Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What fragrances did you wear as an adolescent?

I'm pretty new here so I apologise in advance if this has already been discussed but I'm too lazy to troll through the thousands of threads already on here. But essentially this is a very basic question: What were your preferred fragrances as a young man?

These are the perfumes I wore in my teens (In exact order):

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal
    Belami by Hermès
    Xeryus by Givenchy
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel
    Angel Men by Thierry Mugler
    Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier
    Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy
    Paco by Paco Rabanne
    Jako by Karl Lagerfeld
    Kumquat Alhambra by Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Rocabar by Hermès
    Coriolan By Guerlain
    Petits et Mamans by Bvlgari
    Jil Sander For Man by Jil Sander
    D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana
    Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo
    Rykiel Homme by Sonia Rykiel
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent
    Mat; Male by Masakï Matsushïma
    Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Personally, my first real foray into fine fragrances was through my parent's who from birth showered me in Annick Goutal's Hadrien and it wasn't until Mugler's Angel Men which I expressly requested and received as a birthday present when I turned ten in 1995 that I joined the ranks of the congnisant devotees of haute parfums. Through Angel I think, I developed what would become the rudimentary palette though which I still classify all fragrances and perhaps why to this day I continually delegate this pefume into the explicit realm of childhood and whimsy as I've yet to meet a man who can wear it without affectation. To me it belongs exclusively to the "Petit Princes" and I will hopefully one day pass it on to children of my very own. That's not to say that I haven't developed my olfactive patina beyond A*MEN, it's just that that is what marked my Anno Domini into the world or fragrance, it was my Magna Carta.

After Angel and as the mid-nineties dictated, I was turned on to Gaultier's Le Mâle which I never quite wholly took to because of it's unfuriatingly diaphanous quality and by puberty I'm afraid, I was already used to being noticed and for a while became an exclusive patron to Hermès to placate those demands. My first real signature didn't come until 1998's Coriolan by Guerlain, this at a time when my friends where all still wearing CK One. Years past, new fragrances came and went and I remained faithful to that highly inflective citric chypre, which I still do to this day. It's been long discontinued now of course but I'm always on the move trying to source even more flaçons from whatever avenues available to me so I won't anticipate ever being without it. Where Angel was my Magna Carta, albeit a very childish one at that, then Coriolan became my Declaration of Independence into adolescence.

Now, I recently turned twenty-one so I'm at a point in my life where I'm looking for that next great fragrance to serve as the masthead for my early twenties. As I no longer have the similar redolent affinity for many of the fragrances I used to wear as a teen, I'm now inflated with a waxy nostalgia for the 'scentual' history of my youth (Gosh I sound like I'm a dinosaur don't I?!). In my quest to find this future hallmark I've acquired and built a rather extensive dossier of perfumes that have yet to yield a desirous heir. I thought for a while that Laura Tonatto's Albi would be it but there's a growing disassociation between the fragrance and where I'm at in my life right now, similarly with Gucci Pour Homme which for me has become too much of a good thing. Where I stand now it's between Shu Uemura's 029 and Numero Uno from Carthusia but the latter makes me feel greatly unworthy of it's luscious notability. For me, a fragrance is more than just a series of accords or an entry into a designer's prestigious stock, it's far greater than that; It's an invisible appendage that connects me to the time and place which I'd like to boomark certain parts of my life forever to. Such was the purpose in my writing this, to quite simply relate my story and discover other's adolescent history in the world of perfume.

So what were your preferred fragrances as a young man?

Always,
    Kethàn
    Last edited by eau-k; 11th October 2006 at 10:30 AM.

Post Re: What fragrances did you wear as an adolescent?

Great post eau-k!

My first two real scents were Le Roy Soleil and Eau Sauvage. I was 15. I'm afraid my affection for LRS had something to do with the fact I loved Dali's art back then. I remember testing fragrances, I was very unsure of my own taste. It's a strange feeling not knowing what you like. Six years passed, I didn't have many scents during that time. Three years ago I had a chance to buy fragrances tax free, I wanted some information about the scents available, and found Basenotes by accident. I ended up buying Mugler Cologne; I sampled it carefully due to the great reviews here. I loved it, and still do. This was very important moment in my history with fragrances.

I think it was getting my hands on Frederic Malle's line that made me a real enthusiast. This happened over two years ago. L'Eau de Hiver was the first niche scent I sampled, it blew me away. I also got to test Vetiver Extraordinnaire, Musc Ravageur, Bigarade Concentree and Angeliques Sous la Pluie. I understood that there is more to the world of fragrances I had tought. I think my appreciation for niche in general has something to do with the first contact I had with it. Soon after I ordered samples of several LV, MPG, L'Artisan, Diptyque and Czech & Speake scents. After that, there was no turning back.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 11th October 2006 at 09:50 AM.

Default Re: What fragrances did you wear as an adolescent?

Great post, I enjoyed reading your story. I'll share mine, in case anyone is interested. As a young lad, I splashed on a little of my fathers old spice now and then, and sniffed at my mothers No. 5, 4711, and a few others. My friends parents collected miniatures and I used to secretly sniff them when no-one was looking!

My first experiece with a proper perfume came at the age of 17 when a family friend brought me back a bottle of R de Capucci from the states. I could not beleive the quality of this and treasured it, usuing it very sparingly.

As time rolled on I tried many colognes throughout my twenties, and enjoyed many, all quality designer scents, but I was always hankered after my R. Nothing quite matched. By the time I made a concerted effort to find it, it was not available over here. During this time, I beacame very interested in aromatherapy and aquired a large collection of oils, which has now run down. Finally , in my late twenties, I found some R and proceeded to wear it for five years straight, during which time I discovered ebay and went into full hoarding mode. I have a cupboard full of the stuff to this day.

Eventually, I started to get a little tired of it. However, I loved the quality and exclusive (over here) nature of it. I got lots of compliments and enquiries as to what I was wearing. I looked for variety from the same designer and discovered Capucci pour Homme which I bought and wore too. And then a few others came back to me, chacherel pour homme and more. I went through a few bottles. Now I had the variety bug, and also wanted to know what I was smelling. I started to research on the internet. I first discovered basenotes a year or so before I started posting. I didn't dare bookmark it as I knew my addictive nature would kick in. Gradually, I slid down that slippery slope.....to here! So while my love of scents goes back twenty years and more, my education is only two years old.

Now, I'm off to spray on some......
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 11th October 2006 at 10:03 AM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I was a kid of the Eighties -- what can I say? My tastes ran from the expensive to the drugstore, and I wore a little bit of everything. Some of them I still wear today; two (i.e., Canoe, One Man Show) from the list below are now a bit of an embarrassment. But here, in all candor, is the list I can remember:

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior
    Polo by Ralph Lauren
    Pour Monsieur by Chanel
    Antaeus by Chanel
    Canoe by Dana
    Leonard Pour Homme by Leonard
    Burberry's (the original) by Burberry's
    One Man Show by Jacques Bogart
    Francesco Smalto by Francesco Smalto
    Perry Ellis (original) by Perry Ellis
    Monogram by Ralph Lauren
    Versailles by Jean Desprez (sadly, now discontinued)

I don't understand why One Man Show is so reviled here, while I agree that it connotes the soap-on-a-rope yuppie eighties, I find that it translates very well to today. I mean there are newer fragrances from more distinguished houses which pale in comparison. Now, I've never actually worn it but I have fond memories of men in my life who did. It's still quite popular in Israel and the Middle East. To me it will forever signify the smell of opening Hanukkah presents as a little boy. Along with Azzaro, Ferre, and Jacomo, it's what I think of when I remember the 1980's (The little that I can remember).

I'm ashamed to say that I doused myself in Raw Vanilla (coty). It seemed like a good idea at the time; furthermore, I was encouraged to use it by girls who claimed to like it.

Thank goodness I've moved on.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I wore only Guerlain's Vetiver. I remember those old bottles and I would buy the big ones from the duty free shop in Paris! This was of course, 20 years ago.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Man, this thread will date a poster pretty quickly! And I can't believe people born in 1985 are already speaking about their adolescence in the past tense! Let's see...in my early teens: Polo, Eternity, Colours, more Polo, Tommy, Obsession, and of course, Polo. Our Jr. High dances were like a sea (or swamp) of Polo. You could see and feel the stuff as it hung in the air.

robyogi...that is too funny. I remember those days of Polo, when that's all anyone wore and all the girls gave it as gifts and my moms gave it for Christmas and all of my friends gave me bottles as well. I think at one point I had 7 bottles. I don't think I ever wore it! My cologne back then was Guerlain's Imperiale...that's it!

I am making up for lost time now.

I usually wore guerlain's imperiale, 4711, tosca, r&g's extra vieille, but i don't consider any of them my first frags. i always wanted to smell "sharp" and most of all clean and fresh.

Some of these are embarrassing, but here they are. I'm 40 so this is a loooong time ago:
    Blue Stratos
    Coty Musk for Men
    Bonne Belle Skin Musk for Men
    Jovan Sex Appeal
    Calvin
    Halston 1-12
    and last but not least.....
    Kouros
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Old Spice by Shulton (1937)
    English Leather by Dana (1949)
    Canoé by Dana (1936)
    CG

I don't feel so bad now that someone mentioned
    English Leather.

My dad actually had custom cologne mixed by a fellow Erne in Scottsdale AZ.

Jovan Musk was the one I remember most. I also wore English Leather, and Old Spice but they actually belonged to my father.

Ok, time to date myself too. I was a teen throughout the 70s, and my mother was into Avon products. So, as you can imagine, she gifted my father with many different examples of "collectible" Avon aftershaves and colognes, some of which I occasionally slapped on, even if my Dad never did. Specifically, I remember the Pony Post Tail, which held Tribute aftershave (1966).

This was followed by a spin with the Oland aftershave, packaged in the vintage stagecoach design (1970).

One of my final teen Avon memories was with the Windjammer aftershave that was packaged in the glass golf cart with golf clubs (1972).

Aside from these Avon scents, I also would occasionally wear Brut, Old Spice, all Jovan Musk for Men, all of which my Dad had but rarely wore.

I was 18 in 1980 when I went away to college in California, and it was there that I branched out in scents, and started to wear Chaps, Azzaro Pour Homme, Jacomo de Jacomo, and Halston Z-14 and I-12.

Jeff

Avon Wild Country in a blue racecar bottle was my first frag ever. I was like 9 or 10.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

There was a Bonne Bell Skin Musk for Men????

I'm pretty miffed I missed out on that!

('A`)>

Well let me go back further than any of you.
    There was nowhere near the varied scents back when I was an adolescent.
    When I was about 16 years old (c 1963) I bought a cologne named "Dante" in my local mens shop. It was a spicy heavy kind of brew. I thought it was the classiest thing going and my girl at the time loved it. In later years moved on to Canoe, Brut, and even later Grey Flannel then for a long time Vetiver Guerlaine and Vetiver Carven. Before my foray into the exotic world of BN I wore Bulgari pour Homme. But these were as a young adult.

My best friend in first grade used to have an aftershave that we would play barbershop with that was housed in a garish tire-shaped flaçon made of cheap brown glass that was called "Big Wheel" that I absolutely loved. The stuff itself was pretty amazing and for the longest time growing up I wanted very badly to find it for myself but alas, it too was a product of the late seventies. It was until 2000 when I discovered Abercrombie & Fitch Woods that I was able to effectively replicate it in my nose's mind, but that too has now been pulled out of production.

Puft.

Sorry, this was in response to Wicozani's comment.
    Last edited by eau-k; 11th October 2006 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eau-k
    There was a Bonne Bell Skin Musk for Men????

I'm pretty miffed I missed out on that!

('A`)>
    Yep, there sure was. I went through more bottles of it than anything else.

As a teen....
    1. Halston Z-14
    2. Brut
    3. Jovan Musk Oil and Sex Appeal
    4. Pierre Cardin
    5. English Leather
    In my 20's....
    1. Lagerfeld
    2. Pour Monsieur by Chanel
    3. Devin
    4. Aramis
    5. Obsession for Men
    6. Polo and Polo Crest
    Gary

These were basically my teenage smellies, starting from the first I got when I turned 14:
    YSL Jazz
    CK Obsession 4men
    Versace Versus
    Chanel Antaeus
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Givenchy Insensé
    JPG Le Male
    Atkinson Hunter
    Cacharel PH
    Chanel Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée
    Cerruti 1881
    Chanel Egoiste
    Kenzo PH

The first one I wore was Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur. I recently smelled it again and was surprised that it seemed pretty good still; not enough for me to buy a bottle, but not remembered as being an embarrassment either.

I also wore Halston Z-14 and eau Sauvage (which have also gone by the wayside, for no particular reason) as well as Guerlain Habit Rouge and Vetiver, which I still wear.

Hey, I was born in 1985 too. Those were the years, huh?

Boy, you know, BACK IN THE DAY... I used to only wear classics. CLASSICS, I tell you, son, CLASSICS! Of that day, at least - but I doubt a youngin' like you would understand. Time has moved on and so has the world. I remember a time way back when, all I wore were these:

CK Escape
    Ralph Lauren Romance
    Acqua di Gio
    L'Eau D'Issey

Yeah, it was ages ago that I became interested into fragrances - oh, maybe a-many 5 years ago in '00. You remember those years? Yeah, those were the good years. But those old, long-forgotten, stone-aged days are good and gone and I've moved past these fragrances. I always keep them around though for old times sake. You know what I'm saying, sonny? Smelling each one reminds me of a different time in my oh-so-long life. Sigh. The memories.

Where has the time gone?

Man... back in the day.......

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    You know what I'm saying, sonny? Smelling each one reminds me of a different time in my oh-so-long life. Sigh.
    Funny.

I actually got into the smelly thing in middle school (albeit briefly)... my first scent was Gap Dream.

I returned to the smelly thing in high school... I wore Acqua di Gio for a while. That was until I told my aide to stop wearing that stinky Jovan White Musk. We came to a "deal"... I could only wear my Acqua di Gio if she wore her Jovan White Musk, so I stopped wearing smellies for about three years.

After I graduated from high school, I got back into the smelly game. As AdG was becoming overused, I re-started with Mugler Cologne, which is still in my collection today.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by DJB
    Avon Wild Country in a blue racecar bottle was my first frag ever. I was like 9 or 10.
    Oh man, this and Jeff's post totally brought back some forgotten days. I had some Avon scents as well, though that would have been before adolescence, almost into childhood. The little blue racecar. It was bought for me more because of the car shape than for anything it contained. I also remember an uncle of mine giving me a bottle of aftershave when I was about 10. Being human, not sasquatch, I wasn't doing much shaving those days.

Hai Karate
    Old Spice
    Brut
    Mennen Skin Bracer

ckBe
    Nautica Competition (the original one - this was my sig for years)
    Polo Sport

My first regular fragrance I wore as a teen was Azzaro Pour Homme. I later experimented with Obsession, Polo, Eternity, etc. In college I exclusively wore Tsar. Eventually I found Basenotes, which gave my nose a lesson as to what it had been missing.

Coincidentally, I read a review just the other day in which someone said they were given a bottle of a notoriously pungent, potent fragrance on their tenth birthday. TEN?! You've gotta be kidding me!

...I didn't wear any fragrance as an adolescent...

I only remember a few of 'em that I wore "back then": aftershaves, the Aqua Velva fragrances, Redwood was my favorite! But also, Menthol Mist, which I actually still have right here, with a little bit of juice left. There were 2 more, but I don't remember the names. And in my LATE teens (or was it early 20's) I wore Woodhue. (Don't be jealous.) I also remember one called "Burnished Leather".
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

I was obsessed with Faberge West - early - mid 70's. A fragrance as macho as Brut, but quite different smelling.

Evidently it was discontinued in the 80's. I've bought 2 or 3 bottles on eBay, but they're too old now and the core esscence of the fragrance has gone, so it's a smell that only exists in memory now.

(What do those companies do with those discontinued lines? They must keep the formulas for the scents so they can be made at a later date - surely.)

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I may be dating myself here, but her's my list of youthful favorites:

Old Spice, 4711, Canoé, Zizanie.

Can you guess my generation? We used to buy "colognes" at the drugstore...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Talking Re: What fragrances did you wear as an adolescent?

Being an old codger of 48 I too remember getting cologne at the drugstore.
    I think my very first was brut aftershave. Then there was Jovan Musk, Jovan Grass Oil, Jovan Ginsing ( my fave). I always used Herbal Essence shampoo in those days as well. Then I got really sophisticated and graduated to Paco Robanne. Halston 1-12 was my signature scent for some time. That was in the days when my dad let me drive his 63 Impala and wondered why my breath smelled like beer and there were cornstalks stuck to the underside of his car the next morning. My expertise was in making and eating space brownies back then. Thus the cornstalks.

Great thread

Rick

In the mid-1960's, I had two: Canoe and Scoundrel For Men. This Scoundrel was some 20 years prior to the Scoundrel for women by Revlon. The Scoundrel for Men I bought at a Men's Clothing Store in North Georgia. I would pay much $$$$100's to find it again. Don't know who made it, but I think it was marketed by one of the mens shirt mfrs. D&G's Masculine reminds me of it, but still misses the mark. Searched ebay, everywhere; it's a lost treasure.

Azzaro pour Homme
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme

Bought both of them at fifteen years old with my own money. They smelled great and helped me to wake up so I could get my ass down to the school I was supposed to be at.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd February 2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: butterbur rhizome

Jovan Musk. I wore it for years, until I grew up and developed better taste.

S

Wella Balsam and Dial. Once a week. Whether I needed it or not.

Blog Entries

I used to sneak sprays of the bottle of California my dad kept at his desk @ church when I was little .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

in rough order...
    -pierre cardin (the one in the phallic bottle)
    -oleg cassini (wish i could find a bottle of that)
    -polo
    -grey flannel
    -clinique (i think it was tailoring. it was the cologne they launched when they launched their first men's skincare line, ca. 1984 or so - yellow juice in a clear apothecary-shaped atomizer bottle. smells along the lines of eau sauvage or eau d'hadrien...)
    -nino cerruti PH
    -parfum de must de cartier
    -antaeus
    -a phase where i wore vanilla oil and vanilla oil mixed with china musk oil.
    -my mom and sister had a custom scent made for me based on my affinity for the musk/vanilla combo

then i started wearing less frag IIRC. until gendarme came out. and there must have been something i was wearing between that and demeter fig leaf and l'eau d'issey, but i can't remember.

anyway, in my late 20s, i simultaneously started riding a motorcyle, and discovered CdG Odeur 53, which I thought was made for me. i then wore only CdG frags until my sister bought me another bottle of long lost Nino Cerrutti PH, with a bit of flirting with gucci rush and azaro orange tonic.

that brings me up to date -- discovered the concept of niche fragrances just recently after an obsession with wet shaving led me circuitously to BN. I've been buying decants of niche stuff like crazy, and just realized today that i'm not liking a lot of them, so I have to start whitteling down the collection. Since i'm being a bit long winded, i'll continue and share that the mainstays of the collection are going to be: Dior Homme; Cuiron; Encense et Lavande; fumerie turque; gendarme; CdG White; jean Pascal; No 88; and maybe a few MPG's (centaure, santal noble, l'habit) and SMN's (nostalgia, cuba, maresciala) thrown in. Still undecided about the diptyques, LV's, and goutals that i thought i want.

fwiw,
    baald

Paco Rabonne
    Pierre Cardin
    Aramis
    Last edited by sniffman; 17th October 2009 at 12:54 PM.
    thread reviver

I'm only 20, so this will be a bit different than the others.

I started with Axe Kilo and Phoenix - and still have fond memories of spraying on the Kilo. My first proper EdT was DKNY Be Delicious Men which I picked up shortly after it's launch and still love. My addiction was solidified when I placed my first decant order containing the following.

Escada Sunset Heat for Men
    Rochas Man
    Paco Rabanne XS
    Arpege Pour Homme
    Burberry London
    Burberry Weekend
    cK truth
    A*Men
    Versace Blue Jeans
    Millisime Imperial
    YSL Live Jazz

And now, here I am with 120 or so full bottles. I work to pay for college tuition and fragrances.

These are some of the fragrances I wore as a teen:
    Chanel Antaeus
    Santos de Cartier
    Guerlain Habit Rouge edc
    YSL Korous
    Christian Dior Jules
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
    Lagerfeld

My first fragrance was the classic cheapie, Pierre Cardin. From there I moved on to primarily Santos and Antaeus.

Brut
    Aramis
    Eau Savage
    Canoe
    Zizanie
    English Leather
    Agua Lavanda
    Hai Karate Spice
    Last edited by ortho123; 17th October 2009 at 01:26 PM.

