Code of Conduct

Default Oh no matter HOW much I love it I will NEVER wear that!

Here is my "No Matter How Good It Smells I Will NEVER Wear It" scent:
    Shalimar. I had an old boyfriend who bought it for me because his old ex girlfriend used to wear it and he thought it was sexy and reminded him of HER!!!!!!! Needless to say that romance lasted about a second.

This was years and years ago and I have been happily married to my dream man, and I will still NEVER consider this fragrance.

Come on, fess up, there is probably a fragrance out there we will never go to regardless of how it smells...

What REALLY irks me is that this was way before I knew about these sites and I actually buried it in a pile of Goodwill clothes and donated it.
    I hope someone who loves it found it.

Default Re: Oh no matter HOW much I love it I will NEVER wear that!

Quote Originally Posted by Loukoumi
    I had an old boyfriend who bought it for me because his old ex girlfriend used to wear it and he thought it was sexy and reminded him of HER!!!!!!! Needless to say that romance lasted about a second.
    Couldnīt he at least have lied or something

I actually buried it in a pile of Goodwill clothes and donated it.
    I hope someone who loves it found it.
    Yes, letīs hope so

But to answer the question...that would be scentīs that are strongly associated with someone I meet on a daily basis or at least often. Some people really make a scent "theirs" adn it doesnīt have to be deliberately. My boss wears Mitsouko, thatīs the only one I can think of right now. I know it is worn by a lot of women, but as long as I keep working there, it will be associated with her appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by vinterdroppe
    Couldnīt he at least have lied or something

Yes, letīs hope so

But to answer the question...that would be scentīs that are strongly associated with someone I meet on a daily basis or at least often. Some people really make a scent "theirs" adn it doesnīt have to be deliberately. My boss wears Mitsouko, thatīs the only one I can think of right now. I know it is worn by a lot of women, but as long as I keep working there, it will be associated with her appearance.
    Thats quite a good answer. So true. Once you associate someone with a scent, it is hard to take it on yourself, without taking on all the associations. Hey, my old boss never went to a restaurant without sending something back, so suppose you wear his scent. You go to a restaurant... Do you get an uncontrollable urge to send the food back to the kitchen?.....

I used to wear the old Burberrys a lot... and loved it…. Still do in fact! But once a co-worker had fallen in love with it and MADE IT HER OWN scent, I was turned off. And not because I don't like her, in fact I really do,... but the catch here was that this could not smell worse on her. Something about the way it mixed with her chemistry made it smell rotten and even the thought of it makes me gag.

She wears other fragrances well and is in fact probably the only other person at work who LOVES fragrances... I only dread when she asks what I am wearing next for the fear of repeating this dreadful scenario with my beloved Burberrys...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I wouldn't not wear something because of an association. There are some scents, however, that I love and refuse to wear simply because I like the smell of them, but not as perfumes. Chinatown is like this. It is atmospheric and not enjoyable as a personal fragrance.

Still, if I were to come across that ubiquitous and stuffy musk aroma that used to surround the elderly, I would not choose to wear it. I don't smell it at all today, but years ago it was inescapable. Certain drugstore musks come quite close to this aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    I wouldn't not wear something because of an association. There are some scents, however, that I love and refuse to wear simply because I like the smell of them, but not as perfumes. Chinatown is like this. It is atmospheric and not enjoyable as a personal fragrance.
    Chinatown is like that for me, too. I love it but would never wear it. Plenty of other perfumes I feel like that about.

Blog Entries

Here is my "No Matter How Good It Smells I Will NEVER Wear It" scent:
    Shalimar. I had an old boyfriend who bought it for me because his old ex girlfriend used to wear it and he thought it was sexy and reminded him of HER!!!!!!! Needless to say that romance lasted about a second.

This was years and years ago and I have been happily married to my dream man, and I will still NEVER consider this fragrance.
    I have had a similar experience -

I once had a partner who was very controlling but loved to indulge my passion for perfume...

The last christmas we were 'together' I asked him to buy a certain perfume but instead he chose to buy me Davidoff Cool Water because he said,'(he) had smelt it on his sister and it was really nice. He thought it would also smell nice on me...'

Well, I knew it was over then because:

1) Davidoff Coolwater smells like Eau de redneck Trailer trash on my skin - most ozonic / aquatic dominated perfumes do. And he KNEW this.
    2) He had apparently got himself a deal in the perfume shop and had bought got 3 for 2 on the gift sets. I know this because he took mine out of the bag with the other two in his boot when he saw me to give me the present (he was a businessman / lecturer who lived abroad). He did not bother to hide this from me.
    3) You may have noted that it was 3 sets that he had... He only had 1 sister. That means that there was an 'extra' someone who made three. That turned out to be my 'replacement' - younger, less troublesome and more compliant, with a love of soft aquatic scents. As evidenced by the half empty bottle of Clinique Happy she kindly left behind in his flat once whilst he was still seeing me.

