Code of Conduct

Default I need help with choosing a new fragrance.

I've been in love with colognes ever since I was a little boy (Not that I'm actually a grown man, I'm only 18 years old =P), I've bought a lot of these "in" colognes, but none of them seems to strike me as GREAT.

Except Boss number 6, which I love.

I own Lacoste's Style in Play now, I loved it at first, but now it does not seem to last that long on me; maybe my nose is playing tricks on me or something.

Anyway, I was thinking of buying a new scent, I plan on having a big collection eventually =P

So my choices are:

Tommy for him (I remember liking it when I was 10, dunno now.)
    Dolce and Gabbana PH
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Gucci PH or Envy
    A*Man

I'm not even sure of what I want, I just know that I want a great smelling cologne that will last me for quite a while; I'm kind of a newbie =P

Colognes I've already worn that I do not plan on buying again:

Boss in motion
    Hugo
    Polo Sport
    Armani White (maybe I'll buy it sometime)
    a lot of Benetton fragrances.

This girl friend I have absolutely adores Acqua di Gio and Tommy Freedom, but I think they smeel too generic-ish.

So, after this long post, I'd like to hear some suggestions, please.

(First post, yay!)

Default Re: I need help with choosing a new fragrance.

An 18 year old can't go wrong with these:

Polo Blue
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Claiborne Sport
    Estee Lauder Pleasures

all of these last a long time on me even though some may report that they don't last on them.

A*Men is a cool one, but I don't think it's practical for day to day use.

Gucci PH I wasn't super fond of, not bad but not amazing. Smells just like a church, strong incense smell as it opens. It's really subjective, but I personally think this scent is more suited for someone older. I'm 20 and I really don't feel that comfortable wearing it.

D&G PH is decent, but at least here where I live, it's one of the most common colognes so many people wear it.

I think Gucci Envy is a great choice in my opinon. I just picked up a 100ml bottle of it a few days ago. It smells great, lasts a long time, and the price on it is pretty reasonable as well. And it's not very common at all which is something big for me personally and I think should be a factor. I want my scent to set me apart from the guys to my left and right, not so I blend in perfectly.

Yeah, thing is, here in Mexico there aren't lots of people that use cologne, and even fewer that do in my age range =P

I don't think I have ever smelled D&G on anyone, nor any of the others, for that matter.

I was thinking of eventually buying A*men for special ocassions.

Also, I cannot sample any of these colognes, sucks to be in Mexico >_>

Maybe Gucci Rush too? I don't really know.

Follow acehimself's advices and consider these ones:
    - Forget about Guerlain Vetiver. It's acquired taste. You'll have trouble with its tobacco/spicy notes. And even if you like it some of your friends probably won't...
    - Claiborne Sport is a nice fresh scent, just be careful with its earthy base note...
    My recommendations:
    - definetely Polo Blue
    - Polo Black
    - Ferrari Red
    - Davidoff Echo
    - Azzaro Chrome

One of my friends already has Polo Black, so I don't really want it.

Any opinions on Burberry's Touch?

I'm probably buying either Touch, or Envy, or D&G.

Thanks a lot guys, you're really helpful!

Blog Entries

I'd suggest...

Burberry Brit
    Azzaro Chrome
    Clinique Happy
    Kenneth Cole Reaction

And you should get a bottle of the original Tommy. Great fragrance .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thrax

First suggestion is to stay away from Guerlain Vetiver. I'd go with everything CologneJunkie suggested, as well as the Polo Blue. Good stuff indeed. I'd say Paris Hilton is a damn good bet as well my friend. I love it to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanamichi
    I've been in love with colognes ever since I was a little boy (Not that I'm actually a grown man, I'm only 18 years old =P)
    Ok then - leave behind the amateurish and super cloying A*Men and graduate to the manly Guerlain Vetiver to refine your taste.
    -

I'm mid 20's.

I currently wear Gucci Envy, as well as Floris Santal, which I do not some similarities between. I find the Envy to be a heavier, sensual scent, while the Santal is a lighter, more "get down to business". Some say the Envy is an older man's scent, but I find that I can wear it quite appropriately.

I also wear Creed Himalaya, which may be a bit too pricey, but I really really like XS, which led me to the Himalaya. I think you ought to give XS a try.

As for some different things- L'Eau D'Issey Bleue- for a heavier scent that gets me compliments, and is not worn by anyone else I have met. Lolita Lempicka for Men, if you can handle the anise note (I find the opening too much, but the drydown is great).

So I'd give Envy a try, XS a try, Polo Black a try, and maybe consider Silver
    Mountain Water, Himalaya.... and even Armani Code Black (which I find is a great scent, just a little too common where I'm at).

The Guerlain Vetiver is a strictly smell before buy scent, IMO, as I don't think I would have considered it when I was 18.

As another 18 year old college student, here's my word of advice.

College girls dig fresher scents, not heavy, smooth, sweeter scents. Most of them, at least. Even most of the classy ones. I dunno about you, but I'm all about girls with <i>class</i>. D&G PH is the one you want. I love Envy myself, but I find that most girls our age do not. I had some (totally unclassy, hollister clothed, VS for her drenched) girl in my hall check out my collection, and her favorite one was the Hollister Jake. Guess Man was "okay". She said the rest were eh, and she said that Gucci Envy smelled like something an old man would wear. In fact, so did every guy on my floor. And these guys at least have some class. If it's the girls you're mainly wearing it for, go with D&G PH. I suppose A*Men would work too, but on my skin it turns to rubbish, and most people I've shown it to are put off by it. I haven't smelled Vetiver, so I can't say. But between the other four, Gucci PH is probably too "strong/woody/spicy/old man," and Envy is just too "old man."
    Gucci Rush would do well from what I've heard of it. As long as the scent has some citrus top notes and a SUBTLY woody base, most girls will go for it. The peppery note in D&G PH, and whatever else is in it besides the fruit, makes it really unique to me, too. Particularly for college. Everyone else is wearing ADG and Fierce, I haven't smelled PH once. Um yeah.. I'm talking this topic to death, but I'd definitely go with D&G PH.
    Also, check out Guess Man and Allure Homme Sport for SURE. Two other things that basically all college girls, and girls of all ages, will melt over.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    . . .College girls dig fresher scents, not heavy, smooth, sweeter scents. Most of them, at least. . . As long as the scent has some citrus top notes and a SUBTLY woody base, most girls will go for it. . . .
    Along those lines of thought, then perhaps Terre d'Hermès?

Prominent notes: Grapefruit, vetiver, pepper, cedar, benzoin and patchouli.

How about the new YSL?
    Last edited by zeram1; 11th October 2006 at 06:58 AM.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

¡Hola, y bienvenido al club !

As for your query, I don't personally lump either Gucci PH or Envy into the canon of traditional colognes ... they're far too complex and extravagant for such categorisation but they would be a great addition to your collection regardless.

As for Angel Man, I think it's only good if you're looking to smell like a steamy trash bin on a hot Summer day. ('A`)>

Y voy de acuerdo con lo del Vetiver de Guerlain, if you're familiar with it already and enjoyed it then there's really nothing better in terms of a great first foray into the Guerlain archive. I used to wear it in my teens and while I loved it then, I'm not particulary keen with smelling like a pot of wet soil anymore. I've moved on to Vétyver by Roger & Gallet now.

Estas son mis recomendaciones para cualquier hombre de dieziocho años:

Numero Uno by Carthusia
    Via Verri by Etro
    Monsieur Balmain by Balmain
    Rochas Lui by Rochas
    Aqua Fitness by Biotherm
    Scent by CoSTUME NATIONAL
    Aqua di Parma by ADP
    Troisieme Homme by Caron
    Panama 1924 by Boellis
    TL pour Lui by Ted Lapidus

Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien and Citron Citron from Miller Harris make a very effecttive first cologne as well.

Suerte,
    Kethan

Have you tried the new Armani Remix or Sergio Tacchini Feel good?