Code of Conduct

Default Your thoughts on Rochas Femme?

I bought this unsniffed ay Marshall's today and my first thought was "YIKES!, dammit, it's going to Ebay" but now that's it's driyng down it is almost gorgeous...what is the concensus here? Who loves it and who hates it?

Default Re: Your thoughts on Rochas Femme?

I don´t exactly love it but I like it, sometimes more sometimes less, if that makes sense I had a week somewhere around spring/early summer when I craved it for an entire week. But at times there is that vague plastic something-note in the background I don´t really get on with. Wearing Feminité du Bois after Femme feels a little like having a slice of rye bread after too much pastry, but they have something in common, like different shades of plum.

Oh, this is the reformulated version I am talking about, btw. I haven´t tried the classic one.
    Last edited by vinterdroppe; 14th October 2006 at 11:46 PM.

I swear that there is a very, very slight note of....vomit . That is definitely keeping me from loving it. Maybe I should try again on a day when our 3-year-old daughter hasn't pushed us to the brink of insanity. :bounce: If it still smells vomit-ish on a calmer day than I know we'll need to part ways.

I love it and wear the EdP exclusively. It is very warm on me, with a distinct cumin note. It's a "smart" fragrance as opposed to a beautiful one. Kind of tweedy and chic in an outdoorsy way. To me represents a more tailored type of fragrance and not a fussy, feminine one. There's a certain classical glow to it without making it seem old-fashioned, although it definitely is somewhat retro. The fruited notes are especially seamless and do not make the scent top heavy. Have received many compliments on it. Note that I am wearing the modern, reformulated version and not the original.

I am going to have to look for that vomit note!

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    I swear that there is a very, very slight note of....vomit . That is definitely keeping me from loving it.
    Dearest Tinker

I think I know exactly what you are talking about here. Femme was a blind buy for me too, and the first time I tried it: well I didn't have a clue what to make out of it. I liked it and I did not. Needless to say, that I've not worn it yet for a full day. I think I know that vomit note that you are referring to, the one that peeks it's head here and there; something funky, but only ever so slight. I want to wear it for a full day, but something is holding me back. Truthfully, I have been also waiting for the cooler weather to re-try it and see what I make out of it this time around.

There is something sweet and almondy and marzipan-like about it, and then there is that something, maybe the way cumin comes out in this and mixes with all the other notes on my skin that is just awful. But with the dry-down it was almost beautiful and so I wonder if I’ll be brave enough to spray some on tomorrow and go out and about my business all day: go shopping, do some writing, visit my in-laws… Luckily I am not going to work and that is one place I know I would not be brave enough to re-test this one .
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I have tried both the old and new formulations (several times!), and to me the "vomit note" most likely comes from what to me smells like an overload of rottening plums. I feel sick just thinking about it - YIKES! I truly hate it...

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    I have tried both the old and new formulations (several times!), and to me the "vomit note" most likely comes from what to me smells like an overload of rottening plums. I feel sick just thinking about it - YIKES! I truly hate it...
    Ohhh Musse I think you are so right on that "overload of rottening plums" that really is the 'vomit note' we are all noticing here.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I like it but have to be in the mood for it, it's the most overripe fruity Chypre there is, very full-bodied and feminine. A scent with boobs and bum so to speak!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I like it but have to be in the mood for it, it's the most overripe fruity Chypre there is, very full-bodied and feminine. A scent with boobs and bum so to speak!
    Love your descriptions Tigrushka!

I love Femme, yet don't think it's the easiest scent to wear. I own the vintage parfum, and it's perfect. It is very different than the reformulated version. It's leathery, dark, earthy. It's a perfect scent though I don't find myself reaching for it very often (perhaps knowing that the 1/8 oz left in my flacon is not going to be easily replaced can explain why!)

The reformulation starts very sultry, glowingly warm with the fruit and the cumin. I really love that (though the sillage needs to be seriously considered, espeically if you intend to spray it!). However, the dry down, as gorgeous as it is, has a plasticky amber that I do not care for. If it wasn't for that plasticky amber I would have thought much higher of the reformulation (and would have bought and used fast a bottle of it).
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    However, the dry down, as gorgeous as it is, has a plasticky amber that I do not care for. If it wasn't for that plasticky amber I would have thought much higher of the reformulation (and would have bought and used fast a bottle of it).
    Oh, is that what it is from? If I wear Femme for several days in a row this note comes out more and more each day. It vaguely reminds me of som kind of plastic padding they used in a boat factory where my father used to work in when I was a child. I do recognize this note in some other scents too, but not in most of the ambery scents I can think of now.

Red face Re: Your thoughts on Rochas Femme?

*la la la* I can't hear you! (vomit? plastic? rottening plums?)

I love this one, both in vintage parfum (which I am sadly left without) and in the reformulated EDT(which I consider one of the good reformulations, the inclusion of cumin is genious!).

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I like womanly chypres and orientals, maybe it has to do with the fact that I am usually confident about my perfume, I love to use it and never had complaints.
    Of course some restraint is needed, but that is the case with most perfumes, isn't it? (too much of a good thing and all that)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I've had a sample sitting around for some time now, but haven't been in a hurry to try it. Since I didn't apply anything while shopping with my daughter today at the outlet mall, I just put some RF on my wrist so I could ride this wave with you gals.

