Code of Conduct

Default Best autumn/Winter scent for an 18 year old?

Yeah, I'm 18 years old and in a perfume forum; don't I feel special =)

I was thinking of giving Very Irrésistible by Givenchy a try; but I am also considering Pi.

I just bought a bottle of Lacoste's Style in play, and D&G PH, but I can't really wear the D&G most of the time because of some issues with my gf >_> And the Lacoste one is more of a summer scent.

I am also considering YSL's Live Jazz (although I don't know if it's a summer scent, or a fall scent) and M7, but I don't know if it would suit me because I'm this young.

Then we have Tommy which I remember loving as a kid, but I'm not really sure if it's a long lasting scent, or if it's a winter scent for that matter.

And last, but not least, there's Burberry Touch; which I've read some mixed reviews of.

Since I'm in Mexico, sampling fragrances, or even trying them on department stores is mostly out of the picture, because they always have 2 or 3 fragrances at most. Decanting would be a choice if I weren't so damn paranoid about international shipping, plus I don't have a credit card.

And I can only choose stuff available at www.perfumania.com.mx , so most obscure fragrances are also out of the picture.

So, I'd love to hear some opinions guys, thanks a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best autumn/Winter scent for an 18 year old?

M7
    it does not matter that you are just 18. Beautiful things does not know age limits
    Last edited by DreamerII; 13th October 2006 at 06:01 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd suggest Burberry Brit, Burberry for men (the former Burberry London), John Varvatos, Lacoste Pour Homme, & Calvin Klein Obsession. For starters .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest Burberry Brit and Burberry for Men as well.

I've heard some issues concerning sillage and longevity on Lacoste PH.

Burberry Brit is a cool option, but one of my best mates has it, so I son't really want to smell like him.

Versace's The Dreamer is another option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juanamichi
    Versace's The Dreamer is another option.
    Ooh The Dreamer is AWESOME!!! If you've never smelled this one before, be wary that the top notes are a bit strange and overwhelming. Go lightly until you get used to them. The best part is the amazing drydown.

And, I forgot you mentioned Pi...this is a great one too.
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 13th October 2006 at 07:15 PM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

The Dreamer is awesome. I can't think of a better scent for a youngster. Too bad it didn't exist when I was young ....
    And yes, don't judge it the first fifteen minutes!

I agree with The Dreamer, too. Although it's best to dress that one down a bit.

Have you tried Rush For Men from Gucci? It's probably hard to find in Mexico now but it's an icy floral best suited for Wintertime. Givenchy Oblique REW is another fragrance similar to Rush that I love to wear in Winter, although it might seem too effervescent for men. I don't really delegate fragrances to age, or seasons for that matter, instead I classify between year-round day and evening-wear but it's still very nice to make the seasonal associations anyway.

I used to live in Mexico City a few years ago and I wore Nemo by Cacharel and Allure Homme during the Winters there (in fact I can only ever tolerate Allure for Winter) I used to buy all my perfumes at El Palacio de Hierro back then.

Have you tried Intrusion by Oscar de la Renta? It's supposed to be for women but I've only known men to wear that ... It's very nice for cold weather. Ditto Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui. I remember my mother buying me ST Dupont's Signature Pour Homme at Palacio for Hanukkah the year it came out and wearing it that entire Fall-Winter season.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by eau-k; 13th October 2006 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Best autumn/Winter scent for an 18 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by eau-k
    "I don't really delegate fragrances to age, or seasons for that matter, instead I classify between year-round day and evening-wear but it's still very nice to make the seasonal associations anyway."
    does that mean you would wear ck eternity summer in december?

Post Thanks / Like

As another 18 year old.. I can say that I love Very Irresistible smelling out of the bottle, but on my skin it turns to rubbish. I've recently purchased Azzaro Visit. It's great stuff. Might be a little too powerful.. so maybe Bright Visit. Also, Lucky No. 6 has got a nice fresh woody scent too. Visit seems to do the trick though, just don't overapply.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest Brit and Visit. Also Givenchy Very Irresistable.