I first received Salvador Dali PH as a gift when I was 14, so instantly, I became the wearer of a frag, which few "average teenagers" would use, since it was way too edgy, mature, conservative and "dark" for my age, but this is what made me stand out back then
    Then, I fell for the mania of cheapo frags, so I discovered Adidas, but in my defense I only wore Classic and Dynamic from this brand
    Also, I had the now discontinued New Spirit by Oriflame, which was basically a low cost version of the more famous AdG
    Furthermore, I used back then what i don't use now any longer, the ghastly Paco Energy by Paco Rabanne, which oddly attracted me back then, because it smelled pretty good out of the tester, but at best mediocre, once it came into contact with my skin
    So... it was basically a story of trial and error

Aramis
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur

I hated the Cardin back then... thought it smelled of soap.

I still have this image of Aramis as a teen scent, though, and I can't get past that to this day. I remember meeting a woman who wore it when I was in my 20s.... and it smelled great on her! But I still would never consider wearing it myself.... I should try it again since it gets so much love here.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Nothing but the afterglow of either Lifebouy or Dial soap until about 16. Then a moderate splash of Aqua Velva or the like on rare occasion after a 'shave' before a date--as though I really needed to shave at 16 with my light beard. It was only about 3 years ago, after serendipitously landing on Basenotes during some long forgotten non-fragrance related Internet search, that I decided to add fragrances to my life. I now find it hard to believe I didn't know what I had been missing!
    Last edited by kbe; 17th October 2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

My first was Bjorn Borg Signature (wine red bottle).

Then there were:
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT by Guerlain
    Borsalino by Borsalino
    Zino by Zino Davidoff
    Armani Eau Pour Homme by Armani
    Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron
    Van Gils by Van Gils

The only one I can stand today is Zino...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I am 21 and loved playing with my mum's Guerlains as a young girl. However, as a teenager I didn't have the confidence to wear my then-favourites (Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue, Chamade) out, so I mostly stuck to:

Bath and Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom and Warm Vanilla Sugar
    Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain, Champs-Elysées, occasionally Chamade
    Dior Hypnotic Poison
    Burberry Brit

1. Dior Fahrenheit @ 14 to 15 yrs old
    2. Egyptian Musk Oil @15 yrs old
    3. Herrera for Men @ 16 to 18 yrs old
    4. Dolce and Gabbana pour homme @ 21yrs old

talk about a trip down amnesia lane.

I recall wearing my brother's Kouros and Grey Flannel. I also recall trying his Polo green, but everyone else at my school reeked of that, so I wanted something different. The budding basenoter!

The first scent I ever bought was a tester of Ralph Lauren Monogram from a perfume store in Freeport, Maine, across the street from L.L. Bean (an annual family trek). I actuall still have that bottle, with it's dregs, although I did buy and use several bottles of Monogram in my early teens.

That Monogram gave me my first scent interaction at 12 or 13, when the buxom dental hygienist at my orthodontist told me I smelled really good.

My first full bottle was Cool Water. But before that, I bought minis of Lacoste Booster, Polo Sport, Fahrenheit, Romeo Gigli, and CK Escape. I miss Lacoste Booster, it is a good fragrance.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

English Leather, Hai Karate, Jade East, Brut and oddly enough, Fougere Royale (available then in fine low end drugstores everywhere)

Teenager in the sixties from an impoverished background. But I was happy.
    Griff

Drakkar Noir.....everyone wore drakkar or polo around here in the late 80s
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

I started out in the beginning of the 90s and back then I wore:

YSL Jazz
    YSL Live Jazz
    Lagerfeld Photo
    Gucci Nobile
    Drakkar Noir

I still have a bottle of most of them and enjoy wearing them occasionally, feeling nostalgic. Actually, I think they have more character and originality than most of the current/recent designer scents...

Basenotes Plus

Samba for men...
    I love cologne.

That Man and Top Brass, both by Revlon. Also wore Max Factor Cologne for men (Max Factor's Hynotique was the rage for young ladies at the time!). Then graduated to Canoe and Mem"s English Leather, both of which smelled better on others than on me. Then came Aramis and my olfactory world opened up and I've never looked back!

Nothing substantial. I didn't get into fragrances until a couple years ago, and I am 23 now.

Oh, wait a minute, now that I think about it, I had a bottle of Jovan Ginseng that I quite fancied in middle school. That's probably the closet I came to a good fragrance in that time.