Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are there similarities of SMN Acqua di Cuba and Creed Vintage Tabarome?

Having not yet tried Acqua di Cuba, I was curious whether these 2 share many, some, or no similarities. I really would like to get opinions of those who have tried both of these.

Default Re: Are there similarities of SMN Acqua di Cuba and Creed Vintage Tabarome?

Yes, but not because they smell alike.

To me, they are in the same "category." They are heavy, deep, extremely masculine fragrances for the confident, mature man that scream class and money. They are as far away from the citrus/aquatic/airy/"fresh" fragrances as you can get.

They are both incredible fragrances if these are your type of scents and well worth owning. They are men's scents; not for boys.

Default Re: Are there similarities of SMN Acqua di Cuba and Creed Vintage Tabarome?

they don't smell anything alike

You made me pull out the samples and A/B them. They are both old world manly. I think they also share some notes, especially a wet tobacco note, but overall Vintage Tabarome is muskier, darker, and sort of musty, with an almost stale smoke note. There is a place here in Pittsburgh called the Duquesne Club, where these people with old money, and the folks who want to get close to them, pay absurd fees to be members. (They also go through this crazy process of having their picture hung on the wall when they apply; any member who doesn't want that person to belong - based on looks alone - can put an X on the picture.) VT reminds me of that club. There is this smell of old smoke and leather, with a whiff of traditional men's cologne in there too, something almost "pretty." VT is more complex than AdC to my nose.

AdC is brighter and with a sour note. I'd say it's simpler, leather and tobacco, and here the tobacco is fresher, not smoked, it's sharper, almost a fermenting type of sharpness. I'd say there's more tobacco flower in this one, sort of like the note in i Profumi di Firenze's Tobacco.

To sum it up, they're very different, with a few shared notes and an overall similar quality or character. Personally I like AdC better, as the dry down works better on me. Tabarome gets very musty, and sometimes nastily sour, on me. The topnotes are amazing. I just wish it worked better on my skin as it dries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    You made me pull out the samples and A/B them. They are both old world manly. I think they also share some notes, especially a wet tobacco note, but overall Vintage Tabarome is muskier, darker, and sort of musty, with an almost stale smoke note. There is a place here in Pittsburgh called the Duquesne Club, where these people with old money, and the folks who want to get close to them, pay absurd fees to be members. (They also go through this crazy process of having their picture hung on the wall when they apply; any member who doesn't want that person to belong - based on looks alone - can put an X on the picture.) VT reminds me of that club. There is this smell of old smoke and leather, with a whiff of traditional men's cologne in there too, something almost "pretty." VT is more complex than AdC to my nose.

AdC is brighter and with a sour note. I'd say it's simpler, leather and tobacco, and here the tobacco is fresher, not smoked, it's sharper, almost a fermenting type of sharpness. I'd say there's more tobacco flower in this one, sort of like the note in i Profumi di Firenze's Tobacco.

To sum it up, they're very different, with a few shared notes and an overall similar quality or character. Personally I like AdC better, as the dry down works better on me. Tabarome gets very musty, and sometimes nastily sour, on me. The topnotes are amazing. I just wish it worked better on my skin as it dries.
    Thanks for the help. On a side note, the company I work has 3 executive officers from Pittsburgh who are members of the Duquesne Club (I live very near the Ohio Pa border.) I really wanted to know, because I have some of my decants left of VT (It has shot up to my #3 favorite of all time), and it is ridiculous to find anywhere, and I know where I can buy ADC pretty easily. I really love this old world manly smell of VT, and thanks for describing the ADC.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Thanks for the help. On a side note, the company I work has 3 executive officers from Pittsburgh who are members of the Duquesne Club (I live very near the Ohio Pa border.) I really wanted to know, because I have some of my decants left of VT (It has shot up to my #3 favorite of all time), and it is ridiculous to find anywhere, and I know where I can buy ADC pretty easily. I really love this old world manly smell of VT, and thanks for describing the ADC.
    Ha! Small world. I know about the club b/c the guy who runs the office where I work is a member. I've been there a couple times...not really my scene though. Glad to be of help.