Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Have you ever known when you put on too much cologne?

Also, are you ever embrassed because you are wafting of cologne and you know people know, but you don't know if they like the smell? I find msyelf giving myself about 4-5 shots of spray and rubbing it off my neck before class because I do not want to reek of it. Am I weird or does anyone else do this sort of thing?

Default Re: Have you ever known when you put on too much cologne?

I know it's arrogance but if I like it.........................

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Actually, there was this one time when I sprayed on Santa Maria Novella's Melograno just before a car ride. No extreme application, just like 2 sprays to the neck. Now mind you, Melograno has some pretty heavy sillage going on, especially in the first hour or so.

I was sitting in the back of the car with my aunt and I myself was nearly breaking down in shame from the sillage. It probably wouldn't have been such an issue if we'd be outside in the stormy winds, but this situation really nailed the fact that I just sprayed on a fragrance.

It's a lovely scent but still.. that moment made me realize that certain fragrances require some time to "cool in" to your skin so that it doesn't overpower on you (and others).
    Last edited by BrothaG; 16th October 2006 at 09:10 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

There can never be "too much cologne" LoL :bounce:
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I've known there were days when I put on too much.

My standard story about this was about New Haarlem.

My first trials of this were from a small sample vial, so I was used to 5 or 6 dabs from the end of my finger.

When I got my first decant, I used 5 or 6 SPRAYS.

I thought it might be a problem when I got in my car to drive to work and my eyes started watering by the time I got to the end of the block.

I KNEW it was a problem when someone smelled me coming from around the corner.

Ever since, I'm much more aware of the sillage beasts in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    Also, are you ever embrassed because you are wafting of cologne and you know people know, but you don't know if they like the smell? I find msyelf giving myself about 4-5 shots of spray and rubbing it off my neck before class because I do not want to reek of it. Am I weird or does anyone else do this sort of thing?
    What scent is it? Maybe you should just apply less, and/or put some of it under your shirt instead of your neck. Rubbing off is no good, and, of course, a waste of the precious juice. There is a difference between simply not liking someones fragrance and suffocating from a cloud of cologne.

Sometimes this happens to me. In general I prefer wearing frags rather for my own delight and for the persons that come close to me. Maybe this is the reason why I don´t get much compliments :-) A few days ago I planned to go to my office on foot (one hour to go) but a friend picked me up with his car full of people I dindn´t know and it was hell for me: Before leaving home I sprayed a good amount of Noir Epices on my wrists, neck and hair and the car was immediately filled with the NE sillage and everyone stared at me: "looks like someone overdid it with perfume". Sure they weren´t aware of how beautifull NE is but I felt bad. I actually hate to much sillage...
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Banned

Smile Re: Have you ever known when you put on too much cologne?

This happened to me with M 7 (Yves Saint Laurent): As participant of a exchange year in university I was invited home by a (foreign) friend from my faculty. The day before the trip (the whole story happened in North Italy) - must have been the last week before christmas 2005 - I had bought M 7.

However, on saturday evening - the evening after my arrival at this friend's home - I put on loads of M 7, at least seven sprays. The whole family of my friend was at home, e.g. himself, mother, father and sister.

Circa two minutes after I had sprayed on M 7 extensively the mother shouted from the kitchen to her daughter, whose room was next to mine: "Put out this horribly scented CANDLE!!!".

I was pretty embarrassed when I entered the kitchen and said: "I'm so sorry, this is my new cologne, I didn't know it was so powerful." But this was such a polite mother. She apologized a thousand times because she for herself couldn't know etc. etc.

So from this moment on I knew at least how "impressive" M 7 is.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    This happened to me with M 7 (Yves Saint Laurent): As participant of a exchange year in university I was invited home by a (foreign) friend from my faculty. The day before the trip (the whole story happened in North Italy) - must have been the last week before christmas 2005 - I had bought M 7.

However, on saturday evening - the evening after my arrival at this friend's home - I put on loads of M 7, at least seven sprays. The whole family of my friend was at home, e.g. himself, mother, father and sister.

Circa two minutes after I had sprayed on M 7 extensively the mother shouted from the kitchen to her daughter, whose room was next to mine: "Put out this horribly scented CANDLE!!!".

I was pretty embarrassed when I entered the kitchen and said: "I'm so sorry, this is my new cologne, I didn't know it was so powerful." But this was such a polite mother. She apologized a thousand times because she for herself couldn't know etc. etc.

So from this moment on I knew at least how "impressive" M 7 is.
    That is hilarious!!! See my post on M7 i just did. I did it before i read this thread too. And, also, there is no such thing as to much cologne. There is such a thing as to little.
    Awesomeguy

The frags I was wearing was Brit and Uomo? Moschino. Usually I over do the number of sprays because I am afraid I will not be able to smell it. Then I think I put too much on causing me to reek of perfume. This happens all the time. I always say I will put on 2 sprays but really want to smell the cologne so I put on more. Then I end up worried that I put on too much cologne and people will notice. I am weird like that.

Too much cologne would be 40-50 sprays of M7; especially when you start smelling like a cinnamon bun!
    -

Oh yeah, I do that too.

I get up and say "I'll spray 3 times", but end up spraying 6 or 7 times.

2 on the chest, 1 on the belly, 1 on the neck, 1 on each wrist, which I share with my ear, and 1 on the neck or on the shirt, for longevity.

But that's just with Lacoste Style in Play, since I don't think that's a heavy scent.

Yes!. But instead i got compliments for it....
    Today I wore about 9 sprays of Insensé (wich is too much for me) and i got about 6 people saying it smelled amazing throughout the day and one even said that "he always smells great" with some sort of fun-envy tint to it.
    It was very surprising and very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    "Put out this horribly scented CANDLE!!!"
    LOL! Beware of M7 candles!
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

I'm always pretty conscious about how much I put on, especially because I have a roommate who doesn't wear cologne(but is radically chill about everything, so it's cool), and I don't want to stink up our room or the hall with two shots of Visit. I sometimes get the comment "your cologne is very strong" from my friend who deliberately does not wear cologne(and also happens to have no sense of fashion and awful technique with the ladies.. he could use an update on the times, but that's beside the point), but that's only immediately after I apply it and I'm going somewhere with him. I usually respond with, "no, it's not." That generally does the trick. It's a battle of individual sensory experiences, and I don't happen to care how he perceives it due to his attitude. I like this mindset and usually follow it in most situations - I can go to a cafe or something and not really care how much I put on, but since I live in a dorm and have enclosed classrooms and lecture halls filled with lots of people in close proximity to me, I tend to be aware of how much sillage I'm putting out. I'd assume I could tell when I'm wearing too much, though.

I'll always underspray rather than overdo it. I'd rather have it be weak and not have AMAZING sillage than reek of it and have everyone around me at uni secretly thinking to themselves "This guy is a f***ing idiot".

The thing is, many people will compliment you on your cologne, but 99% of people would just suck it up and be angry rather than call someone out on overdoing it. An overwhelming majority of people will suffer before creating even a minimal confrontation with a stranger.

Some people on here seem to have no concern for that though, something I disagree with. Even for a big fan of fragrance, there's nothing worse than sitting next to somebody who bathed in even the nicest fragrance out there. It will really lower peoples' opinion of you and it's terribly rude.

So that said, I just usually do a three spray rule for most things, adjusting a little depending on the fragrance (ie. more for something light summery, less for powerful stuff like A*Men or M7). There is no hard and fast way to solve this problem, but I think you can get a feel for it yourself - Don't use the "I can't smell my cologne so I better put more on" logic though lol.

Like I said before, just because three people said you smelled great doesn't mean that eighty people you came across that day were thinking to themselves "This guy reeks of cologne". They just won't tell you.
    Last edited by acehimself; 16th October 2006 at 11:20 PM.

Like Ace, I tend to underspray myself as well. I'd rather leave a gentle trail then hit strangers in the head with a sack of bricks.

I actually prefer wearing my scents very subtle. There are only a few days when I really want to project and on those days, I'll wear more than 2 or 3 sprays.

Hmmm my overapplication story deals with Paco Robanne XS. It's a fresh scent, but a powerful one. Usually one spray is enough of this stuff - that's also due to the fact that the sprayer pumps out a loooooooot of this stuff with only one press. When I first received this in the mail, I had no idea how strong it was. I knew it was a fresh scent so I proceeded to spray myself 4 or 5 times (chest, neck, wrists, back of neck, shirt) before leaving the house to go out with a group of friends. I THOUGHT we were going to meet at the bar but instead, we met up at one of their appartments first. I figured that at a bar, we'd be moving around, walking around, etc. etc. so the scent would never really be able to build up in an area where it would be intolerable. Instead, we met at my friend's small appartment in his little room where everyone was sitting around. I KNEW it was uber strong when I walked into the room and 10 seconds later, my friend asks "Who's wearing cologne?" and proceeded to drill me about what it was and where I got it. Also, I knew I overdid it when some girls arrived and the moment they stepped into the room, one of them asks "Mmmm who smells so good?" and they proceeded to compliment me.

I guess my overdoing it went in my favour since everyone liked the fragrance - but I still feel bad. I can't imagine what it would've been like if it were a different fragrance that was less likable.

My dad also hates fragrances so around him, I almost always HAVE to wear them very subtly or else he'll start complaining.
    Last edited by myaccolades; 16th October 2006 at 11:37 PM.

When I first tried Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme this happened to me. I have since learned that one wide patterned spray to my chest, and one on each thigh is sufficient.

As with most colognes I did the general; one shot to the throat, one on each wrist, and a light spritz on my shirt. I got in the car with my sister and one of her friends. They exclaimed; "Wow! What did you do, rub a lemon all over yourself, and smoke a cigar before you got in the car?" I was like; "No, just experimenting with a new fragrance" *red face*.

The bad thing is -as I sit there in her car I could smell the wafts of heavy tobacco and citrus myself, so strongly it was almost sickening. I have learned to go easy on the trigger with this one since then.
    Join The Revolution. Howard 100 & Howard 101. Sirius Satellite Radio. No More BS!

Also, Hugo Boss Dark Blue.

My uncle had a tester, and he sprayed me 3 or 4 times with it. I was only 12 at the time. I liked the smell and I was a happy camper, but as soon as we got on the cab to make our way back to our home, the smell became stronger and stronger, kinda made me nautious.

I did not buy the fragrance just because of that one experience >_<

I went to my baby sister's wedding a few years back and -- looking back -- I guess I put on WAY too much Antaeus. I mean, it's an incredible scent, and decidedly formal, but WOW -- I thought the other members of the wedding party were going to pass out between the Chanel and the incense.
    My older brother told me that I "smelled like a French whore." (Upon hearing that, I had to remind him that I'm NOT French.)

Quote Originally Posted by acehimself
    I'll always underspray rather than overdo it. I'd rather have it be weak and not have AMAZING sillage than reek of it and have everyone around me at uni secretly thinking to themselves "This guy is a f***ing idiot".

The thing is, many people will compliment you on your cologne, but 99% of people would just suck it up and be angry rather than call someone out on overdoing it. An overwhelming majority of people will suffer before creating even a minimal confrontation with a stranger.

Some people on here seem to have no concern for that though, something I disagree with. Even for a big fan of fragrance, there's nothing worse than sitting next to somebody who bathed in even the nicest fragrance out there. It will really lower peoples' opinion of you and it's terribly rude.

So that said, I just usually do a three spray rule for most things, adjusting a little depending on the fragrance (ie. more for something light summery, less for powerful stuff like A*Men or M7). There is no hard and fast way to solve this problem, but I think you can get a feel for it yourself - Don't use the "I can't smell my cologne so I better put more on" logic though lol.

Like I said before, just because three people said you smelled great doesn't mean that eighty people you came across that day were thinking to themselves "This guy reeks of cologne". They just won't tell you.
    This well expresses my own view. A sillage of about 5 feet is about right I think. But more is bad. It isn't just that a lot of people won't tell you that you reek, they will think you're a joke, and the sillage of THAT will just last and last forever. I overdo this all the time, because I think if I can only barely smell it then other people probably can't smell it at all. And then I find that that is not true — and I feel terrible. The problem is I have to learn by trial and error how much of a particular frag is too much, and repeat for every one since they are so different. I also have to remind myself about sensory constancy: the senses react to changes in the stimulus, and if it is constant then they cease to register. So over time you will not register your own scent, but someone coming fresh to it will.

Yesterday I overdid Van Cleef and Arpels and I can still smell it on me today. Not a good feeling.

Spraying M7 40–50 times—well, I just can't imagine how that would go down.

you guys would be up the creek with a fragrance like musc ravaguer where one spray might be too much...

Today I wore Himalaya, about 4 sprays total. Not sure how much siliage was produced, but I think it was the appropriate amount. Indeed, practice makes perfect but you should probably practice indoors, and alone

Oh sure. I've made my share of poor judgement on the power of certain colognes. Desire, Bulgari Aqua (yes, sillage is pretty powerful to those around you at 6 or 7 shots), M7, Envy, even Cool Water. Anything can be too much. Mileage may vary.

I remembered another story.

Turn back time to 2000. I was on a road trip with my family to Yellowstone national park and along the way, we'd make stops (naturally), many of which were at outlet malls where we did a lot of shopping. At one particular mall, I was at the Armani stoe and saw they had AdG (I was 15, okay?) for $30US! I wanted AdG for about a year at this point (OKAY! I WAS FIFTEEN.) and this was a find because in Toronto, AdG was going for $60CAN so $30US = ~$45CAN was cheap. So I ask my mom if she'll buy it for me and she says yes. Yay! (fifteen.. fifteeen..)

So getting back to the car, I quickly ripped apart the package and spritzed myself a few times, drove to another part of the mall and walked around. But... wtf? WTF? Why can't I smell it anymore! So upon arrival at the car, I quickly spray myself again a few more times and we drive to the next section. This happens 4 or 5 more times before I figure I should stop reapplying. I'm not even kidding. I sprayed myself with AdG at least 25 times, if not more. In the span of ~2 hours. In a minivan. Where people sat less than a foot away. Followed by a 4+ hour car ride to the next destination on the trip.

I can't believe what it must have been like for my family/relatives that were sitting in that car.

I was fifteen.

I did this once with CdG Sequoia. I was not detecting the wood note strongly so I sprayed like mad. I ended up smelling like Big Red chewing gum for the rest of the day.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Blog Entries

One time a few weeks ago I went out of town w/ some friends, to go see some other friends. We got to our motel room to freshen up before we met our friends for dinner. I knew we were going out later & I was pretty sure we weren't going to be back to freshen up *again* before we went out, so I basically doused myself w/ Clinique Happy, since I knew it was a pretty short lasting fragrance to begin with. I could still smell it when we got to dinner. I never thought Happy could be overbearing, but oh man. Now here's the weird thing...I apologized to the group if I smelled like an orange grove & that I know I overdid the cologne. But everyone said they couldn't tell, & one even leaned in, sniffed me, & said I smelled nice. They HAD to have just been saying that to be nice, right? I mean not even the group that I rode with right AFTER dousing myself said anything. Sometimes I just wish my friends would tell the truth.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

One roommate either thinks I smell like an old woman or bug spray no matter what I have on.

My other roomate likes everything I ever have on, no matter how much much of it i'm wearing.

My girlfriend seems to think that almost everything is "pretty good" but "not the best" (which is Magnetism).

Others rarely give me opinions. So basically I use a 3 shot standard, and hope for the best. Actually, I wear samples out of vials a lot, so most of the time i just get a bit on my wrists and a bit on my neck. I just discreetly smell myself all day On most days i'm just in it for the pleasure it gives me to analyze scents on myself, so i only use enough to allow that. I can actually pick them apart better when i only have a little on my wrist. That way my i don't get olfactory fatigue from smelling it all day...i just smell it when i want to.

When the occasion calls for it, i'll apply more though. Never more than 3 or 4 sprays though.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Man... I have WAY overapplied A*Men on two different occasions. I'm not a very self-concious person, but I definately was self-concious on those two occasions. I also did this once with Musc Ravageur.

To add to the controversy, let me share a story from the other night:
    I was going to study with some people, and given that as we all know here that any time is a good time for cologne, I doused myself in Live Jazz. I did the thing that some of you mentioned where I was finished spraying and then at the last second decided to put on a whole lot more. Anyways, after 10 minutes of studying, one guy I'm studying with compliments my cologne and then the other guy does something very weird: He says "Weird, I didn't notice it before, but now that you mentioned its presence, it's actually way too strong." He proceded to give me a lesson on the importance of subtlety. Nice guy, but that was a bit annoying. But wait, the saga continues: The girl I was studying with was like confused because she didn't smell anything at all. After all the chatting about my scent she leans in and smells my chest and says oh, that smells good. The some other girl walks into the room and from fairly far away says: "who's wearing cologne? Smells good." I raise my hand, and she says nice, it smells like Reaction. The situation is no longer funny. I sternly (without being mean, I hope) tell her very seriously that no, my scent does not smell like Reaction. That was the end of that argument. Anyways, my stats were 3 compliments and one complaint, and there were huge inconsistencies throughout the night regarding how strongly my scent was percieved by others. Very inconclusive. On the whole though, I think I tend to overapply scents a bit, and in the future am going to slightly lower how much I wear except for the weakest scents and the scents for which I love the top notes.

I usually go for two sprays. One on the chest/neck, one on the wrist. If I am feeling particularily risky, i'll put one on the chest AND neck. Call me conservative, but I am also a fan of being subtle. And also, I've found that people can usually smell me, 4hrs later, on only 2 sprays, even though I cant really even smell it on myself anymore.