Code of Conduct

Default Alternatives to "Young" Fragrances?

I'm in my mid-twenties, and I'm just starting out in my career. It seems that most of the fragrances I'm attracted to are described as "young," even "teenage" perfumes, and yet most of the "classics" remind me of women from other generations, and thus seem too old for me. This is further complicated by the fact that people routinely mistake me for a teenager - I'm always getting asked what high school or college I go to, I get carded even when my friends don't, etc. I want to be taken seriously at work, so I don't want to wear a fragrance that will further the impression that I'm a kid. Can anyone recommend a fragrance that is not too dramatic or too weighed down with generational associations, yet not "young" in the vein of Miss Dior Cherie, Coco Mademoiselle, Angel, Live, what-have-you?

Default Re: Alternatives to "Young" Fragrances?

Ooooops! I´m twice your age, and I really like what you call young perfumes... And they suits me well, perhaps because I am still girlish, witch is nice to be in my age!

Two more grown-up perfumes I like are Cristobal by Balenciaga and Prada. Both are orientals, and have some authority. Cristobal is very feminin and Prada is fresh, still a little heavy. They are not the most grown-up frags on the market, perhaps they can suit you.

My eldest daugter, in your age, is very, very fond of Gucci EdP II. It´s a girlish perfume, but with great personality.

And there is Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker, perfect for work, as it is not in anybodys face, and yet really fun. It´s not so very young, either!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Margareta; 14th October 2006 at 02:34 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Blog Entries

I always find chypres, woods or green florals are great for conveying professionalism at work but they may not be your 'style'. You could try:

Cacharel AnaisAnais
    TBS Japanese Musk
    Chanel Cristalle
    Dior Diorella
    Ormond Jayne Tolu
    Dior Dolce Vita
    L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer
    Nina Ricci Deci Dela

Many companies are creating 'new' versions of their classics to appeal to women such as yourself. Have you tried?

Chanel No.5 Elixir Sensuelle
    Chanel Allure Sensuelle

You could also try:
    Coty L'Aimant
    Stella
    Alfred Sung Shi
    Alfred Sung Sha
    Dunhill Desire for a Woman
    CK Euphoria
    Givenchy Very Irresistible
    TBS Ananya
    TBS Spirit of Moonflower
    TBS Satsuma
    TBS Pink Pepper
    Borghese Il Bacio
    Anne Sui Dreams
    Anna Sui Secret Wish
    Avon Extraordinary
    Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre
    Chanel Chance
    Britney Spears Fantasy
    Britney Spears Curious
    Burberry Brit
    Burberry Weekend
    Cacharel Amor Amor

There are plenty more you could try and I am sure you will receive plenty of suggestions! I think these are all great introductory, not to heavy but still feminine / womanly scents which hopefully will appeal to you.

Good luck. I hope you find something you like and that works in the way you would like it to. Anyway, it should be a lot of fun hunting for it. LOL!

Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I think that Clinique Perfumes are nice-smelling and appropriate for any age, but it really depends on what you like. Your best bet is a floral oriental scent, that is fun and girly but also smell "mature". I suggest Vera Wang Princess, which is a soft oriental. Not too light, not too heavy. Not too mature, and not too young. It sounds to me like that's what you are looking for, but hey, you never know.

Caleche by Hermes is very classy (and affordable!!), I wish I had known about it when I was still working in an office!

Hi djuna,

I'm 31, and love a huge variety of fragrances. Often I too am mistaken for a student (I work at a university), but in my case that does not bother me...

Recently, I’ve discovered new Givenchy - Ange ou Démon, and have taken a serious liking to it. It has a lot of personality but is not heavy, stuffy or overbearing. I find it not too 'young' or nearly too 'traditional' in any way. So perhaps that one will work for what you're looking for I know I really love it.

Best of luck
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

There is also the new Prada Tendre, who is NOT young, and less heavy than Prada. Perhaps this one is better for a woman in her middle twenty than Prada...
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Try Emporio Armani She or any of the Cacharel brands.

MoonDeva, I definitely agree with you in regard to the chypres and green florals. I wear Mitsouko to the office on most days, and Chanel No. 19 when I'm up to it. These are both personal favorites of mine, but my chemistry tends to waver, and so the beautifully delicate, dry chypre drydown of Mitsouko can, on occasion, transform itself into a firestorm of cloves and nose-piercing aldehydes, whereas Chanel No. 19's crisp, sharp green notes occasionally turn into a nauseously bitter thing that I can only describe as The Stench Of Evil. I'm looking for a chypre that will put up with my erratic skin, and so I'm repeatedly sampling Miss Dior and SJP Lovely, which seem to have the lingering chypre base that I love, without the aggressive spice of my darling, yet problematic, Mitsouko.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djuna
    MoonDeva, I definitely agree with you in regard to the chypres and green florals. I wear Mitsouko to the office on most days, and Chanel No. 19 when I'm up to it. These are both personal favorites of mine, but my chemistry tends to waver, and so the beautifully delicate, dry chypre drydown of Mitsouko can, on occasion, transform itself into a firestorm of cloves and nose-piercing aldehydes, whereas Chanel No. 19's crisp, sharp green notes occasionally turn into a nauseously bitter thing that I can only describe as The Stench Of Evil. I'm looking for a chypre that will put up with my erratic skin, and so I'm repeatedly sampling Miss Dior and SJP Lovely, which seem to have the lingering chypre base that I love, without the aggressive spice of my darling, yet problematic, Mitsouko.
    djuna we have a love of mossy, velvety chypre bases in common. I have quite and arsenal of chypres and had quite a few come to mind when I read your post. May I suggest a few for you?

Pierre Cardin Choc - this is my 'dupe' of Guerlain Mitsouko EDT It's actually mid way between Mitsouko and Eau Sauvage (another citrus chypre I love). Fresh, smooth, discreet but long lasting with a gorgeous woody moss drydown.
    Carven Ma Griffe - sharp citrus to open but then the most amazing rosewood ushers in the white floral heart before the oakmoss base emerges and makes the drydown the best thing on earth - soft, powdery, feminine but still totally in control.
    Guerlain Chant d'Aromes - a softer lighter cousin (sister) to Ma Griffe. I prefer this in summer as it tends to 'disappear' on me in cooler weather.
    Lentheric Tweed - very underrated, much maligned chypre. This starts out strong and mossy but soon melds with the skin to create a wonderfully feminine, ambrosial 'aura'. It truly must be worn on the skin to know. A must for true chypre lovers who find even Chant d'Aromes too loud & mossy for their chemistry.
    Carven Intrigue - more green floral then true chypre but a lovely spring 'chypre' scent.
    Dior Eau Sauvage - only if you love citrus. I know this is marketed to men but this is definitely unisex / sexless / for all. Fresh, green, crisp and invigorating it sets you up for your day, and the wonderful mossy chypre base is divine.
    Diorella - the more feminised expression of Eau Sauvage. Much less citrussy, this opens with a wonderful fruity (peach) opening which warms and colours the white floral heart. The oakmoss dominated base is soft velvety and totally dreamy. This is a perfect chypre for all occasions.
    Guy Larouche Fidji - again not a chypre, more a green, fresh floral. I find this perfect in so many situations. I find myself reaching for this often and it always seduces me each time I do.
    Norell Norell - I know, this is an aldehydic floral, but this is a floral made in the old style where they add that little something that makes it so much more. This appears all refined and demure upfront, Chanel No.5 has nothing on Norell for projecting refinement and class on opening but there is my favourite oakmoss in the base alongside some amber and smooth woods. Subtle but completely irresistible.

Please let me know if any of these work out for you.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *