Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Have you ever known when you put on too much cologne?

Also, are you ever embrassed because you are wafting of cologne and you know people know, but you don't know if they like the smell? I find msyelf giving myself about 4-5 shots of spray and rubbing it off my neck before class because I do not want to reek of it. Am I weird or does anyone else do this sort of thing?

Default Re: Have you ever known when you put on too much cologne?

I know it's arrogance but if I like it.........................

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Actually, there was this one time when I sprayed on Santa Maria Novella's Melograno just before a car ride. No extreme application, just like 2 sprays to the neck. Now mind you, Melograno has some pretty heavy sillage going on, especially in the first hour or so.

I was sitting in the back of the car with my aunt and I myself was nearly breaking down in shame from the sillage. It probably wouldn't have been such an issue if we'd be outside in the stormy winds, but this situation really nailed the fact that I just sprayed on a fragrance.

It's a lovely scent but still.. that moment made me realize that certain fragrances require some time to "cool in" to your skin so that it doesn't overpower on you (and others).
    Last edited by BrothaG; 16th October 2006 at 09:10 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

There can never be "too much cologne" LoL :bounce:
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I've known there were days when I put on too much.

My standard story about this was about New Haarlem.

My first trials of this were from a small sample vial, so I was used to 5 or 6 dabs from the end of my finger.

When I got my first decant, I used 5 or 6 SPRAYS.

I thought it might be a problem when I got in my car to drive to work and my eyes started watering by the time I got to the end of the block.

I KNEW it was a problem when someone smelled me coming from around the corner.

Ever since, I'm much more aware of the sillage beasts in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    Also, are you ever embrassed because you are wafting of cologne and you know people know, but you don't know if they like the smell? I find msyelf giving myself about 4-5 shots of spray and rubbing it off my neck before class because I do not want to reek of it. Am I weird or does anyone else do this sort of thing?
    What scent is it? Maybe you should just apply less, and/or put some of it under your shirt instead of your neck. Rubbing off is no good, and, of course, a waste of the precious juice. There is a difference between simply not liking someones fragrance and suffocating from a cloud of cologne.

Sometimes this happens to me. In general I prefer wearing frags rather for my own delight and for the persons that come close to me. Maybe this is the reason why I don´t get much compliments :-) A few days ago I planned to go to my office on foot (one hour to go) but a friend picked me up with his car full of people I dindn´t know and it was hell for me: Before leaving home I sprayed a good amount of Noir Epices on my wrists, neck and hair and the car was immediately filled with the NE sillage and everyone stared at me: "looks like someone overdid it with perfume". Sure they weren´t aware of how beautifull NE is but I felt bad. I actually hate to much sillage...
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Smile Re: Have you ever known when you put on too much cologne?

This happened to me with M 7 (Yves Saint Laurent): As participant of a exchange year in university I was invited home by a (foreign) friend from my faculty. The day before the trip (the whole story happened in North Italy) - must have been the last week before christmas 2005 - I had bought M 7.

However, on saturday evening - the evening after my arrival at this friend's home - I put on loads of M 7, at least seven sprays. The whole family of my friend was at home, e.g. himself, mother, father and sister.

Circa two minutes after I had sprayed on M 7 extensively the mother shouted from the kitchen to her daughter, whose room was next to mine: "Put out this horribly scented CANDLE!!!".

I was pretty embarrassed when I entered the kitchen and said: "I'm so sorry, this is my new cologne, I didn't know it was so powerful." But this was such a polite mother. She apologized a thousand times because she for herself couldn't know etc. etc.

So from this moment on I knew at least how "impressive" M 7 is.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    This happened to me with M 7 (Yves Saint Laurent): As participant of a exchange year in university I was invited home by a (foreign) friend from my faculty. The day before the trip (the whole story happened in North Italy) - must have been the last week before christmas 2005 - I had bought M 7.

However, on saturday evening - the evening after my arrival at this friend's home - I put on loads of M 7, at least seven sprays. The whole family of my friend was at home, e.g. himself, mother, father and sister.

Circa two minutes after I had sprayed on M 7 extensively the mother shouted from the kitchen to her daughter, whose room was next to mine: "Put out this horribly scented CANDLE!!!".

I was pretty embarrassed when I entered the kitchen and said: "I'm so sorry, this is my new cologne, I didn't know it was so powerful." But this was such a polite mother. She apologized a thousand times because she for herself couldn't know etc. etc.

So from this moment on I knew at least how "impressive" M 7 is.
    That is hilarious!!! See my post on M7 i just did. I did it before i read this thread too. And, also, there is no such thing as to much cologne. There is such a thing as to little.
    Awesomeguy

The frags I was wearing was Brit and Uomo? Moschino. Usually I over do the number of sprays because I am afraid I will not be able to smell it. Then I think I put too much on causing me to reek of perfume. This happens all the time. I always say I will put on 2 sprays but really want to smell the cologne so I put on more. Then I end up worried that I put on too much cologne and people will notice. I am weird like that.

Too much cologne would be 40-50 sprays of M7; especially when you start smelling like a cinnamon bun!
    -

Oh yeah, I do that too.

I get up and say "I'll spray 3 times", but end up spraying 6 or 7 times.

2 on the chest, 1 on the belly, 1 on the neck, 1 on each wrist, which I share with my ear, and 1 on the neck or on the shirt, for longevity.

But that's just with Lacoste Style in Play, since I don't think that's a heavy scent.

Yes!. But instead i got compliments for it....
    Today I wore about 9 sprays of Insensé (wich is too much for me) and i got about 6 people saying it smelled amazing throughout the day and one even said that "he always smells great" with some sort of fun-envy tint to it.
    It was very surprising and very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    "Put out this horribly scented CANDLE!!!"
    LOL! Beware of M7 candles!
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

I'm always pretty conscious about how much I put on, especially because I have a roommate who doesn't wear cologne(but is radically chill about everything, so it's cool), and I don't want to stink up our room or the hall with two shots of Visit. I sometimes get the comment "your cologne is very strong" from my friend who deliberately does not wear cologne(and also happens to have no sense of fashion and awful technique with the ladies.. he could use an update on the times, but that's beside the point), but that's only immediately after I apply it and I'm going somewhere with him. I usually respond with, "no, it's not." That generally does the trick. It's a battle of individual sensory experiences, and I don't happen to care how he perceives it due to his attitude. I like this mindset and usually follow it in most situations - I can go to a cafe or something and not really care how much I put on, but since I live in a dorm and have enclosed classrooms and lecture halls filled with lots of people in close proximity to me, I tend to be aware of how much sillage I'm putting out. I'd assume I could tell when I'm wearing too much, though.

I'll always underspray rather than overdo it. I'd rather have it be weak and not have AMAZING sillage than reek of it and have everyone around me at uni secretly thinking to themselves "This guy is a f***ing idiot".

The thing is, many people will compliment you on your cologne, but 99% of people would just suck it up and be angry rather than call someone out on overdoing it. An overwhelming majority of people will suffer before creating even a minimal confrontation with a stranger.

Some people on here seem to have no concern for that though, something I disagree with. Even for a big fan of fragrance, there's nothing worse than sitting next to somebody who bathed in even the nicest fragrance out there. It will really lower peoples' opinion of you and it's terribly rude.

So that said, I just usually do a three spray rule for most things, adjusting a little depending on the fragrance (ie. more for something light summery, less for powerful stuff like A*Men or M7). There is no hard and fast way to solve this problem, but I think you can get a feel for it yourself - Don't use the "I can't smell my cologne so I better put more on" logic though lol.

Like I said before, just because three people said you smelled great doesn't mean that eighty people you came across that day were thinking to themselves "This guy reeks of cologne". They just won't tell you.
    Last edited by acehimself; 16th October 2006 at 11:20 PM.

Like Ace, I tend to underspray myself as well. I'd rather leave a gentle trail then hit strangers in the head with a sack of bricks.

I actually prefer wearing my scents very subtle. There are only a few days when I really want to project and on those days, I'll wear more than 2 or 3 sprays.

Hmmm my overapplication story deals with Paco Robanne XS. It's a fresh scent, but a powerful one. Usually one spray is enough of this stuff - that's also due to the fact that the sprayer pumps out a loooooooot of this stuff with only one press. When I first received this in the mail, I had no idea how strong it was. I knew it was a fresh scent so I proceeded to spray myself 4 or 5 times (chest, neck, wrists, back of neck, shirt) before leaving the house to go out with a group of friends. I THOUGHT we were going to meet at the bar but instead, we met up at one of their appartments first. I figured that at a bar, we'd be moving around, walking around, etc. etc. so the scent would never really be able to build up in an area where it would be intolerable. Instead, we met at my friend's small appartment in his little room where everyone was sitting around. I KNEW it was uber strong when I walked into the room and 10 seconds later, my friend asks "Who's wearing cologne?" and proceeded to drill me about what it was and where I got it. Also, I knew I overdid it when some girls arrived and the moment they stepped into the room, one of them asks "Mmmm who smells so good?" and they proceeded to compliment me.

I guess my overdoing it went in my favour since everyone liked the fragrance - but I still feel bad. I can't imagine what it would've been like if it were a different fragrance that was less likable.

My dad also hates fragrances so around him, I almost always HAVE to wear them very subtly or else he'll start complaining.
    Last edited by myaccolades; 16th October 2006 at 11:37 PM.

When I first tried Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme this happened to me. I have since learned that one wide patterned spray to my chest, and one on each thigh is sufficient.

As with most colognes I did the general; one shot to the throat, one on each wrist, and a light spritz on my shirt. I got in the car with my sister and one of her friends. They exclaimed; "Wow! What did you do, rub a lemon all over yourself, and smoke a cigar before you got in the car?" I was like; "No, just experimenting with a new fragrance" *red face*.

The bad thing is -as I sit there in her car I could smell the wafts of heavy tobacco and citrus myself, so strongly it was almost sickening. I have learned to go easy on the trigger with this one since then.
    Join The Revolution. Howard 100 & Howard 101. Sirius Satellite Radio. No More BS!

Also, Hugo Boss Dark Blue.

My uncle had a tester, and he sprayed me 3 or 4 times with it. I was only 12 at the time. I liked the smell and I was a happy camper, but as soon as we got on the cab to make our way back to our home, the smell became stronger and stronger, kinda made me nautious.

I did not buy the fragrance just because of that one experience >_<

I went to my baby sister's wedding a few years back and -- looking back -- I guess I put on WAY too much Antaeus. I mean, it's an incredible scent, and decidedly formal, but WOW -- I thought the other members of the wedding party were going to pass out between the Chanel and the incense.
    My older brother told me that I "smelled like a French whore." (Upon hearing that, I had to remind him that I'm NOT French.)

Quote Originally Posted by acehimself
    I'll always underspray rather than overdo it. I'd rather have it be weak and not have AMAZING sillage than reek of it and have everyone around me at uni secretly thinking to themselves "This guy is a f***ing idiot".

The thing is, many people will compliment you on your cologne, but 99% of people would just suck it up and be angry rather than call someone out on overdoing it. An overwhelming majority of people will suffer before creating even a minimal confrontation with a stranger.

Some people on here seem to have no concern for that though, something I disagree with. Even for a big fan of fragrance, there's nothing worse than sitting next to somebody who bathed in even the nicest fragrance out there. It will really lower peoples' opinion of you and it's terribly rude.

So that said, I just usually do a three spray rule for most things, adjusting a little depending on the fragrance (ie. more for something light summery, less for powerful stuff like A*Men or M7). There is no hard and fast way to solve this problem, but I think you can get a feel for it yourself - Don't use the "I can't smell my cologne so I better put more on" logic though lol.

Like I said before, just because three people said you smelled great doesn't mean that eighty people you came across that day were thinking to themselves "This guy reeks of cologne". They just won't tell you.
    This well expresses my own view. A sillage of about 5 feet is about right I think. But more is bad. It isn't just that a lot of people won't tell you that you reek, they will think you're a joke, and the sillage of THAT will just last and last forever. I overdo this all the time, because I think if I can only barely smell it then other people probably can't smell it at all. And then I find that that is not true — and I feel terrible. The problem is I have to learn by trial and error how much of a particular frag is too much, and repeat for every one since they are so different. I also have to remind myself about sensory constancy: the senses react to changes in the stimulus, and if it is constant then they cease to register. So over time you will not register your own scent, but someone coming fresh to it will.

Yesterday I overdid Van Cleef and Arpels and I can still smell it on me today. Not a good feeling.

Spraying M7 40–50 times—well, I just can't imagine how that would go down.

you guys would be up the creek with a fragrance like musc ravaguer where one spray might be too much...

Today I wore Himalaya, about 4 sprays total. Not sure how much siliage was produced, but I think it was the appropriate amount. Indeed, practice makes perfect but you should probably practice indoors, and alone

Oh sure. I've made my share of poor judgement on the power of certain colognes. Desire, Bulgari Aqua (yes, sillage is pretty powerful to those around you at 6 or 7 shots), M7, Envy, even Cool Water. Anything can be too much. Mileage may vary.

I remembered another story.

Turn back time to 2000. I was on a road trip with my family to Yellowstone national park and along the way, we'd make stops (naturally), many of which were at outlet malls where we did a lot of shopping. At one particular mall, I was at the Armani stoe and saw they had AdG (I was 15, okay?) for $30US! I wanted AdG for about a year at this point (OKAY! I WAS FIFTEEN.) and this was a find because in Toronto, AdG was going for $60CAN so $30US = ~$45CAN was cheap. So I ask my mom if she'll buy it for me and she says yes. Yay! (fifteen.. fifteeen..)

So getting back to the car, I quickly ripped apart the package and spritzed myself a few times, drove to another part of the mall and walked around. But... wtf? WTF? Why can't I smell it anymore! So upon arrival at the car, I quickly spray myself again a few more times and we drive to the next section. This happens 4 or 5 more times before I figure I should stop reapplying. I'm not even kidding. I sprayed myself with AdG at least 25 times, if not more. In the span of ~2 hours. In a minivan. Where people sat less than a foot away. Followed by a 4+ hour car ride to the next destination on the trip.

I can't believe what it must have been like for my family/relatives that were sitting in that car.

I was fifteen.

I did this once with CdG Sequoia. I was not detecting the wood note strongly so I sprayed like mad. I ended up smelling like Big Red chewing gum for the rest of the day.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Blog Entries

One time a few weeks ago I went out of town w/ some friends, to go see some other friends. We got to our motel room to freshen up before we met our friends for dinner. I knew we were going out later & I was pretty sure we weren't going to be back to freshen up *again* before we went out, so I basically doused myself w/ Clinique Happy, since I knew it was a pretty short lasting fragrance to begin with. I could still smell it when we got to dinner. I never thought Happy could be overbearing, but oh man. Now here's the weird thing...I apologized to the group if I smelled like an orange grove & that I know I overdid the cologne. But everyone said they couldn't tell, & one even leaned in, sniffed me, & said I smelled nice. They HAD to have just been saying that to be nice, right? I mean not even the group that I rode with right AFTER dousing myself said anything. Sometimes I just wish my friends would tell the truth.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

One roommate either thinks I smell like an old woman or bug spray no matter what I have on.

My other roomate likes everything I ever have on, no matter how much much of it i'm wearing.

My girlfriend seems to think that almost everything is "pretty good" but "not the best" (which is Magnetism).

Others rarely give me opinions. So basically I use a 3 shot standard, and hope for the best. Actually, I wear samples out of vials a lot, so most of the time i just get a bit on my wrists and a bit on my neck. I just discreetly smell myself all day On most days i'm just in it for the pleasure it gives me to analyze scents on myself, so i only use enough to allow that. I can actually pick them apart better when i only have a little on my wrist. That way my i don't get olfactory fatigue from smelling it all day...i just smell it when i want to.

When the occasion calls for it, i'll apply more though. Never more than 3 or 4 sprays though.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Man... I have WAY overapplied A*Men on two different occasions. I'm not a very self-concious person, but I definately was self-concious on those two occasions. I also did this once with Musc Ravageur.

To add to the controversy, let me share a story from the other night:
    I was going to study with some people, and given that as we all know here that any time is a good time for cologne, I doused myself in Live Jazz. I did the thing that some of you mentioned where I was finished spraying and then at the last second decided to put on a whole lot more. Anyways, after 10 minutes of studying, one guy I'm studying with compliments my cologne and then the other guy does something very weird: He says "Weird, I didn't notice it before, but now that you mentioned its presence, it's actually way too strong." He proceded to give me a lesson on the importance of subtlety. Nice guy, but that was a bit annoying. But wait, the saga continues: The girl I was studying with was like confused because she didn't smell anything at all. After all the chatting about my scent she leans in and smells my chest and says oh, that smells good. The some other girl walks into the room and from fairly far away says: "who's wearing cologne? Smells good." I raise my hand, and she says nice, it smells like Reaction. The situation is no longer funny. I sternly (without being mean, I hope) tell her very seriously that no, my scent does not smell like Reaction. That was the end of that argument. Anyways, my stats were 3 compliments and one complaint, and there were huge inconsistencies throughout the night regarding how strongly my scent was percieved by others. Very inconclusive. On the whole though, I think I tend to overapply scents a bit, and in the future am going to slightly lower how much I wear except for the weakest scents and the scents for which I love the top notes.

I usually go for two sprays. One on the chest/neck, one on the wrist. If I am feeling particularily risky, i'll put one on the chest AND neck. Call me conservative, but I am also a fan of being subtle. And also, I've found that people can usually smell me, 4hrs later, on only 2 sprays, even though I cant really even smell it on myself anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LushLife
    I usually go for two sprays. One on the chest/neck, one on the wrist. If I am feeling particularily risky, i'll put one on the chest AND neck. Call me conservative, but I am also a fan of being subtle. And also, I've found that people can usually smell me, 4hrs later, on only 2 sprays, even though I cant really even smell it on myself anymore.
    I totally agree. If you spray more you end up smelling like a whore (it does mean you are vulgar and tasteless).

I heart this thread.

With Musc Ravageur I have definitely overdone it a couple of times. Nobody said anything, but the next time I see this one friend I'm going to ask him if I wasn't in fact reeking. Cause the smell was making me sick... if it wasn't anyone else. . .

One of the times I was sure I over did it I told this friend of my apprehension and he said "I don't smell anyting" then I made him smell my arm and he said "oh yeah I have been smelling that" but not in a bad way, so that time I figured the heavy sillage worked (this was at the best male exotic dance constest so the "porn star" essences projected were in harmony with the milieu at least).

I'm surprised Melograno is considered a sillage monster. I sampled it at SMN and ordered it on ebay cause it was cheap and I told myself while I liked it a lot the reason I would never pay full price was I thought it was way too subtle but I might get it at discount to wear for my own pleasure on occasions when I thought I shouldn't wear anything. It arrived today and I haven't test driven it yet. Am most curious to see what the result is!

Right now, I'm sitting inside an overdose of Le Labo's Iris 39. The first full wearing today; I found it very subtle at first, so I added some sprays more. Now I've learned this fragrance gains substance and sillage from hour to hour. Normally, I'm using fragrances very sparingly in public (at home, that's a different matter), so although the scent is gorgeous, I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable, even if I got some compliments ("oh, something's smelling very interesting in here"). OK, I' ll bear it with dignity.

Great Replies so far guys. Everyday no matter the fragnance I will do one shot to the neck and one shot to the chest. If I want extra sillage I will do that plus a shot to the back of neck.

Oh, such a good topic!

Putting on too much cologne is one of my pet fears - like many here, I like scent to be very subtle. I've said it before, but my philosophy is that while everyone should smell good, other people really shouldn't be aware of a particular fragrance unless they're close enough to hug me. As a result, I never get a comment on fragrance day to day - just from certain, more intimate companions .

My usual application - one spritz to the chest, one to the back of my neck. If a scent is particularly fleeting, I may do two shots to the chest - one on either side. Any more is usually too much for me.

That said, there have been two times when I thought I went overboard - Guerlian Vetiver and YSL M7. I did my normal application - but went around all day in a haze of fragrance - it was like I couldn't really even see through it. I had to eventually ditch both these fragrances - almost full bottles too! the waste! I just couldn't wear them.

I was in a store recently and tried (and eventually got) M7 Fresh. The SA offered me a squirt, but then proceeded to blast my entire arm. I thought I was a goner, but M7 Fresh doesn't seem to have the same awesome power of the original.

Yes, and it's the only time I ever get compliments. .
    Seriously though, living in an urban environment, I don't think there is any point in subtle applications.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I'd rather underapply than overapply. At least I won't irritate those around me.. I usually go with 1-2 sprays only.

This was back in the days when I was still trying to figure out if I love or hate Narciso Rodriguez EDT. I also felt I was somehow anosmiac to the musk there, sometimes I would smell it really strongly, sometimes not at all...

Anyways, I am on the way to meet my graphic designer, and cant' resist stopping at the Bay on the way trying to get rid of that obsessive wondering of what I think of Narciso Rodriguez. I sprayed myself about 5 times - in almost all the pulse points that I could think of that moment. This seemed at the moment like the best thing to do in order to form a solid opinion of the above mentioned fragrance.

I step into my graphic designer's office a few minutes later, and my head is hurting and my eyes are watering. I am feeling utterly uncomfortable and keep twisting in my chair as we go through the different layouts for webpages and labels...

After a few minutes I just had to ask him if he is suffering from this scent I am trying as much as I do, and he says: "I always expect a beautiful scent wafting around when we meet; but this time when you walked through the door I was thinking to myself - what IS that strange smell? it doesn't smell like Ayala!". I kept my chair as far away from him as possible and stared at the screen from far away. Luckily he has that huge MAC screen that you can probably use to show feature films in a theatre, so we kept the meeting sweet and short and I ran home to wash the EDT off (I had to take a shower LOL).

This doesn't happen often, I dab most of my perfumes, and the ones I spray I usually put on early enough to allow them to settle on my skin. I learned which ones are the sillage queens that require careful application (from my favourites there are only very few, fortunately - Ta'if, Chinatown, Yohji and Narciso Rodriguez (which I am now very fond of, by the way), and also in pure parfum I find both Youth Dew and Joy parfums to be very strong and need to be applied with extra caution.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Why So Serious?

If i can still smell it on myself at the end of the day, that'd put me in trouble. If that's the case, at least 50% of the people i came in contact with must've ended up in the hospital or emergency rescue.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

There are some fragrances I can't seem to help myself with. For example, Body Kouros, Fahrenheit, Santos, etc. (I just keep spritzing 'til I feel right.) Others, on the other hand, are so strong that they themselves prevent me from going overboard (e.g., Gucci PH, Knize Ten, Photo, Benetton Colors, Bois de Portugal, etc.).

I always spray about 4 or 5 times no matter what the scent is. Nobody has passed out on the bus or anything like that. My students haven't complained, but that's probably because they can't smell it above their body odour.

I was riding the BART train to my conference in Oakland just last Thursday, dressed sharp and wearing Ambre Sultan Eau Fraiche Parfumée. I guess I had not considered that an Eau Fraiche by SL amounts to an Eau de Parfume by any other standard and since my skin really absorbs fragrance like a sponge I had given myself 8 to 9 sprays. So I got my first perfume "compliment" from a cyclist standing 5 feet away: "Hey someone here is really wearing some heavy perfume".
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

<bites tongue>
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I just got Issey Miyake and I think it's fantastic. I only used two sprays today and I can still smell it kind of, but I dunno about sillage.. is four a good amount with this scent?

it really depends on how strong the cologne is, like if youre wearing something like Le Male, 2 sprays would do you, but something like Armani Mania and FCUK Him (pretty much anything with a watery base) you might want 3 or four sprays.

The first time I wore B*Men was a sunday that I had to work. I don't know if other people have this problem, but my nose is very insensitive in the morning; that is, when I go to apply a frag, I usually wind up wearing more than I want to unless I stop short of what my nose thinks is OK. So anyways, this early sunday morning came after a long night of drinking for my coworkers (but not me), so everyone was collapsed on the breakroom table from their hangovers (their own damned fault).
    I think I had sprayed on 7 or 8 squirts, which is about 4 times as much as I should have worn. I felt terrible all day knowing that I was making everyone's hangover worse.

But I always overapply when I'm home alone. I like having a cloud of smelly goodness around me.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    The first time I wore B*Men was a sunday that I had to work. I don't know if other people have this problem, but my nose is very insensitive in the morning; that is, when I go to apply a frag, I usually wind up wearing more than I want to unless I stop short of what my nose thinks is OK. So anyways, this early sunday morning came after a long night of drinking for my coworkers (but not me), so everyone was collapsed on the breakroom table from their hangovers (their own damned fault).
    I think I had sprayed on 7 or 8 squirts, which is about 4 times as much as I should have worn. I felt terrible all day knowing that I was making everyone's hangover worse.

But I always overapply when I'm home alone. I like having a cloud of smelly goodness around me.

-ben
    That's funny because our sense of smell is actually supposed to be more sensitive in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    This well expresses my own view. A sillage of about 5 feet is about right I think. But more is bad. It isn't just that a lot of people won't tell you that you reek, they will think you're a joke, and the sillage of THAT will just last and last forever. I overdo this all the time, because I think if I can only barely smell it then other people probably can't smell it at all. And then I find that that is not true — and I feel terrible. The problem is I have to learn by trial and error how much of a particular frag is too much, and repeat for every one since they are so different. I also have to remind myself about sensory constancy: the senses react to changes in the stimulus, and if it is constant then they cease to register. So over time you will not register your own scent, but someone coming fresh to it will.

Yesterday I overdid Van Cleef and Arpels and I can still smell it on me today. Not a good feeling.

Spraying M7 40–50 times—well, I just can't imagine how that would go down.
    Actually, it was not that bad. I work with some very blunt coworkers and if i had been killing them with the cologne they definitely would have told me. I have read several comments on this thread that stated after dousing themselves with cologne friends didnt say anything. If they dont say anything then its probably okay.
    Awesomeguy

The only time that I can recall overapplying was when I was a teenager (seems like a lifetime ago!). The fragrance in question was my first ever purchase - Xeryus aftershave.

Before heading off to school, I decided to apply some of the stuff. However, after 2 or 3 squirts, I still couldn't detect it on me. I can no longer recall how many squirts I eventually applied on my body, but it must have been at least 10 ('It's only aftershave, after all' I thought to myself - WRONG!). For the rest of the day, I was reeking of the stuff - every lesson attended that day was an extreme embarassment. Not only was everyone taking the p*** out of me but I completely stank out the classrooms! And, no, I never received a single compliment.

Funnily enough, I can't remember how I managed to finish off that 100ml bottle (no wise comments, please!). However, since that unfortunate day, I now only apply 2-3 squirts - 1 or 2 more if it's a lighter fragrance.

LOL! When I first joined Basenotes several years ago I received for the first time several atomizer decants of Serge Lutens scents, including Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Rahät Loukoum, and Douce Amère. Darned if I didn't end up overapplying each and every one when I started testing them, beginning with Ambre Sultan! Though I'm the boss in my organization, I was dreadfully embarrassed waltzing around the office with clouds of Ambre Sultan wafting all around me! This initial experience must have turned me off to this particular scent, though fortunately my wife loves the scent and is dispatching of the decant.

Jeff

I'm the boss in my organization, too. We recently had a note in Health and Safety Committee that people need to be sensitive as to the amount of cologne/perfume they wear. I had this sick feeling that I might be the culprit. Thank God, I was not.

I asked my Personnel Director, who meets with me a bunch, if I ever wear too much. She is very blunt and not afraid to go toe-to-toe with me. She said "only once". I bet it was the day I wore 6 sprays of New Haarlem! She actually liked D&G PH when I wore it.

My Mom has complained before (Creed OV was the scent), my friend from back home has complained (Egoiste Platinum), but for as long as I've been wearing scents, I've never received much flack.

I'd rather go too light than too heavy. That said, it's about 8 shots of Clinique Happy and the Happy AS Balm today. Hey, I'm the boss!

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    That's funny because our sense of smell is actually supposed to be more sensitive in the morning.

I know- it's weird. My sense of smell also gets blunted right after I get out of the shower. I don't know why, but it's annoying because that is the only other time of day that I apply .

-ben

PS- on a related note, I'm pretty sure I overdid the Geir today. I'm in the paint booth all day, so it's no biggy.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    ....We recently had a note in Health and Safety Committee that people need to be sensitive as to the amount of cologne/perfume they wear.......

Well the H & S people, like the HR mob, have to justify their salaries somehow by busy-bodying around and looking as if they're doing something 'useful'.

The wearing of scent ought to be viewed as a basic human right. Up to 25 sprays over the course of a day (5-10 sprays per application, refreshed 3-4 times) is fair in my opinion.

Personally, I've never felt that I'm wearing "too much cologne". Reading on another thread recently about someone who used 45 sprays of M7 (in one application) made me think they might be overdoing it. But I wouldn't like to judge.
    Last edited by GenuineImitationLife; 18th October 2006 at 05:44 PM.

Wardrobe / Reviews

I put about 6-8 sprays of Chanel Allure Sport on at 8:30. I have class at 1. I hope it dries down to something manageable or I will know I put too much on.

um, with gucci rush, I get the feeling "oh it's not enough" and so like a couple of times I've tried layering other things and... one time, it was really bad. I can't even tell you what all I sprayed on, but it was too much and I went to the gym and was doing a leg work out and the leg stuff is in this room by itself that's usually empty and I was in there by myself and this friend of mine came in (and here is a little disclaimer here he does know about my hobby) and tossed off a really good line that still makes me laugh out loud when I think of it, as he turned on the fan and complained, "It smells like Elizabeth Taylor exploded in here!" I told him you can't make progress without making mistakes.

When I see people giving me chiding glances over their shoulders or feel their stares full of contempt, boring into the back of my neck. I get real self-conscious when I go out and realize that I have too much cologne on. I'd rather my deo give out in public, than feel like I'm gassing everyone with too much Pheromone, Joop!, Opium or Kouros.

S

Allright, since we're all being honest here and sharing our horror stories, I too must admit to being the culprit of overapplication on a couple of occasions. Once was with D&G, and a friend called me out on it (I actually appreciated the honesty). The second time was with A*Men, and no one had to tell me - I knew as soon as I walked out my door that I had seriously over sprayed, but at that point it was too late and there was no turning back...the damage had been done!

I recall when I first got Le Male, which was my first cologne after all (which I got less than a year ago), I was wearing a suit and sprayed about 15-20 sprays, I cannot imagine everyone else's horror who came into contact with me.

Excellent thread... I loaded up on Gendarme the other day (10 sprays) and had lunch with my best friend. He told me that I smelled "skanky." I thanked him for his honesty. I could barely smell the juice myelf.

I also had just the best compliment from a woman the other day wearing The Dreamer at work. She was infatuated with the scent and was going gaga about it, asking me the name of the frag, taking deep breaths. It was border line out of control. She's a good pal so I asked for her honest thoughts thinking I sprayed on way too much -- and she assured me it was perfect and not to worry that I over sprayed. It was 5 sprays - 1 abbs, 2 chest, 1 to the wrists, and 1 to the base of neck. 5 seems to be my lucky number.

I do think it's in our best interest to ask a trusting friend if our frag applications are too much.
    Peace ~ Markymark

the lessons:

1. If your self-conscious, its too much.
    2. If you get nautious, definitely too much.

My worst was when my first (and only) bottle of Creed Royal English Leather came in the mail. I couldn't wait to put it on and drenched myself in it before work. I was a server at the time, and kicked it in five minutes before my first table on a busy weekend. I overheard a guest mention at one point from afar something to the effect that they couldn't smell or taste their food anymore on account of my cologne (this already confirmed my fears) and I went to the restroom three times to wipe off a little of the smell. After the third time my boss asked me if i had some digestive problems. All of the wiping didn't tone it down at all. Instead, the base notes continued all kinds of strong for another hour or so and then disappeared abruptly. I never regained my composure that night (even after it went away) and it was months before i reapplied REL. Needless to say, I only sprayed myself once or twice on my second application.