Code of Conduct

Question Gucci Envy v Gucci pour homme

Hi all,

I am a big fan of Envy and from reading some of the reviews on BN, am I right in thinking that PH is quite similar? It seems that PH has that same warm woody scent to it...I recall one reader describing it as having a campfire scent to it...

I will eventually try it out but am finding it hard to track down at the moment...for some reason!

Thanks,

J.

Default Re: Gucci Envy v Gucci pour homme

They are not very similar at all!

Gucci pour Homme has no warm vanilla in it to make it oriental. It is a strait woody scent. It has a very noticable cedar note that makes it smell completely different than Envy. Envy is a little spicey to me. It's deffintately a woody oriental.

I think they are different. Someone else?

Gucci Pour Homme is very different from Envy indeed. Envy is sweet and spicy, whereas GPH is dry and patchouli-laden and masculine in a Seventies retro kind of way. I love both, but get a lot more compliments from the Gucci Pour Homme than the Envy. Both -- IMHO -- are decidedly "cold weather" frags.

Gucci PH is very, very powerful on the cedar.

There's this room in my house which is designed to be a sauna but has none of the equipment except cedar walls and a bench - I put some stuff in there to store the other day and it smells just like Gucci PH. It also has an incense smell to it as well.

People say it smells like an old church and I think that's very fitting. Go into a sauna though and it's that smell along with a bunch of incense.

Really nothing alike to Envy, which I enjoy much more than PH.

I've refinished cedar chests using 100% natural cedar oil and Gucci PH smells nothing of the kind.

Gucci PH is a masterful blend which does not contain a single drop of what makes 95% of all other masculine fragrances smell alike...sandalwood. If you don't want to be announced by your cologne, Gucci PH should be in your wardrobe.

Envy is similar but has a sharper clean note and is a bit sweeter than PH.

Both should be used in moderation, but even more so with Envy.

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    I've refinished cedar chests using 100% natural cedar oil and Gucci PH smells nothing of the kind.

Gucci PH is a masterful blend which does not contain a single drop of what makes 95% of all other masculine fragrances smell alike...sandalwood. If you don't want to be announced by your cologne, Gucci PH should be in your wardrobe.

Really? I guess my sauna is built out of a masterful blend of ingredients then because I just did a little tester to make sure I wasn't imagining and a whiff of Gucci Ph followed by a deep inhale inside the sauna room have something very, very much in common.

It has a greater depth than just the woody elements, but that's the basis for the fragrance.
    Last edited by acehimself; 17th October 2006 at 02:21 AM.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by acehimself
    Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe

[quote]

Really? I guess my sauna is built out of a masterful blend of ingredients then because I just did a little tester to make sure I wasn't imagining and a whiff of Gucci Ph followed by a deep inhale inside the sauna room have something very, very much in common.

It has a greater depth than just the woody elements, but that's the basis for the fragrance.
    Your "cedar" sauna may very well have been constructed of Alder which is quite common where aromatic cedar is non-existant also, nothing like Gucci pour Homme. I can't tell you what you're are smelling, but it is neither cedar nor Gucci PH. . . . . . . . take a breath!

Additionally, (and also as you've just admitted)...ANY sample snift directly from the bottle is NOTHING as it is intended to be. Get real!...you've been reading too many reviews.
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 17th October 2006 at 07:25 AM.

On the back of my hand, Gucci ph turned from a heavy smoky woody fragrance to a rather pure frankincense experience within 5-10 minutes, I find it very churchy, and VERY different from Envy. I appreciate the scent, but can't picture me wearing it. Well maybe in a black suit or something like that. I'll keep that sample vial for any special occasion that might arrive...

As people have mentioned, they indeed have nothing (or very little) in common. If you're looking for a scent that is similar to Envy: try Floris Santal or Eau de Santal Extreme. Slightly similar to Gucci PH: Gucci Rush. By the way, I think there was a thread exactly like this a week ago?
    Last edited by BrothaG; 17th October 2006 at 01:18 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

I gotta try Gucci pour Homme. I just can't find it in the stores. Has anyone seen it in Tj Maxx by any chance?...or Dillards?

And about the sauna thing. Alot of saunas are made out of Abachi or Cedrela oderata wood, both of which are virtually rot resistant. Cedrela is sold under Spanish Cedar, but is neither a cedar or from Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution
    I gotta try Gucci pour Homme. I just can't find it in the stores. Has anyone seen it in Tj Maxx by any chance?...or Dillards?

And about the sauna thing. Alot of saunas are made out of Abachi or Cedrela oderata wood, both of which are virtually rot resistant. Cedrela is sold under Spanish Cedar, but is neither a cedar or from Spain.
    yes! I posted under the "new Gucci pour homme" thread last week...
    I saw a Gucci PH giftset at TJMaxx for 34.99 big bottles of EdT and Aftershave a good deal. ALSO, there are smaller 1oz? "travel sprays" of Gucci PH floating around TJ's and Marshalls for 19.99 (that's what I got). Lastly, check on pricegrabber.com and you should be able to find GpH for cheap (if you can wait...)
    mc

Hello,

Thanks for all your comments.

I finally found a bottle of Gucci PH today and was so impressed that I bought it! I love it, it really does have that church/bonfire smell to it that I love in my fragrances; my next purchase is gonna by Etro's Messe de Minuit in fact!

Just smelling it at the moment and having sprayed it on around 4 hours ago, the scent is now a sweet one with a kind of fig note to it IMHO.

Glad I found it!

Thanks again,

J.

p.s. Yes, it's clear that Envy and PH are not similar at all.

I bought Messe de Minuit because it's an incense type fragrance, but it smells more like a place where incense HAD been burned, many years ago, rather than the incense itself. I've never been in a cathedral, old or new. Nor have I ever been to a mass, but I can get an idea from what I've heard.

I can't really relate to the associations it has with cathedrals, but I relate on the description of it being a somewhat moody and melancholy fragrance. It's quite warm on first blast, but then a cold wind blows and it becomes quite gloomy.

S