Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Why does Kouros smell like pee pee?

I just received a sample of Civet parfum from Michael Storer. Comparing it to Kouros (drydown), I can say with more confidence that its the civet thats causing all the commotion. Its not as raw smelling as the civet sample because of other notes like amber, honey, moss, vanilla, clove toning down its "sexual" potency, but it definitely is there.

Its probably the most clear-smelling civet I have experienced in a perfume.
    -

^ and is this Storer Civet parfum meant to wear alone or for layering? Are there any other notes in it at all?...I can see how civet is used to augment fragrances, but i just can't imagine wearing pure piss gland juice, not matter how valuable and high quality it is.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    Aren't there ethical issues in terms of harvesting civet glands or something?
    perhaps, but there is no issue with harvesting urinal cakes from public restrooms. (sorry couldnt resist)

Quote Originally Posted by marcuccio88
    perhaps, but there is no issue with harvesting urinal cakes from public restrooms. (sorry couldnt resist)
    See - even if this is a much revisited topic, it doesn't mean that we don't keep coming up with improtant new insights!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    ^ and is this Storer Civet parfum meant to wear alone or for layering? Are there any other notes in it at all?...I can see how civet is used to augment fragrances, but i just can't imagine wearing pure piss gland juice, not matter how valuable and high quality it is.
    Probably for layering. I cant see anyone wearing this by itself.

I will probably experiment by layering it with GIT, Envy, Live Jazz, etc...all sorts of crazy combinations
    -

If I remember correctly, most civet today is synthetic. Most musk certainly is.

Even when it's not, I don't think it's inhumane to harvest certain glandular secretions while an animal is alive. I mean, dogs have anal glands which have to be expressed, and I think that certain deers have their civet harvested in a similar way. But I could be wrong.

Someone said the civet glads were scraped - which assumed dissection. Even if they're alive, I'd guess that they keep them trapped in cages all their lives as gland factories. Can't imagine Yves running around the jungle looking for civets every time he wants to produce a new bottle!

In this case I hope it's synthetic!

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy

Even when it's not, I don't think it's inhumane to harvest certain glandular secretions while an animal is alive. I mean, dogs have anal glands which have to be expressed, and I think that certain deers have their civet harvested in a similar way. But I could be wrong.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy

tvlampboy,

You're correct that most civet used today is synthetic as are most musks. However, you are confusing the civet cat with the musk deer. Certain musk deer are harvested for their musk sacs, which can be removed with little pain to the animal.

The process of attaining real civet is very painful and traumatic to the animal, a cat-like arboreal creature. In order to produce high levels of civet for harvesting, the Civet Cat (Viverra Civeta) is kept for years in a small cramped cage, feed copious amounts of raw meat and little else, and is regularly tormented to increase stress levels which aid in the production of more glandular secretions from the perineal glands, which are then periodically scrapped to remove the yellow waxy secretions we call civet. This process can go on for up to a numbers of years for any one cat at the rate of anywhere from two to four scappings per week. It's very cruel and very painful to the animal.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 17th October 2006 at 05:15 PM.

This is the best title for a thread I've ever seen!

But I'm afraid, I've never got pee out of Kouros, just cloves and honey...

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpanic
    You're not squeezing hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpanic
    That's exactly what I smell! (adding Mirrh..)

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    i think it's the honey
    RTbar is correct. The phenylacetic acid that provides Kouros' honey note is what produces the urine smell. The same honey ingredient gives Lutens' Miel de Bois, another notorious "urine" scent, the same sweet pee smell. Civet smells like feces, not urine. Any one-year-old can tell you pee and poo smell different.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    RTbar is correct. The phenylacetic acid that provides Kouros' honey note is what produces the urine smell. The same honey ingredient gives Lutens' Miel de Bois, another notorious "urine" scent, the same sweet pee smell. Civet smells like feces, not urine. Any one-year-old can tell you pee and poo smell different.

Damn.............

Still one of the sharpest cats I ever met!

For the record (And I sound like a broken record, I know....) :

All I've ever gotten outta Kouros is some dry woods (which is kinda cool), some cloves, and that damn honey note which, thankfully, subsides after some time.

It doesn't really smell all that nasty to me.........

YMMV.

Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Any one-year-old can tell you pee and poo smell different.
    Huh huh huh, huh huh, huh - he said pee and poo!

And for the record, I don't think Kouros is nasty, I just think it kind of smells like sugary pee, at least when you use a full spray and don't smear it around to thin out the concentration of it in one spot.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    Huh huh huh, huh huh, huh - he said pee and poo!

And for the record, I don't think Kouros is nasty, I just think it kind of smells like sugary pee, at least when you use a full spray and don't smear it around to thin out the concentration of it in one spot.
    So sugary pee is not nasty?

Other things that are not nasty:
    • Spicy phlegm
    • Creamy stomach acid
    • Sparkling (carbonated) perspiration
    • Athelete's foot a la mode
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    There is no Nose....

Smile Re: Why does Kouros smell like pee pee?

Y'all just nasty.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I dont' get the urine smell if that's what you're referring to. I used to wear this fragrance when it first came out and have enjoyed it. They may have altered the formula? I haven't smelled it recently so I don't know.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS