Code of Conduct

Default Women's Jasmine on men

Hi - although it's probably one of my absolute favourite scents in the world, from what I can tell Jasmine seems to be classified as a feminine scent. As someone who has two large jasmine plants, I'd love nothing more than to walk around all day smelling like jasmine, if only to make myself happy.

Do any of you have male friends, husbands, boyfriends etc who smell good in some of your jasmine heavy scents? Or maybe they have their own bottles?

I posted this on the men's board a while ago, and someone recommended Jasmal by Creed. I managed to get a bottle for a low price, and am waiting on it.

Which ones would you recommend for a guy, if any?
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 15th October 2006 at 12:57 PM.

Default Re: Women's Jasmine on men

Hmm - OK, maybe if I get more specific.

Jasmin de Nuit, Full Jasmin, and Jasmal all seem to get rave reviews on this site and elsewhere as gragrances that basically smell like Jasmine flowers in a bottle.

If I wear these, will I smell like jasmine flowers, or like someone who should be wearing a nice summer dress?
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    Hmm - OK, maybe if I get more specific.

Jasmin de Nuit, Full Jasmin, and Jasmal all seem to get rave reviews on this site and elsewhere as gragrances that basically smell like Jasmine flowers in a bottle.

If I wear these, will I smell like jasmine flowers, or like someone who should be wearing a nice summer dress?
    Hail, Caesar! This seems to be a very hot potatoe! To be honest, the only man I know who is wearing strong jasmine scents is a performing artist. He loves them but he sometimes indeed performs in a dress. But..who cares? In my fragrance wardrobe I have indoor and outdoor scents. Basically indoors is a scent that is very strong but much loved by myself and my DH. I think a feminine jasmine scent on a man can be great, but possibly also gives a 'feminine' signal. If you don't mind: wear it and be proud of it. The moment you are afraid that other people 'read' your scent signal wrongly, start wearing it in the safety of your home. Enjoy it, get used to it and then when you will feel confident about it, wear it also when you go out. There always will be scents that you love, but will be disliked by the ones who smell it. Can't please everybody. In the end it is all about you: do you feel confident enough to wear a scent that is supposed to be 'the scent af a woman'. I would certainly give it a try. And...collect as many samples of your beloved jasmine as you can get. Trying a lot of scents on your skin is the best thing you can do right now IMHO. Good luck and please let us know what your experiences are

Red face Re: Women's Jasmine on men

Ave Caesar,

I also love the scent of jasmin and am proud of my plants loaded with heavenly smelling flowers. Of course I have no fear of wearing jasmin scents. I use a very cheap jasmin cologne from an unknown manufacturer based in Calabria. It is a true joy to wear this fine dewy fragrance (Gelsomino ionico) in the early morning hours of hot summer days. This scent, which is very similar to Serge Lutens' A la nuit at a fraction of price, delicately lasts a while without being feminine or tranny. Until some years ago Tunisian men are used to wear jasmin flowers behind an ear, the right if married, the left if not.) Sometimes I layer it with a plain citrus fragrance, just to add some heart to the citrus, or with sandalwood and/or rose oil for more warmth in cold days.
    Hugs.

THanks both of you! Riannon, that's really funny that your one male friend who wears jasmine also wears a dress!

And Waldemar, I'm very pleased to hear that Tuniasian men were wearing jasmine flowers.

Basically, I'm not afraid to smell like Jasmine - my concern was more about the jasmine fragrances - do they really, really smell like actual jasmine flowers? (And I mean Jasmine from the vine/plant, and not the murraya paniculata tree, which is also nice, but less so).

My concern is that women's fragrances often have this really "girly" or "old lady" twist on them. When you have male and female versions of the same fragrance, I often find the female one quite distasteful.

But in the end all I can do is try them and see!

I have some jasmal coming in the mail, hope that;s nice!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Caesar,
    Jasmine can smell gorgeous on a man. One of my male customers fell in love instantly with Tamya, the perfume I named after my daughter. It smelled so beautiful on him, it made me forget instantly about all the silly stereotypes about men not supposed to wear florals (which is really unfortunate).
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=70

My other jasmine dominated scent Megumi will also smell gorgeous on a man. It's a woody chypre with a base of oudh.

I have a few jasmine dominatd scents in my line, including Moon Breath and Yasmin (a soliflore jasmine). The descriptions and notes are on my website, ayalamoriel.com, and the fragrance pyramid is also on the basenotes directory:
    http://www.basenotes.net/house/102178

I think, as long as a scent actually interacts with your skin, it will smell lovely on you even if it was originally designed for a man. I find this particualry true for my fragrances, which are all-natural. They seem to interact witht he body chemistry, and therefore when worn they smell like the person wearing them combined with the perfume. That's is why th division of male and female scents in my line is actually artificial (I think all of the scents will smell equally beautiful on both men and women).

If you want to try any of these scents, you can PM me or email me directly ayala@ayalamoriel.com
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Actually, I was looking at your Yasmin since that article on your line on appeared on the basenotes frontpage. I guess this is a good opportunity to ask you a few questions then. Please excuse my ignorance! I'm new to most of this.

Why is something called a soliflor if there are about ten oils listed in the head, heart and base? Is it because the jasmine is by far predominant?

When you have an 8ml parfum extrait how is that meant to be worn? Is it meant to be diluted by the buyer into and eau de toilette/parfum? Is it a roll on where you only need to use a very little?

Also, Yasmin has Gardenia listen in the heart - someone just told me that there's no such thing as gardenia oil, and that's why there aren't any gardenia perfumes. I guess they were wrong?

And definitely I'm not ashamed of florals - give me lilacs and jasmine and stargazer lillies and bougainvillea any day! (Why are there no fragrances with bougainvillea?) The one floral I have is a small vial or Iris Nobile which I really enjoy.

That said, and given the fact that you refer to the male female division of your lines as somewhat artificial - why does it exist at all? Is there a marketing aspect to dividing fragrances? I've always thought that the great bulk of men's colognes work well on women, and should be unisex, and thus imagined that if they're divided up it must be for some kind of marketing reason.

Thanks!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 17th October 2006 at 02:49 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Actually, I was looking at your Yasmin since that article on your line on appeared on the basenotes frontpage. I guess this is a good opportunity to ask you a few questions then. Please excuse my ignorance! I'm new to most of this.
    Hey Gaivs Ivlvs Caesar!
    Thanks for your interest in my perfumes and for all the great questions!
    I am going to try to answer them one by one here:

Why is something called a soliflor if there are about ten oils listed in the head, heart and base? Is it because the jasmine is by far predominant?
    A soliflore scent is a scent that smells strongly and dominantly of one note (it doesn't have to be a flower, though most soliflores are floral). The other notes are added for three main reasons:

1- To accentuate certain aspects of the note (i.e.: the greenness of a rose, the spiciness of a carnation, the sweetness of orange flower, etc.)

2- To create a solid structure for a perfume, which will include base, heart and top notes. Jasmine, for example, is a heart note. But if you only use jasmine, it will not have a lot of presence in the top notes, and also will not last for long enouhg. That is why certain notes are added at the top and the base (I added cassie, which is a floral base note slightly reminiscent of jasmine to extend the life of the perfume on the skin; and I added mimosa and frangipani as the top notes - they are light and bring out the effervescence of the fresh jasmine petals).

3- The other notes also add interest and depth. It is known that most humans find a complex scent more pleasant than a single note, and I guess that is why perfumes are made to begin with...

When you have an 8ml parfum extrait how is that meant to be worn? Is it meant to be diluted by the buyer into and eau de toilette/parfum? Is it a roll on where you only need to use a very little?
    Extrait is more common in the world of feminine fragrances - it is worn on its own, and is simply the most concentrated perfume product. It is dabbed (or can be put in a roll on if you prefer; some even spray it, but I won't recommend that). Parfum Extraits are usually deeper, stay close to the skin, and last longer than the EDT and the EDP.

They can also be layered as a base underneath the EDT or the EDP - but this is not necessary.

Also, Yasmin has Gardenia listen in the heart - someone just told me that there's no such thing as gardenia oil, and that's why there aren't any gardenia perfumes. I guess they were wrong?

And definitely I'm not ashamed of florals - give me lilacs and jasmine and stargazer lillies and bougainvillea any day! (Why are there no fragrances with bougainvillea?) The one floral I have is a small vial or Iris Nobile which I really enjoy.
    Gardenia absolute is very rare and expensive. It is not cost effective to produce gardenia, as it is easier to reproduce the scent with a combination of natural essences and aromachemicals. I refer to a gardenia accord not to a specific gardenia essence, which is really hard to procure. The gardenia note I refer to is the impression that is created by the different essences in the parfum rather than a specific note. When I use certain types of jasmine together, there is a subtle yet recognizable gardenia presence. I have also created an accord for violet flower (as in my perfume "Viola"), though violet flower absolute is almost impossible to obtain, for the same reason (cost effectiveness).

That said, and given the fact that you refer to the male female division of your lines as somewhat artificial - why does it exist at all? Is there a marketing aspect to dividing fragrances? I've always thought that the great bulk of men's colognes work well on women, and should be unisex, and thus imagined that if they're divided up it must be for some kind of marketing reason.
    This division is something I offer on my site to make it easier on the customers who do think by those paradigms. I often get approached by customers who want me to point out to them the "most masculine perfumes I have", so I think this may make things easier on them. Most males are quite conservative when it comes to fragrances, and won't be too comfortable wearing a floral perfume. For them, I grouped all the scents that have a definite "masculine" tone (as is the accepted definition of it in the market), and can be worn as such. Women, it seems to be more comfortable than men (except for in this wonderful Basenotes community) to do perfume "cross dressing" for the most part. I hope this will change in the future (I think it is already changing, actually).

Hope this answered the questions, and if not - drop me a ling!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer

Overcome By Fumes

I would have to echo that it is not necessary to consider jasmine a purely feminine scent. Indeed, jasmine is sometimes considered the "king" of flowers (rose is the "queen"). I too love the fragrance of Jasminum officinale as well as Jasminum sambac, although honestly I love the other false jasmines as well. I haven't spent a lot of time with jasmine soliflores, but I recall entering an Annick Goutal shop when Jasmin was released and it really did recall true jasmine. I think you would be interested in the Hombre de Flores Jasminum made by Fresh, although it may no longer be in production--a men's jasmine fragrance!

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Lemon, Lime, Green Notes, Galbanum,

Middle Notes
    Juniper Berry, Basil Maroc, Jasmine Flowers,

Base Notes
    Moss, Fir Cones, French Cypress

I have never smelled a scent from Bougainvillea! Perhaps that is why it is not used in perfumes.

Others have already said it well, but thought I'd add my voice to the chorus. I know that in India jasmine is said to be the the "king of flowers." Many men there wear the heady jasmine attars. I hardly think it's an issue if you want to wear jasmine fragrances.

Another jasmine I would reccomend is by Madini Talisman- their jasmine oil. Beautiful and very long lasting. I think you'll be quite pleased. madini.com
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Thanks again for these insights and comments.

You've never smelled anything from a Bougainvillea? Hmm, maybe it was something else making that scent, but there are a bunch of Bougainvillea that I walked by and it was just heaven, so I assumed that's what the smell was. It's a heady scent, kind of like lilac, but headier and less sweet.

Now here's an example of what I'm concerned about when it comes to a jasmine fragrance - as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I obtained a shockingly low priced bottle of Creed's Jasmal, on the recommendation of someone in the men's section. I recieved it today. It's a nice fragrance, but I was dissapointed because the jasmine is lost in rose and daffodil. I've seen it described as a soliflore, but to my untrained olfactory nerves it has as much rose as jasmine. Is it not a soliflore? It's very light and "pleasant" where I'm looking for thick and heady. I don't think jasmine is an un-masculine scent, but I'd classify Jasmal as "girly fragrance"! [actually since I wrote this, I like it more and more - however, it still wasn't at all what I was looking for]

Perhaps different kinds of jasmine are very different from eachother in smell? The Jasmine in Jasmal is "Indian Jasmine" which I'm unfamilliar with. Is that why I'm disappointed? Is this jasmine different than the one I know/want?

How are different jasmine flowers different?

At home I have what I think is a Jasmine Sambac plant/vine like this one

However, I've seen aother entirely different looking flower referred to as sambac as well. I also have a Murraya Paniculata tree, which people usually call a "Jasmine tree" which smells rather different from the sambac, but I don't think they're actually related species.

The Jasmine Sambac - or whatever is in the photo is what I want.

So Ayala - Are your Jasmine fragrances alot heavier on the Jasmine? I see that Yasmin and Tamya have Jasmine Sambac at the heart. What I'm looking for is that really heady and thick intoxicating experience you get from jasmine.

I'm going to have to get some samples!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 19th October 2006 at 01:54 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Hi Caesar,

There are in fact three main types of jasmine used in perfumery:
    Grandiflorum - full bodied, indolic, sweet, round, this is the "classical" jasmine scent.
    Sambac - fruity, more heady, slightly green, smells very fresh, and also tropical. To me it smells very similar to gardenia actually.
    Auriculatum - this is so green it almost doesn't smell like jasmine any more. It's alsmot grassy, pungent and peppery. It has the greeness of jasmine sambac exaggarated to no avail... I personally dislike it on its own, but it's really valuable for green florals. It adds a heart note that is green and floral at once, with long lasting and diffusive powers; It's very potent.

Yasmin, my jasmine soliflore is focused on the jasmine. No roses involved LOL! The other florals supporting it all have jasminey qualities to them - frangipani, cassie, and the mimosa adds a bit of "air" to the top notes to lift it. I used the two types of jasmine - Jasmine Sambac, which lends the green and fruity nuances in the opening, the dewy impression of jasmine petals in the morning; and Jasmine Grandiflorum, which is more indolic and warm and sensual and smells more dusky, which reminds me of the scents of jasmine flowers after sunset.
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=73

Tamya, on the other hand, is much more light and ethereal, with hardly any grandiflorum in it. It's mostly jasmine sambac, and its gardenia and fruity qualities are supported by yuzu (Japanese citron with intense grapefruit aroma), frangipani and ylang ylang, and the base is a soft cedar and skin-musk with a hint of vanilla.

My other jasmine dominated scents are:

Moon Breath, which is in an oil base, and has mostly jasmine grandiflorum, ylang ylang, bergamot, amber and incense (both frankincense and sandalwood).
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=41

Megumi, which is a woody floral chypre; it has equal amounts of rose and jasmine, so it may not be exactly what you are looking for though...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer

I know it may not help much because it is discontinued but Feuille Verte is based on jasmine absolute. And what a note it is.....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

You might want to try À la Nuit by Serge Lutens. To me, it is a pas trop femme, non-old-lady jasmine.

Someone else recommended that to me too (serge Lutens) and it gets uninanimous raves on basenotes directory. Another one that I hear great things about is Montale Full Jasmine. THe crazy thing is that I have a friend who demos but I'm never ever near her work. I will try them eventually.

So far I ordered three samples from Ayala - I veered way from just jasmine though, because other things in her line got me curious - Yasmin, a Jasmine soliflore, Zohar, an Orange Blossom soliflore (just as exciting as jasmine - even moreso because I can't fit orange trees in my appartment) and one called Black Licorice! I have a feeling that if I like them and buy the bottles, I'll end up having to struggle hard not to drink them...
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Obsession for women is primarily jasmine and amber, I tihnk a guy could pull it off.

In the end after a lot of tempting leads (A La Nuit is really great, and I wanted to try Feuille Verte especially since hirsch duckfinder has lester young as his avatar!) I found what I was looking for- Yasmin by Ayala Moriel, who is Ayala on this board, and who has a post two stories up.

Mmmm. Jasmine! http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125752.html

Do I even need to say anything else? I was looking for jasmine, and that's what it is. It has decent longevity, and comes in a gorgeous little frosted teardrop bottle. My only wish is that I could have it in industrial quanitites with a spray, but Ayala has a 45% discount if you buy three, and also I think on refills which is great.

I'm not sure if it's because it's all natural, or because of the nature of the fragrance, but it has a real calmative effect. Also it is 100% non-abrasive to inhale - I find even my favourite scents are a little harsh on the throat in comparison. It's a pleasure.

I was also really into some of the other samples I got from her, in particular Zohar an orange blossom soliflore, and Black Licorice, which is predominantly (to my nose) star anise. These also have the same calmative effect. It's hard not to drink them in fact!

So thanks for all the suggestions, and thanks to Ayala for her great work!

Mission accomplished.

Nuit Noire by Mona di Orio.

Intense, but a man can carry this off, I think.

Last edited by scentemental; 4th December 2006 at 05:47 PM.

I enjoyed reading this thread from start to finish, and I learned so much from it about jasmine. I love Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    I enjoyed reading this thread from start to finish, and I learned so much from it about jasmine. I love Basenotes.
    Ditto! :bounce:

Am also a jasmine-aholic and so far it's Montale in first place and Tamya a close second. But the hunt continues - Hail Caesar!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze