Code of Conduct

Question A newbie needs inspiration......

Greetings Beautiful People,

I have enjoyed the olfactory nirvana that is Basenotes for some time now, and finally joined.

I 'need' a new going out/night time fragrance. I currently wear Dior Homme, Escada Magnetism, D&G By Man, Eau de Cartier as my night time fragrance. I'll attempt to describe the vibe/feel I'm after.

It's a mild evening. I'm standing on the balcony of a bar over looking an ocean beach. I'm attempting ( and I do mean attempting) to look thoroughly irresistable. The look is 'preppy'- designer jeans and pastel polo (with collar up- not sure why...)

What fragrance am I wearing???

Funksta

Default Re: A newbie needs inspiration......

Oh dear.

First of all, put the collar down.

I'd suggest Eau Sauvage if you want to go the full preppy, but to me that seems more a daytime fragrance.

How about Comme des Garcons Men 2 (the one in the brown bottle)?

Zino Davidoff or Azzaro PH or Platinum Egoiste

Dior Bois d'Argent

Blog Entries

Creed Millesime Imperial
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I was thinking Kenzo pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Funksta
    The look is 'preppy'- designer jeans and pastel polo (with collar up- not sure why...)

What fragrance am I wearing???
    Acqua di Gio and "collar up" go hand-in-hand.

Chanel Bois des Îles.

And welcome to the board.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Sounds like a scene for Caron's Yatagan to me.

Welcome to the board is right!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Collar up is simply ... Unforgivable
    Collar down is Adolfo Dominguez U Black for Men, to name something not anybody else at the party would be wearing...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Acqua di Gio, Curve. You'll love it.

Creed Erolfa.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

He wants nighttime fragrance. While AdG and Unforgivable are pretty collar-up, they're better for daytime, yeah? Try Armani Code. That's where it's at.

Thanks all for 'informative' replies

The quest continues. I'm trying to find something a little more unusual than Aqua di Gio and similar generic frags. Would Aqua Motu fit my description? I've read favourable reviews. The look might be college preppy, but with a twist. I'm pushing 30 (although admittedly dress sense suggests 21...)

Funksta

p.s. collar up

You go the collar up if it makes you happy! (I wonder if the up-turned collar as we know it is a world wide thing or something peculiar to Australian university students/grads - I've never bothered to take notice until now... perhaps I should).

The obvious suggestion would of course be something by Ralph Lauren, but since obvious is not what you're after (and because I'm not a fan and therefore couldn't with good conscience recommend a Ralph fragrance) then maybe Must de Cartier? Maybe Visit? Terre d'Hermès is good, but maybe not so "nighttime"... Otherwise, I don't think you need go further than Magnetism, which you already have and is a great choice.

Still going with Armani Code.

@ Admin: This thread did well in the "Just starting out" section. A few days ago it was there. Why is it here by now?

At the same time my thread ("Who fakes GIT at basenotes?") has been moved to "Help Features Request", where nobody is going to answer it.
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 19th October 2006 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    @ Admin: This thread did well in the "Just starting out" section. A few days ago it was there. Why is it here by now?

At the same time my thread ("Who fakes GIT at basenotes?") has been moved to "Help Features Request", where nobody is going to answer it.
    This thread was started twice within minutes, once on the Just Starting Out board and once here on the Male Fragrance Discussion board. The moderator of the JSO board locked the thread there because of the one here, which already had several replies. (It's a basenotes rule to post on one board only, and I had a very nice PM exchange with Funksta who was gracious and apologetic about the mistake.) Sorry for all confusion.

Regarding the thread on "who fakes GIT at basenotes," I didn't move it so I can't be certain of the motivations behind the move; however, there are probably several good ones. Among them: it's a question of an image that is displayed on the site, and that's one properly addressed by Grant, who's in charge and control of the images presented on the site; it's also a question of where Grant will see and reply to such a question about an image on the site, and he's far more likely to see it on the Help, Features Requests board than on this board. In fact, it is there where he aswers questions about the Website.

Thanks!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.