Hmmm, it's not exactly "me," but I could understand how someone else might crave it. I think what I like is the key signature these notes are singing in (low), but the tune is foreign (the cumin effect, I suppose). If I met someone wearing RF, I wouldn't recognize it, but I'd probably comment to the wearer that I find their fragrance interesting, which is a compliment. However, if I worked with someone who wore this all the time, I think it might become annoying.

[While I didn't find any new frags today, daughter and I did stop at the Jelly Belly Factory, and the cappuccino jelly bean is outstanding! The caramel apple jelly bean was awful.]
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I gave Femme another try Sunday night after a warm shower and ....YUM and YUM!
    It was a nice calm day with my little one and I think I was in a better frame of mind to try a strong scent.
    Quarry, I love Jelly-Belly!! I actually bought a small bottle of Lou Lou simply because the smell reminds me of jelly beans God, I'm such a foodie...

Thumbs up Re: Your thoughts on Rochas Femme?

I think Femme is womanly, warm and classy, even mystical. I'm not wearing it much (I don't know why ... maybe I have to many ...) For me this is a typical evening parfume on cold days

I smelled the EDT and the fruit registered as prune, not plum. It was syrupy and medicinal. Maybe this is the plastic note people talk about.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    Quarry, I love Jelly-Belly!!
    I'll bring some to that pity party you're throwing!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I love Femme EDP, beautiful. I also have a couple bottles of the vintage stuff...a cologne and the parfum. All are gorgeous.

Talking Re: Your thoughts on Rochas Femme?

You know what is really annoying - but great in a twisted universe kinda way?
    You read about Femme Rochas (and heaps others for that matter) at the descriptions of this fragrance are nearly orgasmic! I seriously was fanning myself and twisting on my seat as I read the descriptions of this 'knock em dead' 'femme fatale' 'Grrrr' nasal sensation. Well, I just HAD to get some.
    So, I bought, hands wringing, bank account crying, husband glaring a 100ml EDT of the 'Sex in a bottle' scent Rochas Femme.
    I practically ripped the box open like a smoker with their first packet after running out on a camping trip.
    I sprayed, I sniffed and my gut reaction? Bloody HELL! It's MITSOUKO!
    Bugger, Bugger, Bugger. But, I wore it to work the next day and later I was thinking, 'no, not Mitsouko but not quite what I wanted'.
    What I wanted was a cross between Mitsouko and Yvresse - if such a thing is possible! I do like it - I am forcing myself to wear it a couple of times a week, but I haven't had the visceral twist you get when you spray something, and you are having a 'When Harry Met Sally' moment. I must say, these moments are rare - and are to be treasured and remembered.
    But Rochas Femme - I don't think I will purchase again - even though the price was terrific. I am going to sell my left kidney or first born child for some MITSOUKO PARFUM - that is bliss!

All positive thoughts about Femme! But I have to be in the mood... well, like with most of them, you know...

Inspired by all the comments here, I went to a department store to relive my great moments with Femme. Femme was my first serious scent back in the beginning of nineties, but I've forgotten about it since then. Now I went back to look for the plastic note (found none) or vomit (none). It's still soft and feminine on my skin.

I was going to have, as Gumoosh would call it, a Harry-met-Sally moment, remembering everything I experienced with the perfume, when I realized it's not me anymore. I've grown into Mitsouko, which is an introverted version of the in-your-face-in-a-lovely-kind-way extrovert Femme. But what memories, ah! to be young...

I got an absolute bargain on this very early in the year. I love it, but on cold days! It's a bit toomuch for me on warmer days. I find it very womanly, plus it reminds me of patisserie, which is never a bad thing.

Today I was shocked! I got a bottle of Avon Occur. I have to try some of them because of good rewievs. It was a twin-sister to Rochas Femme! I can almost not smell the difference. Occur is like a Femme Light, so it's more easy to wear. I am suprised of the quality to.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I've come around to liking Femme since discovering how well it layers with Rochas Poupee.

The Poupee, with its woozy gardenia and sweet orange blossom and jasmine, erases the so-called sour vomit note in Femme, while the Femme tames the over-the-top florals of Poupee. The combination offers everything: flowers, fruit, womanly base notes, and that French air.

I enjoy cumin as a note so Femme is a scent I appreciate and wear. I especially
    like it right out of the shower in the evening.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Getting to know this one. I am definitely getting a predominant almond note, powdery but not too sweet. I like the suggestion of trying it in the evening after a shower. I just might do that tonight.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

I'm afraid to revisit this breathtaking frag since it's been designated "new". It was one of my all time favorites when I was in the ad game in NYC and living in power suits and stiletto heels. Last time I wore Femme was in the late 60's. So many of those greats from "the old days" seem to be a shadow of their former selves.....

I can almost smell her fruity potency - never to be taken for anything other than herself than herself. A powerful presence "Woman" always took over the room!!

Think I'm going to leave my memories alone......(drifts off into purple sunset, murmuring to self...)....and take up with Carnal Flower!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze