Code of Conduct

Smile Polo Crest vs Polo (Green)

(This might be considered a new thread that follows on from the thread on Oakmoss in various Guerlain fragrances.)

I've recently managed to get some Polo Crest and am really bowled over by it. It has a richness that is indescribably lovely. But comparing the scent pyramid to that of Polo Green (on Basenotes) shows it to be a proper subset. Now I can see the similarity, but Polo Crest is so much richer than Polo Green that it is hard to believe that the latter has very much more in it. So is that mystery thing in Crest a greater amount of Oakmoss? Or something else that is not listed?

But if it is oakmoss, is that why Crest has been discontinued? (Polo Green just has so much less—perhaps it gets past the restrictions??)

I also recently bought a new bottle of Safari and find it very much weaker—indeed a pale imitation—of the bottle I bought in 92 or thereabouts. Could they have sucked out most of the oakmoss from it.

The commonality with all three RLs is Patchouli and Oakmoss in the basenotes.

Also does anyone know if the oakmoss causes eczema-type reactions? (My son has broken out the day I got the Polo Crest.)

I'm kinda new here so let me introduce myself. Eluard. Pleased to meet you.

Default Re: Polo Crest vs Polo (Green)

they didn't discontinue it because of oakmoss. many fragrances are discontinued for various reasons. oakmoss is in thousands of fragrances and will continue to be. the EU is attempting to regulate all kinds of things simply so that they can control the markets of fragrances and most everything else on the planet but it's not going to work. oakmoss isn't a dangerous substance. allergies to fragrances could be caused by any number of variables and these allergies are usually mild anyway. luca turin went over all of this in depth on his blog not long ago.

oakmoss is still used in guerlain's fragrances in spite of intentions to remove it along with birch tar, coumarin, and other relatively harmless ingredients. there are various powerful entities lobbying against removing these things, for the big picture has to do with a lot more than a few perfume ingredients. it has to do with global marketing dominance. perfumes are just a tiny fragment of that. you can read about it all over the internet. thomas friedman just did an excellent program on it a few nights ago. it's mind-blowing how many restrictions the EU is attempting to place on the most basic products all over the world. they want you to believe that they're doing it for "your safety" but the real reason has nothing to do with that.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th October 2006 at 05:24 PM.

I really think its the jasmine in Polo Crest that fully differentiates it from Green. Its such a sweeter fragrance because of it. I think many of the herbals in Green are removed from Crest as well.

I love both. Ultimately, until they bring back Crest I have to gravitate to the original. Polo Crest is my vote for all-time worst choice of discontinuation.

Yeah, all of this talk of oakmoss being diluted really frustrates me as chypres are by far my favorite classification, and Polo started it.

Love Polo Crest. I was very lucky to acquire a bottle in a swap. Such a clean, powerful, masculine aroma.
    Ralph Lauren, grow some balls and put this one back in production.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Between these two, I lean toward the original. I ordered a small sample of Crest to try it a year or so ago, and I wasn't impressed. I could be my skin chemistry or a bad sample or something. I really wanted to like it because I've heard so many people compliment it, but Polo green is better to me.

Jim

Crest all the way for me....Much easier to wear....a masterpiece!!!!!
    Gary

Oooh...thats a tricky one!

I get more pine from the green along with a stronger herbal note, at least initially.Crest is a little more citric in the opening but quickly mellows down to a very harmonious blend of balsamic smoothness with some swetness that Green is lacking. I like the opening 30 minutes of green more but the drydown is probably a tie. As for oak moss it is a must in many of my fragrances of choice.I love the foresty-herbal-green-lavendery smell from chypres and also the more woody interpretations. If they are able to make fake oak moss that is a worthy olfactory and easy-to-mix-substitute then that would be fine with me. Although Im not sure if the industry is there yet. Also I could jump into the whole is chemical substitutes worse or in fact more safe discussion, but I dont want to go down that road.
    Ill settle with the confession that I love oak moss in fragrances and that Crest and Green are gems in my collection. I reach for Green more often and sometimes find Crest too sweet but the fact that nobody knows it and that its a bit more formal makes up for that so that it becomes,as stated earlier, a tie.

Enough from me, Im just repeating myself anyway.
    Enough from me, Im just repeating myself anyway
    /Tobbe

I've been milking a bottle of Crest for years........Afraid to run out of it frankly.......

A wonderful, warm creation..........

Recently got interested in men's perfume

I really like Obsession ...

I'm OK with Grabazzi, most other CK products

Wasn't impressed with Aqua di Gio, Polo Blue (not into this kind of so-called "ocean breeze refreshing", actually rubbing alcohol like quality)

I like the Jamine scent in women's fragrance like Molinard's Les Fleurs De provence, Loccitane's The Vert Au Jasmin (btw, how do I tell natural Jasmin from synthetic?)

And today I came across Polo Crest in a small shop in the local Manlo Park Mall (1 oz? their only bottle left). First I was attracted to its classic packaging, then I was attracted to its scent. I immediatedly went online and bouthg the 4 Oz bottle from amazon.com ... So sorry to hear that it's discontinued, no wonder it's twice as expensive, thanks Ralph Lauren :-).

(I am waiting for the shipment of Guerlain Imperiale, Givenchy Gentleman, and Balaciaga Ho Hang ... I just picked them out from some website because they looked interesting :-)
    Last edited by newport; 27th October 2006 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by newport
    Recently got interested in men's perfume

I really like Obsession ...

I'm OK with Grabazzi, most other CK products

Wasn't impressed with Aqua di Gio, Polo Blue (not into this kind of so-called "ocean breeze refreshing", actually rubbing alcohol like quality)

I like the Jamine scent in women's fragrance like Molinard's Les Fleurs De provence, Loccitane's The Vert Au Jasmin (btw, how do I tell natural Jasmin from synthetic?)

And today I came across Polo Crest in a small shop in the local Manlo Park Mall (1 oz? their only bottle left). First I was attracted to its classic packaging, then I was attracted to its scent. I immediatedly went online and bouthg the 4 Oz bottle from amazon.com ... So sorry to hear that it's discontinued, no wonder it's twice as expensive, thanks Ralph Lauren :-).

(I am waiting for the shipment of Guerlain Imperiale, Givenchy Gentleman, and Balaciaga Ho Hang ... I just picked them out from some website because they looked interesting :-)
    Welcome newport!

I am a great fan of classic 80s and 90s fragrances and like Giv Gentleman and Balenciaga HH. Polo Crest is a great fragrance, but as you say, it can still be got for a price.

Can I also recommend Trussardi Uomo: if you like the Guerlain I think you'll also like this and of course it's endangered.

cheers

Eluard

Thanks Eluard ...

Received my shipment of the three colognes ... Givenchy more severe, Guerlan Imperiale more spicy than I expected, HH quite neutral and harmless ...

Didn't expect the 3.4 oz bottles to be so big ... I perfer the more elegant smaller package ...

My curiosity somewhat satisfied ... I now return to my CK Obsession with new found fondness

(Still looking forward to my Polo Crest shipment)
    Last edited by newport; 28th October 2006 at 03:05 AM.

Crest was my SOTE last night.

When I first wore it, it didn't strike me as anything extraordinary, but the more I wear it, the more I appreciate it. Masculine, clean, decent if not exceptional longetivity...not a masterpiece but a damn nice fragrance.