Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any civet fans out there?

i guess if you love that powerhouse smell of the 80's.. i would never wear anything with it. too animalistic and unappealing to me and the under 40 women..

SOTD: Al Oudh. 12 of my 34 five-star favorites have a prominent civet and/or castoreum note. Yeah, I'm a fan

In small doses it can add a good dark muskyness to a scent like in Leather Oud or the basenotes of Givenchy Gentleman.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

That is probably why I have enjoyed Givenchy Gentlemen for so many years. I remember in the early 90's when I would get compliment after compliment while wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    In small doses it can add a good dark muskyness to a scent like in Leather Oud or the basenotes of Givenchy Gentleman.
    Thanks for that! Got both BUT never thought about the two together..gotta try..

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    My favs:

Van Cleef and Arpels First
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    +1 on the above.
    Much like hearing a piece of music that can instantly take you back to a certain time and place, the faintest trace of a fragrance can evoke strong memories and powerful reactions from within.-Roja Dove

Also like Mouchoir de Monsieur

I like civet in fragrances but have never smelled it as a single note. I would love to smell it that way some day.

If the civet in Mouchoir de Monsieur counts, then I can also call myself somewhat of a civet fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindbrain View Post
    But you see most fragrances out there are made to attract the person who is going to wear it or buy it. Sure, they will advertise it as being attractive to the opposite sex but it's really made to attract you, the potential buyer! Because you are the one who's going to pay the money for it. So you got to be the one who needs to be pleased with the product.

So all of those axe products for instance are out there to attract men.....not women! Because of marketing, people got it twisted by spinning it the other way around.

Like George Carlin (RIP) said at one time or another at one of his shows (I can't remember the exact words), "Do you really think by putting on some green shit that comes from a bottle or smelling like a pine tree will get you laid?"
    Carlin was wrong, because it did. Repeatedly.

- - - Updated - - -

Andron was by far the best civet scent I have ever known, reacting off of the other notes to make a full-bodied and lasting scent. Andron was advertised as including pheromones as well. All I know is that it smelled amazing and nothing has touched it since.

I have no idea how civet actually smells, but my all time favourite fragrances seem to feature it : Givenchy Gentlemen and Monsieur Lanvin (if only I could get hold of a bottle - its been 26 years since I last had it). and +1 for Mouchoir for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by midsbloke View Post
    I have no idea how civet actually smells, but my all time favourite fragrances seem to feature it : Givenchy Gentlemen and Monsieur Lanvin (if only I could get hold of a bottle - its been 26 years since I last had it). and +1 for Mouchoir for me too.
    Smells like crap. And I am not joking: make people smell a blotter with a drop of it and tell them it is use in perfume - making. They won't believe you, they will think you are pulling their leg.

There is not a chance you can be a lover of civet. It is so strong you have to handle it in minimal quantities. If you drop it, you can ruin your whole lab. If you open a bottle of civet eo, you'll have to take some measures, for it can ruin your sense of smell for some time.

OK, so, let assume you are a lover of civet - based fragrances: I take that you are a lover of animalic - accord scents. Good. Now, why using crap in perfume making? In order to improve floral notes, that is what civet is for.

Thus, I guess you must be looking for blends with heavy floral - animalic accords?

Kouros is the only one comming to mind. There must be something else, guess Mouchoir, but I never tried it.

As I have said before, I'd bathe in civet, like Cleopatra did with milk.

My bottles of Obsession, Guerlain Vetiver, Shalimar & especially Tom Ford Noir are always just an arms reach away.
    Last edited by Arij; 27th November 2013 at 09:45 PM.

I love civet. There needs to be more civet in men's fragrances.