Post Thanks / Like

As a person who will be 18 in a few months, I can these are well worth your time:

Allure/Allure Sport (I like the original better)
    M7/M7 Fresh (Once again, I lean towards the original)
    The Dreamer
    Gucci Pour Homme/Envy (GPH=spicier and stronger M7, Envy smells like sex)

There you go, I love all of these very much. Give them a sniff.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey folks, I'm 17 here and I currently have Givenchy's Pi in my wardrobe. I'm not really impressed. I don't know, I just find the vanilla scent so overpowering. I remember in class one day, a girl beside me asked the girl in front of her what type of vanilla scent she was wearing. She said that it wasn't her that was wearing it.

*blink*

It's a very nice scent, don't get me wrong, but do be warned: it's VERY sweet and has a slight feminine touch to it, IMHO.

I have a bottle of Michael for Men by Michael Kors and I love it! Dark, masculine, powerful. One of my favorite cool-weather scents.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Allure Sport
    Armani Black Code
    Gucci Envy
    Dior Homme by Christian Dior
    FIERCE by Abercrombie & Fitch (might not be too popular where you are, so you'll stand out in a good way)
    Body Kouros

Ok, so right now my main contenders are Versace's The Dreamer, Gucci's Envy and Perry Ellis 360 White.

I kind of want to get Envy, but I don't know if it is too formal for casual wear.

I want to get M7 too, but It's described as a "medicinal" scent, and I really feel nautious whenever I smell medicine =P

None of you have commented on Live Jazz yet.

And since VI is a very changing fragrance, I'll refrain from blind buying it.

I'm probably getting 2 scents, and one of them is almost sure to be The Dreamer =P.

Post Thanks / Like

I second Allure Sport, but I don't think it's very woodsy. Still, it's kickass. Gucci Envy is too formal in most situations. I think it smells fantastic and would wear it whenever, but most people our age are put off by it. Think it smells old mannish. Whatever, they'll see the other side of it on a cold night in a suit =D I haven't smelled Dreamer but have only heard good things. I think it sounds like a good safe buy. But seriously, Visit is a darn good one too.

I've also heard A LOT of great things about Fierce, but I cannot find it in Mexico =/

Is Visit really that good? I might give it a shot. I was about to consider Carolina Herrera's Chic, but that's more summer-ish, so no.

If Envy really is that formal, I don't think I'll get it now. I might get it later when I have to go formal to my school, but that's it.

More suggestions are always welcomed, I'd also like something like Armani White, I liked the juice, but it had no longevity on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Fierce is cool, but the thing is everyone in the world our age knows about it and if they're not wearing AdG they're wearing Fierce. More common to find Fierce than AdG though. But if you don't care about that, it's basically one of every girl's favorite scents(especially ones that associate themselves with the A&F/Hollister/etc. lifestyle). You should try and find Envy anyway just to smell it, you might like it. I dunno where you'd find Visit cause I never could, but I bought it blind and it's pretty good.

I can find visit for $36 over here, so it's not really that hard; but I hate blind buying.

I'm still looking for something like Armani White.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eau-k
    Have you tried Rush For Men from Gucci? It's probably hard to find in Mexico now but it's an icy floral best suited for Wintertime.
    Icy floral?? Really? To me its a "hot wood" for sure. It works in winter, but its so dry and subdued that i've had no problems wearing it in warmer temps. It's actually one of my most versatile and enjoyable frags. If only it lasted longer than A FREAKING HOUR

I'd like to suggest Escada Sentiment and/or Magnetism. They both are great scents for a young guy...Sentiment is probably better suited to a less experienced nose though. Both are very nice and have fruity/warm auras IMO.

Gucci Envy is a good choice too. Cheap, smells nice, everyone seems to like it. Go for it!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

How do you think Dior Homme would go down on an 18 year old?

As the weather gets cooler I'm thinking of getting something a little more woody and spicy. At present I'm thinking of either Dior Homme or Gucci Pour Homme. I got a few samples of DH and I really took to it; my gf, on the other hand, said it reminded her of an old man :-s. Are these fragrances a little too "mature" for me at the moment, perhaps?

Thanks,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_88
    How do you think Dior Homme would go down on an 18 year old?

As the weather gets cooler I'm thinking of getting something a little more woody and spicy. At present I'm thinking of either Dior Homme or Gucci Pour Homme. I got a few samples of DH and I really took to it; my gf, on the other hand, said it reminded her of an old man :-s. Are these fragrances a little too "mature" for me at the moment, perhaps?

Thanks,

Michael
    Michael, maybe they would be mature if you're a very immature or young person, but it all depends on who you are and how you feel about these fragrances.

Personally, I don't find DH very woody or spicy, more sweet/dry and quite modern. Gucci PH definitely has more woods and is probably a bit more masculine and less 'playful'.

Both of these fragrances work really well in the winter, so I'd say take your personal favorite and try to get your GF into it .
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Make it The Dreamer.
    I'm 39 and love this for a winter fragrance, and can't see that it has any "age limits."

If you were older, I'd steer you towards a good bay rum, or Havana Reserva, or Leonard, or Antaeus, or Ambre Sultan. But at 18, try The Dreamer -- think you'll like it.

My "To buy" list is now composed of:

The Dreamer by Versace (I'm buying it today)
    Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger (I guess old habits do dier hard)
    Envy by Gucci
    Sentiment by Escada

And some cheaper ones like Perry Ellis 360 white and Benetton Paradiso Inferno blue >_>

That should be a nice start into building my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanamichi
    And some cheaper ones like Perry Ellis 360 white a
    better change that must-buy PE360W into a PerryEllis360 Black!

just a personal opinion but i don't really see PE360W as a very "fall" scent.

I think I'll buy them both. I cannot get JPG's Lemale around here, but I heard 360 white smells like it.

Besides, they're only around 18 bucks each =P

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I gave a try and find Armani Code a really very good scent for the colder seasons. In the sweety-oriental category I find it the most wearable of all I've tried. Nothing disturbing, but not boring at all, way better than even Burberry Brit in this category. And longevity seems to be quite good. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I'd suggest Burberry Brit, Burberry for men (the former Burberry London), John Varvatos, Lacoste Pour Homme, & Calvin Klein Obsession. For starters .
    I 2nd the Burberry for men. You can probably get it for cheap on ebay. I know everyone is crazy about decanting here, but for cheapies you might as well pull the trigger.

Buena Suerte!

Just wanted to comment on some others mentioned:

Gucci Rush doesn't last long, but Azzaro Visit is a better and longer lasting version of it (look at BN reviews if you don't believe me).

And please trust me on this one and buy Micheal by Micheal Kors. You'll thanks me later. I can't reccommend this one enough. Just do yourself a favor and try it. It's my #1 scent.

I'll try to Find Michael, although I'm not really sure if it is my thing. Seems like a formal scent, and while I never dress carelessly, I don't exactly go formal every day.

Today is scent buying day! As long as my brother comes home >_>

Post Thanks / Like

Another one for Azzaro Visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Visit is AWESOME layered with a fresh scent(Guess Man here, PERFECT combo, literally, I can't get over how good it is).

He didn't come home, the ass. =(

I'm probably going tomorrow, by myself =( I have around $150 to spend, so yeah =P

The Dreamer, Envy and maybe Tommy will be mine. I will also ask them to show me some fragrances you guys recommended (like visit and Michael, which you made me want to smell; and Guess Man).

I might even buy Hugo or Dark Blue or Boss in Motion, or anything givenchy. (of course not all at once, they are only $150 after all)

More updates someday soon >_>

I think I'm getting addicted.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is that Michael Kors is very boozy - such that I got rid of mine. I liked the tobacco in it, but the liquor was tooooo muchshsh ;-)