Suffice to say Davidoff Coolwater for women will never feature highly on any wishlist of mine in the forseeable future.

Familiarity can breed contempt like that I have for Boucheron Omnia due to a venomous old gal pal but there are instances where it can be a positive:

My mother is a rare signature scent person and for most of my life wore Estee Lauder Youth Dew as her perfume. She didn't wear scent everyday, preferring just that provided by her Avon body products and deoderants. But when it was time to put on the ritz, Youth Dew was allowed to shine.

Now I thought I could never wear it - even though I tried. But this last year or so I have fallen under its spell and now it is one of my very own HG / staples. I was touched to discover recently (I had completely forgotten) that it also happened to be the scent of choice for both my Gran AND Grandfather as well. So I am the third generation in my family to wear and love this perfume.

It probably helps that my mother lives 400 miles away and has now moved on to Angel (which I have NO intention of incorporating).

Thanks for reading!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Very funny post Moondeva! LOL.
    I don't have any bad associations with scents. Isn't that strange? Why can I not be turned off by anything? I've certainly had my share of negative experiences. Somehow I've walled them off from the experience and rescued the perfume from the sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    My mother is a rare signature scent person and for most of my life wore Estee Lauder Youth Dew as her perfume. She didn't wear scent everyday, preferring just that provided by her Avon body products and deoderants. But when it was time to put on the ritz, Youth Dew was allowed to shine. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4]Now I thought I could never wear it - even though I tried. But this last year or so I have fallen under its spell and now it is one of my very own HG / staples. I was touched to discover recently (I had completely forgotten) that it also happened to be the scent of choice for both my Gran AND Grandfather as well. So I am the third generation in my family to wear and love this perfume.
    Such a very touching story... Youth Dew is really growing on me...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I used to wear Lancome's delicious Magie Noire. (Many guys do this, I found out.) Along with Shalimar, it's "my" female scent that DOESN'T smell "femme" on me at all. That said, I associate it strongly with my grandmother's funeral two years ago. Just haven't been able to wear it since.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    I used to wear Lancome's delicious Magie Noire. (Many guys do this, I found out.) Along with Shalimar, it's "my" female scent that DOESN'T smell "femme" on me at all. That said, I associate it strongly with my grandmother's funeral two years ago. Just haven't been able to wear it since.
    This is so sad.... I, like you and apparently Moondiva, have such fond grandmother memories. Maybe you could learn to associate this old favorite scent of yours with her life?

Blog Entries

This is so sad.... I, like you and apparently Moondiva, have such fond grandmother memories. Maybe you could learn to associate this old favorite scent of yours with her life?
    My fond feelings / memories are more for my Grandfather then my Gran. She was a complex, strong woman who I now (in my adulthood) have come to understand much better. My Grandfather was an amazing man who is still greatly missed.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I must say I was a bit hesitant to tell at first. But here goes. I used to love Paco Rabanne's La Nuit. It became a signature scent and since there was a rumour that it would be discontinued, I hoarded as much bottles as I could. And then came the most traumatic night and day of my life, forever linked to the scent of La Nuit. So I threw out every bottle and tried to forget. Many months later I went to the room of a new colleague and stepped into a cloud of La Nuit. I embarrassingly burst out crying. Since it was a very sweet woman she never used la Nuit again in my presence. But a few monts ago I read a review on MUA of a woman who had overcome her dislike of a scent by 'unlinking' the scent from the event, so after all these years I bought La Nuit again. Where that MUA member succeeded, I failed. I have not been so sick and sad since years. Like Poe's Raven it is 'Nevermore' for me.

Wow! These stories are amazing. I'm glad you shared, Moondeva and Riannon - both your stories brought tears to my eyes.

I actually have three scents I can't wear again, and it's because I would wear as a signature fragrance the perfume a boyfriend would give me, no matter whether I liked it or not. This happened to me three times, with three perfectly fine scents (L'Air Du Temp, Chantilly, and Tiffany [I still like Tiffany but won't wear it]).

They just remind me how I submerged myself in those relationships, especially LDT and C. If I smell them, they actually start making me feel that way, like I belong to HIM. I don't fault the boyfriends - they were just giving me something they thought smelled nice. But, there is no way I can wear them :-)

Blog Entries

I'm fortunate that I don't typically wear feminine scents anymore, because if I did I'd find myself wanting to wear Curve for women more. My ex gave me a huge Curve gift set for Christmas one year. I loved it. It came with the perfume (of course), a mini perfume, a large bottle of lotion, and a can of massage oil (mmmmmm). I wore Curve all the time when I was with her, and even now when I smell it on someone else, it reminds me of her. And it's not a pleasant association.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia