweat is good, but this whole “release of toxins” nonsense is ridiculous. In just a cursory review on Medline I was able to find some studies which linked antiperspirant use to an increased risk for rash and inflammation in some people (mostly due to clogged sweat glands leading to acne), but there was no associations with any other kind of toxic reaction or pathology. Antiperspirants are fine, and worn by millions of men each day.
    Slim
    (Dr. Drypits, Mitchum salesman)

I'm twenty-one and a first year Stanford grad student and I've been using the alcohol-free Eau d'orange verte deoderant spray from Hermès since puberty. When I need something less subtle I reach for Body Kouros and M7 from Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche.

I think that the Deo version of Escape for men is very "young" but classier than most of the younger or pharmacy-store deos. It's not very much a deo and not an anti-perspirant so it's very nice for a semi hot-do nothing much kind of day, but certainly not fine for excercising.

The plesures for men deo is a bit sharper and not as young as escape but it's nice as well.

The fahrenheit spray deo is very nice but i don't know if you like that kind of smell, it's not a dead-ringer for the edt (as most deos do not smell like the original edts) but it's sort of close and its very fresh, this one may sting the skin too.